You know the drill guys:

- Only post spoilers in a 'spoiler' thread
- Any thread with spoilers must be clearly labelled
- Spoilers for other games such as Episode 2 should always be in
tags, and always be clearly labelled
- Do this or get portal'd to Samon's basement

So why was the whole facility empty ?
Why did GLaDOS wanted to kill us ?

Im pretty sure we were fabricated to test either the facility, the gun, or both. I heard a robot reference on one occasion which got me thinking, "maybe we arent even human"

The facility was empty because Glados had toxin'd people, like she tried to do to us in the end fight. The questions are

1. after that happened who installed the chip in her to stop her from doing that again?

2. Obviously those people are dead too, since the place is deserted. Some survivors had found ways into the nooks and crannies of the place and even lived for a bit (beans and water, ew). What happened to the remainder of the workers?

3. How is Glados getting new test subjects with no one to bring them in?

she calls the player android @ one point, which is an synonym for robot.

iconic- said:
she calls the player android @ one point, which is an synonym for robot.
Yes, she does, but that's because the player is put in the wrong course - it's a test chamber designed for androids, because apparently the human one is broken down. That's why the guns fire live rounds. Or she's lying and trying to freak you out.

Yorick said:
1. after that happened who installed the chip in her to stop her from doing that again?
Someone must have been left alive but they've clearly left, or been killed by turrets or something. It's entirely possible that there were so few people left alive, and that the world was in such a state (see below) that they sealed off the entire place and fled to the surface.

Yorick said:
2. Obviously those people are dead too, since the place is deserted. Some survivors had found ways into the nooks and crannies of the place and even lived for a bit (beans and water, ew). What happened to the remainder of the workers?
Dead, or escaped. That the place is quite clearly abandoned, despite being a US government contracted facility, suggests the portal storms have already begun. Otherwise, the army would want to protect its investment and even if nobody had escaped the complex to tell tales of GLADOS they would have clocked something was up and eventually been able to get in. What stopped them? The Black Mesa Incident and the subsequent crazyfication of the whole world.

Yorick said:
3. How is Glados getting new test subjects with no one to bring them in?
When you first wake up you're in some sort of covered bed. Probably a stasis machine. There must be a load of other test subjects (or maybe you were the last?) that she's keeping on ice as, in her madness, she constantly repeats and re-repeats the test protocals programmed into her.

not sure if anyone noticed, but you had some robotic, non-human attachments on your legs

Similar to stalker legs.

You might be a robot but I think it's more likely they're some kind of device that allows you to never take any fall damage. :p

Yeah it's pretty widely accepted that the leg implants are to prevent fall damage (since there is none).

Yeah it's pretty widely accepted that the leg implants are to prevent fall damage (since there is none).

Even more widely accepted because that's what the developers have said they're for in no uncertain terms.

Theory is your character is the daughter of an employee there, thus the offer to bring your daughters to have them tested...

GlaDOS definately went SkyNet on the place and killed everybody, save for perhaps a few survivors...at least one person liveed a fairly long time afterwards in the nooks and crannies...there were scratches, possibly to list the number of days in there...I consistently counted 90 chalk marks on the walls, indicating 3 months of survival in those sections on water and beans cooked on a CPU...

Its a good question as to who installed the module to keep her from doing that again...its possible the survivors who did that were killed either in the sludge pools or crushed by those rediculous pump bars....

I disagree that this is post Black Mesa incident, as you dont see anything alien looking outside, just the abandoned front gate...

with only that god awful radio song to listen to on repeat. haha.

Hey all new here, just beat portal (only got the last bonus mission to finish)

At one point in the end sequence you can hear Glados say something along the lines of "why would you want to leave this place, theres isnt much on the surface to go back to"

i dont remember the exact quote but she definitely made it sound like its post HL1 but maybe not quite at the HL2 timeline

I just want to re-iterate that Chell is not an android.

"Well done, android. The Enrichment Center once again reminds you that android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance."

She said that because the stage was configured for the android turrets. Keep in mind that the androids seemed to have their own AI personality, so its not unreasonable to have congratulation messages at the end of their successful stages.

I think our character is an android. Remember in the final battle, the computer says "The only difference between you and me is that I can feel pain." Doesn't that imply that you're a machine? Also the frequent references to being an android and going to android hell, etc, just seem to coherent to be a joke.

Theory is your character is the daughter of an employee there, thus the offer to bring your daughters to have them tested...

GlaDOS definately went SkyNet on the place and killed everybody, save for perhaps a few survivors...at least one person liveed a fairly long time afterwards in the nooks and crannies...there were scratches, possibly to list the number of days in there...I consistently counted 90 chalk marks on the walls, indicating 3 months of survival in those sections on water and beans cooked on a CPU...

Its a good question as to who installed the module to keep her from doing that again...its possible the survivors who did that were killed either in the sludge pools or crushed by those rediculous pump bars....

I disagree that this is post Black Mesa incident, as you dont see anything alien looking outside, just the abandoned front gate...

Iterating on this a bit:

Since there's children's drawings left on the walls (the jellyfish ones) it's safe to assume that GLaDOS did the toxin thing on "Bring your daughter to work" day. Which means GLaDOS killed a whole bunch of children and most of their parents. Possibly the ones who were left were so devastasted that they left those drawings as relics and installed the module. Now, while the module disallowed GLaDOS to go nuts again it most likely didn't prevent it from causing a full system lockdown which trapped the rest of the now undermanned staff inside which eventually ran out of resources while waiting for rescue. Considering how much opportunities GLaDOS gives for it I believe most of the people left behind committed suicide eventually in various pools of acid and such.

Where do the test subjects come? Assuming those stasis pods the player wakes up in do what such pods usually do which is slow down the person's metabolism drastically it's very much possible that when the place was filling up with gases some of the parents took the drastic measure of putting some of their children and maybe even themselves into those pods since they clearly have their own independent life support. This would support the thought that Chell is one of the children from that day just as the GLaDOS' rant about Chell not being even a full-time employee.

All in all, the more I think about Aperture Science's events the more horrid it seems.

Since it slows down metabolism, how would the person inside turn from a girl into a fully developed woman?

Does it slow down metabolism? Is it a 'stasis' chamber at all or rather just a life-support machine acting as a prison?

Since it slows down metabolism, how would the person inside turn from a girl into a fully developed woman?

Slowing down doesn't mean halting. Plus it's possible Chell was already at that point in her life when she was thrown into the tube.

You do raise a good point though.

We must always remember that GlaDOS is is hopelessly unreliable about everything she says, but there are always some grains of truth in her talk and she actually isn't a very good liar, or that kind of impression she left to me - the little things she blurts out unexpectedly are more likely to be true than the routine test-related stuff. Based on this, I think that the whole 'android' thing is actually the truth. She wasn't supposed to say it, but the android test course made her forget herself. Again, this is just my personal gut feeling, but it felt so off compared to everything else that it raised my flags.

I don't think that any of the pictures are drawn by children [or employees. More likely I think they've been made by the previous test subjects (android or human? Anybody's guess - if you're an android then there propably isn't a whole lot of difference, psychologically) who have become increasingly deranged in the Kafkaesqe enviroment of the Enrichment Center. They're also most likely responsible for leaving all those hints for where you should be going, since they may have known or hoped that some others would come after them.

I think our character is an android. Remember in the final battle, the computer says "The only difference between you and me is that I can feel pain." Doesn't that imply that you're a machine?

I doubt that has any signifigance - she's just demented so far she fails to understand that other things beside herself have feelings. She's almost certainly talking about hurting her feelings, rather than physical pain - she's made of metal and that isn't exactly sensitive material. But yeah, I do find the android part believable for the reasons above. I'm almost certain that was an error on GlaDOS's part.

With reference to androids in Portal, GLaDOS is talking about this:

portalandroid.jpg

After seeing that on the clip-board, I did wonder why there wasn't any evidence of them laying around the Aperture complex if they failed their tests, although it looks like that particular test was carried out before the facility was abandoned.

And the morality curcuit was probably added by staff at an early stage in GLaDOS's development - if Aperture had been wiped out by her, there would be bodies everywhere. As there aren't, its a little more likely that the facility was emptied when the Combine began to invade, although how those buggers managed to miss Aperture Science, I'm not sure, but GLaDOS seems to indicate in the fight with Chell that shes been keeping them outside. After all, she is one badass AI.

For The Love Of Gods

Use The Search

(edit ps. can't submit a post with 100% caps, nifty)

With reference to androids in Portal, GLaDOS is talking about this:

portalandroid.jpg

After seeing that on the clip-board, I did wonder why there wasn't any evidence of them laying around the Aperture complex if they failed their tests, although it looks like that particular test was carried out before the facility was abandoned.

And the morality curcuit was probably added by staff at an early stage in GLaDOS's development - if Aperture had been wiped out by her, there would be bodies everywhere. As there aren't, its a little more likely that the facility was emptied when the Combine began to invade, although how those buggers managed to miss Aperture Science, I'm not sure, but GLaDOS seems to indicate in the fight with Chell that shes been keeping them outside. After all, she is one badass AI.

That's a chicken skelton from the front or back :|

We must always remember that GlaDOS is is hopelessly unreliable about everything she says, but there are always some grains of truth in her talk and she actually isn't a very good liar, or that kind of impression she left to me - the little things she blurts out unexpectedly are more likely to be true than the routine test-related stuff. Based on this, I think that the whole 'android' thing is actually the truth. She wasn't supposed to say it, but the android test course made her forget herself. Again, this is just my personal gut feeling, but it felt so off compared to everything else that it raised my flags.

I don't think that any of the pictures are drawn by children [or employees. More likely I think they've been made by the previous test subjects (android or human? Anybody's guess - if you're an android then there propably isn't a whole lot of difference, psychologically) who have become increasingly deranged in the Kafkaesqe enviroment of the Enrichment Center. They're also most likely responsible for leaving all those hints for where you should be going, since they may have known or hoped that some others would come after them.

I beleive that you are indeed just a human. I think that when she says you're an android after the live-fire course, she is only saying such as to pretend that this is a course for military androids, but she's actually just trying to kill you. In other-words, there was actually never a REAL normal chamber, but she puts everyone through this "Military" course. Hence the drawings inside the wall and deranged writings, of the people who would not continue on in the course because they were scared of the turrets. Just a thought.

You know the drill guys:

...Do this or get portal'd to Samon's basement

Yeah, it sucks down there.

Is this a lame attempt at a sticky?!?!

Yes.

On a more serious note, most of the stuff we have seen in Portal is just an interesting backstory to maybe future events in HL2 no?

Iterating on this a bit:

Since there's children's drawings left on the walls (the jellyfish ones) it's safe to assume that GLaDOS did the toxin thing on "Bring your daughter to work" day. Which means GLaDOS killed a whole bunch of children and most of their parents. Possibly the ones who were left were so devastasted that they left those drawings as relics and installed the module. Now, while the module disallowed GLaDOS to go nuts again it most likely didn't prevent it from causing a full system lockdown which trapped the rest of the now undermanned staff inside which eventually ran out of resources while waiting for rescue. Considering how much opportunities GLaDOS gives for it I believe most of the people left behind committed suicide eventually in various pools of acid and such.

Where do the test subjects come? Assuming those stasis pods the player wakes up in do what such pods usually do which is slow down the person's metabolism drastically it's very much possible that when the place was filling up with gases some of the parents took the drastic measure of putting some of their children and maybe even themselves into those pods since they clearly have their own independent life support. This would support the thought that Chell is one of the children from that day just as the GLaDOS' rant about Chell not being even a full-time employee.

All in all, the more I think about Aperture Science's events the more horrid it seems.

yea after i beat it, it was about 3 in the morning (i had just played through all the half life games/official MODs (including uplink)) and i had nightmares that i was 1 of the previous test subjects and i was goin through it barley surving on beans and water unable to sleep out of fear GlADos would find me...:sniper::x

I personally do not wish to speculate about the whole psycotic affair. I'm going to wait till Valve tells us, and if they dont do so by the time I finish Ep3, I shall make them.

The leg implants Chell has are also very similar to the ones the Combine Assassins had in HL2 before they were cut out of the game.

I think that the module was installed by the guy who left the hints, writings and all the stuff which helps you to get to GLaDOS at the end of the game (an accident survivor or an escaping test subject). And there is no trace of him in the last room which might mean that he managed to install the module and then got killed by GLaDOS.
PS Where to continue the discution of AperatureScience.com?

I think that the module was installed by the guy who left the hints, writings and all the stuff which helps you to get to GLaDOS at the end of the game (an accident survivor or an escaping test subject). And there is no trace of him in the last room which might mean that he managed to install the module and then got killed by GLaDOS.
PS Where to continue the discution of AperatureScience.com?

i dont know where it is but i found one think out about aperture webpage - apply.exe, remember, why the code changes and doesnt accept? well type "thecakeisalie" in the thing. press any key besides escape. something shold pop up. like a reciept. in the top-left corner is (L). below, TOTAL: 976,076.49. i bet thats what it meant by uid(+L). i guess you type in the total instead. :cheers: :bounce: :sniper:

i seem to be the only one who notices the main chink in the theroy that GLaDOS gassed the Aperture facility.

GlaDOS dosent have arms, or drones, so if she gassed them, how did she dispose of the bodys? why is there no sign of resistance? anyway, she only 1ce gassed the ENRICHMENT CENTER, not the whole facility, so, even if she did gas them, people from the rest of the facility would have contained her, and the gas.

its apparent that the facility was maybe evacuated long ago, if u look at ANY of the props (espicialoly the floor buttons), you'l notice that that the paint is developing hairline fractures, and is even pealing.

also, the quote, "you must be the pride of, subject town here" that many have been mistaking as GLaDOS being sarcastic, is really a show of how the faciity has continued post evcuation, with no people, theres no1 to program the test subject info into GLaDOS's memory, although she has access to ur subject files, hinting that uve been there a LONG time, even though ur the 234 test subject

oh yea, 2 last things, one of the test subjects was a chicken, and the clipboardm has a large FAILED stamp across it, get it, it failed, and it was a chicken, ah, hidden humor
and 2, chell has scars behind her ears sugesting brain surgery

Yea well if you noticed in the applying thing you do for aperture science it much applies to chell if you haven't notice

And the turrets only had a personality cause aperture desinged them to have them and it even says in the developers commentary I forgot what test chamber it says I think it says on the turret chamber

I just want to re-iterate that Chell is not an android.

She said that because the stage was configured for the android turrets. Keep in mind that the androids seemed to have their own AI personality, so its not unreasonable to have congratulation messages at the end of their successful stages.

I was referring to this by the way and ExugoAreo saying on brain surgery furthers the thought of chell applying on aperturescience.com

Well...guess what?

Bruce Willis is a ghost. He's been dead the whole time.

Hey, you silly guys!:) You didn't understand ..

What GLaDOS says IS a lie, like even SHE said, it's reverse psychology. If u're sensitive enough, you can hear it veeery clear:)

So:

1. NO , there is no morality core... lol

she it made up so you don't continue what u were doing (tearing her to pieces, and throwing them into a fire !) Logic is simple: make u think u did smth wrong so u stop doing it and try to reverse it, but as soon as u do that, you realise there's no turning back, (again like she said..). and continue what u were doing in the first place.
I don't imagine how anyone could believe that was a morality core since it looks like all the other pieces of her... but in different colour..:)

2. YES, she is android... with some organic implants

GLaDOS lies only to test you, like she says in the song, it was all a test, she is alive , and very proud of you! If you put the pieces toghether it's easy to see where she was going with all her lies: pointing you exactly in the right direction !
So when saying you're android, you can tell she is saying the TRUTH!
If u remember at one point she says "as part of the test protocol, we will start ENHACING the truth in 3, 2, 1...." She even warns about lieing, because in fact she wants you to succeed, and points very clearely we should take care what we believe and don't :) In conclusion some parts are true, the ones inserted carefully as mearely suggestions, and some are fake : the scary ones ofcourse, made to test you!

3. The drawings were made by other test subjects

I say this because of the secret room in the level where you first meet the cube, and all of the writings are true, just made to look like the delusions of a paranoid person...
I did't read all the posts on every thread about the game here, but as far as i know you didn't discover the username and password in the secret room. If anyone wishes to know it, just write me.

4. The outside world is clearely ok

as u can see after killing GLaDOS's machinery body... probably, like all big programs , GLaDOS is on a big server, not inside a silly robot, and you only killed a small computer, not the hole program!

I believe every time the android Chell dies, another test subject is released from the pod :)... after all... it's only an android! And, oh, yeah, androids r not human, flesh and bone, but they CAN feel... pain or feelings IF they have the right chips installed:)

And on the site www.aperturescience.com you can find alot of clues to the continuation of the game, also investigate the secret room(s).

I'm not sure they already know how the game will continue... maybe they made it up as they go, and they probably read the forums for our opinions and wishes too....
My WISH about the game is that they make it less creepy ... As in the Take a Wish Fundation .. sick children... that's just.. SAD! :( I love the cube, mostly because it was suggested lol... but i didn't hesitate to burn it when requested in the test, because i it's just a game, and just a test :) But the stuff bout the kids is really f****d up!

Portal test subjects and aperture employees not all women.

Some rumors went out concerning the gender of all the people in aperture...up until now.
In the stage with the companion cube...i think 14? in the little room there is a picture of a rather good looking lady with a drawing of the cube pasted on the face.

video?

Hi, Just joined, read most of the posts, blah blah blah.

*possible spoilers?*

I visited www.aperturescience.com and logged in as the admin,
and typed the command 'play', and it said error, so I typed 'play portal', and it took me to youtube to watch a video that was "removed by user":frown:

anyone know what this is about?

That's the old trailer. Go read the stickied thread just below this one.

Back