CS:Source beta...only one map(Noooooooooo)

Soundwave said:
No, usually certain areas/classes/races are locked out at first. But in the case of WoW they are slowly introducing more and more areas and player classes as the months go on.
Hehe it was actually with WoW in mind that I asked this :) Mind-reader? Well I hope I will be able to play as an Undead or I'll be mad ;(

Oilrig is too dark. I can't see anybody in the bowels of that map. Personally if I were to pick the map, I would say Siege with the APC. Test out HL2's vehicles online.

I love how some of you mock dust. Dust made CS. Back before dust2 or the spamfests (iceworld and poolday), everybody played dust.

chateau has a little to much Z-axis for my liking. Estate is an awesome map and very underplayed. Assault would probably look good, as would prodigy. Another map that could be greatly enhanced in Source would be 747.

I think DE_Aztec (to test C4, rain weather effects and water) CS_Italy (to test hostages) AS_Tundra (to test snow weather effects and V.I.P.) and DE_Jeepathon2K (to test vehicles) should be in Counter-Strike: Source.

It isn't about testing effects, I'm sure they can do that without making a bèta.
They just wanna test the netcode and stuff.

well wouldn't you pick the most demanding map out there? I mean Dust isn't exactly a big or complex map.

It's not even meant to test the maps, it's meant to bugtest Source on a wide range of systems and why the hell would you wanna "bugtest" maps that have been around for 4 years? The maps don't need bugtesting, it was a matter of importing the cs1.6 maps in Hammer II, refining the brushwork, replace static entities with physically simulated ones and retexture it.

i want them to put one normal map in, and one test map, with loads of dodgy textures and objects to mess around with... like a funhouse!

id love a map like that, just to test out the amazing engine. they could make it a really fun mess around map... that'd be so cool!

Except this is a beta test - not a technology demo. The whole point is to stress-test the netcode in a live environment. That means people playing CS. Lots of people. Over and over again. There's no better way to find bugs.

;(

but i wanna mess around with bouncy balls ;(

What is de_prodigy? I know I've played it, but I really don't know the names well. :x I love de_dust, but not this much. Besides, no one is making you play. I will split beta time and Doom 3 time.

Prodigy is the one where the Ts spawn in that room filled with boxes and crates. It has a room with an APC in it as well...and let's see that's about as good as I can describe it. It's a great map though.

I'll take a better crack at that explanation!

The CTs spawn in a room with large gas pipes. You can either go up, towards a bunker area, of go down, and head down a longer hallway.

The Ts spawn, as Soundwave said, in a bigger room with crates. If you head up the steps, you have to smash a window, and there's an APC in that garage. There's a hole in the wall next to the APC, which looks out toward the bunker I previously mentioned.

The bombsites are 1) at the CT spawn and 2) up the steps from the long dark hallway.

..I have way too much time on my hands ;(

lol. I find it quite funny that some people are complaining of just 1 map when the kids i know that play it only seem to play 3 maps. Think its 3. de_dust2, de_aztec and errrm de_inferno i think. What i want to know is what happened to Hostage rescue.

One other thing that i find funny is when CS b6.5 came out pretty much only 1 map was played for like 2 weeks anyway. I think the people around then know what that was as well.

Im not gonner waste my time playing a CS:S beta anyway. The basic CS system is more than likely gonner remain like the joke of an accuracy system that CS has had for a while now. The dust you will play will be a stripped down version as well so you dont all get to play about with all of sources little in and out bits so they can leave most of the that stuff when they get there money.

Hostage maps tend to be one-sided, due to the fact that most involve a building/houses with few windows, lots of open space between the house/building between the house and the nearest shred of cover, and hostages all being in one area, so basically Ts have to camp one area to win, as opposed to CTs having 2 bombsites to cover on defusion maps.

my mate (dancemag) is in a decent clan called vLr,

Anyway, the ONLY map he plays for practice/ public is Dust_2, and then he plays all the others in clanmatches/ wars/ officials / mixes etc.

but no-one playes hostages as bomb defusal is better, basicly :p

The perpose of the beta is to stress test the engine, not cs source

And besides the map is DE_Dust which never gets borring

It's not even meant to test the maps, it's meant to bugtest Source on a wide range of systems and why the hell would you wanna "bugtest" maps that have been around for 4 years? The maps don't need bugtesting, it was a matter of importing the cs1.6 maps in Hammer II, refining the brushwork, replace static entities with physically simulated ones and retexture it.

not 100% with you on this one. You say its not there to test maps but to test source. Well I'm saying if you're gonna test source, test it on the most cpu/graphic intestive map.

Raxxman said:
not 100% with you on this one. You say its not there to test maps but to test source. Well I'm saying if you're gonna test source, test it on the most cpu/graphic intestive map.

De_dust has all the effects, reflections, normal mapping, different shaders, high res props (cars) high res environment (lots of buildings have been added outside of the playable area) and particles (dust) so I'd say de_dust is pretty intensive.

No water though :(

No beautiful, beautiful Source water...

And not very many barrels :(

Everybody loves a physically simulated barrel...

eugh, dust. rush rush die. italy is where true talent is formed :p

Why are you guys voting for Dust?

This is SOURCE, don`t you want the nice bump water effects and see your enemies falling down from high cliffes, into water or something?

Valve arent going to be using the public to test the graphics or physics they already have people doing that. All this is gonner be is a test on the netcodes to see if they all run smoothly. I wouldnt be suprised if the Dust map is infact a stripped down version not having any barrels or movable objects so their keeping stuff back for the actual release.

Deadly_Magneto said:
hey gramps up yours buddy

:LOL: You just made me laugh so much, I'm only 21! lol

I was referring to the 11 year olds on the forums crying because they don't get more maps... but anyway, yeah.

up yours too, buddy :naughty:

Once CS:S is released, I hope they keep the number of maps balanced. I don't want to see DE kill CS just like those two killed AS (assassination. How do you spell that anyway?) & VIP...

Each time they give us new maps, either give us 1 of each kind or keep to 1 de_map this week, 1 cs_map next time.

A little sidenote :)

Back