Counter-Strike: Source and Source Engine Updates Available

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A massive update has just been released over Steam for Counter-Strike: Source which also incorporates some general changes to the Source engine.[br]Here's the change log - brace yourself!:
[br]
New Features/Improvements
  • New Source remake of classic Counter-Strike map cs_assault[br]
  • New "Phoenix Connection" Terrorist model (replaces existing model)[br]
[br]New Player Animations[br]
  • Walk/run cycles now include whole-body motion[br]
  • Players automatically raise their weapon and aim through the sights when they stop to fire [br]
  • Weapon-specific reload animations with removable ammo clips added[br]
  • Shotgun reloads animate each individual shell reload[br]
  • Animated the bolt pull for each shot of the AWP[br]
  • Added upper-body recoil animations for shotguns and AWP[br]
  • New grenade throw and knife animations[br]
  • Spectator UI now resizes controls to account for long map names[br]
  • A notification is now displayed to all players when auto-balancing teams[br]
  • Added message for players who try to defuse the bomb while another player is already doing so[br]
  • Added item_nvgs and item_<ammotype> entities for fy_ maps[br]
  • Can no longer stab with the knife while defusing or during freeze time at the start of a round[br]
  • Player count in dedicated server interface now includes bots[br]
  • Dedicated servers can now use the "timeleft" command[br]
  • Dedicated servers are now secure by default, add "-insecure" to the command line to run in insecure mode.[br]
[br]Bug fixes[br]
  • Dedicated servers no longer crash when setting "name" via the console[br]
  • Fixed bug that would occasionally make player weapons disappear[br]
  • Low-violence death animations no longer float if the player dies while in the air[br]
  • Fixed bug that caused the grenade throw animation to incorrectly play when spectating in the game[br]
  • Fixed view jitter caused by prediction errors when near physics objects [br]
  • Spectators now hear weapon pickup sounds[br]
  • Armor is now given with game_player_equip[br]
  • Extra pistol ammo no longer given at round restart[br]
  • Weaker flashbangs effects no longer cancel out stronger ones[br]
  • maps/cfg/<mapname>.cfg aren’t exec'd if they don’t exist (fixes console warnings)[br]
  • Fixed bug that caused hostage scenario HUD icon showing 1 hostage left when all were rescued or dead[br]
  • game_player_equip removes player equipment before adding new items[br]
[br]Bot Changes[br]
  • Bots can use sloped ladders now[br]
  • Bots open +use doors better[br]
  • Bots don't think they're stuck when hiding[br]
  • Bots using knives can break breakables while pursuing enemies now[br]
[br]Navigation Mesh generation improvements[br]
  • Nav generation ignores doors and breakables better[br]
  • Non-planar nav areas aren't merged into larger areas[br]
  • Added nav_generate_incremental to generate additional nav areas starting from a walkable marker, without destroying existing mesh[br]
  • Areas no longer get connected to ladders multiple times (caused a crash if the ladder was deleted)[br]
  • Added nav_restart_after_analysis[br]
  • Fixed bug where some areas would be incorrectly marked as crouch[br]
[br]Navigation Mesh Editor changes[br]
  • Nav areas draw a background color, making them more visible[br]
  • Nav_update_blocked warps the local player to the first blocked area [br]
  • Added nav_build_ladder (point at a climbable surface so the cursor is green, and type nav_build_ladder to automatically create a nav ladder) [br]
  • Added nav_no_hostages, to mark an area as not suitable for hostage navigation [br]
  • Added nav_remove_unused_jump_areas to remove extraneous jump areas [br]
  • Fixed a crash caused by manually creating an area before doing a nav_generate on a new map [br]
As per normal, restart your Steam clients to receive the update. See you on the servers!

sweet!! no news on VAC2 though ;)

EDIT: First post \o/! I'm so nerdy.

EDIT2: /me goes to play CSS, but notices all servers need rebooting.... crap.

"Bots don't think they're stuck when hiding"

Funny critters, those bots.

Anyone know how to force steam to update again? My download kept stopping half way though so I canceled and reupdated but when I tried joining a VAC secured server it wouldnt let me join because of a script file that was messed up or something.
Or did the server not update yet?

-edit nevermind, its not me

dekstar said:
sweet!! no news on VAC2 though ;)

EDIT: First post \o/! I'm so nerdy.

EDIT2: /me goes to play CSS, but notices all servers need rebooting.... crap.

shhhhh no news is good news you'll know its out when lots of folks are complaining about being banned lol.

in any case YAY! :bounce: Lots of new features! :cheers:

I hope they give ragdolls in CS:S a larger mass soon, they just float to the ground if they get blown into the air/fall from a height

Wow, that's a pretty nice update!

Ah, assault, time for some fun! :)

Murray_H said:
I hope they give ragdolls in CS:S a larger mass soon, they just float to the ground if they get blown into the air/fall from a height
On behalf of all physicists I stone thee to death ;)

Very cool update! Love the new Animations and assault is very cool map.

everything looks so much cooler now. Great update!

as for VAC2 news: there was some, its active by default now meaning they are either activating it, or its really close to it

There's a glitch where you can get out of the map.

edits: Deleted picture of exploit.

Shens said:
There's a glitch where you can get out of the map.

edits: Deleted picture of exploit.
Shens, can you pass it on to me or e-mail it directly to [email protected]

Cliffe actually mapped it himself so I'm sure he'll appreciate the heads up.

Anyone else getting really weird texture bugs all over the map? Like transparencies behind textures are broken or something... all these square icons all over the place... 0.o

Anyway, the new T model is great.

Feuyaino said:
Anyone else getting really weird texture bugs all over the map? Like transparencies behind textures are broken or something... all these square icons all over the place... 0.o

Anyway, the new T model is great.

Validate your cache files.

Argh, can't properly start steam, servers must be under load.

I was playing on assault and its not balanced (t team always win).

and the new models look like midget :|

Dinkleberry said:

What did I say wrong? :(

I'm a biochemist, that's my excuse :p

Dinkleberry said:
Come on... the ragdolls look like they're being thrown through a liquid because of all that wind resistance. He's right. Terminal velocity for a skydiver even with his/her body spread out is around 120mph... and in a diving position they can reach over 200mph. In CS:S they seem to reach their terminal velocity after a fall of only a couple of seconds and then slowly drift down at a constant speed. When they are thrown by an explosion it's like throwing those little toy soldiers with parachutes... they fly for a bit but then they spontaneously slow down as if there is some massive force pushing against them and their angular velocity also significantly decreases (they stop spinning). They don't seem to have a normal, parabolic flight path with a constant angular velocity (assuming wind resistance is negligent).

It looked really weird when they held their weapons like they now hold them. They could hold them more Solid Snake like, pointing them a little downwards or something. Now they just hold them quite horizantilly. The new T model looked weird, such a big change but it looks good if you get used to it. He's a little chubbier than his predecessor :)

All in all it's nice to see some updates altough my CS playing has decreased to a zero because of the summer holidays.

OCybrManO said:
Come on... the ragdolls look like they're being thrown through a liquid because of all that wind resistance. He's right. Terminal velocity for a skydiver even with his/her body spread out is around 120mph... and in a diving position they can reach over 200mph. In CS:S they seem to reach their terminal velocity after a fall of only a couple of seconds and then slowly drift down at a constant speed. When they are thrown by an explosion it's like throwing those little toy soldiers with parachutes... they fly for a bit but then they spontaneously slow down as if there is some massive force pushing against them and their angular velocity also significantly decreases (they stop spinning). They don't seem to have a normal, parabolic flight path with a constant angular velocity (assuming wind resistance is negligent).

Reread the comment he was addressing.

Mass doesn't affect fall velocity.

The models seem a little bit laggy and buggy to me, I'm on a server where my location is at and it normally wouldnt do that, the models skip and lag too much.

mitya said:
Reread the comment he was addressing.

Mass doesn't affect fall velocity.
It does if wind resistance is involved. The more dense an object is the less the presence of the air affects its motion, in terms of acceleration (the force would stay the same but the higher mass would give it more kinetic energy/momentum/inertia).

In the same environment the two ragdoll types (HL2 and CSS) still perform the same as in their normal settings... as you can see by spawning one of each in Garry's mod.

I just can't get used to the new T models atm. Im not sure if the hitboxes are different or something but i just can get as many kills as CT(i normally get around the same KD ratio on both teams but im getting 4:1 as T and 2:1 as CT). Someone needs to get a screenshot of a CT and a T standing beside eachother to see the difference in height/hitboxes.

Ok i found some interesting things

Valve put in a secret unreachable room which has a little boot in it.. and also You can walk into the boxes.. which makes stealthy tactics unfair for CT'S

OCybrManO said:
It does if wind resistance is involved. The more dense an object is the less the presence of the air affects its motion, in terms of acceleration (the force would stay the same but the higher mass would give it more kinetic energy/momentum/inertia).

In the same environment the two ragdoll types (HL2 and CSS) still perform the same as in their normal settings... as you can see by spawning one of each in Garry's mod.

density isn't mass

mitya said:
density isn't mass
Then, tell me what happens to density when the volume stays the same (there was no suggestion of any changes in size) and the mass increases (as suggested). I was under the impression that, since density is mass over volume, when volume stays the same density increases as the mass increases. Is that wrong? Have they redefined "density"?

Gorgon said:
I was playing on assault and its not balanced (t team always win).

CT's suck then, when I played on 3 server for a total of 20-30 rounds, it was T's barely edging out CT's.

:| New models are hideous and the walk animation is awkward

OCybrManO said:
Then, tell me what happens to density when the volume stays the same (there was no suggestion of any changes in size) and the mass increases (as suggested). I was under the impression that, since density is mass over volume, when volume stays the same density increases as the mass increases. Is that wrong? Have they redefined "density"?

Obviously mass is half of density. Does that mean we can treat them as the same thing? No.

All I'm saying is that the original poster talked of a mass increase solving the "floating bodies" problem. It wouldn't. All that a mass increase would do is cause the bodies to reach terminal velocity quicker. And as you said yourself, terminal velocity in the game is pretty whack.

Therefore: a mass increase on the ragdolls would not solve the probem.

mitya said:
All that a mass increase would do is cause the bodies to reach terminal velocity quicker. And as you said yourself, terminal velocity in the game is pretty whack.
Changing the mass would change the terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is when the force of the wind resistance is equal to the force of gravity. The forces being equal causes the object to stop accelerating. The acceleration of gravity in a vacuum is a constant... not the force. In "F=ma" the a is the constant in this case... so, when m goes up F has to go up. Thus, a heavier object has to have a stronger gravitational force in order for the acceleration of gravity to remain constant. The force behind wind resistance (with the environment being a constant) is changed by several variables including the surface area of the object exposed to the wind, the aerodynamics of the object, and the speed of the object... among other things. So, since terminal velocity requires the two forces to be equal, if the object is heavier it will have a large force pulling it down it will need an equally large force in the opposite direction coming from wind resistance working against it. Since none of the other aspects of the object or the environment have changed, the speed required to generate an equal force in wind resistance must increase. Two objects of the same size and shape but with different masses (and, logically, different densities) will have different terminal velocities.

EDIT: The bodies don't seem to be capped at an absolute maximum velocity by the game as, when the bodies are first launched, they can be traveling very fast then slow down significantly and proceed to coast at a constant speed... as would happen if an object was fired at a speed above its terminal velocity.

The terrorist player model is absolutely disgusting. Seriously, some updates don't belong there. Keep making source worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitya
All that a mass increase would do is cause the bodies to reach terminal velocity quicker. And as you said yourself, terminal velocity in the game is pretty whack.
Changing the mass would change the terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is when the force of the wind resistance is equal to the force of gravity. The forces being equal causes the object to stop accelerating. The acceleration of gravity in a vacuum is a constant... not the force. In "F=ma" the a is the constant in this case... so, when m goes up F has to go up. Thus, a heavier object has to have a stronger gravitational force in order for the acceleration of gravity to remain constant. The force behind wind resistance (with the environment being a constant) is changed by several variables including the surface area of the object exposed to the wind, the aerodynamics of the object, and the speed of the object... among other things. So, since terminal velocity requires the two forces to be equal, if the object is heavier it will have a large force pulling it down it will need an equally large force in the opposite direction coming from wind resistance working against it. Since none of the other aspects of the object or the environment have changed, the speed required to generate an equal force in wind resistance must increase. Two objects of the same size and shape but with different masses (and, logically, different densities) will have different terminal velocities.

EDIT: The bodies don't seem to be capped at an absolute maximum velocity by the game as, when the bodies are first launched, they can be traveling very fast then slow down significantly and proceed to coast at a constant speed... as would happen if an object was fired at a speed above its terminal velocity.

Yea, if I were you I would stop argueing, these posts might get well over a page. haha.

But we all agree the bodies need to fall faster, yes?

I contend that the density of this thread has increased by the massive posts about ragdoll physics. If one were to employ the Universal Gameplay Distraction Law, and factor in the time required to worry about this inertia oddity versus the magnitude of its effect on gameplay, one would find that the Ratio of Fun to Work precisely states "Who Gives a ****"

Back