Dystopia June Closure

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Mod-scene behemoth Dystopia has a few screenshots and words for us to wrap up June.

Everyone likes real live in game screenshots don't they? We'd like to introduce you to what could be an old friend for many of the Dystopian faithful. The below screenshots are taken from the freshly renamed dys_Broadcast (previously known during it's public beta as dys_RadioShack). This is the handy work of Feanix who has joined the ranks of Team Dystopia.
[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
In the last couple of updates we've mentioned that we're playtesting new implants for Version 1. I'm excited to announce an implant which has gone through our design, development and test cycle and come out a winner; Wired Reflexes.

This body implant is centered around enhancing the user's nervous system, providing them with the ultra dexterous fingers which allow for a number of advantages. Cheif [sic] among these are faster weapon switching and reduced reloading times.

They've also brought tidings of arranged Dystopia Pickup matches for each of the following regions: Europe, Australiasia, and North America. For more information on that, the mod, and download links, visit the Dystopia website.

dystopia, havent heard from them in ages. looks ok. there maps arn't that impressive, but i know the mod's good because of the gameplay. if i had to rate them, id give them a 6.5 ... but that's my 2 cents.

-dodo

People still play this mod? I thought it was dead.

It got a lot of awards, but why don't people play it?

Because it's boring as hell?

edit
Mod-scene behemoth Dystopia has a few screenshots and words for us to wrap up June.
Behemoth? er...on steam stats it says there's 30 people playing. By source mod standards yeah i suppose that's a behemoth because the source mod community is tiny and crap, but by regular standards that's a terribly unpopular minnow of a mod.

Yeah, Dystopia is fun the first 5 rounds. Then it's just rinse, repeat.

Although it was inventive, and even beautiful, it just felt a little too much like generic team deathmatch, in my opinion.

-Angry Lawyer

Our peak concurrent player number generally falls between 90 and 100.

Like other source total conversions are finding, creating a top quality mod on hl2 takes time and effort. Like everyone else we're battling with an sdk which hasn't been updated in nearly a year.

We had a lot of positive response from the demo, especially from those people who have checked out the 3 official maps and the other excellent 3rd party maps. Just looking at the figure of 2.547 million player minutes in the last month is a big moral boost. That's 4 years of play time in the last 30 days.

Version 1 of Dystopia brings a swag of new features and addresses a number of issues which have shown up in the 9 months that we've had a playable public release of our mod.

dys-Fuzzy said:
Like other source total conversions are finding, creating a top quality mod on hl2 takes time and effort. Like everyone else we're battling with an sdk which hasn't been updated in nearly a year.

Nuff said.

Magic. Mods only die out when their developers decide to stop addressing the problems.

-Angry Lawyer

Is it just me or are only one of those picture "real live in game"?

yeah dystopia is second most popular mod, heres the proof http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=1111&s=1

Fuzzy I really think you should try to add HDR to some of the maps, it might be a lot of work but it makes it look that much better. Imagine if the core in vaccine looked the same as in episode 1 :eek: or at least get the team to make more reflective textures and add more light and dark contrast to the maps because they look kind of bland...again the citadel in ep1 is the best example.

anyway looking forward to V1

I played it, I don't know why I stopped, probably because there wasn't enough maps for it. Nothing wrong with the gameplay, I think it's a problem with games in general. There is very few, especially FPS games, with any ground breaking inventive multiplayer modes. Most boil down to teamdeathmatch, even if it called objective based, all that matters is you kill the enemy, again and again.

Will download v1 when it comes out, should be good fun.

Better news titles plz commander!

"Dystopia June Closure" - I thought the mod was closing down or something.

I never got into this mod at all. It's too deathmatchy for me. Everyone just bombs about the place in random directions.

Games that i currently play online are Empire Earth 2 and BF2. There is something about BF2 that feels like its not just another DM or TDM. Oh yeah! Its the teamwork and vehicles + objectives. And the rank system.

smokeythebear said:
yeah dystopia is second most popular mod, heres the proof http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=1111&s=1

Fuzzy I really think you should try to add HDR to some of the maps, it might be a lot of work but it makes it look that much better. Imagine if the core in vaccine looked the same as in episode 1 :eek: or at least get the team to make more reflective textures and add more light and dark contrast to the maps because they look kind of bland...again the citadel in ep1 is the best example.

anyway looking forward to V1

Dystopia is the 4th most popular source mod.

http://steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html

I found when I played that some people were very very good at it and those that were new had no chance. The respawn took forever meaning beginners couldn't get used to the way it played; they get nailed, waiiiiiiiiiiit, respawn, get gunned doen very quickly, waiiiiit...rinse repeat.

Similar to empires really, not easy to play.

We (the gaming community) need good gameplay, that's how a mod will succeed.

So to the dude who commented that 'you need more HDR', dream on, you'll find that isn't enough to make the game good.

Angry Lawyer said:
Although it was inventive, and even beautiful, it just felt a little too much like generic team deathmatch, in my opinion.
My thoughts exactly. I think the fact that the mod developers were, and I assume still are, planning on charging for it really turned a lot of people off as well. If I'm going to drop money on a mod then it better be something exceptional and not just a minor variation on the standard team deathmatch formula.

Mountain Man said:
My thoughts exactly. I think the fact that the mod developers were, and I assume still are, planning on charging for it really turned a lot of people off as well. If I'm going to drop money on a mod then it better be something exceptional and not just a minor variation on the standard team deathmatch formula.

Although I just posted I saw this and had to comment. If the people who made this mod think that they could charge for it then they really are in la-la land. Just because mods require more effort to produce these days doesn't mean that people are going to be more willing to pay. Especially if as Mountain Man says the mod is "just a minor variation on the standard team deathmatch formula".

Isn't this the mod that released a 'demo' version because they anticipated that Valve would buy them out and they would go commercial? Lol.

Or maybe I'm thinking of another one.

smokeythebear said:
Fuzzy I really think you should try to add HDR to some of the maps, it might be a lot of work but it makes it look that much better.

We've been waiting for the sdk update, which will give modders access to Valve's hdr system. After playing EP1 we're also convinced that we can make good use of it.

Rupertvdb said:
I found when I played that some people were very very good at it and those that were new had no chance. The respawn took forever meaning beginners couldn't get used to the way it played; they get nailed, waiiiiiiiiiiit, respawn, get gunned doen very quickly, waiiiiit...rinse repeat.

That is something that we're addressing. The major issue was that many admins ran 24 player servers, all our testing of the demo had been focused on a max of around 20. We've implemented a few changes to the spawning system, in Version 1 you won't be waiting for 30 seconds to spawn. The other major improvement is that players will now spec their team mates while waiting to spawn. This helps new players learn from the experienced guys.

Mountain Man said:

We never planned on charging for it. You've beleived stupid rumours which blew up after I answered a question on our forum basically saying "yes, we would love the chance to work on a full retail version of Dystopia".

Dystopia the hl2 mod will always be free.

Rupertvdb said:
Although I just posted I saw this and had to comment. If the people who made this mod think that they could charge for it then they really are in la-la land.

We've never thought we could charge for Dystopia while it's a hl2 mod.

diluted said:
Isn't this the mod that released a 'demo' version because they anticipated that Valve would buy them out and they would go commercial? Lol.

We called it a demo because it was a demonstration. It's not a beta, as we run a closed beta system. We needed a word to explain to people that this first version was only an example of what we were aiming for.

I think the problem with mods like this these days is the modders think up the gameplay for these things and think they have that down and then only worry about the graphics and presentation to finish before release.

Thats why we are 2 years out and not a single noticeable mod has come out.

These guys gotta get it through their heads that you get the basic gameplay down with rudimentary graphics and release that and then add content and graphics over time. Modders now for some reason think they are actual developers and are not taking advantage of the pros of developing in the mod community.

You release your gameplay ideas and then tweak and change and add over a period of time based on user feedback.. thats how mods work. Stop thinking your game developers and bring yourselves back down to reality.

Not necessarily directed at you Dystopia guys since you were one of the first major mods released but it applies to you as well probably.

poo? said:
You release your gameplay ideas and then tweak and change and add over a period of time based on user feedback.. thats how mods work. Stop thinking your game developers and bring yourselves back down to reality.

When members of the hl2 modding scene stop slamming every media release saying things like "there [sic] maps arn't [sic] that impressive", I'm sure modders will be more eager to release WIP stuff.

Until that happens, I think you'll see a continuation of teams chosing to do closed betas and focus on releasing to the public when they feel their work is ready to face the usual bout of comments from the highly critical hl2 modding scene.

I like this mod :) Great to hear of new things to come. This really is still the best Source mod available at the moment.
Hope the work is up to the usual high standard. Only got praise for these guys :D

Beerdude26 said:
Yeah, Dystopia is fun the first 5 rounds. Then it's just rinse, repeat.
This could a: be said for just about every DM type game... and b: if that were an issue, CounterStrike would not exist. ;)

DuB said:
I like this mod :) Great to hear of new things to come. This really is still the best Source mod available at the moment.
Hope the work is up to the usual high standard. Only got praise for these guys :D

This could a: be said for just about every DM type game... and b: if that were an issue, CounterStrike would not exist. ;)

So ture. The thing is that CS is fun and Dystopia isnt. Well CS is not fun anymore it got repetitive (for me).

I agree with the fuzz on alot, though there was rumor about dystopia going retail for a long time, and dys did nothing to refute that, so thats how rumors get started. then when its called a demo, that just adds to it.

people get way to serious over modding, and really got into the hype of hl2 modding. i remember before hl2 came out people were claiming you could code real physical tornados and all that nonsense.

dys looks great, though i don't think cyberpunk is a fad worth exploiting, it was very professional from the start. Thats the problem i think. it was so poplished and so much hype made over screenshots, not gameplay. when the game came out peeps were disapointed, and you never get a second chance to make a first impression. people in the hl2 modding community are picky little bitches about media releases, but they got what they had comming to them, everyone has focused on looks and not gameplay, so theres not many mods out there making it big. what did make it big/ gary's, the mod that didn
't give a shit about anything BUT gameplay!!!!!!!

dys shoulda started as sp, but its hard making a source mod, really hard. maybe one day u3 will come along and fix it allllll.

dys-Fuzzy said:
We never planned on charging for it. You've beleived stupid rumours which blew up after I answered a question on our forum basically saying "yes, we would love the chance to work on a full retail version of Dystopia".

way to sound like an elitist polesmoke.

there are two approaches to releasing a mod: dystopia's and Fotress-forever's. One believes in slow leaking of gameplay when runing the risk of boring the audience in terms of a though of "is this all there is?", when FF's runs the risk of losing folks due to assurances from the devs that everything is progressing and be patient and when we release it is the full monte.

To tell you the truth i dont think one can say which approach is better, although we are now seeing the fallout from dys's approach. If FF comes out as a full and complete kick ass experience - and rewarding the community for their patience, then i can see that approach as being the better one.

We shall see. And for the record, this is not OMG FF owns Dys (considering the fact that ppl who follow the ff forums can guess who i am from this name), I am rather just genuinely intrigued at the potential decesions during development.

At the end of the day all we want is a fun and stable product with a great community - and if you can deliver, i/we thank you.

Yeah and if you think making a mod for U3 will be easier than Source you have another thing coming.

^Ben said:
Yeah and if you think making a mod for U3 will be easier than Source you have another thing coming.

not on the content creation side. models and such will require more maps and polies to reach that level of quality, but if what they say is right, in that old interview, about the game building in the editor, that aspect probably will be.

tools always make life easier, they should, thats their job. like spllit poly ring tools.

And the old quantity / quality debate rages ever more.

Mods becoming the product of streamlined assembly lines, every peice made the same; or a hand carved beautiful design with intricate personal touch.

No matter how you split it, art is just as important as the game design, and must meet the gameplay on equal levels to acheive the kind of quality players expect. These content tools will only forge the next generation of development into a predictably linear pattern, leaving quality mods in the dust while CS clones take the throne.

Anyway, looking good.

poo? said:
Thats why we are 2 years out and not a single noticeable mod has come out.

No love for Empires or any of the other mods out there? Maybe you're being too close minded.

polyguns said:
dys looks great, though i don't think cyberpunk is a fad worth exploiting, it was very professional from the start. Thats the problem i think. it was so poplished and so much hype made over screenshots, not gameplay.

I agree. The mod definitely looks good, but I feel that they didn't do enough to establish their gameplay as more than team deathmatch. I believe this is what Valve was talking about when they wanted mods to work on getting unique gameplay and releasing that in a workable state before making the mod pretty.

Its not as simple as "releasing an innovative gameplay" and "adding graphics later" -> source is not as "open" as you think to drastic new stuff => we all want to do it that way.

As for the 2 year duration average for big mods => the problem is they all have ,the "lets have some fun and build this game, and see what people think", attitude yet the expectations are so high these days, you're game needs to almost be AAA or you get burnt down.
I see mods media releases getting bashed for all kinds of reasons.
For instance i've seen Empires get burnt for having laggy vehicle code in their first beta release (if you created loads of vehicles..)! Or the background story being "bland" WTF.. (wasnt it about the gameplay...???)

Its all for the fun of creating stuff, and hoping to give people a good time, yet production has scaled up due to technology & expectations.
We all say the same thing over and over: "its all about the gameplay, not the graphics", yet if a mod has less quality graphics, we bash, disgust and throw it away based on the lack of graphics alone.
Why do you think AAA games invest so much money in graphics... => we kid ourselves => "graphics sell the game, gameplay keeps you playing.."

Keep up the good work Dystopia! and Good luck with release 1 -> i for sure will try it out! :)

Whats with all you people bagging this mod out? Its the best mod ever! And wtf? The maps look AWESOME.

I love this mod just cant wait for v1.

Looking foward to the V1 release and please ignore the naysayers Fuzzy.

Have to say, despite the harsh critiques, I have huge amounts of respect for the Dystopia team for getting things together so quickly and actually producing a mod. Far beyond what most are capable of, so forgive my criticism, a really good job has been done.

edit: Just saw someone suggesting people complain if graphics aren't up to scratch. I think that this is true in some cases, but they tend to be the vocal few rather than representing a majority opinion. I personally like to see a little flair, but I want gameplay to be the focus. An example: UFO, anyone remember that? I love that game, think it's marvelous. I think you could probably play it on a phone these days yet it's still better than most games that come out.

The thing with media is people expect it to blow them away these days. It's a fact, if people think it looks sub par they will let you know, because at that stage that is all they have to judge you mod on.

The best thing for a mod to do is just come out of nowhere, releasing very little media before hand, focusing on the gameplay rather than making people happy by letting them ogle at assets.

Unfortunatly like others have said, mod teams feel pressured to work on graphics just as much as gameplay (if not more) because of the amount of crits we get from hyper critical people from the HL2 community. We aren't developers but people expect us to produce the same quality work, and make sure they are heard if we don't.

Media is what's slowly killed off the original modding spirit.

-Angry Lawyer

Back