Counter-Strike: Source Update Available

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We all know that the Source engine can sometimes be a bit of a resource hog, so the following update to Counter-Strike: Source will make some of you rather pleased:
An update to Counter-Strike: Source has been released. The update will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:[br]Counter-Strike: Source
  • Optimized game to lower CPU usage
As usual, restart your Steam client to receive the update.

Nice, that means higher fps! My athlon XP 2500 comes closer to giving my 6800GT its full strength!

Is this a Source-wide patch? Are we going to see the same improvement in the rest of the source games?

ZoFreX said:
Is this a Source-wide patch? Are we going to see the same improvement in the rest of the source games?

An update to Counter-Strike: Source has been released. The update will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Counter-Strike: Source

* Optimized game to lower CPU usage

READ!!

Unless I suddenly became crazy since the new update arrived, I can confirm it has a positive impact on client-side performance.

Less "frame drop" spikes.
Less "wtf, there's nothing on screen and I got 20 fps!" hazards.
Higher overall FPS.

My new map runs a lot faster now which, you guess it, makes me godly happy.

Dunno about the effect on server-side performances.

2 Thumbs up for this update!

MQ

i didnt see much of a difference, but other people did so thats great :)

Deemo said:
i didnt see much of a difference, but other people did so thats great :)
That's what matters, that more then no people noticed a difference!

i lol'd at the news.

its essentially saying, an update has been released to improve performance. changelog: improved performance.

idk why it just makes me giggle :-x

i dont know if i got this update of not.........
i started up steam and it didnt download it or anything........
wtf?

Very cool. I'd be interested if they went into more depth in the changelog as to what they actually found to be eating up those cycles.

Yay, I don't feel ashamed to be playing with an AMD Athlon Xp 2800+ any more! Not that I get leaps and bounds more FPS, but I can notice a very small increase.

I can't update my CSS this moment in time due to Windows Updates which i want to get out of the way but say i get about an average fps of 29.9 in the stress test on :

Intel Celeron 2.5
768mb DDR Ram
Ati Radeon X700 256mb AGP

will i get an improvement do you think before i go getting my hopes up for some decent performance ??

Updates like this always make me wonder if it's not just some kind of intended Placebo effect... you know, they say that they've improved Framerates and then people start rejoicing because they swear that they're getting more FPS than before the patch, when in actuallity, they haven't done anything but upload a small change to a config file that says "Ha Ha! All your FPS are belong to US!" or something... hmm, I wonder if that WOULD improve framerates...

Good.... Although my AMD Duron 1,8 Ghz already ran Half-Life 2 and CS Source fine, a performance upgrade is never unnecessary :)

kupoartist said:
Updates like this always make me wonder if it's not just some kind of intended Placebo effect... you know, they say that they've improved Framerates and then people start rejoicing because they swear that they're getting more FPS than before the patch, when in actuallity, they haven't done anything but upload a small change to a config file that says "Ha Ha! All your FPS are belong to US!" or something... hmm, I wonder if that WOULD improve framerates...
No, that's with medicines.

FPS at the other hand can be measured. Try typing cl_showfps 1 or net_graph 3 in console.

Most Counter-Strikers now their FPS and when they now check, they'll see that they have a higher number.

Insane said:
No, that's with medicines.
Actually, a Placebo was just from medicines but it's meaning grew to encompass "Anything of no intrinsic remedial value that is used to appease or reassure another".
Insane said:
FPS at the other hand can be measured. Try typing cl_showfps 1 or net_graph 3 in console.

Most Counter-Strikers now their FPS and when they now check, they'll see that they have a higher number.
Ahh... but this may also just as well be a Placebo effect. Say those numbers rise by 3, can you actually tell the difference? Also, FPS improvements are not best percieved in an online game with all the random elements that such a game entails. Could be best disproved by running a demo.

Oh, and you owe me £10 so I can replace my USB Patronization Dector Device. In fact, you drove the poor thing to such a upper limit that I may have to charge you for a new carpet if I can't get this mass of melted plastic off it. ;)

Chrysalid said:
Good.... Although my AMD Duron 1,8 Ghz already ran Half-Life 2 and CS Source fine, a performance upgrade is never unnecessary :)

I ****ing hate Chrysalids...

Hurrah for a few more fps I guess.

Too bad mycomputer is broke and can't take this update out on a spin. :(

It does indeed raise my fps. I ran the stress test before the update and I usually recieved around 110 FPS averaged out. Now, with the new update, I get 130 FPS. Very nice indeed. Good job to Valve :)

Gothax/kupoartist: as I said on page 1, and because I'm making a map right now and try to raise the FPS in each of its rooms, I confirm a boost of FPS since the last update. I've been testing my map all day long yesterday and I'm damn used to the FPS of each room and I saw an increase of about 15-20% in my case, but obviously it's different for everyone.

Confirmed.

MQ

Gothax? said:
It does indeed raise my fps. I ran the stress test before the update and I usually recieved around 110 FPS averaged out. Now, with the new update, I get 130 FPS. Very nice indeed. Good job to Valve :)
Same here :)

I can safely say my FPS hasn't increased at all, i think it is my CPU, really want my new one now :(

Could you guys help me out here?

When I start steam, the update sign comes up, and it says "updating steam", but nothing happends. The yellow "bricks" doesn't show. It stays like this for a couple of minuttes and then the logging on to steam account sign comes up. And then I get a connectionh error.

What the hell is wrong?

Well, I dont recognize the increase in FPS, but I get a little stutter here and there now, that i didnt notice before the update...

We will see, maybe its something on my end.

I think its for the whole Source engine. I seem to have higher FPS in HL2DM too

The performance of mine seems to have actually degraded, but I'm shit anyway and the decrease is not enough for me to complain about.

Gothax? said:
Yay, I don't feel ashamed to be playing with an AMD Athlon Xp 2800+ any more! Not that I get leaps and bounds more FPS, but I can notice a very small increase.

well at least you didn't just upgrade to an xp 3000+ only to notice that better cpus are aviable for almost the same price :( . Anyhoo maybe ill see an increase too :D

Back