Where did I go wrong with this girl?

Clearly you have no recourse left but to give her your ear.

Have you really ever spoken this way in person? I mean seriously now. Just be aggressive (that doesnt mean weird or rude) and get her attention. "Hey girl, I think you're pretty cute, can I get your number?"

Din is English and we're a little bit more reserved than that. Coffee (or lunch) is a good starting point, and yes I've gone the 'coffee/lunch' thing a few times with success. You also have to remember it's an opportunity for you to get to know the girl as much for them to get to know you. Just because you get googly-eyed over a girl initially doesn't mean that attraction holds up after you've learn't a bit about them.

Should have signed up to an insurance policy. As your doctor however I am obligated to tell you that the problem appears to be you.

My friend,maybe you just need some liquid courage for asking girls...
And a few embarrassing situations to get over that fear of being rejected by females:D
That did the trick for me for the first couple of times,so now i don't care what they will say :D

I smiled and agreed and then said ''Well I'm sure your boyfriend had fun keeping you safe.'' with a slight, sly smile on my face to keep it fun (as a subtle way of asking if she had a boyfriend), and instantly felt my face go a bit red with embarrassment for asking (god damn it). She hesitated for about 2 seconds whilst looking me right in the eyes, gave out a forced laugh, looked down and back up at me and said ''Uhh..yeah, he couldnt wait to leave either..'', almost sounding as if she didnt know what to say as she had almost no conviction in her voice, making me think it was a white lie..

holy shit people actually do this outside of movies or awful rom-com/sit-coms?

thats incredible

what were you thinking

what were you thinking

Yeah this actually.

Would totally be sickened if somebody said this to me, boyfriend or not, with the whole care-taking implications. KiplingsCat walks by her lone self. Most other women I know would be cut from the same cloth as me in that regard, I think.

Girls I know would probably punch him for that.

It's kind of disrespectful. We no longer live in an age where women need chaperones and protectors, and I for one like it when men recognize this. It's not the most disrespectful thing somebody could say to you, but I'd be pretty irked if somebody said it to me (even jokingly), and probably uninclined to become involved with them. First impressions, and all.

Some girls like the idea of being protected by a man. Despite being unnecessary in this day and age. It's just in our dna. Men have the supplemental urge to protect.

So you don't find it romantic, and instead insulting. Well that's you.

I think it's for definite societal. As for men having a supplemental urge to protect, who's to say that women don't have this too? I for one frequently feel the need (whether it's rational or not) to protect the people I love, be they male or female, older or younger than me, etc. And I'm a woman.

Male chaperones are great and well-appreciated if you happen to be stuck outside at 1 AM waiting for a cab/bus to arrive. It's not so much a matter of being weak, but "Would you rather be more or less likely to be mugged/assaulted?"

But I agree that pick-up line sounds awkward.

Male chaperones are great and well-appreciated if you happen to be stuck outside at 1 AM waiting for a cab/bus to arrive. It's not so much a matter of being weak, but "Would you rather be more or less likely to be mugged/assaulted?"

In this scenario, I don't care if it's a man or a woman with me. Although common sense/paranoia usually prevent me from wandering the streets at 1 AM alone, I have on occasion been stuck waiting for a taxi alone on the main street of my town at night and not felt any more threatened than I would feel there during the day. But, like I said before, a companion of any gender is always welcome and advisable in my opinion, for everybody.

I think it's for definite societal. As for men having a supplemental urge to protect, who's to say that women don't have this too? I for one frequently feel the need (whether it's rational or not) to protect the people I love, be they male or female, older or younger than me, etc. And I'm a woman.

Yeah but you're a woman and can't protect anything regardless of whether you want to or not, because of your weak body. Thats the difference. Why, just yesterday my sister brought home a turtle she got from a pet shop, and all I had to do was snatch it right from her hands and punt it out the open window. If she can't even protect a tiny turtle from getting punted out a window, how can she protect her loved ones who aren't even tiny?

I'd watch yourself Krynn.. turtles are deadly. It might come back for revenge.

I read an article not too long ago that claimed that the more "nerdy" (read: socially inept) the male, the more he over-estimates how many and how much women are attracted to him. Not saying this applies to the OP, (well, this is hl2.net), I guess the message is that don't always assume a woman is attracted. Hell, guys on average seem to commit this sin fairly frequently.

Sounds like the Dunning–Kruger effect. That's where people who don't understand what they're doing can't see the mistakes they're making and overestimate themselves while people who actually know what they're doing can identify their mistakes and thus rate themselves lower than the people who don't know what they're doing rate themselves.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is those of lower cognitive ability "suffering" from illusory superiority, because they can't see their mistakes. But, just because someone can't see their mistakes doesn't mean they have illusory superiority.

What I was referencing to in my previous post was a separate study.

Yeah but you're a woman and can't protect anything regardless of whether you want to or not, because of your weak body. Thats the difference. Why, just yesterday my sister brought home a turtle she got from a pet shop, and all I had to do was snatch it right from her hands and punt it out the open window. If she can't even protect a tiny turtle from getting punted out a window, how can she protect her loved ones who aren't even tiny?

Your sister obviously doesn't have my super muscles :D No seriously, my boyfriend and I are pretty much evenly matched when it comes to arm wrestling. And in this day and age, there's more to the protection of your loved ones than physical strength.

It would be like putting his head on a spike as a warning to others not to be stupid.

By which I mean: Yes, you should sticky it.

Who wants me to sticky this thread?

It would be like putting his head on a spike as a warning to others not to be stupid.

By which I mean: Yes, you should sticky it.

Dumb idea. No.

Your sister obviously doesn't have my super muscles :D No seriously, my boyfriend and I are pretty much evenly matched when it comes to arm wrestling. And in this day and age, there's more to the protection of your loved ones than physical strength.

look, ill just end it with a one-word answer to the thread's title:

Everywhere.

if ever there was to be a ''best thread of the year poll'', i'm super happy that this one got in at the end of '11 as it's a serious contender. bravo.

Give him some time to find a good place to dump her body.

What the Feminism?

Where's Dynasty gone? What is this?

Well, you should've kissed her obviously, as that is the most important thing to a woman. But whatever you do, don't use the tongue.

He's probably banging her against the bank vault as we speak.

He's probably banging on some drums as we speak, trying to acquire some musical skill with which he can use prove himself to her, since he overheard her in a conversation laughing about how bad her old boyfriend was at the guitar.

I was thinking more this.

I bet you think strippers like you too.

/justkidding

couldnt help myself.

Go get her buddy.

Man, we set up a sweet combo that had lots of potential and you just ruined it for a lame ass joke. God damn it.

A lame-ass joke that Viper basically already made earlier in the thread.

God damn it.

Back