Decided to replay Half-Life 2 but there's a problem...

Reaction score
I can't get autoexec.cfg to work AT ALL.

I tried everything.

#1 I checked to make sure the syntax for the cvars I wanted to use was correct:

cl_detaildist "10000"
cl_detailfade "50"
lod_TransitionDist "10000"
r_lod "-4"

#2 I checked to make sure the path was correct:

C:LocalDisk/ProgramFiles/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/[accountprofile]/half-life2/hl2/cfg

#3 I checked to make sure valve.rc contained the correct parameters:

// load the base configuration
//exec default.cfg

// Setup custom controller
exec joystick.cfg

// run a user script file if present
exec autoexec.cfg

//
// stuff command line statements
//
stuffcmds

// display the startup level
startupmenu

#4 I checked to make sure both autoexec.cfg and config.cfg was set to read-only.

#5 I tried running hl2 in offline mode

#6 I tried disabling steam cloud

#7 I tried validating cache files

#8 I checked to make sure autoexec.cfg contained the correct .CFG file extension

#9 I tried using both +exec autoexec.cfg and -exec autoexec.cfg in launch options

EVERYTHING! but I get nada. Does anyone have any suggestions because I'd like to use other cvars in my autoexec.cfg once I get it working. Using the console everytime at startup is cumbersome.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
You should try and go into your config.cfg file in the cfg folder, and add this simple line to the bottom of the script: "exec autoexec.cfg"

Hopefully that should work. If it doesn't, then I have no clue on what you could do next. Reinstall the whole game from scratch? xP

Since SteamPipe was introduced the HL2 directory is now in 'common' instead of your steam username... if i'm right

You should try and go into your config.cfg file in the cfg folder, and add this simple line to the bottom of the script: "exec autoexec.cfg"

Hopefully that should work. If it doesn't, then I have no clue on what you could do next. Reinstall the whole game from scratch? xP
That's what valve.rc is supposed to be there for. I didn't try that before posting here but that didn't work either. Thought I'd try anyways since I'm desperate.

Since SteamPipe was introduced the HL2 directory is now in 'common' instead of your steam username... if i'm right
I've already tried that but maybe it was the wrong path?

"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\config" and there are 2 folders under config. Cookies and html. The html folder contains another folder called AppCache.

Damn, HL2 is completely bugged. I tried to launch HL2, and look deeper into it, but behold, another glitch in the system prevented me from starting the game.

Ly8RxRi.png

if anyones curious on what it actually says, it just means that the DLL file doesn't exist or didn't get found. Oh golly, More problems! Although, this was fixed with a simple validation of the cache.

Anyways... I got two solutions for you:

1. You can go into Half-Life 2 properties, and set up your launch options. Put your autoexec codes in there. (Remeber to have a "-" for every command you enter)

2. Or altenatively, you can add this line to your config.cfg file: bind "[key]" "autoexec". (Remeber the quotation marks) As long as your autoexec.cfg commands is set up the same way as you would type them in the console, everything should be OK! And if that doesn't work, you can always just type "exec autoexec" in the console.

Hopefully this should help you.

Damn, HL2 is completely bugged. I tried to launch HL2, and look deeper into it, but behold, another glitch in the system prevented me from starting the game.

Ly8RxRi.png

if anyones curious on what it actually says, it just means that the DLL file doesn't exist or didn't get found. Oh golly, More problems! Although, this was fixed with a simple validation of the cache.

Anyways... I got two solutions for you:

1. You can go into Half-Life 2 properties, and set up your launch options. Put your autoexec codes in there. (Remeber to have a "-" for every command you enter)

2. Or altenatively, you can add this line to your config.cfg file: bind "[key]" "autoexec". (Remeber the quotation marks) As long as your autoexec.cfg commands is set up the same way as you would type them in the console, everything should be OK! And if that doesn't work, you can always just type "exec autoexec" in the console.

Hopefully this should help you.
I tried setting the cvars under Half-Life 2 properties under Steam and that didn't work and I tried assigning a key binding and that didn't work. When I type exec autoexec in the console, it says autoexec doesn't exist so I'm guessing what Zaxxer said about the steampipe update is true. The path, "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2" must no longer be valid and I need to find the correct path. Other forums also say the same thing. Question is where?

I tried setting the cvars under Half-Life 2 properties under Steam and that didn't work and I tried assigning a key binding and that didn't work. When I type exec autoexec in the console, it says autoexec doesn't exist so I'm guessing what Zaxxer said about the steampipe update is true. The path, "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2" must no longer be valid and I need to find the correct path. Other forums also say the same thing. Question is where?
The correct path would be C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Half-Life 2\hl2. Thats the path with the actual game. If you put your autoexec in the username Half-Life 2, it's not going to work.

Back