Dangerous Waters and Space Empires 4 released

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Valve expands its lineup of non-Source downloadable games today with the release of Dangerous Waters and Space Empires 4 deluxe - both of which are now available for purchase and play. The former is a tense naval strategy simulator (here's a trailer) and the latter is a complex, deep and all-encompassing space empire-building game. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]Click the links below to...[br]</br>Buy Dangerous Waters or Buy Space Empires 4 deluxe[br]</br>Both games come quite highly recommended, and although they may not be everyone's cup of Earl Grey, they reveal the benefits of downloadable content - scope to provide ample entertainment to fill every niche. It will be interesting to see just what the Steam platform evolves into in the future.

hmm, not to keen on the naval strategy games. But im sure naval fans will love it :p
I might go for the Space Empires thing, always loved dominating galaxies :p

PS. I saw a comment on the Garrysmod forums once upon a time - something along the lines of "What, is HL2.net now All Steam Games and Everything Affiliated With Valve dot net?"

If you're wondering the same thing, consider this: we cover all news related to Half-Life 2. It follows that we cover all Source engine mods. It also follows that we cover games that are standalone but included in HL packages and closely-linked with HL2 - for example, CS:S and DoD:S. Because all of it's very closely linked with the Steam platform, we cover changes to that as well. Now where do we draw the line? Why should we stop there? I see no reason not to report on non-Source Steam games and I don't think any of the other staff or content writers do either (if they do, they should speak up D: ). The people who are playing HL2 and related games or mods will be using Steam all the time, and thus will generally have an interest on anything else to do with it.

If you don't like us posting about non-Source Steam games (God knows why; certainly I can't think of any reason) then...don't read the newsposts? Nobody's forcing you to buy them.

EDIT:
Hazar said:
unfortunatly they have rather lackluster graphics
Unfortunately YOUR MUM.

IMHO I think this isnt realy reldevant to the site... unless this has become 'all things steam.net'. steam are gonna be expanding more and more into third party games - are we gonna cover the transition or stick with the good stuff?

however, darwinia dosnt count as its pure, pure, genius. :p

Sulk - Non-source games, not non-steam games :p

Nice release otherwise.

fearian said:
IMHO I think this isnt realy reldevant to the site...

"reldevant"???

This is RELEVANT to the site, seeing as this site also reports Steam news too.

fearian said:
IMHO I think this isnt realy reldevant to the site... unless this has become 'all things steam.net'. steam are gonna be expanding more and more into third party games - are we gonna cover the transition or stick with the good stuff?
Didn't I actually address this?
I mean if you've got a good reason for caring that we cover non-Source-engine Steam games as well I'd love to hear it.

fearian said:

however, darwinia dosnt count as its pure, pure, genius. :p

Considering the fact that there wont be real news on hl2.net more than once every 3 months if they enforce a valve'n'mods-only policy I think covering all valve-related news is a good idea. Sure, based on the name of this site you could argue that covering anything except hl2 and possibly its direct mods is irrelevant, but I think that is too strict a definition.

I think that everything valve does relates to me as a fan of hl2. Even though third-party games have nothing to do with the hl-universe they do have relevance to valve economically. Personally I love valve (and I will be the first to admit that valve and their products have some flaws that I wish were less serious) and whatever influences their cashflow is newsworthy to me.

If valve broke up into two independant companies where one took on the publishing aspect and the other concentrated on development I would not be interested in the former anymore, but as it is valve's role as a publisher directly influences their economic freedom, and thus their role as developers.

Personally I do not care much for these two newest games (mainly because they are "old"), but I do care about valve (and independant developers in general) and I wish them best of luck with these titles. I wont be getting space empires or dangerous waters (unless my general economy improves), but I do own darwinia and rdkf, and I will probably get RO:O when it ships hopefully next month.

All in all I think one of the things that make valve interesting is the steam-platform, which, despite its shortcomings, is currently the best (and afaik only really good) online distribution platform, and as such very interesting in itself.

.bog.

Hazar said:

Well, Space Empires IV originally came out in 2000 so it's a 5 and a bit year old game.

how about valvefanbois.net ?

this site is really losing its relevance to half life 2. admitidly, hl2 is well over a year old and theres not a helluva lotta people playing it anymore and after u3 comes out it will get even fewer with fewer mod teams, but its called hl2.net.

changing the name to "anythingvalve.net " or "freeadvertisingforvalve.net" wouldn't be a bad thing, and then what we see would be the same as indicated in the name.

its said here that this is the largest hl2 site there is, but nowadays, when i want to see mod progress, i go to planethalflife, cause they literally have twice the hl2 mod news. this isn't as much about hl2, or mods anymore, as it is about promoting anything valve is doing. really i don't see the problem with it as alot of interest is lost in a game after a year, but just try to name the site what it is.

look at sine. theres tons of 'ong sin is gonna pwn " people who wouldn't give two rats asses bout the game if it wasn't made in source. chris d wouldn't have made the site for it. the only thing that gives these games credibility to so many people around here is their relationship to valve.

so now i brace myself for the assault after posting my opinion.

oh wait, what about steam.net? then the site would still hold relevance. but when i see this news jumped on so immediatly while seeing these awsome media releases like nightfalls or incomming source's media getting ignored, its a bit sad.

so in the future, don't complain about valve taking so long to answer your interviews, or not giving exclusive content. This place gives them all the FREE advertising for PAID services regardless if they give you anything in return, so why should they?

so what is the number one hl2 mod news site nowadays?

mortiz said:
Well, Space Empires IV originally came out in 2000 so it's a 5 and a bit year old game.

I know, but they could have polished them up a bit

polyguns said:

this site is really losing its relevance to half life 2. admitidly, hl2 is well over a year old and theres not a helluva lotta people playing it anymore and after u3 comes out it will get even fewer with fewer mod teams, but its called hl2.net.

changing the name to "anythingvalve.net " or "freeadvertisingforvalve.net" wouldn't be a bad thing, and then what we see would be the same as indicated in the name.

its said here that this is the largest hl2 site there is, but nowadays, when i want to see mod progress, i go to planethalflife, cause they literally have twice the hl2 mod news. this isn't as much about hl2, or mods anymore, as it is about promoting anything valve is doing. really i don't see the problem with it as alot of interest is lost in a game after a year, but just try to name the site what it is.

look at sine. theres tons of 'ong sin is gonna pwn " people who wouldn't give two rats asses bout the game if it wasn't made in source. chris d wouldn't have made the site for it. the only thing that gives these games credibility to so many people around here is their relationship to valve.

oh wait, what about steam.net? then the site would still hold relevance. but when i see this news jumped on so immediatly while seeing these awsome media releases like nightfalls or incomming source's media getting ignored, its a bit sad.

so in the future, don't complain about valve taking so long to answer your interviews, or not giving exclusive content. This place gives them all the FREE advertising for PAID services regardless if they give you anything in return, so why should they?

Tell you what - go and start your own site. Maybe then you can stop whining about ours. No-one is forcing you to keep coming here.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Tell you what - go and start your own site. Maybe then you can stop whining about ours. No-one is forcing you to keep coming here.
Wait.

We're not?

*unlocks his steel arm bracings*
kk you're free to go :hmph:

On-topic: Ooh I might buy Dangerous Waters, looks cool :O

polyguns said:

www.gowhinesomewherelse.com

It's funny...people will resort to whine and complain about ANYTHING. First it was CSS, then it was HL2..then it's whatever mod is comming out..now this?

For the love of god people, go away...do us a favor. Maybe some people want to know about this sort of thing. Christ.

PS Naval game looks meh to me, just because it looks like it requires intelligence to play..but the space oen looks kinda neat.

wish I had the money to get the Space Empires games, I remember playing the freeware version of SE 3 together a long time back, good memories and I'd love to help these guys.

plus SE IV pwns nothing like wiping out and entire solar system with one click :thumbs:

polyguns said:

We really don't care if you go to planet half-life for your mod news. It doesn't matter to us, because quite frankly we can do without your negative, arrogant and troll like attitude infesting this forum - and the very community which resides here.

Halflife2.net is a site based around the Half-life series, source games, Steam and pretty much anything Valve release. Thats what this site stands for, and what we post and report. We inform people about what Valve are doing, good or bad, and allow people to post their opinions.

So why don't you just run along and host "Antivalveguy.net", because whilst we are "Valvefanbois.net" you are the polar opposite and in my eyes, the worst off. I am quite frankly sick and tired of your troll like behaviour and blatant disregard for anything this site does or says. We don't need your negative attitude here, and as of today we aren't going to tolerate it. Consider this your final warning.

If you've a problem go back to planet Half-life or wherever you wish, just don't come pulling your crap. It is not welcome.

polyguns said:
this site is really losing its relevance to half life 2.
I ask you again: why is this an issue? Why is it a bad thing? We're not 'losing our relevance' to HL2 just because we're diversifying.
polyguns said:
it is about promoting anything valve is doing.
Yeah, because me and Suicide42 (I can't speek for Smash :p) are paid off by Valve to be fanboys. Of course we're not just normal people doing this in our spare time. If Valve were doing something shit that'd be a different matter. They're not. DId you notice how this news post mentioned that the games might not be everybody's cup of tea instead of just saying 'omgwtfawesome'?
polyguns said:
these awsome media releases like nightfalls or incomming source's media getting ignored
Which ones are these? Because, you know, it'd be nice if someone told us. If you see awesome news why don't you use the news submission thingy?

[email protected] . It's quite simple. I'd like to use this as a reminder to EVERYONE - see awesome news? Tell us. I personally don't have time to make news posts about everything I'd like to, let alone go trawling the web for news. So don't complain about us missing stuff unless you've actually given us a tip-off about it. That's like telling someone else for touchng your newly painted door without telling them the paint is wet.

As for Incoming: Source, we previously have been FORBIDDEN from posting their news due to copyright infringement. Now they've made a public statement saying they aren't using any Halo-related stuff anymore, and so we are allowed to post their news again - but you know what, looking at their site, I don't see anything new since that statement.

To reiterate. Are we missing SUPER AWESOME news? Then get off your arse and please tell us. You won't get any mention or thanks in the newspost itself, but the warm feeling in your heart should be enough of a reward, surely?

Pi Mu Rho said:

Thats like people that complain about DoD:S ingame. They hate everything about it, but yet still play the thing... I guess they just like being trolls. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's not my place to say this but: I don't think Pi's, CookieCuttah's or Samon's replies were exactly helpful. I know that people have been complaining about the whole halflife2.net -> all valve news stuff for ages, but simply saying that you don't care and telling them to F off isn't going to help.

Sulkdodds reply seemed to actually care and address the issues that the guy complaining brought up.

Now, if only i had steam on this laptop...and a network that i could connect to it though...and a laptop capable of running any games... i might actually consider the games :D

ive been comming here for 2-3 years now, pretty much for the mod news. My complaint before was the lack of mod news being posted, just cause when i was modding, thats what i wanted to see.

i know its gonna inflame people, but honestly, if you want to go in this direction, it may be a good idear

ya'll act like im the only one who posts this opinion, several people share it.

you do a good job at keeping content rolling on a regular basis, i can get at least 2 updates a day, I just don't want to go anywhere else for mod news. hell im not even registered at phl.

hell, sine is your sister site, promote the hell out of it, get more members, and throw up some ads, make it worth your while, its a good idea, all i did was post my wishes and thoughts. a total nono round these places

Space empires 4 is a bland and unattractive game. It pains me to know that such a boring and ugly game is distributed through steam.

polyguns said:
ive been comming here for 2-3 years now, pretty much for the mod news. My complaint before was the lack of mod news being posted, just cause when i was modding, thats what i wanted to see.

i know its gonna inflame people, but honestly, if you want to go in this direction, it may be a good idear

you do a good job at keeping content rolling on a regular basis, i can get at least 2 updates a day, I just don't want to go anywhere else for mod news. hell im not even registered at phl.

hell, sine is your sister site, promote the hell out of it, get more members, and throw up some ads, make it worth your while, its a good idea, all i did was post my wishes and thoughts. a total nono round these places

It's all about how you present those thoughts and wishes. Your presentation leaves a hell of a lot to be desired and makes you look like a troll.

polyguns said:

You don't come to post anything of deceny though - you post wods of shite every time you click the submit reply button. But like I said, this is your last warning.

Alright, alright, bash him enough. It is certainly true that our news/content could use improvement. But you do come off as a bit of a troll, polyguns. :p

I'll try and post more mod-related news in future, and there's talk of posting a 'What We Missed' newspost every Friday nacht (because we're ALWAYS going to miss something). What do people think about that?

i feel the need to torture the concept artist of Space Emrpires 4.

-dodo

great news, might get them at some point

@the people complaining about this being posted

Just gtfo if you dont like it, its steam related news, and also related to Valve making more money to go into HL2 addons etc theres your link now sod off.

Sulkdodds said:
Alright, alright, bash him enough. It is certainly true that our news/content could use improvement. But you do come off as a bit of a troll, polyguns. :p

I'll try and post more mod-related news in future, and there's talk of posting a 'What We Missed' newspost every Friday nacht (because we're ALWAYS going to miss something). What do people think about that?

I honestly don't mean to be a troll, i truly have thoughts and i express them man, but i do need to realize that alot of people don't like to hear opinions different then theirs. i mean look at the freaking cartoon riots. I could call those people muhammad fanbois, that would be accurate, calling muhhamid a whole, would be trolling, and prolly get my house burnt down.

I know if i crit valve, and it must be my presentation cause your right and 20 people can post my opinion, then when i do it i get quoted like 30 times and then called a throll and threatened. I don't get it though, cause i don't troll, i have a view of valve thats not the greatest in the world, which i express, and a view on mod content, which i express. You can and probably have gone back to look at all my posts, and you can see that I don't troll on every post, but often the same point in a round about way comes up over and over so i comment on it. I have seen people post " that texture sucks" and all kinds of trollish like posts about mod content, which i don't do. i don't go after anyone here personally, call anyone names, or insult peoples work, i have views on valve which i express in forums. and views on reality which i express. well fanboi, but i dunno if fanboi is an insult, more of a description. im a dbz and re4 fanboi, no doubt about it. but i couldn't tell you a single name of the people who made those nore do i love those people enough to get angry at someone who may not like those particular medias

But i reakon how ever often the predictable response some people have to a dissenting opinion has been given, it could be argued that I am trolling cause I know that that hyperemotional response will come out and make people angry. hell i just read a thread where someone calls the name of "fag" for having a differing opinion. now that type of behavior, calling another individual names or harassing them, arguably illegal with recent legislation, will not drive up nearly the reaction that criticizing what you see as a change in your favorite hl2 mod site into a straight up valve site.

Sorry peoples, i like mods, not day of defeat, not naval and space games, i mean i do like those games, but i come here for teh hl2 mods. I like it when they get attention too, cause when they get their news posted on here, people see, they join the team, and the mods are released sooner cause sites like this bring people together.

At the same time, now no more flaming, just trying to show you guys my thought process here, many a commercial games get so much attention, and front page attention. , from you guys point of view, your selling yourself short on this. These people will make money off of your newsposts, mods won't. announcements i could see, but every update is from your point of view giving away free advertising. please no 'if you want your own site starte it or stfu", Just trying to explain how im thinking.

hell, with the fanbase here, and the people who come here, i would approach these companies and try to sell them banner space or something. make ya something off of it. I would just rather see mod news. ah shit, why do i bother posting, ok, let me grab the lube you fellers get ready:stare:

bigburpco said:
That link doesn't work! D:

:D
I guess it should be established for our beloved troll community. As for my post not being useful, well.. I never gave a guarantee to be useful and I can say the same for the statement pointing that out. It serves no purpose to me, you just returned a favor o.o

DiSTuRbEd said:
"reldevant"???

This is RELEVANT to the site, seeing as this site also reports Steam news too.

They should change the damn name to halflife2+SteamNews.net

I wrote this about DW in another thread. And yes, there is a non-Steam demo.

"I've played the Dangerous Waters demo, which has been out for a while. It's very fun, and is superb at what it does. I suggest any fan of the simulation genre at least try it out. Warning: this game requires PATIENCE.

The multistation coop is awesome, basically. I love coop games, so that was a neat feature, possibly my favorite one in the game. Me and a buddy played some multiplayer, with me and him sharing the multiple stations of a submarine. My main was navigation. Balancing stealth and speed isn't easy. How many knots you want to travel at, depth of the sub, etc. My buddy was mostly handling the sonar.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

That was pretty much all he was looking during the bulk of the game.

Myself, I was mostly looking at the navigation interface, looking at the dots slowly going nearer to each other. We spent a lot of time chatting about other stuff in general as well. On the other hand, this was all a pretty tense situation at the same time, as we had to make sure we wouldn't be spotted.

PING. "Hmm, there's something on my sonar."

PING. "Er, something else."

PING PING PING PING. "It's coming from in front of us!"
"That doesn't sound good. It's going too fast to be just our target."
"Torpedoes! They may be headed our way!"
"Evasive maneuvers! Release the decoys!"

This all happened within a few seconds, and boy was it intense. I was changing direction and diving deeper, and while maintaining a decent speed so that we might have a better chance dodging the torpedoes. Of course, this also raised the chance of us being detected. But, by the sound of the torpedoes, we already were, so we took the risk. My friend launched some decoys, all while keeping track of the sonar in order to see where the torpedoes were relative to us. Eventually, it looked like the torpedoes were off-target, and missed off. We breathed a sigh and relief, and went on towards our target.

Some time later...

PING PING PING PING.
"What's that?"
"Sounds like an explosion."
"We're not hit, what's going on?"
"Jolly crap, our allied sub is down!"
"What?"
"The torpedoes were never meant for us."

Oops.

This definitely isn't an experience for everyone, but if you have any patience and see the appeal of what it'd be to be in a real sub, then this game deserves a chance. This was a unique experience that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else. This was a defining gaming moment."

Sulkdodds said:

Good idea. If the idea is going to be applied, then it's information should be summarised. If it is an important news topic then post it as a new one all together.

SPACE EMPIRES A SHAM???

I was looking at this thread and just noticed that certain elements of the screenshots are exactly the same as Ascendancy, released 10 years ago. Some of the aliens races even look the same. [I couldn't find an Ascendancy screenshot to show this]

Starmap
Starmap

Alien races
Alien races

Ship refitting
Ship refitting

But, then I went to the developers' site (which Valve have courteously chosen not to link, so I had to Google). That's where I found this:
The first Space Empires game was created by Aaron Hall in 1993 as a pet project based on his love for other space strategy games such as Star Fleet Battles, Master Of Orion, Starfire, and Wing Commander. After playing around with that game, Aaron decided to add features and make this prototype a bit more playable. After a year of work, the game was interesting enough that with a little more work, it could be public worthy. In 1995, Aaron Hall formed the company known as “Malfador Machinations” to release the game Space Empires II out into the world as shareware. With primitive graphics, but a fun play style, the game was met with acclaim by fans from all over the world.

Anyway, I'm not sure what sort of ratings SEIV has received, but when Ascendancy was released in '96 PCGamer (UK) awarded it 89% (you can find the review via the Ascendancy site in PDF format). You might be able to pick it up in a bargain bin if you look really hard. Logic Factory are still selling it AFAIK but their site shows they're out of stock.

From what I can see, SEIV seems to have some additional features. In Ascendancy the infiltration was simplified somewhat. You needed one colonisation module to take over a planet, but before you could use it you had to destroy all defences on that planet or the colonisation module would be blasted out of the skies. In SEIV you actually have some sort of rudimentary attack force which you compile and kit out yourself. There are also other random spacial anomalies (from what I can tell) in SEIV, which could make it quite interesting.

Back