Dragon Age: Origins

Yes. I really want that cloth map :)
Good call. IIRC the map that came with the original Baldur's Gate was paper and the creases (on mine at least) are almost total rips now. :(

I always loved the Ultima games (for example) for giving you all sorts of extra stuff, including cloth maps and little metal avatar symbols and soundtracks, without having to call it a "special limited edition" or anything. It didn't cost more either. Now it is just another way to fleece gamers out of a buck these days. Same goes for DLC. :frown:

I always loved the Ultima games (for example) for giving you all sorts of extra stuff, including cloth maps and little metal avatar symbols

Now I think I'm gonna cry, remembering the good old times in Britannia, looking up destinations on those beautiful maps.

Yes. I really want that cloth map :)
Shit. It comes with a cloth map? That's torn me.

I'd like them to go back to the days where you got cool little extras with games without having to buy a Super Special Awesome Deluxe Mega Limited Complete Supremo Edition for twice the price. And by cool little extras, I don't mean a set of bloody night-vision goggles (I have a friend who's actually gone for that). I remember buying Ultima Online and getting a cloth map and a little pewter UO badge. That endeared the game to my heart before I'd even put the CD in the machine.

I remember when I got a shitty paper map with Morrowind. Shit sucked.

I always loved the Ultima games for giving you all sorts of extra stuff, [...], without having to call it a "special limited edition" or anything. It didn't cost more either.

To be honest, in my country those Ultima games were quite expensive. I remember paying Ultima VII something like 63 current Euros (I'm not adjusting for inflaction), which is the regular price of a PC Collector's Edition. But, you know, the boxes were huge, the manuals were finely printed (and had some true personality), and the cloth maps were awesome.

IMO it's pretty cool the way they are combining Mass Effect and Dragon Age, for example, one of the secret armours in Dragon Age will apparently be usable in Mass Effect 2.

I also hope Bioware does an equally awesome Limited Edition for Mass Effect 2.

Oh, and I hope to God EA doesn't force Bioware to make a "Dragon Age: MMO" now, it's so rare with truly great western fantasy RPGs these days ffs!

I haven't actually played Dragon Age yet, just talked to friends who have, just two more days til I get my Limited Edition copy though!

Good call. IIRC the map that came with the original Baldur's Gate was paper and the creases (on mine at least) are almost total rips now. :(
Yeah it was definitely paper. God I miss that map, I lost it years and years ago. It was a map of the city of Baldur's Gate IIRC. I remember being blown away that BG took six whole CDs to install...

Chiming in on the "wah wah I miss cool little extras" train. The Might and Magic (not HOMM, the original series) games always came with those, I have a cloth map of the MM6 world.

I also miss kickass 300 page game manuals.

gamespot reviewed all 3 platforms and gave the PC version the highest score: (PC) 9.5/10, (PS3) 9.0/10, (Xbox 360) 8.5/10

that's a huge discrepancy between the pc and 360 versions

the PC review:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/review.html

the 360 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

the PS3 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dragonage/review.html

obviously the PC version is the one to get. dammit I dont have time to pick it up today and there's no use in getting the steam version as I wont be home till late tonight ..so tommorrow it is

more reviews:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-review
http://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1040976p1.html

unzero said:
It's like playing the LotR movies really.

discussing games you pirated is a banable offense. you should be banned (also beaten to a pulp)

Damnation and hellfire! I just checked and my copy of the LE is at the store RIGHT NOW!! Argh!! But I have to work a full day yet!! Worst. Planing. Ever. :x

gamespot reviewed all 3 platforms and gave the PC version the highest score: (PC) 9.5/10, (PS3) 9.0/10, (Xbox 360) 8.5/10

the PC review:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/review.html

the 360 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

the PS3 review:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dragonage/review.html

obviously the PC version is the one to get. dammit I dont have time to pick it up today and there's no use in getting the steam version as I wont be home till late tonight ..so tommorrow it is

more reviews:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-review
http://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1040976p1.html

discussing games you pirated is a banable offense. you should be banned (also beaten to a pulp)
Ironically, one of the actual Bioware reps over at the official forum said he'd played through both the PS3 and 360 version and found the 360 version to be far more enjoyable and it(the 360 version) apparently has less bugs than the PS3 version as well.

GameSpot's score doesn't make much sense to me, seeing as one of the devs themselves said the complete opposite.

And yes, the PC version is the version to get if you have a sufficiently decent comp to run it with decent graphic settings, I do not.

Besides, everyone's pretty much saying the console versions are still absolutely great games, only they're closer to KoTOR combat-wise, than they are to Baldur's Gate/NWN(like the PC version)

Basically no surprise there, PC version uses their tried-and-true style from the Baldur's Gate and NWN, the console versions uses their tried-and-true style from the KoTOR games.

Let's face it, the game would probably get a lower score if it used the same difficulty and combat-system as the PC version, because of the huge amount of cumbersome clicking on the controls etc.

Besides, all reviews are praising the partner AI(in the console reviews anyway) for being very good and having a very intuitive customization system that if setup properly can get you combat where you have to do absolutely minimal interaction(as in orders to other characters that is)

So it's fine for me, I'll get the 360 version now, and by the time I have a decent enough PC to run it beautifully on my 1080p TV it'll probably be quite a bit cheaper and have plenty of mods out for it!:)

Ironically, one of the actual Bioware reps over at the official forum said he'd played through both the PS3 and 360 version and found the 360 version to be far more enjoyable and it(the 360 version) apparently has less bugs than the PS3 version as well.

GameSpot's score doesn't make much sense to me, seeing as one of the devs themselves said the complete opposite.

? that the console versions were superior and the pc version was inferior? this is not possible beause the console versions are limited in comparison to the pc version. fixed camera, low res, shitty textures etc

And yes, the PC version is the version to get if you have a sufficiently decent comp to run it with decent graphic settings, I do not.

the system requirements are pretty low and I have an amdx2 4200 (socket 939), 2 gigs o ram and an 8800gt and I'm pretty confidant it'll work without a problem

Besides, everyone's pretty much saying the console versions are still absolutely great games, only they're closer to KoTOR combat-wise, than they are to Baldur's Gate/NWN(like the PC version)

the combat is the same for all 3 versions, and no one is saying the consoles versions are shit, just that the pc version is better

Basically no surprise there, PC version uses their tried-and-true style from the Baldur's Gate and NWN, the console versions uses their tried-and-true style from the KoTOR games.

Let's face it, the game would probably get a lower score if it used the same difficulty and combat-system as the PC version, because of the huge amount of cumbersome clicking on the controls etc.

Besides, all reviews are praising the partner AI(in the console reviews anyway) for being very good and having a very intuitive customization system that if setup properly can get you combat where you have to do absolutely minimal interaction(as in orders to other characters that is)

So it's fine for me, I'll get the 360 version now, and by the time I have a decent enough PC to run it beautifully on my 1080p TV it'll probably be quite a bit cheaper and have plenty of mods out for it!:)

you dont have to justify your SKU, I'm not shooting down the PS3 version simply because I dont have a PS3. I'm primarily a pc gamer but have a 360. even if the game was better on the 360 I'd still get the pc version because that's what I prefer

? that the console versions were superior and the pc version was inferior? this is not possible beause the console versions are limited in comparison to the pc version. fixed camera, low res, shitty textures etc

Nono, he said that the 360 version was the superior version of the CONSOLE versions, as in the 360 version was better than the PS3 in his opinion, more stable framerate, less bugs and glitches.

The last two paragraphs of the Eurogamer review describe exactly why I'm still hesitant to pick this up:

Eurogamer said:
There aren't many working in high fantasy who can lay claim to total originality. Nor is there anything inherently dull and derivative about elves, dragons and dwarves. But there's something missing from Dragon Age. There's no alternative to the eeriness of Elder Scrolls, the colourful exuberance of Warcraft, the gritty savagery of Warhammer, the classical lyricism of Tolkien.

In its desperation to infuse this setting with "maturity" - be it of the sober, political kind, or the game's painfully clumsy gore and sex - BioWare has forgotten the key ingredient of any fantasy: the fantastical. Without it, you're still left with a competent, often compelling, impressively detailed and immense RPG, but it's one that casts no spell.

Worse because of what, the framerate? the bugs? Bugs can be patched.

Hoping to get this, and will probably pick up the 360 version.

I'd get it for PC, but I'm in desperate need for an upgrade first.

Worse because of what, the framerate? the bugs? Bugs can be patched.

Why not both? And yes, bugs can be patched, but Mass Effect still had plenty of bugs on the console even after Bioware patched it, so I'm not sure how well I should expect EA/Bioware to support the console versions when it comes to patches etc.

In the end, it is as CptStern said, the PC version is the best one to get, but sadly there's no like benchmark or demo available so impossible for me to tell how it'd run on my computer.

And before someone starts hating on me, I have a PS3 as well, mostly only play MGS4 and Killzone 2 on it though, haven't bought Uncharted 2 yet.

In exchange for worse gameplay according to a Bioware community manager who's played both versions. Worse gameplay ftw.

? gameplay is the same in all versions as far as I know. you mean framerate not gameplay. PS3 has nicer graphics but the 360 runs at a more consistant framrate (lower res textures so this is a no brainer)

I'll get this during the Steam holiday deals if available. I wish I had more time to game. If anyone has the PC version and you know of any problems let us know. I'd hate to throw down even $30 and have it not run smoothly

In exchange for worse gameplay according to a Bioware community manager who's played both versions. Worse gameplay ftw.

How can the gameplay between the two console versions differ? They are exactly the same. Does not compute.

Also, you should know better than to believe developers.

But the gameplay is not the same if the game unpauses in the console versions after you issue a single command and you also cannot zoom out to get a more tactical look at the battlefield. Definitely PC version for me.

In the end, it is as CptStern said, the PC version is the best one to get, but sadly there's no like benchmark or demo available so impossible for me to tell how it'd run on my computer.

Sure there is:

DragonAge-CPUs-1680.png

More details at the source.

M$ didn't build great longevity into the 360 as a platform and we've long since passed the point where in the 360 product is comparable to the PC or PS3 version. No guaranteed hard drive and strict limits on the number of DVDs you can use = technological dead end as a gaming platform.

M$ didn't build great longevity into the 360 as a platform and we've long since passed the point where in the 360 product is comparable to the PC or PS3 version. No guaranteed hard drive and strict limits on the number of DVDs you can use = technological dead end as a gaming platform.

But compare it to a $400 gaming PC 4 years ago. I'd say it's held up pretty well.

But compare it to a $400 gaming PC 4 years ago. I'd say it's held up pretty well.

Elaborate, because I'm not seeing what you're trying to do there, or why the need for the comment.

Wow. Just called the Gamestop where I have had my Collector's Edition for the PC reserved for months and the manager told me that they DIDN'T actually have the Collector's Edition Dragon Age for the PC because it "was canceled like a month ago." Not only was I never notified, but this also seems to conflict with Best Buy who has these ON THEIR SHELVES RIGHT NOW. So yes, I will be buying this at Best Buy instead and then going to GameStop and showing the manager and his other idiot cohorts and customers that this has not in fact been canceled and that if anyone wants this supposedly canceled merchandise, they should get it from Best Buy because they don't run out of things or get enough from corporate and then lie to you about it. Assholes.

****ing best buy says it's sold out. wtf, you suck!!!

Elaborate, because I'm not seeing what you're trying to do there, or why the need for the comment.

You're saying the PC has surpassed the 360 in terms of graphics/quality/whatever. Of course it has. PC hardware is constantly evolving and changing. People are always putting the latest graphic card/CPU/RAM in their PC.

The 360 has been out for 4 years now, and in terms of longevity it has held up pretty damn good. Not until now are we seeing the PC games surpass the consoles. I'm just saying if you had bought a $400 gaming PC when the 360 was released, it wouldn't even compare. Hell I'm not even sure you could buy a gaming PC 4 years ago for $400.

As for the PS3, I would still say the 360 is up to par with it. Devs have such a hard time putting together a product for it in the first place. The hardware is better in the PS3, but it cost much more originally.

Basically when you look at longevity you have to factor costs in at some point. I think the console developers are already working on their next console, well Microsoft surely is. They won't let the PC market get too far ahead.

Games ****ing hard btw... I tried the first boss on normal and and never got him under %5..had to switch to easy and I got him.I musta failed like 10 times atleast.

I like it so far... playing mage origin.

I really don't want to work tonight. ;(

You're saying the PC has surpassed the 360 in terms of graphics/quality/whatever. Of course it has. PC hardware is constantly evolving and changing. People are always putting the latest graphic card/CPU/RAM in their PC.

The 360 has been out for 4 years now, and in terms of longevity it has held up pretty damn good. Not until now are we seeing the PC games surpass the consoles. I'm just saying if you had bought a $400 gaming PC when the 360 was released, it wouldn't even compare. Hell I'm not even sure you could buy a gaming PC 4 years ago for $400.

As for the PS3, I would still say the 360 is up to par with it. Devs have such a hard time putting together a product for it in the first place. The hardware is better in the PS3, but it cost much more originally.

Basically when you look at longevity you have to factor costs in at some point. I think the console developers are already working on their next console, well Microsoft surely is. They won't let the PC market get too far ahead.

lol, the 360 was a dead duck from the off because MS screwed over everyone from Developers through to players by: -

1) Not throwing their weight behind HD-DVD as the next hard format and ship every 360 with one as standard. Given the fact that they had a year start over the PS3 & that HD-DVD was already out there as a cheaper format, they'd have probably persuaded rental firms like Blockbuster to side with HD-DVD over Blu-Ray given the larger install base and this would of probably lead to HD-DVD becoming the HD format winner. Instead they didn't commit because they thought they'd make a killing on downloads. They effectively ****ed over game developers because they removed the option for them to make use of the larger storage capabilities of the new HD technologies. Wonder why Mass Effect had generic areas? Look no further than the limitations of having to fit your entire game including sound, textures, models and engine on a DVD or two. Which brings us to: -

2) No guaranteed hard drive. This move completely screwed developers because on top of having to deal with the limitations of DVDs, they also robbed them of the opportunity to do more than load the game into RAM.

As for the comparison to a PC. A 360 is not an equivalent device in any respect. It plays games, it plays DVDs & not much else. A PC on the other hand is a gateway device for unlimited uses. One cannot draw a correlation between function Vs cost. As regards PC only just now surpassing the 360 I think you need to check again. The only thing the 360 has had over the PC is preferential access to certain games ahead of the PC (far less so in the last year and a half). Any game that has come to PC from 360 aside from a few lousy ports (Bully) has generally been a superior experience both in terms of how they play as well as appearance.

Back