Peter König Concept Art for Unknown Valve IP SOB and Left 4 Dead

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Peter K?nig has been a big name in producing concept art for some huge projects over the years. He's been at Valve since 2008 as a concept artist, modeler, texture artist working on Dota 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and other projects. His website now shows a host of interesting new Left 4 Dead 2 concepts as well as a space ship with SOB 49 written on the side.

[br]

Late last year, the Dota 2 leak contained some info on this previously unknown Valve IP 'SOB' which suggested it was a game set in space with space ships of some kind. A picture on Peter's blog in 2011 (now removed) can be seen below in comparison to the updated image now on his website Hard Surface / 3D Concepts section. A scrapped project or soon to be announced?

[br]

[br]Thanks to Barnz for the 2011 comparison image.

[br]

UPDATE:
[br]
Peter K?nig responded to an email of mine (smash) about the mysterious concept art that was found on Valve's wall in early 2011, and I would like to share it. I asked him if that art was for practice or production, and this was what he said:
Some of it is mine, not all. Can't comment on it either way.... Some of it is on my site now, so it can't be toooo sensitive, now can it?

Awesome! I was hoping some more stuff would pop up eventually about this mystery space IP Valve is/was working on. I sort of suspect it will never see the light of day but it's pretty cool nevertheless. I get a little weak at the knees with giddy anticipation just imagining what Valve could do with a true 6DOF space shooter... a genre which has all but died out these days while those of us waiting for Descent 4 get older and older.

Hopefully it's scratched. That's some ugly concept art.

tumblr_lxm9jkpHg11qii6tmo1_500.gif

Last night I actually I asked Mr. Konig about that wall of unknown concept art at Valve that we saw early last year - seen here. Some of these pieces can also be found on his portfolio site. I asked if it was just practice, or if it was for an unreleased project. This was his response...

Some of it is mine, not all. Can't comment on it either way.... Some of it is on my site now, so it can't be toooo sensitive, now can it?

A cryptic answer.

And remember that this guy, whoever he is, said Valve was working on a new IP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-MxuJagCM&feature=player_detailpage#t=296s

The original image in the OP was rendered in 2009. His signature "K9" means "Konig 2009"

One of his ships also has "Kosmatka 377" printed on the side of it. This is a reference to Ted Kosmatka, a writer for Valve.

That's a ****ing rad spaceship. Hope something comes of this.

Pretty exciting news. Here's hoping. 6DOF would definitely be sweet

A current-gen 6DOF??? Oh man, OH GEEZ, that would be awesome!

here's hoping+1

Wouldn't mind just a regular space sim either.

Oh, come on! Syd Mead could shit better spaceships than that.

this comparison is so irrelevant. it's concept art, it exists solely to be built upon through comment and criticism.

Who said anything about space?? Some of his art in similar style depicts some of these ships in earth-like environments.

The design looks oddly familiar, but I can't place it.

It does kind of look like an A-Wing and a Naboo Starfighter had sex and pooped this thing out.

It does kind of look like an A-Wing and a Naboo Starfighter had sex and pooped this thing out.

Nah, it's obviously a backwards Firefly that hasn't quite reached maturity.

Back