"Duke Nukem Forever physics surpass HL2"

NikolaX

Tank
Reaction score
GamesIndustry.biz has posted its impressions from a preview look at DNF's "Meqon" Physics engine, which is being used to power the physics behind the Unreal Engine game Duke Nukem Forever:

"In a short but hugely impressive real-time demo, a room is almost completely demolished using a weapon that fires tennis-ball sized projectiles. In the first section of the demo, glass panels shatter realistically and fragile boxes full of objects suspended from the ceiling are smashed, leaving jagged corners hanging on ropes while the contents smash to the floor.

In another section, a tiled wall is destroyed realistically, with tiles breaking and popping off the wall when they're hit sufficiently hard, while further demonstrations of the engine's prowess include human shaped "rag doll" models in glass boxes, which react realistically to the environment around them being damaged, and most impressively of all, a completely interactive piece of cloth suspended between poles - which billows and stretches when it's shot, and can even be filled with balls like a hammock.

The demonstration goes far beyond the rigid-body physics which has impressed so many players in games like Half-Life 2, and according to Meqon CTO Dennis Gustafsson, every effect is entirely real-time - with even the smashing of fragile objects being generated on the fly, rather than happening along "fault lines" inserted by artists. "

link:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7322

Suuuure.....
What next? the game's "nearly done" again? :LOL:

All I have to say... is that I loved the Meqon physics demo posted a long time ago. That thing simply rocked! I had the most fun with the pyramid formed of small boxes. It was so damn realistic!

At this point, I really dont want to hear anything else about this games besides release date information.

We are not talking about the GAME, talking about Meqon Physics engine.
and it will be w00tage!

lol, this sounds like nothing after hearing about UE3s physics engine.:)

NikolaX said:
We are not talking about the GAME, talking about Meqon Physics engine.
and it will be w00tage!

So? Physics engines are huge parts of the games.

I can't belive this surpasses the source engine......

Raziaar said:
All I have to say... is that I loved the Meqon physics demo posted a long time ago. That thing simply rocked! I had the most fun with the pyramid formed of small boxes. It was so damn realistic!

where can i get this demo? it sounds awesome

Sieg said:

Don't worry. By the time it comes out, the next Sesame Street game will have more advanced Physics than it <grins wickedly>

Watch Elmo dump Ernie's body in Grouch-O's trashcan with realistic, lifelike ragdoll effects! With the latest advancements in smell-o-vision technology, you can smell the rotting flesh and thick, matted down trash!

so when was this news from then??? last update i saw was several years ago.

Its not gonna happen//will be the worst game ever released...Yes...worst...

Even worse than Deer Hunter!!!

Raziaar said:
Don't worry. By the time it comes out, the next Sesame Street game will have more advanced Physics than it <grins wickedly>

Watch Elmo dump Ernie's body in Grouch-O's trashcan with realistic, lifelike ragdoll effects! With the latest advancements in smell-o-vision technology, you can smell the rotting flesh and thick, matted down trash!
oooh a tickle me elmo ragdoll to beat the big bird out of.

-

I think if this news for DNF came say January last year, it might have been impressive, but its just sooo easy to use a fancy physics engine these days in a game that well, its not impressive, its expected in a game now, and shouldn't be its selling point.

Tickle Me Elmo

A very modest lady applied for a job at the factory where they made "Tickle me Elmo dolls". It was Friday and almost quitting time and hurriedly the boss told her to report for work on Monday. He quickly explained to her she would be stationed on the assembly line just before the dolls were packed into boxes.
On Monday they started up the line and within twenty minutes had to shut it down because one worker couldn't keep up. The boss went down the line to find the problem. The new employee was very busy trying to do her part but she had a bunch of dolls waiting for her. Closer examination showed she was sewing little cloth bags containing two walnuts in the appropriate place on the dolls.

The boss could not control his laughter and said, "Lady, I said to give each doll Two----Test----Tickles."

As long as it realistically simulates strippers breast shaking just when you hand them money...I'm happy.

Interesting. But i hate when people compare. That engine will be better then hl2's and hl3's will be better then that. Its the same cycle over and over again.

Of course.
If they expect to go gold in some point between the next 20 and 40 years i will have better physics indeed.

Yeah....that demo of the physics engine was very nice and well-done.

I still stand by my prediction that HL 3 will be out before this game sees the light of day.

I dunno I played with some of the demos and it doesn't really seem all that different from HL2's physics. I mean ragdolls are ragdolls right?

Sieg said:
Why not? It was gonna happen soon enough. If it does, then fair play to them. Doesn't mean DNF is gonna be good.
Or released within our lifetimes.

The Dark Elf said:
oooh a tickle me elmo ragdoll to beat the big bird out of.

-

I think if this news for DNF came say January last year, it might have been impressive, but its just sooo easy to use a fancy physics engine these days in a game that well, its not impressive, its expected in a game now, and shouldn't be its selling point.

yup, they missed the boat on having physics as a selling point.
now its just best if they can...somehow..miraclously release the game and maybe some of us die hard DN fans will give the game a chance.

As games progress it'll become harder and harder to notice the difference between physics engines, and I don't expect to notice huge differences with this one.

Though realistically simulated water sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, but will DNF physics be able to match up with HL4? I hear they're expected out at about the same time.

Oo didn't you hear Kupartist, they said that there going to delay DNF about a month before HL4 comes out so there shooting for around HL5 now.

mortiz said:
As games progress it'll become harder and harder to notice the difference between physics engines, and I don't expect to notice huge differences with this one.

Though realistically simulated water sounds pretty cool.
The more realistic the better, in some ways, but you're probably right that there's a cut-off point.
And I can't think of a single situation where realistically simulated water could possibly be useful to gameplay.

el Chi said:
The more realistic the better, in some ways, but you're probably right that there's a cut-off point.
And I can't think of a single situation where realistically simulated water could possibly be useful to gameplay.

Squirt Guns!

You fragged el Chi with 20 points of squirt damage. pwnage!

blahblahblah said:
Squirt Guns!

You fragged el Chi with 20 points of squirt damage. pwnage!
That's the difference between you and me - I lack vision :)

el Chi said:
That's the difference between you and me - I lack vision :)

Dude, cheese and toast. If thats not vision, I don't know what is. :eek:

PS - I've never heard of cheese and toast until I saw it on this forum.

Meh, they're all talk, no results.
I remember when DNF was going to be better than Quake 2.
It's got a worse record than TF2.

When they actual produce something I can play, then maybe I will be interested. Until then they should shut up and stop getting all the poor saps' hopes raised.

Back