Dragon Age: Origins

God dammit Steam. I bought the US version so why must i wait for the UK release date. I wish Valve would invest the time is making Steam a better service instead of making new ways to restrict us.

The Eurogamer review has confirmed my doubts and put me off a day one purchase. I'm guaranteed to pick this up when there's a price drop, but till then there are more intriguing games to play.

The Eurogamer review has confirmed my doubts and put me off a day one purchase. I'm guaranteed to pick this up when there's a price drop, but till then there are more intriguing games to play.

doubts about what exactly?

The quality and originality of the story and setting. This game is going to give psychological blowjobs to those who adore generic fantasy, but personally I can no longer be satisfied by it enough to warrant 100+ hours of my time.

The game's not very generic at all. If anything, it reminds me of Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series which is anything but generic high fantasy crap. There's loads of deep material here for an entire universe that I really hope BioWare doesn't neglect. I like the allegories for real world stuff as well. I mean, I don't think it's a secret that the Chantry is essentially the Catholic Church.

Also, I have this for 360 (because I do not have the money nor do I wanna spend any on a gaming rig) and while it is unfortunate I can't go into isometric view, everything is tip top. I'm having a blast.

Yeah, I played for a couple of hours tonight and I must say that this is the best PC game I have bought in the last decade or so. :) Seriously, the game is awesome so far. It looks great, plays great, sounds great. EXACTLY what I have been waiting for. Everything is SO MUCH better than NWN2 and I really liked that a lot. Wish I didn't have to work again tomorrow. :(

The quality and originality of the story and setting. This game is going to give psychological blowjobs to those who adore generic fantasy, but personally I can no longer be satisfied by it enough to warrant 100+ hours of my time.
Haha, like you can say that without having played it. :rolleyes:

This game is pretty awesome. Story, combat, even the music is great! (I was uneasy in Radcliffe castle). Will delve into this more tomorrow but I also work. But, I am very eager to play more.

This dude's been streaming the game lately, he's almost done with his play through, though. I get strong KotoR vibes from the actual meat of the combat/gameplay, so that's a good thing.

I heard it plays like KoTOR from a friend, as well.

I'm getting this. Definitely.

How can the gameplay between the two console versions differ? They are exactly the same. Does not compute.

Also, you should know better than to believe developers.

I'd say the fact the PS3 has more glitches and bugs than the 360 version results in it having worse gameplay.

Are you stuck with a Mass Effect-style base armour, or can you strip to your underwear or basic rags?

haven't tried that yet...I must rest now it's 4:30am. curse this weak human body and it's needs.

I've coughed up purely out of morbid curiosity, though the Eurogamer review was much better than John Walkers given it highlighted the shortcomings. Sadly though it seems everyone else bought the line:-

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/dragonageorigins

Are you stuck with a Mass Effect-style base armour, or can you strip to your underwear or basic rags?
Yeah, you can go down to your BIG-codpiece-jockstrap-style undies. Pretty sweet. :D Makes for some funny situations because you just know the people you are talking to in town are really uncomfortable even if they don't show it. :LOL:

Man, I cannot wait to get home to play more. Tough night with game 6 of the world series and all, but I will be playing anyway. :) RPG of the last decade for sure. I am astounded at how great the PC version looks and plays with everything turned up, even when you get up close to people. Crazy stuff.

Played a fair bit this afternoon, and I've gotta say I'm really enjoying it so far. Started out as a human noble, but ended up settling with a human-hating city elf character.

I've only completed the origins bit at the start of the game, so I've barely scratched the surface really - but I was pretty surprised as well at just how well it runs and looks on PC. For all the talk of mediocre graphics I wasn't expecting it to look as sharp as it does - It's no Crysis, but for my money it looks and runs a hell of lot better than say...Mass Effect.

From the little I've played I'd say it seems very similar to KOTOR more than anything in terms of combat and overall gameplay. Sure, the setting isn't terribly original at first glance, but it's nowhere near as cringeworthy as the god-awful trailers would lead you to believe. But yeah, I'm really having fun with it - I'll post up some more impressions and screens later.

Whats everyone's system specs and what settings are you guys running the game on?

Whats everyone's system specs and what settings are you guys running the game on?
Well, I am running it on highest settings for everything with a screen res of 16x10.

PC specs (roughly, as I don't remember the exact details of each bit):

Quad core cpu
6 GB RAM
2x GTX 280 in SLI
Windows Vista 64 (sp2 I think)

So yes, I should be able to run it really well and I most certainly do. :E

Well, I am running it on highest settings for everything with a screen res of 16x10.

PC specs (roughly, as I don't remember the exact details of each bit):

Quad core cpu
6 GB RAM
2x GTX 280 in SLI
Windows Vista 64 (sp2 I think)

So yes, I should be able to run it really well and I most certainly do. :E

Rich bastard.

I laugh at your shitty OS though!

Rich bastard.

I laugh at your shitty OS though!
Dude, I saved up for a year and a half for this thing!! I got it after I had saved up for each of the current gen consoles. I don't think the stars will align as such ever again in any console generation though sadly.

And yeah, the OS sucks. I know. I really need to get more details about Windows 7 and what it can/can't run without issues. I like a lot of the older stuff that is sometimes tough to run in Vista, but I have heard 7 is way better for that sort of thing.

Intel Q6600
3GB RAM
ATI HD4870 1GB

Running everything maxed at 1680x1050, with 8xAA and 16xAF. Runs silky smooth for the most part. Haven't really got into any huge battles just yet so that might change. Cutscenes do seem a little bit a choppy at times no matter what I put the settings to, nothing major though.

Some screens (no actual spoilers):

daorigins20091104165232.jpg

daorigins20091104170217.jpg

daorigins20091104170424.jpg

daorigins20091104171307.jpg

daorigins20091104171356.jpg

daorigins20091104171509.jpg

daorigins20091104171427.jpg

Running everything maxed out at 1920X1080. It runs fine for an older PC as well. Specs are in my sig.

q6600
radeon 4850 512mb
8gb Ram

Running all max at 1920x1200 but with AA set to 2 (at this res, AA isnt really necessary) and with Vsync on since I was getting a lot of tearing in cutscenes.

I posted screens in the screenshot thread here.

dayum you people call those pcs shitty? my pc is shitty: amd x2 4200 (socket 939) 2g ram and a 8800GT yet it runs every modern game out there even crysis (at med to high) so if it runs on pc it'll run on miost people's older pcs (although the 8800GT helps) ...I'm leaving in about 30 mins to pick up DOA, cant wait to play it

dayum you people call those pcs shitty? my pc is shitty: amd x2 4200 (socket 939) 2g ram and a 8800GT yet it runs every modern game out there even crysis (at med to high) so if it runs on pc it'll run on miost people's older pcs (although the 8800GT helps) ...I'm leaving in about 30 mins to pick up DOA, cant wait to play it

THAT'S NOT SHITTY!
Mine's a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz, 2 gigs of RAM and a nVidia GeForce 7900GT 256MB from XFX.:(

Great game in terms of storyline and characters. The combat can be chaotic and it's hard as **** even though i am playing it on Normal. The characters interact a lot more with each other than in Bioware's previous games. The game looks good for the most part but the world's textures are clearly outdated and look a bit washed out even on the highest settings. It runs great though. No issues so far. I Am rather enjoying it even though i dislike Sword and Sorcery oriented games. Bioware could make a game that puts you in the shoes of a walking turd and i'd probably still end up liking it because of the great writing. This is what the LOTR games should have been. It has a very similar story structure and atmosphere of those movies but with a little KOTOR mixed in with it.

Ive heard a lot of people talking about how hard it is, I haven't really run into much trouble so far on normal though. I've only died twice, once in an ambush with lots of people that I wasn't expecting, and once against the first major boss. Ive had a bunch of close calls though in normal scraps, and have run out of health potions entirely on several occasions so its certainly not easy. Normal seems like a decent difficulty for me having lots of tense moments where I think I'm going to die, but managing to get by on the skin of my teeth.

Also, the only think I think that actually looks bad is the water. Its completely static and looks bad. Everything else is good or average looking for this kind of game.

I thought that the setting was going to be very dull and shitty, but its so good that I actually am liking it. Its all based on generic fantasy sure, but there's things like the Ash warriors who are cool, the clerics and their beef with the mages, the elven slums and other additions to the genre that make the setting pretty fresh again. I honestly recommend people don't hold the fantasy setting against the game, because it doesn't hold the game back at all.

Its like in the KOTOR games, it was based in your standard Star Was universe we've all experienced before, but it had awesome additions in it like the Mandalorians.

THAT'S NOT SHITTY!
Mine's a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz, 2 gigs of RAM and a nVidia GeForce 7900GT 256MB from XFX.:(

besides the graphics card mine is the shittier pc, by leaps and bounds. the amd x2 4200 is socket 939, from 2004 ... it was the first of the amd dual cores

I'm currently playing Risen ..and I'm having problems with my ram so I'm currently running it with 1g of ram (winxp)

the myth that you need an uber pc to play pc games is just that; a myth

picked up my copy of DAO. wont be playing it till the wife and kids go to sleep ...anyone have a chloroform soaked rag I could borrow?

Just got it today, started as a Dwarven Noble Warrior, very very fun so far, I'm not very far though. Defiantly going to be putting in a ton of time on this game.

Just got it today, started as a Dwarven Noble Warrior, very very fun so far, I'm not very far though. Defiantly going to be putting in a ton of time on this game.

I pick the same exact race/class. The beginning origin story was pretty damn good.

Human Arcane Warrior here hoping I picked a good one! Game is pretty dam fun so far and as everyone else has said Im gonna be putting in a lot of time on this one.

Getting the 360 version today, gonna enjoy playing it, not sure what race/class to start with.

Back