Darth Vader not being paid because Return of the Jedi still not profitable

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Last year, we wrote about Hollywood accounting and how the big studios set up "corporations" for each movie, specifically designed to "lose money," often by paying money back to the studio itself. Basically, the studio sets up this "company," but then charges the company a huge "fee," such that the company itself rarely, if ever, becomes profitable. Of course, hugely successful films usually still get past the threshold, but perhaps not all of them. Hugues Lamy points us to the news that the actor who played Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi is saying that Lucasfilm still isn't paying residuals, claiming that the film is still not profitable:

“I get these occasional letters from Lucasfilm saying that we regret to inform you that as Return of the Jedi has never gone into profit, we’ve got nothing to send you. Now here we’re talking about one of the biggest releases of all time,” said Prowse. “I don’t want to look like I’m bitching about it,” he said, “but on the other hand, if there’s a pot of gold somewhere that I ought to be having a share of, I would like to see it.”

If you adjust for inflation, Jedi is the 15th highest grossing films of all time. In other words, the movie has made a ton of money. But somehow, amazingly, Lucasfilm is still able to claim that it lost money

lucas in a choke hold is what I'd like to see

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...cause-return-jedi-still-isnt-profitable.shtml

What a c*nt. He really, genuinely does not give a shit.

Lucas is a aspie **** fosho.
I think Carrie fisher and Mark hamil are the only celebs who call him out on his bullshit

Lucas needs to get thrown into a sarlacc pit. Seriously.

George Lucas is a ****, I can't believe he is such an asshole.

A rich person trying to get richer?! How could this be?

If that's true, it's pretty lame... bet his next contract will be spelled out differently.

Must be hard for Lucas, seeing his films never turn a profit.

While Lucas is indeed a **** this is a hugely widespread practice in Hollywood so the studio execs and accountants ought to be getting most of the blame in this case.

That's true even though Lucas always claimed to NOT be part of Hollywood......

"Lucasfilm has acquired four neighboring ranches..." I'm curious wtf he's doing there... storing leaky barrels of toxic waste?

He's obviously hiding Biozemin-

Back