CS:S Skinning

M

maggotcorpse

alright then, i have Photshop CS (yep is aved my pocket money up for 5 years to buy this :LOL: )

i would like to know how i can reskin the models in CS:S

i have VTEX cos sum1 said i need that but i havent installed it yet

cheers

maggotcorpse said:
alright then, i have Photshop CS (yep is aved my pocket money up for 5 years to buy this :LOL: )

i would like to know how i can reskin the models in CS:S

i have VTEX cos sum1 said i need that but i havent installed it yet

cheers

Why have you mentioned that you have saved up for 5 years for CS..? Its only been out for like 7 months or something. Its pretty obvious with a statement like that, you have got a hooky copy and your speaking BS. So you have a valid Key code and Liscense..? I would love to see you post a screenie of your boxed copy. Of course I could be wrong and I will appologise accordingly, but I really dont think this will be nessesary... I hate people who potentialy "Steal" other peoples hard work..Piracy is totaly killing the industry..Nuff said.. :flame: :flame: :flame:

hold it, he could have been saying for ANY photoshop release and he just so happened to hoard together enough scratch to pay for it as Photoshop CS is the current release.

You can't (legally) skin for CS:S yet.

slap said:
Why have you mentioned that you have saved up for 5 years for CS..? Its only been out for like 7 months or something. Its pretty obvious with a statement like that, you have got a hooky copy and your speaking BS. So you have a valid Key code and Liscense..? I would love to see you post a screenie of your boxed copy. Of course I could be wrong and I will appologise accordingly, but I really dont think this will be nessesary... I hate people who potentialy "Steal" other peoples hard work..Piracy is totaly killing the industry..Nuff said.. :flame: :flame: :flame:

try reading the post b4 opening that big mouth of yours, he states hes saved for PS not CS, god they are the first few words i bet you didn't even read it.

eddie500 said:
try reading the post b4 opening that big mouth of yours, he states hes saved for PS not CS, god they are the first few words i bet you didn't even read it.

Umm, acctualy m8, CS is a version of Photoshop and not Counterstrike Source which is what your thinking about I think..!...I did read it just fine, thanks. Apology accepted.. :thumbs: Wanna chew off your other leg now..? lol.. BTW Photshop CS is 500/700 Dollars, so you think he saved up that with his pocket money.. Sure he did..Im still waiting on the Box shot, but I wont hold my breath..!

@slap: bah lol 0wned. ;(

@maggotcorpse: VTEX is used to convert vtf 2 tga, (VTF being valve texture format and is the format all the textures are in) and as pimurho said i don't think you can skin yet.

how did u lot get your Photshop's then?
yeah right u woudl spend $700 on a CD

lol

maggotcorpse said:
how did u lot get your Photshop's then?
yeah right u woudl spend $700 on a CD

lol[/QUO

So that statment is practicaly an admision that you stole Photoshop CS by downloading a cracked copy, lied in your post and are in fact breaking the Law..! Good Job..! :LOL: :LOL:
No offence, but your almost certainly under 16 and extremely naive in these matters.. :flame: Off to jail with ya..! :dork:

slap, i can see nothing in that first post to suggest that hes got a cracked copy. the only thing that might be, is the comment about saving up for 5 years. he could be being sarcastic, but why add the comment, cause theres always people ( like you ) who are going to kick off and fill his post full of meaningless flaming that he wont listen to anyway.

*edit* dont turn on me, accusing me of agreeing to piracy, cause i dont.

...so you think he saved up that with his pocket money.. Sure he did.

he just said that hes been saving pocket money for fiiivve yeeeaars ! if i saved up for 5 years, then id probably have £600...plus doin jobs and other thins to earn a few bob on the side ( make up for the boozin money :rolleyes: )

Why have you mentioned that you have saved up for 5 years for CS..? Its only been out for like 7 months or something.

as cylyk said, if you save up for 5 years, then its quite likely that there will be a newer version out...especially in the case of such a huge program like PS.

Piracy is totaly killing the industry.

well, depending on the industry. besides, its not exactly killing it. the main thing is, however much you hate it, try to 'stop' it, you cant. it will always be there, and theres pretty much nothing you can do about it...much like petty crime, but thats for another time.

on a lighter note...and in reply to the original question. "You can't (legally) skin for CS:S yet." you have to use the stolen code and utilities to do so.

he was being sacastic

he downloaded it just like everyone else

jesus read between the lines :rolleyes:

if not then he should use some common sense and get himself some wheels

How can everyone afford all these programs. Photoshop isnt that expsensive concidering how usefull it is but 3dsmax is just plain expsensive. The MSRP is $3500 last time I checked. And its like every single person on the forums has it. I want to get into modelling but XSI aint that great for it.

OK I take that back XSI is good. I guess I spoke to soon I was always under the impression that XSI was better for animation and 3ds better for modelling. Now I know.

try XSI trial or whatever it is and GMax. im guessing you'll prefer GMax as the Max layout tends to be easier to pick up. the only problems with both is that they have crappy or no rendering capabilities. and to progress onto Max or a 'fuller' version of XSI, its pretty simple. you can buy a Student version of Max, which is full Max, but it bombs out after 2 years, for about £90. that is often given to uni graduates for the time between finishing their course and getting a job in the industry. although you can get the student reduction once you get your student card ( age 17 ). i think its similar for XSi, but maybe not as cheap.

as for the Max vs. XSI battle, it seems Max is the Microsoft of 3D programs, and XSI is the Apple. Max has had the limelight for longer and gets so much more press over XSI, but users of XSI say its just as good, if not better.

...if you can follow my train of thought, i think that was quite a good explanation :p

random.hero said:
as for the Max vs. XSI battle, it seems Max is the Microsoft of 3D programs, and XSI is the Apple. Max has had the limelight for longer and gets so much more press over XSI, but users of XSI say its just as good, if not better.

And Maya is the linux :D I definately prefer Maya, Ive tried out Gmax (3dsmax "trial") but I just couldnt get used to it, the workflow is so much different to me than Maya. I know quite a few people who have made a full blown switch from 3dsMax to Maya, and say they would never go back.

blackeye said:
OK I take that back XSI is good. I guess I spoke to soon I was always under the impression that XSI was better for animation and 3ds better for modelling. Now I know.

Maya has been used for quite a lot of game animation, such as Jak and Daxter, GTA3, Star Wars Bounty Hunter, to name a few. I always thought of XSI as more dealing with particle effects and stuff.

I always thought of XSI as more dealing with particle effects and stuff.

Other way around in most production houses in Soho at least.

I know quite a few people who have made a full blown switch from 3dsMax to Maya, and say they would never go back.

And the same for XSI (from both Maya and Max). Particularly in games... the main reason being they can do everything in XSI they need, faster and without having to maintain a two or sometimes three/four package pipeline. I have seen professional game artists switch to XSI in two weeks and never go back to MAX becuase it no longer makes sense in their heads.

I don't want to rant so I'll stop there... for now

softmonkey said:
Other way around in most production houses in Soho at least.

And the same for XSI (from both Maya and Max). Particularly in games... the main reason being they can do everything in XSI they need, faster and without having to maintain a two or sometimes three/four package pipeline. I have seen professional game artists switch to XSI in two weeks and never go back to MAX becuase it no longer makes sense in their heads.

I don't want to rant so I'll stop there... for now
/me waves hand at being one of those who buggered off to XSI after only two weeks playing with the experience "demo" version. :E:E

Best money we'd ever spent. It's also the only 3D app I have yet had to buy a third party plugin for too. Lightwave currently retains that crown, with atleast 200 purchased plugins and free ones + scripts.. Probably more since they were built up over years and years, but I really have lost count now. So working it out, Lightwave has so far cost the amount two licences of XSI would cost. XSI is pretty damn cheap really when you consider that heh.

However I like to use different ones still. There's a lot in LW I prefer to do in LW, certain things in Maya I prefer to do in that. But the bulk is done in XSI, especially the modeling. Can't fault the modeling side of things in XSI at all.

you switched to XSI? pfffft i thought you were a fellow maya fan boy like me ;(

at the end of the day, if there wasn't software piracy there would be at least a 75% reduction in games developers. Simple as.

Do you actually think that over the years everyone from 16 to 24 has actually payed $3,000 for 3dsmax... sure :p Without people using ilegil software to develope there skills before they go into the industry the industry would be very very small. Infact, piracy actually increases sales for people such as 3d applications etc.... because a lot more people go on to be proffesional users and obviasly when your a proffesional you own a copy of the product.

This is all not to mention the fact that 3d applications get all there money from games and cg developers. Even if young people could some how buy these products it would be nothing in terms on income for the company compared to games developers.

ukfilmer said:
you switched to XSI? pfffft i thought you were a fellow maya fan boy like me ;(

a lot of people have moved to XSI because of normal mapping tools etc... but its pritty stupid really because 3dsmax7 has normal mapping tools along with a lot of other next generation games addons. In a way you will proberly see a lot more people moving back to 3dsmax when v7 comes out.

In a way you will proberly see a lot more people moving back to 3dsmax when v7 comes out.

lol

Why?

Its seven times the price for a less powerful feature set
Its slower and can't handle as much data
The normal map tools require you to have uvs on the hight resolution mesh- at least doubling the amount of work you need to do.
They keep changing the SDK so developers are forced to recompile tools.

There isn't a single feature in MAX 7 that is new to 3D - where's the innovation?

I don't mean to come across as being too harsh on max - they have done some nice modelling updates in 7, but it just ain't cutting it for the high level stuff

I can't see people moving from XSI to Max.. not unless they are typical "it didn't work first try, this thing is crap" kind of people who don't give anything a chance or even read the manual.

I found XSI a little bit daunting at first, I got used to it and I miss a lot of its features when I'm using other apps.. As for Max, well.. never did like that thing anyway, and before anyone says it, I used it for quite some time, before I saw the light and got lightwave instead :E

All i'm gonna say here is, with a price tag of $500, they are not interested in the consumer market, and not concerened about losses therein. This is a corperate application. Period. And as IchI stated, if the promising young talent of the future is ever to develop their skills in these tools, piracy may just be the only way.

Ok, I'm going to say this too: Valve gets my money. Crytek gets my money. Adobe does not and especially Microsoft does not.

**** them, they're rich, I need that $150/$500 far more then they do.

So sue me.

Oh and I'm looking forward to doing a little skinning with my hard earned copy of PS CS too. :devil: But I will wait until VALVe releases the tools on their own.

max this, xsi that. Pshhhht. maya wins. maya 7's gonna pwn you all. :D

I tried to switch to XSI....it just didn't work out :(

f|uke said:
All i'm gonna say here is, with a price tag of $500, they are not interested in the consumer market, and not concerened about losses therein. This is a corperate application. Period. And as IchI stated, if the promising young talent of the future is ever to develop their skills in these tools, piracy may just be the only way.

See, that is where you're wrong. a 500 dollar price tag makes XSI the most affordable professional grade toolset available. They are directly targeting the consumer market by dropping the price to 500.

If I got a good book on XSI (not the manual - an actual proper reference/tutorial guide) then I could sit down and learn it. I'd need to be convinced it was worthwhile though.

See, that is where you're wrong. a 500 dollar price tag makes XSI the most affordable professional grade toolset available. They are directly targeting the consumer market by dropping the price to 500.
No, they're still too high for the consumer market. Consumers aren't going to pay $500 for a program, when they could get a TOP of the line graphics card for the same amount.
Hopefully the prices will go down, right now they're ridiculous.

babywax said:
No, they're still too high for the consumer market. Consumers aren't going to pay $500 for a program, when they could get a TOP of the line graphics card for the same amount.
Hopefully the prices will go down, right now they're ridiculous.

Consumers don't buy top of the line graphics cards

Exactly, but they would definately buy a graphics card before a $500-$3500 3d modelling program.

Alias is very aware of piracy. And you know what. Accordind to them, it doesn't matter. They know that if a teenager gets his hands on maya cracked or not, they win anyways. You know why? Guess what app he will want to use later on :)

I never touched maya before school, I played with max. Who can afford max at the age of 16-18. No-one I know.. Then I worked on a maya licence at school. Now I work with maya, the company has several licences. And I also bought a student licence I will be able to upgrade to commercial licence later for a fee. who won... Alias....
I spent $600 so far and I have to spend $1700 to unlock it. Stop beeing asses because I bet 80-90% here didn't pay for their software. I'm glad I can afford maya now, but how do you expect a kid to manage to pay $2300 just like that... I don't think so...

Mikademius said:
Alias is very aware of piracy. And you know what. Accordind to them, it doesn't matter. They know that if a teenager gets his hands on maya cracked or not, they win anyways. You know why? Guess what app he will want to use later on :)

I never touched maya before school, I played with max. Who can afford max at the age of 16-18. No-one I know.. Then I worked on a maya licence at school. Now I work with maya, the company has several licences. And I also bought a student licence I will be able to upgrade to commercial licence later for a fee. who won... Alias....
I spent $600 so far and I have to spend $1700 to unlock it. Stop beeing asses because I bet 80-90% here didn't pay for their software. I'm glad I can afford maya now, but how do you expect a kid to manage to pay $2300 just like that... I don't think so...

I agree 100% with you... i've been planning on writing an editorial on the same subject for awhile now... maybe i'll get around to that soon.

Back