Doctor Who series 6: "prequel" teaser is online

Did anyone else find the acting in the latest episode to be a bit too stiff? I get the feeling there might have been problems with the directing.
lSibD.png

"Mid series finale"

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

Previous series have held their continuity together by flashing words up at you once an episode for an entire series. That was Bullshit.

And the mid-series was always a bunch of monster of the week crap that made you wonder when it was all going to pick up. Splitting it up makes the lulls shorter, even if it doesn't get rid of them entirely.

I like the monster of the week crap. Some one the best episodes have been monster of the week. The Doctor Dances, Midnight, Father's Day.

I for one will declare that the past two episodes were very good and they completely rekindled my interest in the series. They really need to use Mathew Graham more often, I mean the guy co-created Life on Mars for crying out loud, why the hell isn't he doing more episodes?

I for one will declare that the past two episodes were very good and they completely rekindled my interest in the series. They really need to use Mathew Graham more often, I mean the guy co-created Life on Mars for crying out loud, why the hell isn't he doing more episodes?
Because the first one he wrote turned out to be one of the worse episodes ever (Fear Her).

Because the first one he wrote turned out to be one of the worse episodes ever (Fear Her).

Well he's obviously come a long way since then, considering the last two episodes shit on the entire season and most of the episodes in the last season.

To each their own, but I for one thought the last 2 episodes were terrible. I loved the first two episodes in this season.

I don't at all understand people's affection for the 'flesh' episodes. They were alright, but ill-paced and overlong with serious Idiot Plots.

Ok random thoughts:
1) I think the reason Amy left behind her hand implant think when she disappeared in the second episode is because they didn't actually kidnap her, they just melted her ganger.
2) Following on from that, I think we're definitely going to see the Silence again. They must have had something to do with Amy's gangerization.
2b) The Silence Will Fall voice and what exactly caused the TARDIS to explodinate still hasn't been addressed.
2c) The Doctor's lost two hundred years still need addressing too. Perhaps Melody steals the TARDIS?
2d) I think we're going to see the forests of Gamma in the second half of the series
3) River can regenerate. That'll come in handy if they want to change the actress. Always good for a long-term character (I rather hope River becomes a more permanent companion) in case Alex Kingston decides she's had her fill.
4) I wonder will we be seeing the Doctor be a little less genocidey now. His anger has caught up with him in a big way. They could focus the Doctor on being more kind and distil his more badass fearsome side into River.
5) Let's Kill Hitler is a goddamn awesome name for an episode :D

Doctor Who series six and a half teaser is online

Trailer for the second half of the season, first episode airs August 27th in the states, no official date for the UK AFAIK.

Highlights:
Return of:
  • Madam Kovarian
  • The Silence
  • Cybermen
  • The guy from the episode from series five with the evil Tardis/Silence ship)
  • The Weeping Angels
  • Churchill

Several new creatures/characters including Hitler.

River Song and some new weird meltyface Viking Dude wearing Madam Kovarian's eyepatch (but on the other eye).

Highlight:

"Hitler: You've just saved my life."
"Everyone: D:"

Anyone have any idea when this starts again? I heard the US air date is August 27th but the UK usually get it earlier.

I don't the UK airdate has been announced yet.

Doctor Who series 6, episode 8 prequel teaser is online

Prequel teaser for Let's Kill Hitler:

Airs in the US on the 27th. Still not sure when it airs over here.

I'm most of the way through Season 2, and so far I'm honestly not seeing the appeal. So far I feel like it's entertaining, but not a good show, like 98% of the time. There have been a few episodes that I've liked, and very few that I've loved.

The Long Game (1x07) might have made me laugh the hardest, but that's just because I love Simon Pegg. Father's Day (1x08), The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances (1x09-1x10), Tooth and Claw (2x02), and The Girl in the Fireplace (2x04) were all decent, and had at least some things that I liked, but still felt a bit lacking in other respects.

My favourites so far have been Dalek (1x06) and The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit (2x08-2x09).

The basic thing about Doctor Who is that when you sit down to watch an episode you enter an exciting lottery in which there is an equal chance of brilliance or complete horseshit.

The basic thing about Doctor Who is that when you sit down to watch an episode you enter an exciting lottery in which there is an equal chance of brilliance or complete horseshit.

So far it seems much less than equal. In fact, it seems more like the actual lottery, where you have a pretty damn slim chance of winning at all.

I think it's more like 10% brilliant, 15-20% horseshit and the remainder average that provides entertainment without being extraordinary. I've made kind of a game of mocking the more cheesy aspects. Favourite things to do is to shout things like "Oh no he's pulled the more-drama lever!" (Seriously watch out for the more-drama lever next time, it shows up far too often)

Alright, alright, so it's true we can probably provide a more equal quality probability scale for pre-Moffat Doctor Who episodes:

10% - brilliant
15% - good but flawed
30% - tolerably average
25% - average and tosh
20% - absolute horseshit

Once upon a time an American staying in my house sat down with the family to watch Doctor Who. It was the Russell T Davies finale. At first we sort of tried to apologise for its quality by announcing loudly "oh, for god's sake!" and "this is rubbish!", the subtext being, "yes, we know, we know, don't worry." It soon became clear we'd forgotten that for anyone not familiar with Doctor Who, this just seemed like an utterly rubbish sci-fi show with no redeeming features and no clear appeal. For much of Britain, it's very different: a national institution to be entertained with forbearance, whose foibles and flaws are tolerated with gritted teeth in recognition of its occasional successes, and which in any case is often more important to people as an object of discussion and idle gossip than anything else. Basically, it's like the royal family.

10% - brilliant
15% - good but flawed
30% - tolerably average
25% - average and tosh
20% - absolute horseshit

That's a fair assessment, and I think it's still valid even now.

As for the rest of your post I perfectly understand. Up until 2 years ago I had barely seen an episode or two of Doctor who and thought it was absolute garbage, and couldn't understand why so many people liked it. That is until I really gave it a chance and watched 5-6 episodes, and then I was hooked. It's definitely one of the most bizarre sci-fi/fantasy shows out there. The only other sci-fi tv show that I know of, that also has equal parts brilliance and ridiculous garbage has to be Farscape.

Dodds, those percentages actually do feel pretty accurate, though I think I'd say 5% brilliant, 20% good but flawed. Though again, I'm still in Season 2, so it has time to improve.

The only other sci-fi tv show that I know of, that also has equal parts brilliance and ridiculous garbage has to be Farscape.

That's fair, FarScape does have a lot of trash to it. I've really wanted to sit down and watch it with the girlfriend, because parts of seasons 3 and 4 are among my favourites in television. Scorpius is easily one of my most-loved villains, but there's so much garbage to sift through that I haven't been able to force myself to sit down for it.

Seasons 1 and 3 have the most top-quality episodes imo. The fourth was really quite poor.

I also found the Rose and Martha love subplots pretty much horrible too and really put a damper on season 3 for me. I've been watching a few of them again and they're really not as bad as I thought they were but jesus christ unrequited love so sad omg poor martha subplot made me cringe. That's why I loved catherine tate so much as a companion; there was zero needless sexual tension.

Tate was just ****ing annoying though. Martha at least wasn't completely useless as a companion, she actually had some occasionally applicable skills.

Lithhhhp. She's even worse than 'Mumbles' Rose.

Oh, and her attitude.

Ok, then I'll be the one that didn't have a problem with any of the companions or the sexual tension.

Sexual tension with Amy Pond = gold.

Otherwise Martha was the best companion.

Martha was a fantastic companion. The "Oh I love the Doctor and he doesn't even notice me" bit definitely did bother me, but she was amazing aside from that. Season 3 in general was pretty great, though I called much of the finale ahead of time, aside from the glaringly huge Deus Ex Machina, which was just a total bummer.

Two episodes into Season 4 and I already want to throw Donna/Tate out of the Tardis while it's in mid-flight. I expect to dislike the show throughout most of its remaining run, actually. Matt Smith always seems to have a ****ing derp face in every single shot I see of him.

The new season is really interesting though. It's steadily become a show in which A) the plot is really important between episodes and B) there are about eighty plot revolutions per minute. In retrospect Moffat's first season was clearly him going cautiously and sounding out what could work before just going mental with this one.

Earlier I talked about varying quality percentages. But in Smith/Moffat Season 1, there are more stand-out episodes along with the crap, and this new season (split into two) has gone quite far towards vanquishing the tradition of the 'duff episode'. It really is overall better than it used to be.

Are you joking? I don't even think Moffat knows where his overarching plotline is going, or even what it means. The entire thing is just a mess, and even if I was to get the jist of just what was going on, I don't think I'd care. Yesterday's episode, was boring and dumb, its just not Doctor Who anymore, they need a serious overhaul in the writing and just general directing.

Yeah, we need more Davies overarching plotlines. i.e. DALEKS EVERY FOUR EPISODES

To be honest, as much as I hate the Daleks now for being so overused, I'd easily take Daleks every four episodes over the crap we are given now. At least those episodes made some kind of sense.

Shift I was under the impression you had realised you were not wanted and left. Pray tell why are you still here?

Disclaimer: Doctor Who is shit.

Well I guess I can't stay away.. don't worry I won't be posting as often.

Thoughts on Let's Kill Hitler:
I have mixed feelings about this. For the most parts it was good but some things disappoint me. Everyone seemed a bit too detached. There was a lot of emotion at the end of a Good Man Goes to War but it seems to have evaporated. Surely Amy and Rory should be more distressed? Everyone seemed a bit understated over the whole lost child thing by the time this episode rolls around. Would have loved to see a bit more emotion over it. Matt Smith did a great performance when the Doctor was dying, but other than that there just seemed to be a general lack of emotion over the situation.

Mels being River wasn't really a shock and I'm not sure whether that was meant to be surprising or not but it all ended much sooner than I expected. I thought (and hoped) that brainwashed Melody trying to hunt and kill the Doctor being the plot for the remaining half of the series. I mean, the Silence's plan for the last season involved hijacking the TARDIS and destroying all of reality and the Alliance's plan to prevent this by building the Pandorica and a legend around it and luring the Doctor in with fake Romans and Rory and it was all pretty darn cool.

I know the series isn't over and we haven't seen the last of the Silence but their plan seems to have just gone away pretty quickly. We learn that they're raising Melody as a weapon to kill the Doctor, then she succeeds and is fixed through the power of love in the very next episode. Falls a bit flat doesn't it?

I know the record still says River killed him in Utah so at least the record believe that she's the Impossible Astronaut (even though she seemed as shocked as everyone else when he was shot) so we're not done here, but even so I think this was fixed too quickly.

Also pretty disappointed that Mels regenerated into the River we know. I was hoping that River being a time lady would mean we could have her change actress at some point and continue on long-term with the Doctor but oh well that's not too bad. Speaking of regeneration, River's ones seem pretty messed up. She regenerates into a toddler and then from a teenager into a mature woman. Is it because she's not a full timelord or because she regenerated too young or what? I guess we'll probably never find out.

Also the last season seemed very well planned out with everything wrapping up in a crazyawesome way but looked like it had all been planned in advance. This is the first time an episode has made me question Moffat's writing. Mels in particular. Should she not have been mentioned earlier? Seriously Amy's best friend who she named her daughter after and she just never happened to show up before or even be mentioned (especially when there must be so many crazy stories to relate about her). They could have mentioned Amy naming Melody after someone before or anything at all. This kind of crazy plot turn reminds me of Davies' run more than Moffat's style.

And so did River never spend any time in the Gamma Forests to get her name then? She only goes by River because that's the name the Doctor told her because she was called that when the Doctor met her? I don't mind timey-whimey explanations but please don't hint at a background involving the Gamma Forests and then not deliver. I do hope that the rest of the series makes everything I said sound completely stupid by actually bringing things together properly.

In order to finish this on a positive note though I must say that Rory was awesome.

Also:
nXO7J.jpg

Back