Dota 2 Blog Online, Q&A with Icefrog

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
<div ></div>[br]A new site has appeared for Dota 2, which will progress the building of the game and possibly media as it is released. Currently on the blog is a rather lengthy Q&A with questions being answered by IceFrog, one of the creators of the original Dota mod for Warcraft 3 who works on Dota 2 for Valve.[br]
From now until the release of the game next year, this will be a place where you can get information on our progress as we build the game. But first some of you might be thinking, ?What is Dota 2?? Dota began as a user-made modification for Warcraft 3 and has grown into one of the most played online games in the world. Following in the tradition of Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Portal, and Alien Swarm, Dota 2 is the result of Valve hiring the community developers who built the mod and giving them the chance to finally build a full product out of their idea with the help of a professional team of developers and artists at Valve.
[br] You can read the entire post and see the new blog here. Surely this is just the beginning of posts that we can expect to see in the way of Dota 2 news, stay tuned for more info!

Loving the website. Reminds me of Aztec scuplture.

Pretty good info in the Q&A, at least for people who are already familiar with the concept of the game. It seems pretty clear that they want this to be the end-all complete version of DoTA, which I look forward to.

Anyone else think this product may be part of a package like the original Portal? I mean all the games they mention to compare it to--Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Portal, and Alien Swarm--were done in that way, so perhaps this part of a package?

Dare I say, an Episode 3 package?

I dare not. But someone here still might!

IceFrog has said (iirc) that he wants to have DOTA 2 cost as little as possible, so announcing a bundle with EP 3 would not only make it cheaper, but it would introduce many new people to the DOTA genre, hmm... I wouldn't hold my breath though, but if so they'll probably announce it as one of the surprises at E3. Unless the surprise gets cancelled.

Anyone else think this product may be part of a package like the original Portal? I mean all the games they mention to compare it to--Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Portal, and Alien Swarm--were done in that way, so perhaps this part of a package?

Dare I say, an Episode 3 package?

I dare not. But someone here still might!

Probably a Warcraft package or something. DOTA seems a little out of place when paired with Half-Life or Team Fortress.

Probably a Warcraft package or something. DOTA seems a little out of place when paired with Half-Life or Team Fortress.

because it makes more sense that a valve game gets released with a blizzard game than another valve game.

because it makes more sense that a valve game gets released with a blizzard game than another valve game.

Wait, so will this result in an exponential increase to the value of time the statement "When its done?" refers to?

When-its-done... squared!

IceFrog has said (iirc) that he wants to have DOTA 2 cost as little as possible, so announcing a bundle with EP 3 would not only make it cheaper, but it would introduce many new people to the DOTA genre, hmm... I wouldn't hold my breath though, but if so they'll probably announce it as one of the surprises at E3. Unless the surprise gets cancelled.

Nah. This would be a separate release and a BIG ONE.
The Dota genre may be a niche genre but it is a big one.

Just look at HoN - 30K concurrent at peak and it's not even 1/4th of the Dota population.
Imagine when Dota 2 comes out.

LoL, HoN and Dota players jump in all together.
GG.

Dota 2 = the one DOTA to rule them all.

(if it's affordable and has all the useful features HoN has and more)

Back