Dead Island gameplay video

I only picked up on two people including yourself who mentioned that >_<

Three people. Which isn't "no-one".

Shift, as for open-ended zombie action-games, we have the Dead Rising series, first one came out in 2006.

Sure, they're not identical but they both share the same basic concept of an open-ended world with zombies and various 'Missions' to undertake as well as crafting systems.

Just to be clear I was also implying it looked boring. They would have been better off copying Left 4 Dead or going completely rogue and trying something completely new and different. Instead you just see bits and pieces of zombies games we've seen mixed with some not-that-exciting aspects of other games like Far Cry 2 and Borderlands. It seems like a game I might play if it became cheap well after it released.

I read that turning off parts of the HUD including damage indicators will be possible :)

But goddamn, these sound/look like the most unlikable and annoying characters ever (and I don't mean that in a good humanly flawed sort of way) I guess I will be chosing the character with the least annoying voice and one liners.
http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/characters.php

Old, but this video makes the game look possibly promising in the combat department-

Honestly, the game looks like it could be fun for an hour or so but then get bogged down in crap. Plus "achievement unlocked; reload your gun" and rehashed internet memes put me off about as much as anything ever could.

Oh, hey, a 'comical' zombie game with one-liners and crazy weapons, what a refreshingly new idea.

God it looks terrible. The only decent bit I saw was a decent lighting engine. Looked pretty slow and boring, very much trying to copy L4D and failing.

^ agreed. This looks nothing like L4D - letting you explore wide open spaces rather than herding you through narrow maps.

This guy has several videos uploaded of him playing the PS3 version of the game. Yes, he definitely sucks at this game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTXvLCd7xYU

I guess, some people expected this be an open world version of Left4Dead but it's clearly not. It's Boiling Point: Road to Hell/Fallout 3 with Zombies but with much better visuals and less buggier, i hope. It's clearly a game with a lot of depth. I am really tempted to get this after seeing that campaign footage. I am just worried about the PC version ending up being another shitty port.

I am buying this game on release, have it pre-ordered!

I can't wait!

Currently I only have the PC version pre-ordered, will see what the reviews of it are like before I actually pick up the copy though.

Melee attacks drain stamina? I like. Fingers crossed the PC port lets you edit the FOV at the very least.

I think I shall be definitely getting this. There are a few things which annoy me, such as some silly weapons, but I can overlook those since I will get to explore and it's coop so it will be great fun.

I watched the first video, seems like that guy has 24 videos from the main story. Seems like it is a decent length too! I liked the video. Pre order for me I think!

Thanks TwwIX!

Got it through that also saved a tiny amount of cash by trading in the copy of Deus Ex GOTY that I got when I bought DX:HR through them!

Now it cost me roughly 31.85 USD instead of the 47 USD of the physical copy (Or the 71 USD from the Steam Store!)

Once again, thanks!

Thanks for the code! I really should remember to check GMG out before I make any more purchases on steam. I got Deus Ex: Human Revolution for £23 too!

Game sounds fun from reading a lot of reviews. I know the story and dialogue is going to be bad, but the survival aspects of the game sound like enough to have me hooked for a few weeks.
I am surprised to hear that the character abilities are all very different, I wish they would have released the skill trees on the official website. Curious how the assassin class plays in a game like this.

After seeing some gameplay videos a month or two ago, I thought this would be a good game. But somehow I was put off by that gametrailers review - the game looks too silly and the visuals do not impress. I didn't even make it through the whole review.

The PC port of this is currently horrible.

They claim they released the wrong version to North America and they've supposedly been making patches for it or something. At the moment it is unplayable for me. Tons of FPS problems, texture issues, freezing, crashing, etc, etc. One patch they released reset my character to the first quest of the game..
Also, they claimed earlier that the PC version was not a port and that they developed them separately; this is either total bullshit or the devs are kind of dumb, because everything about this game has consoley things littered about.

Even if they patch up all the holes I can say this game is probably a lot better on an xbox.

Some clarification from an outsider on the Steam forums.

The version that was released on Steam, was the build sent to Microsoft to get approved for the Xbox 360.

As some people have already had a suspicion about from some of the game files, saying "Xbox Live Submission Project Version".

Which is exactly what it is.

I'm glad I chose against buying this.

Oh dear....

Still debating on getting this. There's already been an abundance of zombie games in the last 5 years.

Well you won't look like that to other players. Those are just the animations on the body you see from the first person perspective. Go look at Mirrors Edge in 3rd person too.

Well when they finally do get it fixed, the goddamn average still won't look good seeing how users decided to review this bugged out version.

Apparently, they uploaded the wrong build to Steam. Several people rummaged through the game's files and found evidence that it is an older build. Deep Silver is being very vague though. It initially had a no clip mode that was bound to the Y key but it's been removed earlier today with a small patch. I didn't notice any major issues with the game until they released the patch today. The game ran flawlessly and i had no crashes whatsoever. Yes, there's bugs of course but nothing that hindered my progression or fun factor. The patch that was released today corrupted my save file and also introduced some stutters. Starting a new seems to fix both issues though. Luckily, i only finished one or two of the quests. So, i am not worried about losing my progression. I've spent most of my time exploring the island and coming up with new ways of killing zombies.
Fallout 3 and Las Vegas were far buggier than this game but they were still enjoyable to play. Have patience and let them resolve the issues. Don't bother going to the Steam Forums. The users the Steam forums are just as bad as YouTube's commentators. Buncha belligerent, self entitled little shits that can't string one coherent sentence together.

Go here instead, http://www.dead-island.com/forums/. That site can't handle the traffic though and it's been down a few times. The devs post on there though.

Deep Silver will also be compensating all of the costumers that unlocked the game yesterday.

Conclusion: I am loving it! It's what i expected the Dead Rising series to be. It has a darker and more serious tone and the ambiance is quite eerie at times. You can build weapons ala Dead Rising but the overall gameplay is slower paced and less arcadey. There's a weight to the character and the weapons you use. Every enemy require different tactics. You actually swing the weapon and have to time your attacks instead of just hacking away at things. If you really liked what you saw in the gameplay footage that i posted, you won't be disappointed. This game will only get better with mods.

Edit: By the way. The GMG version of the game unlocks the Ripper Weapon too and not just the future Arena DLC. It lets you slice and dice every part of a zombie. :) Fun, fun!

^What character are you playing?

Xian seems to be the best for soloing, Logan's boomerang ability sounds fun but I haven't seen it implemented, and Purna seems useless at the moment because her tree is almost entirely guns.

^What character are you playing?

Xian seems to be the best for soloing, Logan's boomerang ability sounds fun but I haven't seen it implemented, and Purna seems useless at the moment because her tree is almost entirely guns.

I playing as Sam B. From what i can tell, he's the closest thing to a Tank class and does more damage with blunt weapons. Since the majority of the weapons at the beginning are blunt weapons. Anyway. The class system is similar to Borderlands. They all have their own skill trees and abilities but no weapon restrictions.

Anyone know any where to get this game for cheap? like $30 cheap?

^You could have preordered it from greenman gaming for 33 bucks, but now its too late I am guessing.

well I wont get paid til Friday anyway.Maybe there be some sale by then.I don't think this game is going to be $50 for long.

Try Greenman Gaming. The Deus Ex code still worked after release for me.

Dopefish of laddergoat fame puts his sharp critical eye to the dev build. :>

Back