Crackling sound coming from PSU..what does it mean??

soulslicer

Tank
Reaction score
I keep hearing crackling noises coming from my 750 watt Cooler Master Real Power Pro PSU. It lasts like from 1s to 4s tops. And it randomly comes then and when. It's not when I am gaming it happens, it's completely random.
Any idea why this could be happening, is it going to fail soon or have any of you had this problem?

goddamit, i love my system so much, it's got mac and windows 7 and i do everything with it gaming, music, programming, downloading, work everything. can't lose her to some ****ing psu..

Screw you mutoid man, first you post some shitty reply telling me to run. Then you post some lame ass youtube link, then it says the video is blocked in my country due to copy right grounds. gtfo seriously..

as to dm, it says in the last section that a hissing sound may be normal, as the PSU load changes, but for me, it happens really then and when, like right now, it's perfectly alright. I only hope that sound doesn't mean any arcing inside there.

It sounds like it could be arcing, have you had a look inside it (when it's turned off obviously & unplugged) to see if you can see anything? Use a torch through the exhaust grill and while you have it out check how much dust has accumulated inside. You would be surprised the issues dust can have on a PSU. Also give it a good sniff and see if you can smell anything burnt inside. Are you also certain it's a crackling like arcing and not fan noise from an obstruction?

Based on some googling I've done, try removing some of the strain from it and unplug unnecessary devices so you're down to the basics to see if it still happens. The best thing to remove is your graphics card since it pulls so much power. If your mobo has an onboard chip or you have an old GPU sitting around which doesn't require a PCI-E power connector that would be good. If you can eliminate the noise by using less power then you can determine the PSU is under too much stress trying to power your normal configuration. If you haven't added anything new recently we can assume it's starting to go bad, which if that is the case, isn't worth the risk of your other components.

If you do need to consider a new PSU then for reliability and value for money you absolutely must go for a modular Corsair PSU. A lot of people cut corners on PSUs and it really isn't worth the risk, so go for the top end.

Screw you mutoid man, first you post some shitty reply telling me to run. Then you post some lame ass youtube link, then it says the video is blocked in my country due to copy right grounds. gtfo seriously..

Sorry. Just mentioning how scared I'd be of that thing.

Back