Contagious Cancer killing off entire species

MJ12

The Freeman
Reaction score
What is killing the Tasmanian devil? A virulent cancer is infecting them by the thousands -- and unlike most cancers, it's contagious. Researcher Elizabeth Murchison tells us how she's fighting to save the Taz, and what she's learning about all cancers from this unusual strain. Contains disturbing images of facial cancer.

Shouldn't have spun so fast.

I don't know why I'm so stupid when it comes to the geography of New Zealand and Tasmania. I always picture them on the northeast side of Australia but they're really on the southeast.

20110922195436capture.png

Whoa dude... whoa... relax.

I do find it fascinating though. The cancer is essentially the same living being even though it's on so many other devils.

Boy... Pat Robertson is going to have a field day with this one. Devils... exinct? Oh lord almighty!

I always questioned what would happen if Cancer was contagious, even before hearing about it in movies. I'm willing to bet some cancers even today are contagious to humans but that's just a guess

We would quarantine it like any other infectious disease that threatens to spread into the population disastrously, or at least make the attempt.

I always questioned what would happen if Cancer was contagious, even before hearing about it in movies. I'm willing to bet some cancers even today are contagious to humans but that's just a guess

It's well established that some viruses contribute significantly to cancer. HPV for example. Their infection mechanisms mess up some of the same cellular machinery which regulate the cell cycle which prevents cancers from occurring.

Actual cancers being infectious is much more rare, as they are more likely to be recognised as foreign and attacked by the immune system of other individuals. Only three are known. With tasmanian devils and hamsters it is occurring species with very low genetic diversity, and thus little difference in immune recognition sites on cells between individuals. Dogs can also get CTVT - a transmissible cancer which sometimes reduces immune response, but as this isn't terribly efficient it rarely metastasises.

For some reason it reminds me of that indestructible cancer that was taken out of that woman.

I'll remove her tumor if you know what I'm saying.

I cant watch the video. Is this spread via a virus that spurs cancer, or is literally the cancer itself contagious? If the cancer itself is literally contagious thats pretty damn crazy. If they mean something like how cervical cancer spreads thats a different story.

Back