Decree - Spoilers!

What GLaDOS says IS a lie, like even SHE said, it's reverse
If u remember at one point she says "as part of the test protocol, we will start ENHACING the truth in 3, 2, 1...."

she actually glitched before she said 1, so she might have forgotten about saying that, so she continued to lie.

in half life 1, there was a picture of a baby in gordons locker in the locker room, possibly the girl in portal is his wife or doughter?

in half life 1, there was a picture of a baby in gordons locker in the locker room, possibly the girl in portal is his wife or doughter?

No. It's a meaningless easter egg.

Because the HL1 manual says that Gordon has no dependents.

And because there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. It's a pretty big leap to go from "photo" to "it's Chell" with basically no grounding.

I find the amount of people believing Chell to be an Android rather stunning. Why on Earth would the Relaxation Vault have a toilet in it for example? Androids wouldn't need to use it.

Another piece of evidence is the way that her leg extensions are not actually a part of her - they seem very much clip-on. Surely if Chell were an Android they would be built into her legs - taking on a very different design?

Otherwise I believe this is set after HL1. All the employees took flight and ran for it. The morality chip was a load of rubbish.

andriod doesnt mean robot it just means a % of u is human and a % of u is robot, so she could be like 50% robot like a artificial heart or lung for example

I agree with TKa4 it might be a fill in between HL1 and HL2 and i also agree that there might be more test subjects that she repeatedly works with and if there are do they rebel as Chell did?

1. Chell isnt a android, those leg implants are against damage form high falls
2. Portal is during half life 1 when gordon was in stasis

Maybe Chell is the daughter of Cave Johnson but GLaDOS took over before Cave Johnson saved Chell and now GLaDOS made clones or andriods of her? (There is a factory for building turrets inside the building though)

How do you know?

2. Portal is during half life 1 when gordon was in stasis

quite, how do you know?

and I think there was some connection with the gman here; maybe twas' him that installed the chip on GLaDOS that stopped her killing people, we know that gman seems to recruit people he "likes", who can survive against overwhelming odds (I.E gordon, shephard, alyx) maybe he wanted chell?

Portal is (I think) during pre-Half-Life 1. When escaping the Enrichment Center, you pass by projecters in rooms with "Competing with Black Mesa" being projected.

Yes, actually you have a point there. Black Mesa still exist, so it's highly unlikely that something hasn't happened there during our gameplay. Also that leads me to a BM conspiracy theories, but naah.

On the other hand all that stuff could have happened ages before Chell came out of stasis, and Aperture could have been abandoned for a very long time.

My theory is that it was the portal storms that came right after the events of HL1 which caused the enrichment center to be evacuated. That would explain why the presentations act like Black Mesa still exists.

So why was the whole facility empty ?

I see 2 possible answers.

-GLaDOS killed everyone in the facility
-Everyone evacuated the facility because she was threatining to kill them
-GLaDOS was simply built and left alone as an experiment on how well a computer understood the scientific process

If Chell is an Andriod, then it is very possible that the previous subjects were also Chell(s). So Chell is writing her own clues every step of the way, though the insanity is missing from the Chell we play.

I'm pretty sure the leg implants are spring boots (if I remember reading somewhere), and not direct implants. Of course I could be wrong.

It is possible that every subject begins at the room we saw at the beginning of the game. Perhaps the Pod is picked up and changed everytime a new subject is ready, and all subjects (andriod or not) is given a period of time living in the room before beginning.

Although I don't think Chell is an Android, it is entirely possible. Androids are suppose to strongly resemble humans. Fake tissues, fake blood etc. So It is safe to assume they have metabolisms similar to humans, such as digestion.

Non. NON. Why would a android need metabolism? All that it needs is a big Li-Ion battery and a handful of chargers. Though fake tissues is possible, why'd a android need blood? Yes, its good that they bled like humans but not needed.

Non. NON. Why would a android need metabolism? All that it needs is a big Li-Ion battery and a handful of chargers. Though fake tissues is possible, why'd a android need blood? Yes, its good that they bled like humans but not needed.

I think you're confused as to what an Android is. An Android is a "robot" that is suppose to look and act like a human. You are probably thinking of the Terminator.

Androids don't necessarily need to have metabolism, but they can replicate a similar effect. Like digestion, eating and swallowing. It's not about whats not needed for portal, it's about whats possible.

As far as I know, Chell herself probably doesn't even know she is an Android (if she is one), because Androids resemble humans in every daily life aspect. Of course the Androids we have now in reality are nowhere close to what Humans act like, but whenever we define an Android it is something that "looks" and "acts" like human.

So yes, Chell being an Android is very possible, but IMO she is not, though there is sufficient evidence to say she is.

I think Portal takes place in the events of Half Life 2, because GLaDOS says something along the lines of "Whatever is out there will make you wish that you were still down here. I have an infinite capacity for knowledge, and im not sure what's going on outside". Could she be referring to the Combine by any chance?

Probably. Otherwise the military would have gone bananas on the place like they did at Black Mesa. Most of the world is apparently perfectly lovely post-invasion, since Valve jettisoned the atmosphere poisoning idea.

The only reason HECU went to Black Mesa was to kill everything inside to stop the knowlege of other dimensions and races getting out. It is possible they was also there to stop the invasion from continuing but if OpFor is partly canon then it is probable they had no idea of the extent of the invasion before they entered the facility. Which means that the armed forces would have almost no reason to go the the Apreture science facility to kill/destroy/eradicate/cover up.

if Aperture had been wiped out by her, there would be bodies everywhere.

Someone (or something) must be clearing out the chambers, becausewhen you return to the "Impossible" chamber during your escape, the cube on the button is gone.

I think Portal takes place in the events of Half Life 2, because GLaDOS says something along the lines of "Whatever is out there will make you wish that you were still down here. I have an infinite capacity for knowledge, and im not sure what's going on outside". Could she be referring to the Combine by any chance?

Maybe it's refering to the War in Iraq, the economic collapse, global warming...keep in mind GLaDOS was built in the late 90s, round about when Chell was probably put into the chamber.

Maybe it's refering to the War in Iraq, the economic collapse, global warming...keep in mind GLaDOS was built in the late 90s, round about when Chell was probably put into the chamber.

I wouldn't think so, I thought Portal was part of the Half-Life Universe and not ours. It's probably referring to the Combine. I would place Portal around the same time as Point Insertion - We Don't Go To Ravenholm in Half-Life 2

Just an idea. Portal is set during half life 2 and aperture science were creating, or trying to create the super weapon (Portal gun) to use agenst the conbine. all the markings are from where the other clones of yourself have gotten to to help the next one. the black mesa slideshows were left from the many years of desertion. also, to further my point, Glados says "Things have changed since you were last out" meaning the conbine, headcrabs, vorticaunts and antlions.:cool:

PHEW!!

But what about the gun itself?

The gun looks rather similar to the Gravity Gun in HL2, and in HL2E1 Alyx even says the Dark Matter Gravity Gun "looks like it could shoot portals."

Chell isn't an android, for everyone who wasn't paying attention to this thread, simply because GLaDOS tries to kill you with a neurotoxin, and GLaDOS also clearly states: I could take a bath in this stuff. Rub it over my eyes, honestly, it's not deadly at all, to me..

Dont know if its relevent or not but in one of the first hidden rooms you find, the calender with the hot girl says the year is 1988. I dont know for sure but i was under the impression that HL1 was set in the time period it came out in 1998. So its clear that the facility has been evacuated for some time due to all the signs pointing towards it. I would say portal is definitely set between HL1 and 2

First off, the mettalic 'jumpers' attached to Cheryl's legs are simply shock-absorbers clamped to her knees. They prevent her from sustaining damage from large falls. Theyr'e standard issue in the Aperature science facility.

Second, the morality core which was knocked out of GLaDIS was removed by the G-Man, and then reprogrammed and refitted by the G-Man. GLaDIS was not repogrammed directly by the G-Man, but her "personality" must have somehow been fabricated or changed for her to commit such genocide so randomly.

And yes, Portal is almost definately post Resonnance-Cascade, while Portal 2 is going to be hundreads of years after the events of Half life 2.

Second, the morality core which was knocked out of GLaDIS was removed by the G-Man, and then reprogrammed and refitted by the G-Man. GLaDIS was not repogrammed directly by the G-Man, but her "personality" must have somehow been fabricated or changed for her to commit such genocide so randomly.

Haha what

i seem to be the only one who notices the main chink in the theroy that GLaDOS gassed the Aperture facility.

GlaDOS dosent have arms, or drones, so if she gassed them, how did she dispose of the bodys? why is there no sign of resistance? anyway, she only 1ce gassed the ENRICHMENT CENTER, not the whole facility, so, even if she did gas them, people from the rest of the facility would have contained her, and the gas.

its apparent that the facility was maybe evacuated long ago, if u look at ANY of the props (espicialoly the floor buttons), you'l notice that that the paint is developing hairline fractures, and is even pealing.

also, the quote, "you must be the pride of, subject town here" that many have been mistaking as GLaDOS being sarcastic, is really a show of how the faciity has continued post evcuation, with no people, theres no1 to program the test subject info into GLaDOS's memory, although she has access to ur subject files, hinting that uve been there a LONG time, even though ur the 234 test subject

oh yea, 2 last things, one of the test subjects was a chicken, and the clipboardm has a large FAILED stamp across it, get it, it failed, and it was a chicken, ah, hidden humor
and 2, chell has scars behind her ears sugesting brain surgery

This "Chink"(*silent giggle") No chink my freind. A computer which runs the entire facility dosen't need arms. She has androids at her disposal and moving platforms planted on her fingertips. She has robotic limbs which litrally decend from the ceiling and dispose of the bodies, throwing them into acid pits or furnaces(similiar or the same to the ones used to destroy the personality cores).

For future referance, I tried to play Portal alone in the dark and I the fear nearly made me..pee...

Haha what

What you mean what?

What you mean what?

There is absolutely no evidence that the Gman has done any work in Aperture Science at all, or messed with Glados, or was even in Portal in any shape or form.

As it happens, using the Gman is trying to explain something that can't be explained.

Like witches.

I think that the module was installed by the guy who left the hints, writings and all the stuff which helps you to get to GLaDOS at the end of the game (an accident survivor or an escaping test subject). And there is no trace of him in the last room which might mean that he managed to install the module and then got killed by GLaDOS.
PS Where to continue the discution of AperatureScience.com?

No, the one who left the wrighting was known as the "RatMan". He died quite some time ago. He was a previous employee of the Aperture Science Facility and was responsible for Mantaining GLaDIS. How he survived is uncertain, but he did not design the module.

There is absolutely no evidence that the Gman has done any work in Aperture Science at all, or messed with Glados, or was even in Portal in any shape or form.

As it happens, using the Gman is trying to explain something that can't be explained.

Like witches.

The G-Man is a random and spontanious character, but what can be gathered from his actions and his occasional monologs is that he works for some higher entity. He had manipulated Gordon freeman to aquire Xen. He is the most likely figure to have reprogrammed and fabricated GLaDIS because not only could he have remained undetected(he is never seen by anyone in Half-life 1 albeit being blatently in their line of sight) and he had a reason: he was probably trying to destroy the Aparture Science Labs so the Portal technology wouldn't fall into the Combine's hands, which is why the Combine desperantly want Borealis:)D I love Borealis :D)to develop their portal technology.
If the Combine had aquired such invovation this would probably have affected the timelines and maybe have affected the outcome of the G-Man's next scheme(which seems to be a motive to destroy the Combine, based on the fact he aquired Xen, a borderworld the Combine would not travel to. The G-Man's employers probably want the Combine destroyed).

You're conjuring up an unnecessary deus ex machina.

Also, why are you responding to two year old posts?

You're conjuring up an unnecessary deus ex machina.

Also, why are you responding to two year old posts?

They seem to be the only posts, and why the referance to the Matrix films? How does this fit as an analogy of the Machine king?

Ok, a little stupidty on my behalf, which can be explained.
The only referance I knew Dues ex machina as was the Overlord from Matrix reveloutions.

I did not know it was an ancient greek term reffering to a very bad or poor introduction of a new character, but at that, i don't see how I could have formed such? How did I make a Dues ex machina? The G-man has a perfect role to play, infact he could be the last jigsaw in the eternal puzzel?

Back