Diablo III launch thread. Post your battletags.

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
Diablo III is now available to install, the servers will open at midnight PDT aka Los Angeles time--or for midwestern folks like myself, 2am [CST]. I recommend installing the game now to get a head start and grab the 1.0.1. launch patch.

Would be nice to get a band of .netters to conquer some of the more difficult content and possible play some hardcore mode.

My battletag is: Heisenberg#1898

I won't be able to get the game until my next paycheck, two weeks from now.

EDIT: Meh... blew all my reserve funds on it.

Raziaar#1124

I might mostly be playing with my brother early on though.

Installing now!!! Both my housemates just got on so hopefully will be on soon

Funnily enough, we killed Diablo in both normal and nightmare hours before it was released in the US.

Normal took 6~7 hours, Nightmare took 9. :LOL: But I'm not gonna speedrun it, I have to listen to ALL the dialogue lol.

Blizzard was brilliant to do their D3 reveal in Korea, it's really caught on there. I got to 15 and my friend fell asleep, so we're finishing Act 1 tomorrow.

Yeah, people waiting in long lines to buy the collectors edition of D3 was a surprising sight; it didn't happen for SC2 nor for ANY game before.

The line and consequently, Diablo III even made national news.

Man, every time I get some free-time to play, the servers are down. This is day 2, Blizzard.

LOTS of bnet backend to beef up. There is just no way to prepare for the international numbers hitting those poor servers. I'm surprised the warehouse(s) haven't caught fire. They're also working on services to synergize the game with SC2/WoW and make battletags a real entity.

They're doing an AWFUL job communicating using the D3 launcher and login screen. Unusual and disappointing.

Glad it's an awesome game and they're creating a solid infrastructure, though.

N9AQC.jpg

I have heard very little good about this game so far.... I'll wait until Torchlight 2

Bad things? It's just more Diablo--it's somewhat like SC to SC2 in terms of gameplay system evolution. You talking to butthurt purists and/or people who never enjoyed the franchise in the first place?

HOPE U GISE DUN FND OT I WRK FOR BLZRD

LOTS of bnet backend to beef up. There is just no way to prepare for the international numbers hitting those poor servers. I'm surprised the warehouse(s) haven't caught fire. They're also working on services to synergize the game with SC2/WoW and make battletags a real entity.

It's ****in blizzard how can they not be ready, they know full well what big launches are like.

Bad things? It's just more Diablo--it's somewhat like SC to SC2 in terms of gameplay system evolution. You talking to butthurt purists and/or people who never enjoyed the franchise in the first place?

HOPE U GISE DUN FND OT I WRK FOR BLZRD

I heard the game is very short and easy, I also hear the gear is all very samey looking.

I heard the game is very short and easy, I also hear the gear is all very samey looking.

This Blizzard White Knight just got bucked off his steed. The game is bad. No more delusions, Blizzard QA let this one slip. It barely gets its eyes to the pullup bar before it looks worse than it's predecessor. Modern Warfare games get two years of dev time and I feel progress more in fun factor than this product.

You know shit hit the fan when Bashiok eats every word and they have him put out a public apology on their behalf concerning the sad state of the game: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150106401

The Wizard and Witch Doctor start off feeling downright stupid, never played them in beta. The characters also just feel off. Demon Hunter is lady sylvannas with crossbows--Amazons were fun as hell and well animated in D2, they could have just ****ing carbon copied 'em, but instead we get a brooding Nightwish fan with a resource system that makes WoW's deathknights seem well thought out.

The male Wizard and Demon Hunter are animated oddly like Voldo, I don't relate to their haughtiness that lacks any aggressiveness or eccentricity. The loot looks even more similar than D2.

I might as well just min/max a WoW character. I hope I find a way to enjoy this game, my friends are playing it and bugging me to join. It shines in co-op but you lose some of the feeling of empowerment and a certain flavorless still pervades and makes me wish I was playing a superior co-op game.

For the first time in my gaming history I feel like I actually wasted money on a Blizzard product. Even Left 4 Dead 2 had a charming and redeeming degree of atmosphere--aside from Rochelle.

I can't deny it anymore either. It's not a very good game. It's uninspired and lacks cohesion. The characters are boring, cliched and somehow possess less personality like Stiggy said. How the **** did they **** up their most rudimentary IP? It reeks of development hell.

Nearly Duke levels of development hell. And they still managed to **** up technical aspects.

The art sucks. What the hell. The beta felt right--the SK runs were fun, there was consistency. Then Act 2 happened and I just felt weird. It's also rather racist with it's primary vendor--it lacks sophistication of even their previous titles. Did the developers just get bored here? Where's Bill Roper when you actually need his pudgy ass.

Right, I'm upset about it. First world upset. It feels a bit lazy and content slashed. The atmospheres and mobs are uninspired and animations often less interesting than D2. I feel the art team never reached a decision it goes from comic charm to contrived brooding darkness whenever it wants.

Now that it's been released I've realized the game actually does have a pretty weak aesthetic. Oh and the dialogue is abhorrent besides the pickup diaries. The storyline is going the direction of cliched anime. Oh boyoboy.

I hope I come around on it sometime but I'm 'scared' to play because I feel somewhat cheated. I didn't expect a world changer or more complexity, but a the very least a charming enough core gameplay to keep me coming. It feels like an empty MMO with this auth and trinity style combat too.

It's the weakest Blizzard release since.. Starcraft 64, and iirc that was outsourced.

Seems I was wrong about the buyout, they're getting boring or I'm growing up. Guess I'll boot up the Torch 2 beta, has more flavor.

All good things come to an end. All I wanted was more Diablo, not a diluted and confused aRPG with an aesthetic that makes me feel Blizzard's artists all quit when they had to create the 500th tier of WoW raid gear.

It's just nothing special. Not even as an extension of the concepts in D2 as I expected.

Your turn, Runic Games--show us a fun, well-ironed release of TL2 and your cheaper and more artistically sound game will be my dumb game of choice.

Talk about a flip-flop on my behalf. But this is the nature of BHC and his mental illness, hyperbole, and inability to keep quiet. Shit, talking in third person is douche'y--sorry. I'm using my posts as a blog with no proper grammar sweep again. Don't want to spam chat and get gagged.

I love you all in my manic transparency and unrelenting introspection.

Shit, I can't stop.

Also, Facebook hits NASDAQ tomorrow, it's firing some brain cylinders. What conglomerate will buy it and make shitty operating systems, phones and pimp the game API now. Hope we get a Zune type player that completely ****s up.

Has there been a major PC release recently without some sort of botched launch?

Love it so far, only been able to play little bits at a time but yeah, having fun.

^Same here.
Despite the rocky launch and the changes to the RP part of the game (ie skill selection, stats), I am having a lot of fun with it.
They've done a fantastic job of balancing simplicity and customization, allowing new players to enjoy the game (friend of mine is new to PC gaming/diablo and LOVES this game) and veterans to still play around with different builds (elective). They've also done a great job of keeping you in the action: everything is accessed within 1 or 2 mouse clicks, and the interface is simple and easy to use.
What it really comes down to is the gameplay though. With my barb, leaping straight into a huge group of enemies and seeing them explode into a mess of blood and bone is incredibly satisfying and fun!
I dunno, there seem to be a lot of people complaining about how it's "not Diablo" but I really don't know what they were expecting from a sequel released 12 years on. I personally like most of what they've done with the series, and I am looking forward to how it evolves even further (pvp, expansions).

Well I beat it, and it sucks

Too many nods to the previous games in the first Act, its even set in Tristram for stupid reasons. Act 2 was Act 2 from Diablo 2, while 3 was in the same area and felt like a remake of the expansion set. Act 4 was a new area but it wasnt exactly inspired, in fact not a single part of this game was. It feels like Blizzard hasnt made new concept art since Warcraft 3

Spoilers

Heaven was lame, short and lame like Hell from 2, and the end boss was, wait for it...... Diablo with all the same abilities he had in 2 and all of one other. Seriously, it was just like the second one except he had titties.

Plot was stupid and the angels should have been an enemy for a couple chapters just to keep it fresh but no, just rehash elements from the previous game and make it epic, dont waste your money

Got a guest pass and played through the "demo" portion and... I'm undecided. Which is the worst thing to be about Diablo 3. It seems super solid in many ways, but I can definitely see a hint of what people are alluding to with it being a bit shallow. Even so early in the game, I started to get the nagging feeling that I was just going through the motions - the same sort of sensation I used to get from WoW, except the motivation was different there. I guess it just didn't really click with me, which could be because I haven't played far enough, but it could also be because it's just kind of average.

The worst criticism I've heard levelled against it is that normal mode is a walk in the park, and that you need to get to hell difficulty before the "real game" begins or whatever. That's just lazy balancing. Even for as much as Diablo is all about replaying on harder difficulties, to experience a full play-through without once being challenged seems like something that would put me off the game altogether, before I even reached hell mode. Not to mention it would make creating additional characters a chore, especially considering normal mode accounts for the first 30 levels...

All good points, Hat. I admire your ability to play for more than a few moments--I'd sooner have a hardy round of Starcraft 64 or even Duke Nukem Forever. Also, New BHC thing: spoiler tags for my mania.

My idiotic and steadfast defense of the beta feels awkward as **** now. Like Colin Powell's fear mongering the UN with a vial of fake anthrax. Worse than Romney's voting/policy swapping, etc. God damn was I on my horse there.

Let me know if they have any more Disney-level backwards racial stereotypes--the Arab in Act 2 was just creepy. My friend from Pakistan who is a big WoW guy, that I met at Earlham before I transferred, wasn't offended--it just made him realize how ****ing dumb the whole game was. He also uninstalled, says he'll Try Mists. Even the weakest of WoW content releases look more innovative under a microscope.

How do you spend a decade doing concept/design and produce with a budget big enough to create five Lord of the Rings Movies and produce mediocre [ed. ****ing horrendous] garbage. I couldn't get past casual, I'd rather be challenged by a game that had at least one actual hook. One forward moving concept. If it's there, I'll have to read about it, because I certainly wont play to it hoping for a game changer. Does Leah pop a titty out at the end or anything?

It just looks like shit after New Tristram. Objectively bad stuff--especially gear. I feel as if they had a game built and it's hidden somewhere like under someone's neckbeard and it actually mixed it up a little bit. But I think the reality is the Blizzard has turned gradually to sleet (huehue). No really, even with possible Activision influence I can't wrap my mind around this. They still have a lot of smart and talented guys and industry leading QA. Everyone is hopefully on Titan. Not holding my breath there, I'm too psyched on advancements in Farmville 2.

On the upside, Torch 2 beta is great stuff.

**** everyone responsible for saying this was ready to launch--Ghost was more interesting and playable at Blizzcon 1. They write like children and ruined their grittiest and perhaps most interesting lore. Also the game looks like shit and actually manages to do the opposite of every damn manic little point I made in defense of the game.

I talk to ****ing much, I should campaign for Mitt Romney (gross).

But honestly--I couldn't get past Act 2. It was like Tera: booted it up and was so offended by how offensively backwards moving things are. Starcraft 2 looks and plays smoother--had flawed but tolerable SP. I think the biggest problem here is the loss of their Northern studio who knew how to independently construct something that was very Blizzard but also distanced from the stupidity of the development hell something cramped in the corner at Irvine which they knew could be a total piece of shit delivered so piss poor that after publicly apologizing and committing to make good they still had unannounced downtime.

Blizzard was an industry player that was at least pseudo-smart and received press attention, now this patchwork of what seems like a demo for an XBL game gets released to the public.

It also proves how big of a joke games journalism is scoring this game with largely 90%+ claiming they've done something to the genre. Not that games journalism had a lot of credibility to begin with. IGN refuses to score it yet, which is admirable, but the WIP seems to flip flop a lot. Don't ask why I read IGN still, it's a comfort thing.

Another one for Ebert to prove the mouth breathers who think games themselves are art wrong. This game is collectively less exciting than a slot machine with an aesthetic that begs for any sort of style but has none, and moreover actually looks outdated. The game can't really look better than something from eight years ago aside from some bad post-processing, a lot of which is forced.

What forgettable rubbish. But hey, brand loyalists will play games like Metroid: Other M and pretend the series is really maturing. Video Games in the pop sector are so ****ing stupid. There's no redeeming MP for most, either--because the co-op lacks any advancement since the era of Brood War. Bashiok is the designated CliffyB of Blizzard these days, he should **** right off. Terrible CM to ice the melting Blizzard Ice Cream cake.

Needless to say the review I constructed and edited was deleted from the official forums after about 11 pages.

I'm thoroughly offended and my childhood just ended.

Wow, I wasnt expecting to hear such bad things. Kind of sucks, you'd expect a good product from Blizzard with the kind of money they put into it.

I can understand your frustration BHC, I felt the same way after playing the Beta of Red Orchestra 2 and when the full game came out it didnt come close to the potential I saw in it during the Beta.

Lots of people hated Diablo 2 at launch, if I recall.
It took quite a while for it to develop into the cherished masterpiece that is is today.
So if you're on the fence, or you've already bought it and you can't seem to stick with it, try revisiting it again in 6-12 months...

I am getting along okay with it myself, Nightmare and Hell are far more interesting, and it sucks that you have to complete every new character on Normal before you can move onto those. That is probably my only major gripe.. beyond the server stuff.

I never played 1 or 2, but I bound the skills to qwer and I'm playing it like a really fast paced Dota. Blink into a group of enemies, suck them all right up next to me, beat the shit out of them, then blink to the ones that got thrown across the map.

Wow, I wasnt expecting to hear such bad things. Kind of sucks, you'd expect a good product from Blizzard with the kind of money they put into it.

I can understand your frustration BHC, I felt the same way after playing the Beta of Red Orchestra 2 and when the full game came out it didnt come close to the potential I saw in it during the Beta.

Good point about RO 2. Hated the tasteless overdone post processing (same complaint as D3) and poor execution of game environments/mechanics :( That was a sad flop too. Lots of glitter, very little substance. Tried to be too many things, ended up a mess.

The height of RO awesomeness was infantry based beta for me, before tripwire went commercial after winning MSU.

Good point about RO 2. Hated the tasteless overdone post processing (same complaint as D3) and poor execution of game environments/mechanics :( That was a sad flop too. Lots of glitter, very little substance. Tried to be too many things, ended up a mess.

The height of RO awesomeness was infantry based beta for me, before tripwire went commercial after winning MSU.

The developers are releasing a patch thats supposed to alter the game significantly to make it more like classic RO. Thats nice, but too little too late I think, especially with Iron Front coming out, a lot of RO players are jumping ship to that game (me included). Also the map design was probably the worst part of RO2, and I dont know if a patch is going to fix their map design philosophy.

I just watched my friend play as a Witch Doctor, and I can say that it was one thing that I found really amazing (toads, TOADS)

Anyways, I have a guest pass for D3 and Torch2 Beta, so I will be comparing them this weekend. What I don't understand is how people find replayablilty in linear hack n slash games like Diablo (as opposed to Sacred, which has an open world. And supposedly Torch 2 does as well now... according to the site)

Awesome.

RO, though, I think they patched into being pretty bad. I don't like how UE does vehicles at all. And believe it or not RO used to be about Infantry.

I started playing as a barbarian, then my character somehow disappeared from the servers. I started again as the monk and finished act 1. The monk and barbarian play exactly the same. Haven't been able to play it today as the Europe server is down.

That sucks :\ hope they get it together over there. I think I'm just about ready to uninstall until it's not a total mess though.

Back