Doctor Who series 6: "prequel" teaser is online

Half expected a "not available outside of the United Kingdom" message :p

Looks interesting. Does the president of the US have a phone for calling the Doctor too then?

I love how given a minute of video, Doctor Who still manages to be that little bit too far beyond profound. 'There are no monsters in the White House! Except NIXON'S BAAACCK!!!'.

Proper looking forward to this anyway.

Moffat's good at thinking up scary creatures, but what I've learned from past experience (e.g. his attempt at head-writing), his actual stories leave much to be desired from proper scripting. That's why this trailer looks good, but I doubt it'll stand up to my even mediocre expectations of this kind of British writing.
And yes, I am otherwise a fan of Moffat (mostly Coupling). He has it in him to be a good writer, it just isn't coming across.

i don't know if i said this already, but benedict cumberbatch and martin freeman were the best doctor and companion that doctor who never had in the recent sherlock series. seriously, the chemistry, interaction and writing between them two is incredible. it's a shame it just isn't the same with this.

nevertheless, looking forward to it all the same.

Well there I was about to post how excited I am about the new series (the last one had few enough pitfalls and bullshit to make me into a proper fanboy) and now Sladen goes and ruins my entire post by dying. It's very sad.

Aw, that sucks.
I recall seeing her with Tennant in a few eps, she's the one with that robot dog right?

Aw, that sucks.
I recall seeing her with Tennant in a few eps, she's the one with that robot dog right?

Yep. She's the longest-running companion. She was also with the third and the fourth doctor a long time ago.

Oh wow. First episode was...different. So many questions.
So I'm guessing the Doctor being killed thing isn't going to be resolved to the end of the series but I found something much more interesting; The evil Tardis is back! I did not expect that to be in the first episode. The aliens are interesting too. I guess the evil Tardis(es?) are belongs to them. They're a bit like a cross between Greys and They Live it seems. I thought they were just going to be an opening episode thing but the evil Tardis makes me wonder if they'll be a season spanning thing. It seems important. Also, the alien dude killing the woman in the bathroom was entirely pointless. Was it just to make sure we knew they were evil or something?

Also, I knew something was strange about the Doctor at the start: He clearly liked River. He's always been hugely suspicious of her up until now. I guess two hundred years will do that to a relationship. I think River's "I think it'll kill me thing" was a bit too...I don't know...was it supposed to be a joke? Seems a bit tasteless.

Also, anyone pick up on the fact that one of the credits was for "The Silent"? Are the aliens called the silent? If so they'll definitely be a season spanning thing if they were the ones behind the cracks. Also anyone pick up on the BBC guy mentioning silence will fall during the credits?

Can't wait for the next one!

Also, in "The Lodger" where the evil TARDIS appeared, there are a couple odd scenes with Amy in the malfunctioning TARDIS where she seems to sense a shadow/presence along with her in the TARDIS but when she looks around, it's gone. Does this imply that the Silent were actually not only the cause behind the TARDIS malfunction, but also inside the TARDIS this whole time?

Also, in "The Lodger" where the evil TARDIS appeared, there are a couple odd scenes with Amy in the malfunctioning TARDIS where she seems to sense a shadow/presence along with her in the TARDIS but when she looks around, it's gone. Does this imply that the Silent were actually not only the cause behind the TARDIS malfunction, but also inside the TARDIS this whole time?
Maybe they steal the Tardis? Maybe the reason dead Doctor is 200 years older is he got stranded in the 1800s (first scene of the episode) and had to go the slow way back to the 21st centuary.

'evil tardis'? What is this I don't --- - All this clever plotting is far too complicated for me to keep track of; there's no way I would have remembered the indication of Silence in the TARDIS that Jerry mentions (Amy sensing a presence) and I remember being flabbergasted last season by the fact that the doctor having no jacket when he comes back to open Amy's eyes in the second Angels episode was actually plot-significant and not just them overanalysing. I can't keep up.
Cool episode though. Very pacey, passed so quickly I was surprised by its ending at all. Few questions answered either.

'evil tardis'?
In the Lodger (the one where the Doctor plays football) there is a spaceship that is forcing humans to try and pilot it but killing them in the process. The Doctor refers to it as being someone's attempt at building a Tardis. It has the same interior as seen in the thing River and Rory find.

Ohh, that's very true! I knew it looked familiar. The plot thickens.

Those alien dudes reminded me a bit of The Gentlemen from that awesome Buffy episode :)

Well, that succeeded in scrambling my ****ing head!

That was bleedin' mental.

I hope the doctor really did knock Amy up and there isn't some excuse for it.

The Tardis gets inside your head AND your fetus! Kinda sick of the companion falling for the doctor every single bloody time, I was really hoping the Amy/Rory combo had brought back the old school dynamic of the doctor being a weird old man that people follow around, still hoping though.

Yep that really did mess with my head, overall it was alright.

but why more time lords? why a pregnancy? why the companion falling for the doctor again?

Am I the only one who thought it was a hugely disappointing second episode? I kinda expect bad writing from the new (Moffat) series of Dr Who, but it's still silly that plenty of other shows manage to keep a plot from feeling forced.
Like the whole thing with Amy's hand-recorder device; there's no conceivable reason that they took extra time to extract the recorder from her hand AND leave it at the scene, except to lead the Doctor to their exact location to kill all of them and ruin their plan.
And don't get me started on the whole recorder device in general. If it somehow manages to telepathically send Amy's speech after it got extracted, what's the point of implanting it in their hand anyway? I mean I know it was so they wouldn't lose it (though implanting it on the OUTSIDE of the hand would make more sense if they didn't want them to forget to check it), but the security of it being implanted is useless if it can be extracted so easily anyway.

Le sigh. It's like Moffat has a big board of 'series plot twists to include in each episode to create the feeling of a grander overall-arc', but as a result he completely skips the actual meat of the episode-to-episode plots that make as much a difference on a large scale. For example, last series he basically used the 'important stuff that you won't understand but the doctor does' explanation as a twist to delete the Weeping Angels from Whostory (that's Who History, yes I did just coin that); This episode wasn't bad with
Armstrong's foot being mentioned, and actually having a reason to be
but I have a feeling that it's just because he had a substantially long time to work on the fine details of the episode, something which won't be afforded to him for the rest of the season.

Anyway, rant over. I just think that as a show, this is pretty much lowest-common-denominator (as bad as Merlin), and even mediocre American shows seem to have more plot cohesion. This fact makes me shudder, that Moffat is seemingly the best we can do, and people who love Doctor Who have apparently settled for him.

I'd have to agree dekstar, it was pretty rubbish to be honest and I think the reason my head was so confumbled throughout was because none of it actually made any sense,

I mean they are settling with her being pregnant now, to me that's just the ultimate cop out. Can't think of anything more interesting so SHOCK HORROR SHE IS PREGANT

Its just terribly shoddy writing at the end of the day, I don't really care for the show anymore which is a big shame :/

Maybe I'm just more little detail oriented, but it didn't really seem confusing to me. I mean it was crazy at first but over the course of the episodes everything fell into place.
Amy being pregnant has been foreshadowed since last series; it's not a huge shock. The hand recorder thing was dumb though. They could have easily fixed that plot element by making the speaker handheld so that when Amy was abducted by the Silence she could have just dropped it.
I must say, I actually prefer Moffat's writing to Davies'. It does tend to follow some specific tropes, but it always delivers them in a clever and unique way.

Waaaay too much flip-flopping between storylines/hints.

Oh, I'm pregnant. No just kidding I'm not. BUT I ACTUALLY AM. Oh fooled you again. Jokes on you we had a time baby!

It's like a bad soap opera.

Yep that really did mess with my head, overall it was alright.

but why more time lords? why a pregnancy? why the companion falling for the doctor again?
Wait what? Amy falling for the Doctor happened last season and in this episode it showed her choosing Rory over the Doctor (again). I don't know where you're getting this from.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed that episode. It wasn't hard to follow and it was ****ing cool. I agree that the hand recorder thing was a bit contrived but much less so than say how RTD resolved most of his plots. Also, the pregnancy thing is supposed to be ****ing contrived because the Silence are messing with people's heads about it. CRAZY THEORIES TIME:
Knowledge of the Silence fades over time if you're not reminded. Notice how everyone forgot about the little girl as the episode went on? Notice how they forget to try to save her? Notice how Amy can't remember seeing the photos or the room? (they even do a big flashy thing to point this out to us)

The girl is part Silence part Time Lord. She doesn't erase herself straight away like the actual Silence do but they all forget about her over time. She is the Silence's master plan. Possibly she was what was piloting the TARDIS when it exploded during the Big Bang but maybe this is a different plan. In any case she has the Silence's ability to make people forget about her and it seems it worked on all of you because you totally forgot about her in all your bitching about PREGNANT.
Also.

I can't believe people are bitching more about plot holes and narrative magic in Moffat's plots than they ever did in Davies'.

You're focusing on this now that it happens a lot less?

I can't believe people are bitching more about plot holes and narrative magic in Moffat's plots than they ever did in Davies'.

You're focusing on this now that it happens a lot less?
That this happens at all is not really excusable as being 'not as bad'. I only really started watching Dr Who's new series at the Matt Smith beginning. I saw Blink (an episode I actually enjoyed) and some random Tennant episodes which I didn't particularly like which caused me to stop watching completely, including the end of Tennant's era.

Yes, I could theoretically go back and watch all the Tennant episodes and gripe about them, but I'd really rather not as there are far better things to watch. My point is that even if something ridiculous/downright terrible writing-wise is done less, doesn't make it excusable. More people should proof-read Moffat's scripts before they're filmed.

Wait what? Amy falling for the Doctor happened last season and in this episode it showed her choosing Rory over the Doctor (again). I don't know where you're getting this from.

I was basing it off the idea that the little girl was a time lord and that if Amy was pregnant it must have been hers and the Doctors child, the entire thing is insane either way to be honest.

Knowledge of the Silence fades over time if you're not reminded. Notice how everyone forgot about the little girl as the episode went on? Notice how they forget to try to save her? Notice how Amy can't remember seeing the photos or the room? (they even do a big flashy thing to point this out to us)

The girl is part Silence part Time Lord. She doesn't erase herself straight away like the actual Silence do but they all forget about her over time. She is the Silence's master plan. Possibly she was what was piloting the TARDIS when it exploded during the Big Bang but maybe this is a different plan. In any case she has the Silence's ability to make people forget about her and it seems it worked on all of you because you totally forgot about her in all your bitching about PREGNANT.

What?

Anyway at the end of the day I just didn't find the episode enjoyable, and its not because it was kinda complicated in parts, but because it just didn't grip me at all, the episode didn't have any flow to it.

I was basing it off the idea that the little girl was a time lord and that if Amy was pregnant it must have been hers and the Doctors child, the entire thing is insane either way to be honest.

Well,
Amy was actually concerned during the episode that spending time in the TARDIS might have actually had an affect on the unborn baby, giving it a 'magic head'. It could be theorised that a timelord-esque child could be conceived just by spending most of your pregnancy travelling in the TARDIS.
But yeah it was higgledy-piggledy.

I thought this week's episode was rather 'meh'. Bit of a Father's Day/Empty Child kind of twist but not as good.

Preview makes next week look interesting though... Omega? Or hmm, episode called "The Doctor's Wife", perhaps not. Still, it's the Gaiman episode so it should be awesome.

Anyone else think for a moment that
the TARDIS was actually gone and that's why the Doctor was 200 years older in the intro episode, ie, he'd gone the slow way back to the present?

Also STOP DYING RORY FOR **** SAKE.

Anyone else think for a moment that
the TARDIS was actually gone and that's why the Doctor was 200 years older in the intro episode, ie, he'd gone the slow way back to the present?

Also STOP DYING RORY FOR **** SAKE.

That's very possible. The brief activities we saw him do were in historical chronological order.

YW0PU.jpg

He just never stops.

That's the quality that episodes should be written with.

Back