Doom3=94%, what does this mean for HL2?(review wise)

brink's

Reaction score
With PC Gamer awarding Doom3 with a 94%( or so were told), what does this mean for HL2 review wise? Many would agree the only reason Far Cry got such solid 90+ reviews was because of its incredible graphics and was the first half decent fps to come out for awhile. With that said do you think reviewers will be harder on HL2 then they were Far Cry, just cause it has 2 next gen games to compare it to.

I know in the long run it doesn't matter, but its just a thought.

Discuss :)

You can post what you think it will get, but id also like you to comment on whether you think it be reviewed differently ( harder)then D3 and Far Cry cause its a little late.

Half Life 2 I suspect will recieve that same score as DIII...

Six Three said:
Half Life 2 I suspect will recieve that same score as DIII...
Depends on a bunch of things.. namely, what and how good is the multiplayer; when it comes out, just plain how good it is and who is reviewing it.

I expect HL2 to get between a 90-96.

i think HL2 may get up to 97/98, then again i could be being highly optimistic

Anywhere from ninety four (94) to eleventy one (111) percent...

I have seen some real crappy games get 94% in PC magazines... no idea why..

Anywho, I suspect that mags will do some king of gimmick with HL2 where they give it 110% or something ;)

Because lets face it, it deserves more than 6 points more than Doom III ;)

hehe

95%

I would have given it a 91% myself, but it was an excellent game.

I happen to be a games journalist myself and while I'm going to be writing up a CS: Source preview, I have sworn to not allow myself to actually review (and particularly not give a number score to) anything based on the Source engine - at least nothing by Valve. Too much of a fanboy! However I'm sure it will do fine in the review circuit. Based on everything we've seen so far (and particularly if they fix the huge load time bug) I can see the press loving this.

Wow, so Far-Cry is better than Doom according to these percentages?

Luckily I don't believe in these things at all, as I said earlier, otherwise I would be really disappointed.

Tbh I didn't think Far-Cry deserved 95% at all... it wasn't even as good as the original Half-Life, and this is 6 years later!

Crusader said:
Tbh I didn't think Far-Cry deserved 95% at all... it wasn't even as good as the original Half-Life, and this is 6 years later!
IMO no games are.

brink's said:
IMO no games are.

I've had more fun and more hours of gaming on StarCraft than HL and all of its mods combined

So therefore, I seriously vote StarCraft as the best game ever made in my books

Crusader said:
Wow, so Far-Cry is better than Doom according to these percentages?

Luckily I don't believe in these things at all, as I said earlier, otherwise I would be really disappointed.

Well the fact is any review has an element of opinion to it. That is why Alpha Centauri got the highest rating ever from PCG USA.

Shuzer said:
I've had more fun and more hours of gaming on StarCraft than HL and all of its mods combined

So therefore, I seriously vote StarCraft as the best game ever made in my books
Theres no easy way to put this Shuzer

YOUR WRONG ;) :)

brink's said:
Theres no easy way to put this Shuzer

YOUR WRONG ;) :)

Well, the correct way would be to say "you're wrong.." :p

Have started to notice that the American version of PCGamer does give somewhat oversized scores to othererwise good, but not amazing games. So much so I'm expecting them to award HL2. 98%

wow, all this waiting is starting to mess with our heads. why are we talking about what 90-something percentage pc gamer will give hl2?

If you ask me, the number or percentage is mostly a measure of how polished the game is; are there outstanding bugs? are sound/graphics good? etc. The stuff that really make me decide if a game is good or not is the game design; looking at how the game was built and the unique or fun ideas in it.

Well, I would have to say that hl2 would get 100%, I am serious. The game looks amazing. The physics, shading, lighting, I mean, geez. Doom 3 has never shown me why I should say it would be up to par with hl2. But I am not saying it sucks, I will get it. :)

The thing that bugs me about FarCry getting a 95% is that nothing is unique or extremely polished (things you would expect at 95%) except, arguably, the island terrain/water. The AI is rather buggy, the voice acting and one-liners literally made me cringe, some of the character models look just plain butt ugly, and the plot sounds like it was part of a middle school contest to write a cheesy sci-fi story.

As far as I'm concerned, that game is not good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Doom 3 or Half-Life 2... unless "the crap that is" immediately precedes it.

I wouldn't cry over review scores. To play on Blackie's Weather Forecast: I's goun rock!

'nuff said..

Well, Far Cry got 9.2 from Gamespot, who to me, are the most reliable reviewers i know. So i'd say Doom 3 will probably get something like.....9.4 or 9.5 from Gamespot. Simply because theres going to be 10 times as much atmosphere as Far Cry in the first few levels of Doom 3

jimbones said:
I wouldn't cry over review scores. To play on Blackie's Weather Forecast: I's goun rock!

'nuff said..

ROFL Family GUy... good times :LOL::LOL::LOL:

People, let's face it, if a HL2 fan reviews HL2 and looks at the scores given to Doom 3 (which, by all account will come out first) he will give HL2 a bigger score. If he was a Doom 3 fan he would give it a slightly lower score.

Plus, don't trust the first review. I doubt ID would have giver the right of a first review to a magazine that would give D3 anything less than a 90%. And again, I must compare it to Far Cry. Untill I get D3 into my hands and am able to play it through at least 3 times, only then is it a good game (HL I played through about 7 times in 5 years).

PC Gamer seems to be using the scale from 90% to 99% for the most games they "review". I really got no respect whatsoever for that magazine. I'll rather wait so that I get to personally see the games myself than allow myself to take seriously the articles written a "journalist" while having a handjob from ID's E3 booth babe and John C. watching over his shoulder with a stack of 20$ bills in his hand ready for one to be given for every fancy word of praise to stick on the top of the game's packaging.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against D3 (nor HL2!) and I'm pretty sure it'll go up to the ninety-something scale IMO too, this was merely a complaint against the PC Gamer magazine's corruption and the "marketing methods" some game firms use.

Doom3=94%, what does this mean for HL2?(review wise)

I think this means absolutely nothing :p

brink's said:
With PC Gamer awarding Doom3 with a 94%( or so were told), what does this mean for HL2 review wise? Many would agree the only reason Far Cry got such solid 90+ reviews was because of its incredible graphics and was the first half decent fps to come out for awhile. With that said do you think reviewers will be harder on HL2 then they were Far Cry, just cause it has 2 next gen games to compare it to.

I know in the long run it doesn't matter, but its just a thought.

Discuss :)

Swedish PCGamer = 98%-99% (98 is their "regular" high standard mark anything above would be new but I'm thinking it might be worth it)

PC Gamer seems to be using the scale from 90% to 99% for the most games they "review".

Obviously you've missed the 10-70% reviews. Usually the highly anticipated games get a higher score for the same reason that they're highly anticipated. They usually aren't terribly far off although you have to use your head and realize that the reviewer, like any human being, is biased by their own likes and dislikes.

PC gamer gave the original Half-Life 98%

just about every gaming mag gave Half-Life above 95% (9.5)
and this was back when they were being honest in reveiw scores.

also, we can all agree that Half-Life2 will be a better game (comparetivly) to Half-Life so as long as Gabe and "the gang" over at VALVe manage to do everything right, (which they will)

we should be expecting +98%... which is a spooky thought.

[ yeah yeah, Alpha centauri and Star-craft are the rokz0r as well, in fact, im playing Alpha Centauri right now :D ]

Back