Custom Sound Allocation Help.

Reaction score
Alright, everyone, hey I'm a random new person - and I apologise that my first newbie move I make is to start instantaneously posting questions, but I'm seriously frustrated, here. I need some knowledge from some wise modding gurus (even though this is a fairly simple task, but for some reason it's giving me a run for my money.)

So. You know how you can place custom content into the SteamApps/Username/Portal/Portal - or whatever, folder? I'm sure you're all familiar with this nifty little way to easily slap in your own custom whoozawhatsits for your amusement. Well I've fully got that, and I've been working on a sort of.. Fun little number with Portal, fiddling with models, Portal gun sounds - pain sounds, ect, ect. I got that all working jim dandy. What's giving me error is custom GLaDOS dialogue.

I know that the GlaDOS dialogue is suppose to.. I mean, from what I thought, be in the Portal/Portal/Sound/vo/aperture_ai folder, right? To get the custom content to work? But here's the deal, pally's, it isn't. No matter how much I fiddle with it, it's not working. All the sound files are named proper, even the exact same size they initially were - I literally just fiddled with the sound file itself. And to boot, it worked in a different version of Portal (that I'm not sure if it's uhm.. Legality was all that.. Affirmed) where I did a manual over write of the original file, and the custom GLaDOS dialogue worked just fine in game. I've got an official version of Portal, I was just stating this to depict that the sound files are not corrupt, or anything of that sort. I'm really not sure what to do here, is it just not allowed or something..? I don't see why all other custom content works absolutely fine, and replacement dialogue for GLaDOS doesn't.. Am I missing something with the folder these sound files need to be located in? I noticed a similar issue someone had on here involving turret sounds.

Any help would be excellent. Really. I'm raging a little, here, since I've been working on this for some time, now. Thanks for reading if you did, and uh.. Hi. I'd love to wriggle myself into the Valve based community if allowed to. Names Lace, by the way.

Back