Dawn of War 2 Multiplayer Beta Hosted By Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>[br]

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Multiplayer is set to be launched via Steam this month. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War - Soulstorm owners will get exclusive access on January 21, or you can wait for the open beta on January 28 when the beta is opened to all worldwide.

All four races (yes, including Tyranids!) will be available to try out in the beta, along with five multiplayer maps and Games For Windows LIVE TrueSkill Matchmaking.

Suck it Fileplanet.

awesome, i got all the dow games over steam including soulstorm. hopefully they wont have changed the multiplayer mechanics as much for multiplayer as they have for singleplayer.

Games For Windows LIVE TrueSkill Matchmaking.

Whats this?, it sounds pretty meaningless, like an Apple product, I assume its optional.

Oh and it fails for having skill in the title,skill and gamers don't go together, now call it TrueArrogance and we have a winner.

Whats this?, it sounds pretty meaningless, like an Apple product, I assume its optional.

Oh and it fails for having skill in the title,skill and gamers don't go together, now call it TrueArrogance and we have a winner.
As bullshit as it sounds, it's actually a really well-designed ranking system. It's essentially what Microsoft uses to rank players on Xbox Live for matchmaking, and it's based off the (pretty awesome) Elo ranking system used in Chess.

I have enjoyed all of relics RTS games, Homeworld, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War, so this is a big deal for me, the new game has some interesting customization elements, and a more combat focused style.

Interestingly, an interview just posted says they have been inspired by Valve to release free DLC packs as a method of combatting piracy and DRM, at last somone gets the idea!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56685

As bullshit as it sounds, it's actually a really well-designed ranking system. It's essentially what Microsoft uses to rank players on Xbox Live for matchmaking, and it's based off the (pretty awesome) Elo ranking system used in Chess.

Interesting.

TrueSkill is really interesting, as it turns out. It came out of Microsoft Research, and it's actually better than something like ELO. It keeps track of both how good it thinks you are, and the level of uncertainty it has about your skill.

When you start, it's very uncertain about your skill, as you play more consistently it becomes more sure that it's right about you. You can find a more mathematical treatment of it up on the web somewhere, if you're interested.

I'm glad I told Digi to add the "Suck it Fileplanet" because....well...we all think that.

This is great. This might get me buying the game. And the promise of common updates... Awesome.

Holy shit, nice. This was completely unexpected and also very soon. I'm not all that optimistic though tbh because the original Dawn of War beta was a buggy piece of shit because they used it to stress test Relic Online. Hopefully it'll be better this time around since that's already well-established now.

Awesome. Kind of weird for rewarding people who bought a shitty game (Soulstorm) but cool nonetheless.

It makes perfect sense, those people spent money on shit, they deserve reward from the people who sold it to them.

Way to go Valve! Suck it Fileplanet Subscribers!

Was Soulstorm the one with Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle?

If so, meh for that.

EDIT: Yay for the Beta though. Totally forgot to say that.

You guys realize Relic didn't make Soulstorm. Iron Lore (the guys who made Titan Quest) made it.

Iron Lore then closed down and Relic did they're best to get a patch out for Soulstorm, but it's a little difficult to support a game you didn't make.

will the other races we havent seen so far like chaos be in either this or the final game?

will the other races we havent seen so far like chaos be in either this or the final game?

afaik Chaos won't be in this game.

Do I have to have soulstorm on steam to be able to get the beta early? Because I just have the "real" version of it.

Microsoft Research

It came out of Microsoft Research, and it's actually better than something like ELO. It keeps track of both how good it thinks you are, and the level of uncertainty it has about your skill.

Back