Dragon Age 2

This game's made me laugh more than any other I think... it's great.

And after a false start with a mage, I'm actually playing a sword & board/reaver warrior, which is quite uncharacteristic of me. It's fun.

Ok so I bought this on steam. I have to wait until midnight (12hr) to play it.... -_-
I've been kidding myself that I wouldn't buy it but I've been looking forward to this for ages.
I also overestimated how long it would take to download by several hours. (59 mins in total)

Someone told me the story in a nutshell, I assume 'cause he pirated it or something.

i personally don't think this crap is going to be even worth pirating

Well, Avatar had the most uninteresting and unoriginal story in the history of cinema. Yet, it has become a praised cult movie. (OK, 3D was involved in the process).

Most intelligent movie-lovers I speak to don't think particularly highly of Avatar, it just seems to be people who actually have bad taste to begin with that love it.

I've heard the companions are better written than in the original (Game Informer). Can anyone comment?

I keep seeing more and more on this game, and I'm always like "Yeah, I think I'll buy it!" Then I go to steam and see $59.99 and I go all :| and don't buy it.

Most intelligent movie-lovers I speak to don't think particularly highly of Avatar, it just seems to be people who actually have bad taste to begin with that love it.

I don't think I have bad taste in movies at all, but I take Avatar for what it is, a triumph of 3D animation for our time. It's a beautiful movie and I like to watch it based on that. It doesn't have terrible writing or acting, but it's far from original or even close to the better written movies I enjoy.

I keep seeing more and more on this game, and I'm always like "Yeah, I think I'll buy it!" Then I go to steam and see $59.99 and I go all :| and don't buy it.

I feel the same way. It's a game I want but definitely a game I don't want to pay for.

I don't think I have bad taste in movies at all, but I take Avatar for what it is, a triumph of 3D animation for our time. It's a beautiful movie and I like to watch it based on that. It doesn't have terrible writing or acting, but it's far from original or even close to the better written movies I enjoy.

I hear what you're saying but what I mean is the people who like it for its story and think of it as some profoundly deep and enlightening movie about environmental and social issues.

Ha.

And yeah, cult movie, what? Do you know what a box office is?

I guess you're confusing "terrible" with "simplistic." It was obvious the movie was written to appeal to the masses without ensnaring them in complex situations. It's designed to be for kids and adults. It wasn't written poorly at all. It was written with a beginning a middle and and end and followed the characters and the plot in a way that even a five year old could enjoy. If somehow my ability to discern the bad from the simple implies I have poor taste in movies, then I guess I have poor taste in movies.

I've watched plenty of movies that were simplistic and appealed to the masses, but not all of them have me saying, "That was a pretty ****in' dumb movie" when I left. Simplistic, the way you mean it, is bad. I ask myself, "Would a person actually in the situation this character is in say that?" and I answer, "Nope." Not good writing.

Avatar isn't one of those movies that left me wanting more, or left me thinking about the characters or story. Sure the visuals were nice but that's not enough to hold it up for me, I see Avatar as more of a trend for the masses.

We tend to forget that we are a hard-core niche. Sometimes we sound like the fanatic trekkers that hated Star Trek 2009 for not being canon and deep and intellectual and bla... bla... bla... and can't accept that it was a really succesful reboot due to it being less nerdy and more accessible to the masses.

Look at all the Fallout/Deus Ex/Bioshock discussions. Every new game is accused of being "dumbed down". It always happens, and it can't be always true.
Sometimes we are like our parents when they talk about their good ol' times, when all was nicer and better.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. Just to show that not-so-rich stories can be equally successful.

Rich and deep stories in videogames would be nice but, come on, videogames can be enjoyed even if they are a little dumber than 2001, The Lord of the Rings and so on.

A game is made up of several different factors: gameplay, freedom, immersion, graphics. Story and writing are important but, imo, are not the main features. Everything is important.

By the way, as a footnote: BioWare has always been great in storytelling, so I have faith that Dragon Age 2 will be good. I will buy it when it's cheaper.

I feel the same way. It's a game I want but definitely a game I don't want to pay for.

Well then you don't feel the same way. I want to pay for it, but I don't feel a digital copy of the PC game on steam warrants the full price of a boxed copy of a console version. $49.99 is the max I will pay for a standard edition game on PC for download, and usually I wont buy it until a sale or price drop, since I dont think many games are worth more than $39.99.

WELL YOU KNOW THE WAY I FELT ABOUT AVATAR WAS oh haha guess that pointless derail is over now.

By the way, as a footnote: BioWare as always been great in storytelling, so I have faith that Dragon Age 2 will be good. I will buy it when it's cheaper.

Some dark evil(malak, reapers, archdemon dragon guy in da) assails a 'good' world (the republic, all the fags in ME, all the fags in the DA world) so a hero who is a member of some special snowflake organization(jedi, spectre, grey warden) has to fight the evil bad guys(the sith, the geth, the blight) and eventually beat the big bad and save the world/galaxy.

I'm sorry, just.. after kotor their writing took a big down turn.

I thought the story of DA2 was supposed to be different? I heard it was different.

Well anyways, I understand that metascore doesn't really matter at all, but I find it interesting that the early reviews are so low. I'm sure we're all familiar of the pacing of opening day reviews, they tend to be much higher, and the score lowers a bit as time passes. Anyways, that considered, not to mention the fact that this is a major AAA title from Bioware, reception was pretty negative. In fact I think this is one of Bioware's lowest scoring major releases ever, even lower than Jade Empire.

Fan reception (from what I've heard) has also been mostly negative.

I've also heard that the caves/mines/whatever for most of the side quests look exactly the same. That, coupled with the fact that at some point the main quest forces you to do a number of side quests... :|

The first part is like Baldur's Gate II where you just do whatever the hell you want while you save money... it's not as good as BG2 of course (BG2's Athkatla still feels more alive than Kirkwall), but it's not bad.

What I find confusing is people comparing this game to the first one like the first one was actually that good... it wasn't. Awakening was better but still nothing to rave about. I much prefer this second one... better characters, better dialogue, better control, and the city focus as it moves through time is rather neat. And as I mentioned in a previous post... it's god damn hilarious.

There are still bad things... the repeated quest areas, enemies spawning out of nowhere making any positioning strategy totally irrelevant, confusing talent trees, stats, and items (I usually have no idea what ****ing rings and shit are the best to wear), at least one overly-difficult, practically-forced 1v1 boss fight, and the return of drab armor and weapon graphics. Thing is... all these (except maybe the repeated areas) were in the first game in an even worse state.

Some dark evil(malak, reapers, archdemon dragon guy in da) assails a 'good' world (the republic, all the fags in ME, all the fags in the DA world) so a hero who is a member of some special snowflake organization(jedi, spectre, grey warden) has to fight the evil bad guys(the sith, the geth, the blight) and eventually beat the big bad and save the world/galaxy.

I see your point but, well, this kind of simplification could be used to describe almost every kind of epic fiction.

Question for those that have the game: Is the story more or less interesting than that of DA:O?

bioware response said:
Please review the EA Community Terms of Service, particularly sections #9 and #11. There are two levels of enforcement here:

1. BioWare community bans are forum-only and can be for as little as 24 hours. These bans should have no effect on your game, only your ability to use all the features of this website/community. these bans are handed out by BioWare Moderators as the result of our travels around the forum and/or issues reported by fellow community members.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow.

If there are further questions or concerns, please send them to me via private message. Thank you.

End of line.

Herpaderp EA did it not us but you deserve it anyway for not following The Rules?

Dragon Age 2 was rushed.

Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now.

I fear ME3 will be a rush job as well, given the timeframes for the releases.

ME1 2007 > ME2 2010 > ME3 2011

Kinda funny how it went from a 3 year time diff. in release to a one year(well I guess almost two years given that ME2 was Q1 2010 and ME3 is Q4 2011 but still.)

It is indeed.

I am really quite disappointed since I have been quite satisfied with EA's behaviour these past few years, now it seems they're taking a turn for the worse again in terms of how they treat their customers.

As if the consolitis wasn't enough. Looks like EA is trying to reclaim their throne of "Biggest Asshole Publisher" from Activision.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941/1

They will revoke access to your own games if you complain about them on their forums. Talk about PR suicide.

I doubt it's remotely as innocent as he proclaims tbh. Handing out 3 day suspensions isn't something any moderator is likely to do lightly (after all there is always a paper trail in case of abuse). Albeit I know the natural inclination is to always side with the little guy, but in this case all we have is his side of events.

I'd take his statements with a large pinch of salt before rushing to his defence.

Because there's any amount of inappropriate forum comments that could justify restricting someone from playing a ****ing single player game? Come on, he already owned up to the fact that he deserved the ban. It's entirely possible he's a giant douche, but that doesn't make this okay.

I doubt it's remotely as innocent as he proclaims tbh. Handing out 3 day suspensions isn't something any moderator is likely to do lightly (after all there is always a paper trail in case of abuse). Albeit I know the natural inclination is to always side with the little guy, but in this case all we have is his side of events.

I'd take his statements with a large pinch of salt before rushing to his defence.

It doesn't make a difference how he behaved or what he may have said on the forums. It doesn't give them the right to revoke access to his games. If this was a multiplayer game and he got caught cheating, it would be a different story. But it's not.

Well then you don't feel the same way. I want to pay for it, but I don't feel a digital copy of the PC game on steam warrants the full price of a boxed copy of a console version. $49.99 is the max I will pay for a standard edition game on PC for download, and usually I wont buy it until a sale or price drop, since I dont think many games are worth more than $39.99.

I find it hilarious that Krynn doesn't even agree with the opinion that is in agreement with him. I have to wonder what it's like to travel the world disagreeing with every possible existing statement of opinion or otherwise.

It's interesting to me that this game is receiving mixed reviews. It's good to see the RPG community still has scruples and won't accept inadequate games no matter how big the name behind them. Dragon Age was fun. DA: O was really forgettable. From what I've read, this is continuing the trend. I figure no matter how universal the sentiment toward DA 2 is, I figure it's going to sit at the original gawdy price. I don't know why PC games retail for the same as console games now considering that they can't be resold... so the company ends up with a lot of extra revenue relative to the people who ultimately play it when compared to console games. I can only assume they just don't care and enjoy the extra revenue. Good thing Steam is around to expedite the whole sale process.

I got a dagger rogue with assassination specialty with stealth and evade from subterfuge to reduce aggro. combined with anders buffing us with haste, this shit is dealing out a metric SHIT TON of damage and FUN as hell to play.

I find it hilarious that Krynn doesn't even agree with the opinion that is in agreement with him. I have to wonder what it's like to travel the world disagreeing with every possible existing statement of opinion or otherwise.

I'm going to disagree with you if you're wrong. You weren't agreeing with me, you were assuming I didn't want to pay money for the game and then agreeing with that false assumption you made of me.

I am under the impression that a lot of people is talking without having really played the game. So my question is to buyers and players: are you enjoying the game? No haters or fanboys, please.

can someone post screens whit the hihgest settings?

I like the art style of the game

Back