Dark Souls II

Trying to be quite AC: Revelations in that trailer.

Excited though.

Game looks like its trying to get more mass appeal, but I hope its just as hard as the others. Still have to finish up Dark Souls but that game makes me want to throw the controller sometimes. It also makes me feel very accomplished when I get a bit farther in the game

Game looks like its trying to get more mass appeal, but I hope its just as hard as the others. Still have to finish up Dark Souls but that game makes me want to throw the controller sometimes. It also makes me feel very accomplished when I get a bit farther in the game
How can you say that from watching a 2 minute long cinematic trailer? You think that's indicative of gameplay?

Happy to hear that they intend to have a PC version right from the get go. Here's hoping it goes better than the port of the first one.

Regardless, love Dark Souls so I'm excited for this.

How can you say that from watching a 2 minute long cinematic trailer? You think that's indicative of gameplay?

its the way games are heading these days. guarantee you just like 90% of the games out there its more accessible with a sequel.

The Souls series creator left and they wanna take the series "in a new direction".

Yeah. Okay.

Hmm, wasn't aware of that. I'll chill my expectations until I see some gameplay, then.

Still trying to begrudgingly beat Dark Souls.. I restarted because I did such a shit job with my character, and I'm stuck where I was with the last character, at those god damn gargoyles. Makes me so mad..

But I'll beat it in time for this.

Dog--, there's no shame in popping humanity and getting some help on those two. At least Solaire.

Yea I know, but I have to find some first I had like 6 because I didn't die once from the start of the game, but then one stupid mistake and ****ing DEAD. It was under the dragon bridge with those stupid rats. My guy fell off the edge, then fell off when I went to retrieve it. Nearly broke the controller in half!

Easy way to get some more, just help another guy out with his boss. Souls, humanity, and practice with the boss. Do you have your white soapstone yet?

Nah that's a cheaty way to me. I mean I know it was built into the game, but it's like looking up a walkthrough because your stuck, you needed help and didn't beat it by yourself, know what I mean?

I can dig it. I'd give ya some cracked red eyes if I could so you could go humanity hunting. Try rats, or putting down "Need Humanity" orange signs. Every upvote you get gives you a soft humanity. You've got some options.

Edit- Note, if you help another person with their boss, it only counts as completed for them. You still have to beat yours, in your own world, to progress. You just get the souls, humanity, loot, etc.

What's Demon's Souls like compared to Dark?
Very similar minus the structure, which is level based instead of Dark's more open Metroid-y approach. You start in a hub and move between levels from there, except it's not a linear level 1-2-3-4 sort of thing, you're actually better off switching between different levels when you reach different "stages" of them. So like, I beat the first boss in level 1, the area after that is much harder, but the first area of level 2 will be more suited to my level. The only problem with this is that it's never explicitly stated anywhere, you just have to feel around and see what you can handle, which I found a little confusing but I guess it's sort of the same as picking a path in Dark Souls. Besides that it's a bit less forgiving in general, as you have to start a level over if you die, which is usually a longer trek than just coming from the last bonfire you sat at. Also the more you die the more the "world tendency" shifts towards dark, which makes things even harder. Conversely, the more you win the easier it gets. Yeah. :|

Good game though, just feels a little strange playing it after Dark instead of the other way around. They definitely made the second game a bit more scrutable.

Bumping this because IGN just posted a 12 minute video of Dark Souls II footage!

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/04/10/dark-souls-2-gameplay-reveal-12-minute-demo

Looks quite nice if you ask me. The lighting especially looks better this time around. Gameplay-wise it looks pretty similar, which I know was a concern for many people after comments about making the game more accessible. Really, what I'm looking for is more diverse locations, more diverse enemies, and unique loot and bosses.

Animations look a bit stiff and weird now but besides that I quite like the variety of encounters they showed. The torches are cool, I always like it in games when they force you to cope with dark areas in non-annoying ways. The only thing that has me a little worried is that he didn't seem to take any damage when he blocked that massive overhead attack with the torch, it only reduced his endurance. The same thing happens when he blocks with different weapons in other parts of the video. The way different shields and weapons blocked different amounts of damage was kind of a vital part of choosing whether to play defensively or offensively in the first two, so I wonder how they've changed it to keep that.

I might just media blackout after this. Seeing the twelve minute video dissuaded most of my fears. I want to go in knowing next to nothing about what I'm going to see again.

Yeah, I'm gonna not look at anything and let you guys/BadHat tell me how it is when you end up playing it. (That is, if I ever finish DS1, which I'm committed to doing).

You'll be committed, alright.

I said the same thing about a media blackout with DS1 and ended up watching all the trailers anyway, and spoiled a couple of really cool bosses for myself in the process. So, yeah, gonna try to avoid stuff this time around.

Been doing an SL1 run in DS, was up to Quelaag on a normal character but was getting pretty bored of it as I'd subconsciously just made the same type of character I did in my first play-through, with mostly the same weapons, which I already know inside-out. I'm only up to Capra so far but SL1 is much trickier than I gave it credit for. The low health means bosses can 1-hit me if I'm not careful, but I can deal with that as long as I stay light enough to keep the quick dodge rolls. The real pain in the ass is the low endurance, which severely limits how much damage/evading I can do without stopping to take a break. Requires a lot of care and forethought, especially when one overzealous attack can mean I'm stuck with no way to dodge out at a critical moment.

I'm enjoying this way a lot more though, thanks to the extra challenge and the amount of thought I have to put into it, as opposed to just cruising through on auto-pilot. That said, I'll be relieved when I finally get to Depths so I can buy more pyromancies. Sitting on a fat bounty of souls right now.

You'll be committed, alright.

I said the same thing about a media blackout with DS1 and ended up watching all the trailers anyway, and spoiled a couple of really cool bosses for myself in the process. So, yeah, gonna try to avoid stuff this time around.

Been doing an SL1 run in DS, was up to Quelaag on a normal character but was getting pretty bored of it as I'd subconsciously just made the same type of character I did in my first play-through, with mostly the same weapons, which I already know inside-out. I'm only up to Capra so far but SL1 is much trickier than I gave it credit for. The low health means bosses can 1-hit me if I'm not careful, but I can deal with that as long as I stay light enough to keep the quick dodge rolls. The real pain in the ass is the low endurance, which severely limits how much damage/evading I can do without stopping to take a break. Requires a lot of care and forethought, especially when one overzealous attack can mean I'm stuck with no way to dodge out at a critical moment.

I'm enjoying this way a lot more though, thanks to the extra challenge and the amount of thought I have to put into it, as opposed to just cruising through on auto-pilot. That said, I'll be relieved when I finally get to Depths so I can buy more pyromancies. Sitting on a fat bounty of souls right now.
Hey, I'm doing an OneBro as well :)

I just beat the four kings (which was a ****ING **** to do), I've just been ****ing with lowlevels as a Darkwraith in the berg haha. I should probably get to finishing the game. Are you just beating the game, or are you doing EVERY boss? I'm trying to do every boss myself. I think 4k are among the hardest in the game.. Manus from the dlc might be the hardest, so that's going to be a bitch. But if I did the 4k I think I'm ready for anything.

Make sure you upgrade pyro+10 before descending into blighttown so you can meet Quelaana do ascend the pyro glove past +15 as well. And get the bellowing dragoncrest ring from that sorcerer dude you rescue before Capra. It makes pyro do a shit ton more damage. What weapon you using?

Also if you need help message me! OneBro jolly coop!

Dunno how much I'm gonna do yet, I'll see how my patience holds up. Not looking forward to 4K, that's for christing sure. Haven't done any of the DLC stuff yet so approaching that fresh with an SL1 character will be interesting to say the least.

Will be burning all my souls on pyro shit just as soon as I can, just trying not to lose any before I can get there (**** you Capra). Using the battle axe mostly, planning on making the reinforced club my holy weapon for Catacombs but I prefer the axe's attack animations so I'll probably shove fire on that when I can. Something a bit smaller/quicker would be nice but most swords require dex I don't have and I'm not a fan of daggers.

Would be cool to coop except I already tried a few times with morgs and it's a real pain in the ass to set up, especially when one of you is constantly being invaded by overpowered SL1s trolling early areas.

Dunno how much I'm gonna do yet, I'll see how my patience holds up. Not looking forward to 4K, that's for christing sure. Haven't done any of the DLC stuff yet so approaching that fresh with an SL1 character will be interesting to say the least.
The 4k is all a DPS battle, once you learn how to dodge all of their attacks you just have to do as much damage as you can in a little amount of time (that's why the reinforced club is a great weapon, the two handed strong attack does loads upon loads of damage for what it is). Make sure you got a good magic resist shield for that stupid everlasting homing magic shit they do. Just tank it and run at them. I didn't have one, I had to use a 65 magic resist shield you get from the skeletons in the catacombs haha

Will be burning all my souls on pyro shit just as soon as I can, just trying not to lose any before I can get there (**** you Capra). Using the battle axe mostly, planning on making the reinforced club my holy weapon for Catacombs but I prefer the axe's attack animations so I'll probably shove fire on that when I can. Something a bit smaller/quicker would be nice but most swords require dex I don't have and I'm not a fan of daggers.
I used a divine reinforced club for the catacombs (and Nito's bitch skeletons). What you want to do is get to Anor Londo to get a lightning or fire club/axe/whatever. A +5 elemental weapon does wonders for damage at SL1. I'd recommend going against the 4K with no armor (or very little) to be able to fast roll, as well. Wear the dragoncrest ring for your pyro and you need that other ring for walking in the abyss. They don't really have any killing blows as long as you stay at full health.

Would be cool to coop except I already tried a few times with morgs and it's a real pain in the ass to set up, especially when one of you is constantly being invaded by overpowered SL1s trolling early areas.
Guilty.. I've been doing this with +5 darkwraith gear on and the dark hand as a shield. I invade then slowly walk towards them and they unload on me, barely making a scratch. It's funny, but getting kind of old and I need 30 humanity to save Solaire for Gwyns fight. (hopefully I don't need him, but I'd like to have him as an option in case I can't do it).

**** invaders...I just alt+F4 that shit. They wanna be cheap and rape me with OP gear, I'm gonna be just as cheap.

I'm not in human form enough for it to bother me too much.

Back