Could God commit suicide?

Could God commit suicide?

• Total voters
Could God create an object so heavy that even he couldn't lift it?

Blahblah conondrums

god is inmortal so he literaly dont die since he is not living but is the supreme being and all that shit

he will go like

god: hey watch this *stab knife in heart and tear its flesh while smiling*

everybody: oooohhhhhhh

zombie: I can also do that

god: shut it!*slaps zombie*

We'd be created in his image- his ZOMBIE IMAGE
and we'd eat satanists, who would be the only people alive. That's probably ironic or something.

God Kills himself in Begotten. What would happen you ask? Mother Nature would be birthed out of his ass, she'd then jack off dead God and smear his semen into her vagina to make Jesus of course-

Skip to 1:50, he's the guy sitting in the chair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_amNctaTFlw

This is an extension of the Problem of Omnipotence.

"Can God create a rock that not even He could lift?"

Two valid answers:
1. Of course not, he's all powerful!
2. Of course he can, he can do anything!

Both of these are contradictory, so there is no solution to the problem that does not involve limiting God's power. In short, it is impossible for anything to be "all-powerful" for this very reason.

A further extension of this is that God cannot be all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good at the same time:

1. We observe that there exists evil and suffering int he world.
2. If God be all-knowing, he must know of this evil, so why does he not stop it?
3. If God be all-powerful, then he chooses to not stop it, which would make him evil.
4. If God be all-good, then he must not be all powerful, because he would certainly choose to stop it.
5. If God is not all-knowing, why call him God?

Some possible answers:
1. The world is already the best it can possibly be.
2. God promotes "higher-order good" by allowing "lower order evil"
3. God is some combination of all-powerful, all-good, and all-knowing, but not all three
4. God does not exist.

Reality begins to fade because God's true name is written on every atom of creation, but Lucifer will move us all to a parallel dimension, but that will eff up for reasons unknown and then God will instead give the job of God over to the Archangel Michael's Daughter, who will stablise all of creation with her will alone.

Reality begins to fade because God's true name is written on every atom of creation, but Lucifer will move us all to a parallel dimension, but that will eff up for reasons unknown and then God will instead give the job of God over to the Archangel Michael's Daughter, who will stablise all of creation with her will alone.
Yeah I was pretty much gonna say that.

The reason I made this thread was that I talked to a guy a while ago. His idea what that God had once existed, but had since died, and wondered if that philosophy should be considered theism, deism, atheism or none of the three. We they got into the discussion of how God could've died. We figured murder, disease or accident wasn't a possibility, since God is omnipotent and thus could prevent all that. Suicide was thus the only only option left to explain the death of God. (Please try to avoid bringing in Nietzsche in this, as his idea of the death of God was much more abstract and metaphorical than what I'm talking about.)

I can't see why not. I don't see how God killing itself would somehow limit it being all powerful, or all knowing during its lifetime. Unless being all powerful and all knowing implies you have to be so perpetually.

Stupid poll. IMO.

EDIT: I'm not calling the OP stupid, I just think this is a ridiculous question.

Two valid answers:

Both of these are contradictory, so there is no solution to the problem that does not involve limiting God's power. In short, it is impossible for anything to be "all-powerful" for this very reason.

A further extension of this is that God cannot be all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good at the same time:

2. If God be all-knowing, he must know of this evil, so why does he not stop it?
3. If God be all-powerful, then he chooses to not stop it, which would make him evil.
4. If God be all-good, then he must not be all powerful, because he would certainly choose to stop it.

Some possible answers:
3. God is some combination of all-powerful, all-good, and all-knowing, but not all three
4. God does not exist.

Another possible answer
5. If God is all-good, then he oes not stop all evil because it would certainly compromise the free will of his creation, which would be un-good.

God can not and will not commit suicide, because it would spell chaos for the universe, if not absolute undoing. It would be against God's nature.

Yes he could, and nothing would happen. Except maybe all the dead people in heaven would have to put up with his corpse stench. HELL WINS!

God doesn't exist, so he can't commit suicide. However if he did exist, and was the creator/supreme being, he could commit suicide, and it would be the simple end of all existence.

Another possible answer
5. If God is all-good, then he oes not stop all evil because it would certainly compromise the free will of his creation, which would be un-good.

God can not and will not commit suicide, because it would spell chaos for the universe, if not absolute undoing. It would be against God's nature.

Thank you.

Overlooking and disregarding evil versus choosing not to stop evil are two separate things. An all-knowing God knows of evil. If we assume the Christian God, He gave man the choice to disobey God, and to disobey God is to sin, which is evil. God isn't the one sinning here. You can't pin God for our transgressions.* The burden of choice is on us as humans: to choose whether or not to keep living for worldly desires or to live for Him in obedience. It's not the other way around. So while He's certainly opposed to everything that is evil, it's He who gave us the choice to live for the world.

*EDIT/Additional thoughts without double posting: Which is what theotherguy is saying. He says that because we as humans are acting evil, God must be evil. That's blaming God for what we're doing. Whoops, I masturbated. Oh well, it's God's fault... couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with the fact that maybe I'M the one with the lustful desires.

Another possible answer

This is essentially the "higher-order good" argument. Free will is seen as a "higher-order" good that trumps the "lower-order evils" created by God removing free will.

But I present you with the following problem: What if God made all humans have free will, but they all simply decided to do the right thing, all the time? It wouldn't be impossible for them to do the wrong thing, but they would simply not choose to do it, because they would be perfectly rational.

If you say, "well, freedom is choice, and if they don't have the choice to do evil, it is not freedom", then I provide you with another problem:

Suppose one man is given the choice to eat cow dung, beetle guts, worms, or 17 other disgusting things. Suppose a second man is given just two choices between ice cream and cookies.

Now, which of the two men is more free? Which is better off? Is the man given 20 choices better off than the one given 2, because he is more free?

Why cannot God simply limit our choices to good things, and remove all bad things? Would this not be what a good, sensible God would do?

*EDIT/Additional thoughts without double posting: Which is what theotherguy is saying. He says that because we as humans are acting evil, God must be evil. That's blaming God for what we're doing. Whoops, I masturbated. Oh well, it's God's fault... couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with the fact that maybe I'M the one with the lustful desires.

I think you misunderstand the problem.

If god cannot interfere with what we are doing, then he is limited by our free will. This means that he is not all-powerful.

If god can interfere with what we think and feel, yet chooses not to, then he is not all-good. An all-good being would do everything in its power to create good.

Even intefering in free-will, which by definition is not-good?

Now, which of the two men is more free? Which is better off? Is the man given 20 choices better off than the one given 2, because he is more free?

You're throwing extraneous hypothetics. It's not a question about the limits of our freedom, or "how free we are," since we already possess total free choice, according to the Christian God. Depending on your choice - since according to God there's a right and wrong choice - you reap what you sow. That's what we're establishing here.

Why cannot God simply limit our choices to good things, and remove all bad things? Would this not be what a good, sensible God would do?

You presume to know what God should and shouldn't do. Isn't that up to God? That's exactly what the first sin was: eating from the tree of good and evil, deciding for yourself what is right and wrong. Not to dodge the question, but debating why or why not he gave us X amount of choice doesn't prove or disprove his existence. The fact of the matter is, the burden of choice is on us. Keep in mind, it was a supra-world force that made this world "all aleak" as the poet ee cummings puts it. The world was made without sin. When Adam and Eve first took breath, the world was free from all evil. They listened to a fallen angel, a deceitful voice. But the point is, there's a choice here and now. Forget what you think should have been. This doesn't prove or disprove anything.

I think you misunderstand the problem.

If god cannot interfere with what we are doing, then he is limited by our free will. This means that he is not all-powerful.

Of course he has. I'm going to use the Bible as a source since we are talking about the same biblical God. The Tower of Babel is a perfect example. Mankind's choice was to build a structure devoted to world rule by all of mankind, united. They decided to build the structure for themselves, so that they would be able to "make a name unto themselves" and rule the world united. Their plans to build the awesome tower and city were egotistical, self-centered, and prideful. All of the world, united in making this decision to build this great city themselves for their own prideful reasons (to make themselves separate from God's supremacy so that they would rule the world themselves). God, seeing their evil choices -- as it was a choice that they made amongst themselves -- decided it was time to confuse everybody's languages. Which is why, according to the bible, we have hundreds of languages worldwide today. So God is certainly not limited by man's free will, even if it is the whole world choosing one way or the other.

EDIT: P.S., because the languages got mixed up, the building was never completed. Just in case I left that story unclear to some folks.

If god can interfere with what we think and feel, yet chooses not to, then he is not all-good. An all-good being would do everything in its power to create good.

Again, see above example. You're right. An all-good being would do everything in its power to create good. That's what He did. That's what He said after every creation. "It is good." And to this day, his plans for those that choose to follow Him are for the purposes of good, not for evil. Jeremiah 29:11-13, read it sometime.

Your existence in this forum baffles me.

Hypothetics.

tl;dr

Jesus (God) knowingly and willingly walked to his death carrying the instrument of his death?

tl;dr

Jesus (God) knowingly and willingly walked to his death carrying the instrument of his death?

Yes. That was Jesus' whole purpose.

P.S., he doesn't die. Sorry to spoil the ending for you.

Again, see above example. You're right. An all-good being would do everything in its power to create good. That's what He did. That's what He said after every creation. "It is good." And to this day, his plans for those that choose to follow Him are for the purposes of good, not for evil. Jeremiah 29:11-13, read it sometime.

Not to get off topic, but the claim made in the verse 14, and many other places throughout the Old Testament, is the reason I reject much of Christianity. (due to failed prophecy concerning the new covenant)

Not to get off topic, but the claim made in the verse 14, and many other places throughout the Old Testament, is the reason I reject much of Christianity. (due to failed prophecy concerning the new covenant)

We can take this elsewhere if a Mod requests, but what failed prophecy?

Yes. That was Jesus' whole purpose.

P.S., he doesn't die. Sorry to spoil the ending for you.

Oh BS, what a cheap cop-out. Appallingly written.

I can't believe they bought Jesus back in the sequel. I thought his death was supposed to mean something.

We can take this elsewhere if a Mod requests, but what failed prophecy?

Read Jeremiah 31:27-34, this prophecy is pretty much the basis of the new covenant and the New Testament, but not every aspect of the prophecy has been fulfilled, therefore we would still be under the old covenant.

I'm not christian myself but I live in a campus with a bunch of christian theology and priest students, and I've asked these questions to them. I'll give some of their replies.

And if so, what would happen?

Could God create an object so heavy that even he couldn't lift it?

Blahblah conondrums

Could God create himself? :x

Two valid answers:

These questions are not a problem with God's omnipotence but a problem with flawed human logic and perception. It's like asking "can God cut the hair of a bald man"? In the paradoxes created as we set out questions within the borders of the laws of physics, no. It doesn't mean that he isn't omnipotent.

Some possible answers:
4. God does not exist.

God does not do evil, but he does things that may be percieved by us as evil.

Read Jeremiah 31:27-34, this prophecy is pretty much the basis of the new covenant and the New Testament, but not every aspect of the prophecy has been fulfilled, therefore we would still be under the old covenant.

Jesus broke the old covenant.

I'm not christian myself but I live in a campus with a bunch of christian theology and priest students, and I've asked these questions to them. I'll give some of their replies.

These questions are not a problem with God's omnipotence but a problem with flawed human logic and perception. It's like asking "can God cut the hair of a bald man"? In the paradoxes created as we set out questions within the borders of the laws of physics, no. It doesn't mean that he isn't omnipotent.

God does not do evil, but he does things that may be percieved by us as evil.

To summarise: God is perfect, and we are merely flawed images that find fault with stuff because we suck.

Back