Dragon Age: Origins

I am doing a human noble as a rogue at first. Seems a little weird given my noble blood, but many kids of rich parents turn to the darker side of things (i.e. shoplifting, safecracking, and back-stabbing :E).

I am doing a human noble as a rogue at first. Seems a little weird given my noble blood, but many kids of rich parents turn to the darker side of things (i.e. shoplifting, safecracking, and back-stabbing :E).

ya I wanna buy some blow get loaded on expensive cognac and smash daddy's chariot into the city square fountain

Human Noble Rogue named, what else? Sternn

My brother took the xbox till saturday and now I am going through withdrawals :(. Love this game!

I'm kinda 'cheating' in the game, in that I got the Limited Edition and am thusly using the bonus items that came with it, as well as the two other bonus items I got from simply pre-ordering the game!

Shame on me I know, but damnit, it's such a great game.

I also bought one of the DLCs(got the most expensive DLC for free with the Limited Edition)!

Absolutely loving the game so far, even on the XB360, whilst I can't compare it to the PC version and I'm sure the PC version is the best of the three(That's why my friends who have played both the console and PC versions have been telling me anyway), it's still a truly great game, easily one of the best RPGs of this generation no matter the platform.

Kudos to BioWare for a job truly well-done, and I hope they learn some of the things they've done right in DA:O and make use of it in MA2.

It is pretty good, but it still it still doesn't get everything right that the Infinity Engine games did. For example, spell effects. Plain-jane magic missiles in Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale have better spell effects and sounds than anything I've seen thus far in Dragon Age. There's a lot of other little stuff too... combat feels so "soft"... there's no feeling of impact... nothing like Minsc shouting as he gloriously gibs an enemy to bits while the screen shakes or, like I just mentioned, the WHAM of a magic missile.

I'm likely to be one of the most critical people you'll find, though. It's still the best game to come out since, uh... Mass Effect?

It's pretty easy to tell who has actually played some of those older RPG's and who hasn't judging by what they say about the difficulty. :p I am playing on normal and I'd say it's been bordering on too easy ever since acquiring a full party of actual characters that will be with you the entire game. Not a single death or reload as of yet. Playing it on a console hasn't be a ****ing nightmare, though. Oh god... oh god... just thinking about it is awful.

It's pretty easy to tell who has actually played some of those older RPG's and who hasn't judging by what they say about the difficulty. :p
Hahaha! Agreed. I still remember some of those ridiculous battles from the Baldur's Gate series that were mind-blowingly difficult to beat, but you did, the sigh of relief was incredible. Who knew mages were so TOUGH--mine certainly never got that tough...or maybe I just played my mages poorly. :)

Hahaha! Agreed. I still remember some of those ridiculous battles from the Baldur's Gate series that were mind-blowingly difficult to beat, but you did, the sigh of relief was incredible. Who knew mages were so TOUGH--mine certainly never got that tough...or maybe I just played my mages poorly. :)

The extremely bad AI of your companions didn't really help make the battles easier in the BG games.

Personally, as much as I love the BG games from the perspective of story etc, combat-wise I prefer the older Gold Box DnD games from SSI, which made use of the traditional turn-based battle system of the PnP DnD games.

Simply because I always felt overwhelmed in some of the larger battles in the BG games due to being real-time, it would have been better if your companions had a decent AI like in Dragon Age, so they could actually take care of themselves decently.

I own the boxes Atari released recently(the BG box that contains all BG games and expansions and the Icewind Dale box which contains all the ID games and expansions), should reinstall them sometimes, any good mods for them that you guys recommend? Especially concerning improving the AI of your companions etc!

If you feel it's too off-topic, I'd appreciate a PM at least!

Thanks!

Simply because I always felt overwhelmed in some of the larger battles in the BG games due to being real-time, it would have been better if your companions had a decent AI like in Dragon Age, so they could actually take care of themselves decently.
You know that all the BG games had a pause function to allow time to deal out tactical commands, as well as an option which would pause the game at the end of each tactical turn so as to make the game closer to the PnP experience?

You know that all the BG games had a pause function to allow time to deal out tactical commands, as well as an option which would pause the game at the end of each tactical turn so as to make the game closer to the PnP experience?

Yes, so did KoTOR1 and 2, it still didn't make'em turn-based RPGs.

I wish you could zoom out more, I can't see further than about 5m in front of my characters with the isometric view. Also, is there any way of setting movement formations?

They're pseudo-real time. Combat works by putting each person in initiative order, then they attack in sequence. It may not look like it, but that's how it works.

It's turn-based, only it's always on auto-pilot.

They're pseudo-real time. Combat works by putting each person in initiative order, then they attack in sequence. It may not look like it, but that's how it works.

Psuedo-realtime yes, but still they don't function the same as PnP turn-based RPGs, seeing as for example multiple people can be moving at the same time, something which is not possible in DnD PnP, at least not the old versions that I played.

In the end, I felt NWN2 and the BG games were ruined combat-wise by the extremely poor AI, and felt it would have been far better if they had actually maintained a hex-based turn-based combat system like the original DnD computer RPGs.

Note, I'm not saying one's better than the other, I just prefer the old games systems, which were pure turn-based.

Just bought it earlier. Can't play until tomorrow though, as my Xbox is not here.

god damn i wanna plaay ittt

Just bought it earlier. Can't play until tomorrow though, as my Xbox is not here.

god damn i wanna plaay ittt

I insist you register at the BioWare Social Network site and join my group, http://social.bioware.com/group/403/

DO IT, DO IT NAU!

I'm already competing with another bunch o' bastards that are trying force BioWare to make a multiplayer-DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, my group is promoting the fact that BioWare is one of the few major developers of Western-RPGs that are dedicated to Single-Player, and promoting the idea that it's better to make a dedicated multiplayer title and a dedicated singleplayer title as independent games of eachother, than to try to make an RPG that has both good single-player and multiplayer in one game, since IMO that makes the overall quality of the game degrade since you have to design the game for two very different methods of playing.

I insist you register at the BioWare Social Network site and join my group, http://social.bioware.com/group/403/

DO IT, DO IT NAU!

I'm already competing with another bunch o' bastards that are trying force BioWare to make a multiplayer-DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, my group is promoting the fact that BioWare is one of the few major developers of Western-RPGs that are dedicated to Single-Player, and promoting the idea that it's better to make a dedicated multiplayer title and a dedicated singleplayer title as independent games of eachother, than to try to make an RPG that has both good single-player and multiplayer in one game, since IMO that makes the overall quality of the game degrade since you have to design the game for two very different methods of playing.

I've been a Bioware forum member for some time and now the social site too. Look for the username Fairandbalancedfan.

I sent you a friends request, you dwarven scum.

Joined your group and accepted your friend request. I hang around Bioware forums quite a bit. There are a lot of very intelligent people on there, had many interesting discussions before.

I downloaded the character creator(which works surprisingly well on this laptop, hell, the spore creature creator worked worse) and made two characters. Isn't there a way to upload them to the social site or something?

One of them is a young aristocratic girl, looking out for the good of her family and for herself.

The other is a wizened old magi with a BEARD OF STEEL.

once I get about ten minutes into the game I'll have a whole backstory for my character thought up

I get too invested in this kind of shit.

Yeah, I've gone to some length making sure my character had a background and personality as close as possible to a character from the aSoIF books. Shes rambunctious, careless with her words, unsympathetic to the feelings of others, but not in a malicious way. Gets angry pretty easily and speaks her mind, consequences be damned. Also she steals shit, and has a pet dog named the same as the book's character's direwolf.

Also, some screenshots. Noting really spoilery, just some funny moments. Make sure you read my dialog options. I lol'd hard at the second one.

screenshot2009110418391.jpg

screenshot2009110423030.jpg

Nymeria is my pet dog, if you couldn't tell.

screenshot2009110423043.jpg

I'm rollin' with a 3-mage party now... makes me laugh.

I must say I was prepared to hate Alistair going into this game and thought I'd dump as soon as possible, but he's actually kinda cool.

I dont really like any of the characters so far. They're fantastically created characters, but I dont think I'd be friends with any of them in real life. I probably just killed the only one I would have liked. But he had to pay for what he did.

Yes, I always seem to manage to choose the dialogue that pisses off the most people in my party as possible. Then I lavish them with gifts and all is a-okay!

I still havent figured out how to give gifts.

Oh, do you just drop it in a slot like equipment then?

I actually still haven't started the game properly, decided to delete my saves, am completing the flash game now so I can get all the extra unlocks from that!*Geek*

Good for you, man. I got into the 3rd part of that Flash game and became so frigging bored/annoyed that I stopped. The items don't look that great anyway. :)

I've been replaying BG2 since I found out that it will run on Win 7 (I had real problems getting it to work under Vista). It is a great game, but pretty much every encounter is one where in you invariably die repeatedly until you figure out the best tactical approach to take, which is fairly frustrating at times, esp given the suicidal nature of your AI buddies unless strictly monitored (yes I know I could tweak the scripts, but it's an ass). I'm presently rescuing the bard from outer planes (or whatever) and the mission is proving to be one long rape tunnel of fight/narrow victory/recovery/rinse repeat...:dozey:

See below: -

Acepilot is right. The underlying mechanics are exactly the same. With D&D everything occurs based on sequence within the round. Naturally with P&P if both a player and monster have initiative of 2, one will be resolved firstly, but in effect both actions are occurring at the same time. It is entirely possible in old school BG system D&D for 2 archers to shoot and kill each other, at the same time.

Anyone playing the 360 version? Waiting for the ps3 version myself

EG hates the 360 version.

Yet I've heard the opposite, even from one of the BioWare devs, who said he felt the 360 version was the better(of the two console versions)

I don't really consider Eurogamer all that good for reviews anyway.

End story according to most reviews: If you've enjoyed previous BioWare games like say KoTOR 1 and 2(on console anyway), you'll enjoy Dragon Age: Origins, no question about it.

Whilst combat is surely more cumbersome to manage in the console versions than the PC versions, it's still no more cumbersome than the system used in the KoTOR games, so if you played and liked KoTOR1, you should feel right at home here.

And EG even missed out on at least two major options available to the console users when it comes to combat, which they edited in and admit in the article.

Yet I've heard the opposite, even from one of the BioWare devs, who said he felt the 360 version was the better(of the two console versions)

I have said it before and I'll say it again: don't believe what devs say. They need to sell the game.

And what the EG review basically says to me is: if you can play the PC version, do that.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: don't believe what devs say. They need to sell the game.

And what the EG review basically says to me is: if you can play the PC version, do that.

Yes, and that's what other reviews have said as well, even reviews that give the XB360 version 9/10.

However, EG for some reason thinks the console versions are so awful they deserve 6/10, something which I do not all agree with, if so, KoTOR1, both the PC and XB1 versions should get like maybe 5/10, with Mass Effect on the 360 and PC getting 4/10.

It is two seperate things to say the PC version is the best of the three, and to say that the console versions are average games(which EG does).

Back