Do you like your eyes? Do you hate bright forums but can't stay away?

"F.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better."

It's horrible. It'll make your display go pink. Can you just reduce your monitor's brightness instead?

There's adjustments on it you know. Most people seem to prefer the minimum to be set just to the right of "fluorescent."

Wow. Seems pretty sweet, thanks for sharing.

Would someone kindly post some screenshots from different times of day/night? What colors does it change? Desktop? Web browser? Video games?

Would someone kindly post some screenshots from different times of day/night? What colors does it change? Desktop? Web browser? Video games?

Well, I dunno about screenshots (they'll get taken in the screen's natural colour so the tint won't show) but it's basically bright as f**k at one end of the scale and really pinky beige at the other end. The point is that during the day you have your clear bright screen but as time goes on it goes to that warmer pinky beige colour. You set the timing by inputting your location and then it knows whether it's day or night where you are.

It colours EVERYTHING on your screen, literally, it's like having a sheet over it. But you can flick it on and off whenever you want if you need to do colour sensitive work and the like.

I have it set so that the night tint isn't like REALLY heavy but it kind of lessens the blasting at your eyes.

I really like it, being someone who is up at 2:00am right now staring at a laptop.

Best thing to do is try it. Simple to install and uninstall.

Thanks god we have this russian bloc colour scheme here to preserve our eyes.

Definitely easier on the eyes - I actually felt my forehead (probably my eyelids) relax as it fired up (it's night as I type this, so it went straight to "dim"). It's a little different than turning the brightness down, which I usually do at night.

Hmm this is weird. I have it on my laptop and of course things look different depending on viewing angle. I seem to have trouble sitting in one position, so at moments it looks normal, to really-pink, to gradient along the screen. Confuzzling.

But I'll leave it on for a few days and see if it ends up helping any.

Holy tits, I love this already.
The second I turned it on my eyes instantly relaxed.

So let me get this straight, depending on the time of day this thing changes the brightness and tonality of all the colors? I work a lot with image editing software, and to have this thing constantly change the colors would be extremely annoying. Thanks, but no thanks.

So let me get this straight, depending on the time of day this thing changes the brightness and tonality of all the colors? I work a lot with image editing software, and to have this thing constantly change the colors would be extremely annoying. Thanks, but no thanks.

You can disable it for an hour at a time to do work.

Weird question: Is this making anyone else feel more tired than normal?

My eyes have been feeling extraordinarily tired for the past few hours, and I can't tell if it's this program, or if I'm genuinely more tired than normal, or if my eyes are going bad.

I've been using it for a few days now. Really helps on the eyes.

This is actually a really good idea, thanks for sharing dude.
EDIT: This is fantastic, it's midnight, my eyes feel really relaxed, & I actually feel tired, a first for these summer holidays.

If this is helping your eyes, that seems a sign to me that your monitor needs some calibrations. People tend to jack the luminance on their LCDs waaay up, when that really is one of the worst things you can do. Invest in some good drapes for you room, set your monitor to its lowest backlight level, calibrate it at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/index.php, then while your room is dark adjust the backlight so that the display is at a comfortable viewing level. You should never have to adjust the monitor again, it should be close to ideal for most purposes.

LCDs look great in torch mode... until the eye strain sets in.

I don't know how many of you have macbooks but I keep mine on it's lowest brightness setting at all times. Max might as well be used for lighting a stage or burning ants.

Weird question: Is this making anyone else feel more tired than normal?

My eyes have been feeling extraordinarily tired for the past few hours, and I can't tell if it's this program, or if I'm genuinely more tired than normal, or if my eyes are going bad.

Bright backlights can keep you up longer when you're staring at them all night apparently. If you have this on, the warmer night colours are probably relaxing your eyes and thus your screen isn't making you stay awake longer.

So possibly the program is doing its job.

It makes my face happy.

It's a nice program, but it's options are terrible. Why I must enter a latitude and longitude instead of simply setting the hour when I want the sun to rise and the sun to set is beyond me. The sun kept setting at like 3 PM for my location, which does not make any sense. I wanted the sun to set around 12AM (the time when I try to go to bed) so I had to set it for like, Japan, but of course the sun won't rise until 2 PM...
Also, the fact that you cannot simply toggle it on and off, and are only given the option to turn it off for one hour is extremely annoying.

Well I'm not sure how much it will help me and it's day time right now but I'll check it out. Might be weird for gaming but I'm not always gaming - and I am often up late. Maybe this will make it more likely for me to turn off the lamp in my room while I'm on the computer.

Also, the fact that you cannot simply toggle it on and off, and are only given the option to turn it off for one hour is extremely annoying.
Surely you could just exit the programme and open again it when needs be?

After using it for a while now I'll say that the difference is drastic. At night I like to just have a single lamp on (facing away) and to notice the difference I just have to go to reddit.com (a goddamn bright place) and I can't even stay there for a minute longer without this program turned on.

Thanks DeathMaster. I wish YouTube had a skin support. It's painful to watch movies.

You shouldn't be using your computer with the lights in your room off. I don't (unless I'm playing a game that requires making out shapes in the dark, ie arma) and so this utility is worthless to me.

After using it for a while now I'll say that the difference is drastic. At night I like to just have a single lamp on (facing away)...
You shouldn't be using your computer with the lights in your room off. I don't (unless I'm playing a game that requires making out shapes in the dark, ie arma) and so this utility is worthless to me.
Well I don't. I just don't like overhead lights while using the PC. My monitor's best color accuracy is at a certain brightness at least and it just looks good, but certain bright forums are a serious pain, and changing the brightness manually on the monitor every night would be a huge pain. Keyboard shortcuts make life easier.

whenever i'm tired i just give myself a boner and then i'm awake again

Well at night, on ****ing forums, I don't care about color accuracy as much.

I'm with deathmaster, f.lux is ****ing fantastic to the point that I jailbroke my iphone specifically so I could have it on my iphone

Flux is the best thing that's happened to my eyes. Ever.

Back