Computer messed up no idea what to do.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I recently got a new computer: Specs below.

XFX 7800GTX
FX55
1gig ram 2sticks 512
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
74 gig raptor 10,000
320 gig 7200

Yesterday i was playing some good old CS 1.6 when my game started locking up. Locked up once i thought it was server then it stayed there for a while so i thought the game locked. Then it went back to normal so i had a chance to alt tab. Before i can press ctrl alt delete the DT locked up. So i restarted my computer.

As soon as its about to hit the windows loading screen (right before it does) a blue screen error flashes (to fast to read) and computer restarts. It just keeps doing this.

Now im hoping its not the HD and its just a boot error. But the bios is so different then my last dell. I dont know how to run any diagnostics.

Oh ya it also sends me to the screen where it says "we apologize for the inconvenience...windows did not start sucessfully...recent hardware or software changes may have caused this." it then gives me five options: Start windows normally, Start windows with last known good configuration, safe mode, safe mode with cmd prompt, and safe mode with networking.

I tryed all. Safe mode starts to load i see all these cmds running then i see a blue screenflash and restart.

Have any idea what the problem is?

thx for the help!

I had this last week. A format fixed it for me.

The screen that flashed up for me (really quickly also) seemed like the memory error screen. The computer worked before this started, after a few restarts though it started to do that.

I think for me it was a dodgey windows install.

Press F8 while the PC boots to get the boot menu for XP. Then select the option "Do not automatically reboot" or somethin like that. Then you can see the blue screen error, research the error code and possibly fix whatever the error is.

Comp just started worked for 25 secs and locked up again. Now im back to same problem. (just got home and tryed turning it on)

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1694000

I dont see it in my boot menu.

Ill try the bios.

Btw im trying to avoid a reinstall of windows. I m ean if i can back up some stuff it would be great then i can reformat.

I had this a while back, infact, a reformat did not help properly.
The problem will most likely return unless you find out what caused it.
Are you using a legal version of Windows XP?
Have you checked your RAM? MemTest

After about 2 reinstalls within 2 months, we switched to Linux. No problems at all now. Yes, the Windows Recovery Console = Useless. Tried to recopy stuff over from the Windows XP CD with no success.

Yes i have a legal nice looking windows cd lol.

I just took out my 2nd ram stick and comp works. Going to try and run a memtest on it.

and can i run a memtest without a floopy? Because my floopy drive doesnt like to format disk. No idea whats up with that.

Btw how do i run a full test on everything in comp? Just to make sure everything else is working good.

EDIT: Well i just swapped the ram and both make my comp work fine a lone. Going to see if it starts with both in?

Ok I swapped Ram cards. Each works by it self. Going to test with both next. But before i do im going to make this post.

On my ram box and ram itself it says. XMS3200 512MB 400MHz 2.2.2.5

Now when i went to see if everything was reading well on the ram this is what i got.

Check out the 2 pics. Why does it say 200MHz and not 400MHz and the clocks are not 2.2.2.5

Attachments

• Ram1.JPG
    Ram1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Ram2.JPG
    Ram2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 192
DDR = double data rate, so the 200 you see is doubled to give 400mhz memory frequency. Whatever the fsb is set at in the bios is doubled to give the memory frequency.

Did these sticks come as a dual channel set ? And are those ram timings the ones that the ram should be running at ?

Timings that are too tight for the memory could cause a crash, or incompatibility between two sticks in dual channel mode could also. And as they both seem to work separately it would seem that this could be an issue with the sticks running in dual channel mode.

Edit: checked those ram sticks and those are the right timings, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Edit 2: have you tried both sticks in a non-dual channel configuration ?

3ssence said:
DDR = double data rate, so the 200 you see is doubled to give 400mhz memory frequency. Whatever the fsb is set at in the bios is doubled to give the memory frequency.

Did these sticks come as a dual channel set ? And are those ram timings the ones that the ram should be running at ?

Timings that are too tight for the memory could cause a crash, or incompatibility between two sticks in dual channel mode could also. And as they both seem to work separately it would seem that this could be an issue with the sticks running in dual channel mode.

Edit: checked those ram sticks and those are the right timings, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Edit 2: have you tried both sticks in a non-dual channel configuration ?

I put them both in yesterday tryed it and it work and still working. Yes both came together and both say they should run at 2.2.2.5, but they arent. Why is that?

I thought those pics you posted showed them running at those timings ? Or is that just the program reading the supposed timings ?

You can change the ram timings in the bios as glirk says. Try setting the timings to what they should be, then run them in dual channel config again and see if it works.

Back