Dr Breen is not in charge

Spugmaster

Reaction score
Just noticed this while watching the new E3 video. When Gordon is getting off the train and you see Dr Breen on the video screen for the first time - listen closely to what he says:

"Welcome to City 17.....I thought so much of City 17 that I decided to establish my administration here in the Citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors"

So Breen is perhaps not fully in charge of the city. He is clearly the administrator but who or what are the benefactors.

We can also summize from the comments made at last years E3 concerning the citadel that it is alien in origin:

"This is the citadel at the center of alien combine" This was the commentary with the E3 2003 shaky cam video.

Your thoughts...

Well, duh about the Breen thing, but I don't really understand what this whole "alien combine" thing is...

Spugmaster said:
So Breen is perhaps not fully in charge of the city. He is clearly the administrator but who or what are the benefactors.

Um... the Combine?

I like to make spammy posts when I should really know better

Exactly - but a lot or people are saying that the combine troops are human and this kind of hints that they are not...

My point is if the combine are the governing force in the game (the guys in charge) then Breen, the G-man and everyone else are just puppets for who or whatever is controling the citadel.

Can't wait to find out - maybe we battle Breen in this one and it all gets finalised in HL3

I thought I could hear them making alien noises when they died in some of the vids, but I'm not sure..

Crusader said:
I thought I could hear them making alien noises when they died in some of the vids, but I'm not sure..
Nahh, they aren't aliens. In some of the pics you can see human fingers in the gloves and stuff. (Those cut-off gloves)

And it's just the radio effect. Sounds very cool IMO.

Which ones are you talking about? Most people call the models which have nothing to do with the combine "The Combine." The models with white gas-masks are not the same thing as the Combine, which are the blue and yellow models with black gas-masks.

Spugmaster said:
Exactly - but a lot or people are saying that the combine troops are human and this kind of hints that they are not...

My point is if the combine are the governing force in the game (the guys in charge) then Breen, the G-man and everyone else are just puppets for who or whatever is controling the citadel.

Can't wait to find out - maybe we battle Breen in this one and it all gets finalised in HL3

I thought the combine were a collection of alien races and that's why their name was COMBINE. It's obvious that there are human members but that doesn't rule out anything else there.

If anyone cares about what Breen says:

"Welcome. Welcome to City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban settlements. I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my administration here, in the citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I have been proud to call City 17 my home. So, whether you are here to stay or passing through on your way to parts unknown... Welcome to City 17. It's safer here."

heh what if it was like in the movie Equilibrium where he was just a recording and the real bad guy behind it was someone else.

:hmph: Combine could be humans taken from aliens and made into something else.

Tork said:
heh what if it was like in the movie Equilibrium where he was just a recording and the real bad guy behind it was someone else.

That would be so cool :D
If that were true, the aliens have taken over and the government sent out the g-man, used Gordon as a test subject, but he succeeded so the g-man kept him for safe keepings.
Just a blur till now, when they wake him up. They must of screwed the pooch so they release gordon and he goes all Kamakazi Crowbar style on them and kills them all, then goes to sleep again.
:)
Anyway...

My guess is that the Combine are like the Borg of the HL universe. The vibe I get from the setting is a mix of the Borg goal of assimilation and the Nazi occupation of Europe. In that light, Breen smells like a collaborator to the alien occupation/assimilation, whereas Eli leads Le Resistance. There's no way in hell the G-Man is anything but a villian, but we probably won't know his intentions until HL3, or wherever the story ultimately ends.

here's to hoping there's an OP4-type expansion pack for HL2. I for one am giddy at the thought of trampling the human resistance with a Strider. In fact, I've already decided to map Right Mouse as the "impale human" key. SUFFER MEDDLESOME HUMANS!

:afro:

Crusader said:
Which ones are you talking about? Most people call the models which have nothing to do with the combine "The Combine." The models with white gas-masks are not the same thing as the Combine, which are the blue and yellow models with black gas-masks.

I think all the gas mask wearing dudes are Combine. The ones in the train vid are the "cops" and the blue and yellow ones are the "troops".

I also think this game will be similar to the Matrix in some ways. Notice the last G-Man scene in the 2k4 e3 vids... What all that mechanics stuff going on in the background? Looks to me like a certain scene in the Matrix.............

:eek:

I thought the ones with white gas masks were called metro-cops. The metro cops always seemed pretty human to me in the videos, whereas the other ones seemed kind of alien to me.. they make weird noises.

Have we ever seen striders and metrocops in the same place? Do they fight each other, or are they on the same side?

What I really want to know is what happened to the US, and the normal military. It seems quite a lot has changed in ten years..

denlife7 said:
I think all the gas mask wearing dudes are Combine. The ones in the train vid are the "cops" and the blue and yellow ones are the "troops".

I also think this game will be similar to the Matrix in some ways. Notice the last G-Man scene in the 2k4 e3 vids... What all that mechanics stuff going on in the background? Looks to me like a certain scene in the Matrix.............

:eek:

that scene was the test chamber in the first game, ive only seen the gas mask guys, where are the ones not wearing them? there all combine to me.

Gordon'sFreeman said:
that scene was the test chamber in the first game, ive only seen the gas mask guys, where are the ones not wearing them? there all combine to me.

No, I know the test chamber scene. I am talking about the end of the e3 2k4 vids (around 11.20 in the long e3 video) when G-man is saying about the "right man in the wrong place" etc.. and the stuff that is going on in the background.

Check it out then tell me what you think...

Where is that?? What the hell is going on? I need answers....

/takes pill and has a nap :eek:

Looks like a bunch of pods of something. Cryopods? Storage containers?

I think it represents a mix of the Matrix and Star Wars - Attack of the Clones. And is the test chamber scene that they show again at the start of the 2k4 e3 vid, and the cryopod part at the end related?? They both superimpose over the face of the G-man.

And Brain Damage... what IS a cryopod ??

er.. never mind.. I know what it is. Cryopod like what Keanu is swimming in in the first Matrix film, yeah? :E

Yeah i kind of agree with maddog. I think they're modified or manufactured in someway, likely that they all think the same way. No defection to any other organisations.

I bet my penis that they wont be human like Barney or some other City17 person.

As for Breen, he's probably dead already Tork kind of said. And no the Combine are just running the place. But why would they not want to reveal their real faces? Ahh, there must be more City17 people than Combine so if the Citizens knew combine were different they would be more likely to revolt.

****it, i don't know.

Crusader said:
I thought the ones with white gas masks were called metro-cops. The metro cops always seemed pretty human to me in the videos, whereas the other ones seemed kind of alien to me.. they make weird noises.

Have we ever seen striders and metrocops in the same place? Do they fight each other, or are they on the same side?

What I really want to know is what happened to the US, and the normal military. It seems quite a lot has changed in ten years..

Striders and Metrocops work together in some of the screens you have them stalking about in the background with the metrocops blocking an alley. They are obviosuly buddies.

By cryopod, I mean a capsule for cold storage of living tissue, kind of like those pods you see in one of the cut scenes in Homeworld.

Brian Damage said:
By cryopod, I mean a capsule for cold storage of living tissue, kind of like those pods you see in one of the cut scenes in Homeworld.

Hehe, Homeworld rocked. :)

I thought they might be parts of some machine in an assembly line, but it's too hard to see clearly to be sure.

Well, isn't ol' Gordy in some sort of stasis? Perhaps he comes round in a gigantic Combine Suspended Animation Centre, alongside thousands of other pods... but why?

Dun dun DUN...

My opinion...

Dr Breen is in charge as a human representative. I get the impression he is collaborating with the 'benefactors' though, perhaps for his own personal advantage. It's possibly a case of "I'll persuade them to live like this - they'll listen to me" over the 'benefactors' brute force tactics, and in doing so, he gets some protection from them as he is doing them a service.

I say benefactors, as for all we know they could control the combine.

Can't he be just another unknown and random face on a monitor? Or did Valve say something else?

NeLi said:
Can't he be just another unknown and random face on a monitor? Or did Valve say something else?

Well, he's not just a random face on a monitor. He's on every monitor, and on every TV. He also calls himself the admin of the city, so he's probably a big VIP.

I think breen is just a puppet for the combine... and well we dont really know what the combine are atm... and wont fully until obviously we play though hl2. I liked two of the theories posted here so far

- combine are a combination of other alien species (includes humans?)
- combine are humans taken by aliens and made into somthing elese (somthing ive theorized since I first saw combine)

no i think Breen is in charge, it just seems better to me. I think as a scientist he is trying to achive something and as previously stated has his own ideas about how to handle the alien invasion.

I'm thinking Breen is in charge, too. Also, i dunno if he is such a 'bad guy' really...I mean, maybe he is, but he doesn't see himself as a bad guy. Most of the time the big nerdy bad guys know they are bad and do their whole take over the world maniacal laugh spiel. But Breen is different. I think that he sees the only way to protect the people is to be oppressive and keep the truth about the aliens and stuff under wraps. now, this may save the human race and keep a somewhat peaceful lifestyle intact, but Gordon and Co. probably see a better way out, which is what you are fighting for.

Or Breen is incredably (sp?) naive, and is working with the combine who are telling him that they are there to help. And then he doesn't see how they are trying to take over. He could be a dumb person in a high place, ya know? anyway, just guessing. that's what we are here for.

I still think he's their "kind face for the general public" in city 17. I think he's just a puppet and not a very important person at all...

The concept art for the final sequence background can be seen around. Just search damn it!

And Breen is the leader of the Combine, which are the Metrocops, plus the Combine Amry, plus the Striders, plus the Gunships.....

Hios benefactors are prolly the same ppl that put him in power with the tech needed to make the Combine (which I still hold to be biomech, convereted humans, somewhat like the Borg+Nazi=Combine that someone said above)

wtf do you mean, concept art for the final sequence....which is it? besides valve wouldt release something like that....valve arnt stupid.

*shoots load* If that's inside the citadel (like I predicted we'd go in the game) then that's just how I think it should look. Nice one Valve.

denlife7 said:
No, I know the test chamber scene. I am talking about the end of the e3 2k4 vids (around 11.20 in the long e3 video) when G-man is saying about the "right man in the wrong place" etc.. and the stuff that is going on in the background.

Check it out then tell me what you think...

Where is that?? What the hell is going on? I need answers....

/takes pill and has a nap :eek:
It is a piece of a factory, and they look alot like some part of the APC to me (cockpit area)

Back