Do you think halflife2.net will end up like...

G

Do you think the halflife2.net community will end up like the officially counter-strike.net forums or official half-life forums?

ie.: there are still question NOW going on like "How can I see my fps" omg, it's in the manual... Why are people not checking help files anymore or using the search button on the forum?

Question like "What's your favorite gun in CS" was still lame 2 years ago.... I can't believe people think they are still original with those questions.

the ofificial CS forums is just a overgrown cs forums for noobs who can't read help manuals or are to lazy to find s solution...

When halflife2 will get close, do you think alot of people will come here and growing fastly? Do you think halflife2.net will end up like the CS forums (for noobs by noobs) ?

:eek:

No, I don't think so. Mainly because Counter-Strike appeals to so many more people that they don't know it's a modification of Half-Life. Once, I mentioned Half-Life to someone and they said, knowingly, "Oh yeah, that's that Counter-Strike modification with aliens."

No, but I think there will be nonone on these forums after Sept. 30 comes around .. for a couple of weeks anyway :)

Oh ya there will be plenty of newbs come along and talk about stupid things like that. And everyone thats part of the community right now will be there to set them straight. :devil: :cheese:

Besides that was the CS community, did the general general HL community or the DoD community have the same problem?

All if not most gaming forums are like that... new members asking the same questions, which were asked and answered a dozen times. It's almost impossible to prevent, even if the answer to their question is in a FAQ, which is posted right in front of their faces. When that does happen let's not try to be arseholes about it, either answer their question or tell them to use the search button. No need to flame new members :)

This isnt the offical forums, its a fan forum, they are usually more behaved.

Ya one of the worst things you can do on any forum anywhere is flame new members. New members don't know better, it will scare them off, if it happens too often then it will stunt the growth of the community, etc...

Is there a newb guide in this forum? Anywhere? Or a FAQ even?

*EDIT* crap! that was a stupid newb question! *EDIT*

Half-Life 2 FAQ

you hurt my feelings.

JelloCube27's Self Esteem Score Gets -5 Points!
Another Sim has hurt JelloCube27's Feelings!

By the way, newbie time in gaming the best part in my opinion. I mean, you don't know anything, don't need to worry about anything and you just enjoy gaming.

No.. I'm a gamer of 5 years and have been modding HL since it was out, actually.

I'm just a forum newb.

urseus
Ant Lion

This isnt the offical forums, its a fan forum, they are usually more behaved.

Have you acctualy seen the official forums ...They are totaly crap same as the Irc chan ..this is by far the best place to be...!

Originally posted by sharp
sharp
Headcrab

When halflife2 will get close, do you think alot of people will come here and growing fastly? Do you think halflife2.net will end up like the CS forums (for noobs by noobs) ?

Personally I think as long as there are ppl like the ones around at the moment... it will all be ok!! :p
awwwwww

/me shouts "Group hug!"

:)
(the big irony here is that you yourself are a newbie :p)

If we have strict rules (for spaming, bumping, chating, ect) and good moderators that follow these rules, then it will be great.

All the n00bs or whatever they are called cant take strict forums so they will be leaving....and we staying....simple as that :)

Define noob/newbie/nub?

yes a newbie is just someone who has to learn the game. But if they are playing a game over 2 years for now and still have less skill or bad score... alot of people call them noobs...

Even in the '1337' gaming world it's just a must to type you clan tag like a^z0r or [a.z0r] for example...

And yes there are forum noobs... but I am not giving my social life away for a game that even yet out but will blows us away. :)

And I would like to give mrBadger a leet diploma :)

leetspeak_17.jpg

:cheers:

cheers..... i think.... I for one hate so-called leet speak.... :flame:

nice pic tho, tis funny :p

Originally posted by Draklyne
Once, I mentioned Half-Life to someone and they said, knowingly, "Oh yeah, that's that Counter-Strike modification with aliens."

I would have hit the guy on the nose if he said something like that to me. damn counterstrike n00bs

No really, im not a n00b.
*Cries and runs off to his room again

nah, as long as you don't ask stupid qs we won't flame you.... nah we won't flame you anyway.... :E

/me puts jellocube27 in "anti-flame protect" mode

I don't see why people are ridiculed for being new to something. The fact that they are new, exempts them from being laughed at really. It seems to be throughout the whole of society though. When someone is new they are treated like dirt until they have proven themselves. Strange really. In some ways i understand it but in other i think its just weird.

Originally posted by sharp
Do you think the halflife2.net community will end up like the officially counter-strike.net forums or official half-life forums?

ie.: there are still question NOW going on like "How can I see my fps" omg, it's in the manual... Why are people not checking help files anymore or using the search button on the forum?

Question like "What's your favorite gun in CS" was still lame 2 years ago.... I can't believe people think they are still original with those questions.

hey pal, if you think those questions are stupid. How about the ones that roam around these forums: "STRIDER? robot or alien?", "Why does Gordon have to wear that suit?", "Does HL2 use directX9?", "Who are combine soldiers?".

Not only are these questions stupid, but no one can answer them and the person who starts these threads knows that. So why bother? Why is everyone interested in hearing random speculatory guessing from people who would not know any better than you yourself. Oh and that 'Why does Gordon have to wear that suit?' thread is just plain waste of space. Not only does it say in the manual of HL1 but DURING THE GAME it says it's help reduce risk of radiation and prevent serious bodily harm from eviornmental hazards.

The only descent thread I've seen on these entire forums was that "HL2 to linux petition" thread. I liked that one, it atleast had a PURPOSE for gods sake. Again, im not flaming just trying to make a point.

Back