Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
How the U.S. Uses Globalization to Cheat Poor Countries Out of Trillions

"Jackals are C.I.A.-sanctioned people that come in and try to foment a coup or revolution. If that doesn't work, they perform assassinations. or try to. In the case of Iraq, they weren't able to get through to Saddam Hussein." - John Perkins

listened to an interview with former US Chief Economist John Perkins last night responsible for setting up economic "hits" on third world governments.

summary: the US uses economic hitmen to set up third world countries with loans that are unpayable in order to force the government to bend to it's will ...this is willingly done by the governments themselves as they're corrupt to begin with and pocket huge sums of cash from their "partnership" with the US ...but there are reprecusions ..or what the CIA calls "blowback" ...9/11 is blowback for the aquisition of Saudi arabia

here's some of the interview:

"We speak with John Perkins, a former respected member of the international banking community. In his book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man he describes how as a highly paid professional, he helped the U.S. cheat poor countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars by lending them more money than they could possibly repay and then take over their economies"

"Basically what we were trained to do and what our job is to do is to build up the American empire. To bring -- to create situations where as many resources as possible flow into this country, to our corporations, and our government, and in fact we’ve been very successful. We’ve built the largest empire in the history of the world. It's been done over the last 50 years since World War II with very little military might, actually. It's only in rare instances like Iraq where the military comes in as a last resort. This empire, unlike any other in the history of the world, has been built primarily through economic manipulation, through cheating, through fraud, through seducing people into our way of life, through the economic hit men. I was very much a part of that."

here's what they do in a nutshell:

"my real job was deal-making. It was giving loans to other countries, huge loans, much bigger than they could possibly repay. One of the conditions of the loan–let's say a $1 billion to a country like Indonesia or Ecuador–and this country would then have to give ninety percent of that loan back to a U.S. company, or U.S. companies, to build the infrastructure–a Halliburton or a Bechtel. These were big ones. Those companies would then go in and build an electrical system or ports or highways, and these would basically serve just a few of the very wealthiest families in those countries. The poor people in those countries would be stuck ultimately with this amazing debt that they couldn’t possibly repay."

"So, we literally have them over a barrel. So, when we want more oil, we go to Ecuador and say, “Look, you're not able to repay your debts, therefore give our oil companies your Amazon rain forest, which are filled with oil.” And today we're going in and destroying Amazonian rain forests, forcing Ecuador to give them to us because they’ve accumulated all this debt

this is how they economically hit Saudi arabia:

"...we went to Saudi Arabia in the early seventies. We knew Saudi Arabia was the key to dropping our dependency, or to controlling the situation. And we worked out this deal whereby the Royal House of Saud agreed to send most of their petro-dollars back to the United States and invest them in U.S. government securities. The Treasury Department would use the interest from these securities to hire U.S. companies to build Saudi Arabia–new cities, new infrastructure–which we’ve done. And the House of Saud would agree to maintain the price of oil within acceptable limits to us, which they’ve done all of these years, and we would agree to keep the House of Saud in power as long as they did this, which we’ve done, which is one of the reasons we went to war with Iraq in the first place."

the most important part:

"And in Iraq we tried to implement the same policy that was so successful in Saudi Arabia, but Saddam Hussein didn't buy. When the economic hit men fail in this scenario, the next step is what we call the jackals. Jackals are C.I.A.-sanctioned people that come in and try to foment a coup or revolution. If that doesn't work, they perform assassinations. or try to. In the case of Iraq, they weren't able to get through to Saddam Hussein. He had -- His bodyguards were too good. He had doubles. They couldn’t get through to him. So the third line of defense, if the economic hit men and the jackals fail, the next line of defense is our young men and women, who are sent in to die and kill, which is what we’ve obviously done in Iraq."

very interesting read ...there's further revelations that the CIA assasinated Panamanian President Omar Torrijos and president of ecuador Jaime Roldós for not playing ball

here's more info/links

http://www.economichitman.com/
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1119-24.htm
http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/messages/467/2028164.html

hmmm no comments?

to reiterate:

"And in Iraq we tried to implement the same policy that was so successful in Saudi Arabia, but Saddam Hussein didn't buy. When the economic hit men fail in this scenario, the next step is what we call the jackals. Jackals are C.I.A.-sanctioned people that come in and try to foment a coup or revolution. If that doesn't work, they perform assassinations. or try to. In the case of Iraq, they weren't able to get through to Saddam Hussein. He had -- His bodyguards were too good. He had doubles. They couldn’t get through to him. So the third line of defense, if the economic hit men and the jackals fail, the next line of defense is our young men and women, who are sent in to die and kill, which is what we’ve obviously done in Iraq."

it fits in with all the pieces

That sounds like bull to me, but it could be possible. Is that confirmed?

is it confirmed? did you read the article? this is not second hand experience ..he's writing about it from his own personal experiences as a Economic hitman ..he witnessed it first hand because that was his job

True, but this reminds me of an Ex Area 51 worker that started blabbing about all sorta of fnatastic things...didnt prove it was true.
Not doubting you, but it sounds a little to far fetched.

And no, i didnt read the article, sorry :eek:

I did read the article, but are there any other sources as of yet top confirm what he is doing. I mean it says there he has been interviews by Tv and radio and his book is a bestseller, but I haven´t heard anyting before this of him.

Edit, plus people like to exagerate a little in books to make people buy them, on the other hand the truth is often way more shocking then people can imagine. Hmmm...

Grey Fox said:
I did read the article, but are there any other sources as of yet top confirm what he is doing. I mean it says there he has been interviews by Tv and radio and his book is a bestseller, but I haven´t heard anyting before this of him.

Edit, plus people like to exagerate a little in books to make people buy them, on the other hand the truth is often way more shocking then people can imagine. Hmmm...

well to be honest I havent read the book, but there's 10 pages of footnotes that lists his sources I just cant find it ...I just dont see someone going into that much depth for the sake of perpetuating a lie ..read the full transcript there's just too many references to events that happened for this to be the figment of someone's imagination

no mainstream american media will touch him or his book unless he makes a statement that says it's a work of fiction ..which he wont do. He's blacklisted by mainstream media.

here's an examination of the paper trail of money being sent to 3rd world countries by economic hitmen

http://globaldialoguecenter.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=131

here's the entire interview:

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/31/1546207&mode=thread&tid=25

here's a few reviews:

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2004/site_packages/econ_hitmen/3148perkins_review.html

here's another interview with perkins

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/natint/stories/s1388750.htm

here's another economic hitman John Train ..very interesting read that sheds light into a narrowly averted assassination of former presidential cadidiate and US labour party founder Lyndon LaRouche

http://www.larouchepac.com/pages/writings_files/2004/041228_ss_09_prt.htm

my head is spinning there's just so much information to sift thru

Scary indeed, and sickening. But let's not forget that the US has debts too. $7.9 trillion, to be specific.

I have that book!!!! Very interesting stuff. I haven't finished it yet.

Pretty scary stuff if it's true but entertaining if it's not.

I was watching C-Span one morning and they had some book program on with Perkins discussing his book in a Barnes and Noble. The title of the book caught my attention so I watched it until it was done. Seemed really interesting so I bought it that week.

try not to be so close minded for a change and read everything I've posted

satch919 said:
Please insert brain now.

*crickets chirping*

Yeah, I had a hunch noone else found yours funny. <continues to listen to crickets>

And this is what Publisher's Weekly had to say about this gentleman's book:

"Perkins spent the 1970s working as an economic planner for an international consulting firm, a job that took him to exotic locales like Indonesia and Panama, helping wealthy corporations exploit developing nations as, he claims, a not entirely unwitting front for the National Security Agency. He says he was trained early in his career by a glamorous older woman as one of many "economic hit men" advancing the cause of corporate hegemony. He also says he has wanted to tell his story for the last two decades, but his shadowy masters have either bought him off or threatened him until now. The story as presented is implausible to say the least, offering so few details that Perkins often seems paranoid, and the simplistic political analysis doesn’t enhance his credibility. Despite the claim that his work left him wracked with guilt, the artless prose is emotionally flat and generally comes across as a personal crisis of conscience blown up to monstrous proportions, casting Perkins as a victim not only of his own neuroses over class and money but of dark forces beyond his control. His claim to have assisted the House of Saud in strengthening its ties to American power brokers may be timely enough to attract some attention, but the yarn he spins is ultimately unconvincing, except perhaps to conspiracy buffs."

There are far more compelling works that cover the same ground without the sort of credibility problems and conspiracy theory tales that this man presents.

ummm Publishers weekly is a right wing publishing house that mostly publishes right-wing books ..if they didnt dismiss him (unsubstantiated of course) I'd be surprised
...btw did you know that Publishers Weekly uses anonymous reviewers?

oops sorry I mistook them for Crown Forum publishing who've put Publishers weekly in the spotlight for Michael moore's books ..still I dont see how you can dismiss him based on that one review. I've posted positive reviews if you'd like to take a look

This is starting to affect my blind faith in the system.

Oh yes - Crown Forum Publishing is very right-wing so is Regency. I did read some of those reviews but my problem with him stems from this:

I won't be a hypocrite and I'll freely admit that in my wildest dreams I actually wish that most of what he wrote was absolutely true because I would feel a lot better about the United States government itself.

But my problem with him is that all evidence points to the contrary - he gives the United States government far too much credit in being able to actually implement such policies efficiently and effectively. From what I can tell, the government of the United States of America might very well be the most incompetent and dysfunctional organization on the planet and would therefore be incapable of actually bringing such schemes to effective fruition. Any "success" in implement such schemes would appear to be the result of sheer dumb luck rather than the outcome of any strategy or planning.

In short, my doubts about his credibility stem not that I don't want to believe that the US government did those things but rather that the US government is intellectually and functionally incapable of doing those things due to its own lumbering incompetence.

you dont give them enough credit. They're no stranger to regime change

Oh I'm well aware of that - in fact, it might be the only thing it does "relatively" well (usually with a bit of a mess - the French and British used to do it far more cleanly). But lots of those other things are just way way beyond the intellectual capacity of most senior government officials.

yes but that usually takes a heck of a lot of man power and resources ..they must be good at it because they've been so successful. I'm not saying that it's a certainty ..it's pausible maybe even probable imho

Interesting read. Dispicable if true, however......not doubting it.

When do the aliens come in?

I could see it being true, but it is simply too far fetched and he could be making it all up. Sounds like something someone who hates Bush so much would forge something like this in an attempt to rally more people to get him impeached. Isn't the first time for forged documents against Bush.

interesting stuff, what else do we have to go by aswell, we dont truely know the inner workings of the system.

Its like communisim, it became sour and corrupt at the core, so has democracey if this is true, its just what we call 'democracey' sets up in such a way that it hardly ever comes to the surface.

I could see it being true, but it is simply too far fetched and he could be making it all up. Sounds like something someone who hates Bush so much would forge something like this in an attempt to rally more people to get him impeached. Isn't the first time for forged documents against Bush.

I don't find it all that disbelievable when you consider history. Sadly. :(

Nice read. I like reading, adds a whole new level to the current world situation.

Glirk Dient said:
When do the aliens come in?

wtf are you talking about? bush isnt mentioned anywhere, not even once ..way to prove that you didnt read any of it

mhm.. If this is true thats sad but If the democrats come 2 power will they follow the same strategy?

read the article ..his career lasted more than 4 years

CptStern said:
wtf are you talking about? bush isnt mentioned anywhere, not even once ..way to prove that you didnt read any of it

You wouldn't be bringing this up if a democrat was in office.

Wow pretty excellant read.

I agree with you on that totally stern.
The article you linked and quoted to as well is awesome!

Glirk Dient said:
You wouldn't be bringing this up if a democrat was in office.

if you had bothered to read the articles you'd see that he served under both the democrats and republicans ...you should try to resist that impulse you have to bring up partisan politics everytime I post something about the US

Back