Dystopia Version 1 Interview

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Let me tell you something: Dystopia's got it exactly right. I type this from the driver's seat of my time-travelling volvo, and it's all true - in the future, corporate goons are forever equipping themselves with implants and shooty weaponry to fight punk revolutionaries over the scraps of a dark, dirty, neon-smeared society, and the internet has turned into a giant network of brightly coloured tron-style grids upon which users can battle for supremacy by 'jacking in'. True story. I had my electrodes fitted yesterday.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
[br]Back in 2007 (losers!), the Dystopia team are nearing completion and have just released some screenshots and this interview with fansite Mainframe, containing a full rundown of Version 1's features, which include new maps, a ranking system and a whole new game-mode called 'Phistball'.[br]The interview is available in both mp3 and ogg formats from the Dystopia homepage - be sure to check it out! In other news, I can confirm that parking lots in the future look exactly the same.

/waves

I knew you'd say that. Nothing ever changes around here! :D

Dy-sto-pia?

Christ, have I been living under a rock or has Dystopia just disappeared from the stoplight for a while?

Dy-sto-pia?

Christ, have I been living under a rock or has Dystopia just disappeared from the stoplight for a while?
Nobody liked the game. The game died.

12 people playing online. Mod failure.

Nobody liked the game. The game died.

12 people playing online. Mod failure.

Loved the game. Moved on.

The moment the next version is released, ill start playing it again.

Some of those weapons need a reskin imo. There doesnt seem to be enough variation or light/dark contrast in the palette. Its probably also worth sticking to neutral colour schemes for the guns. Colours such as grey, yellow, black. These are not team specific colours. Infact, I would go so far as to say that for base colours, those weapons should be variations of black and grey, with coloured details - think Lancher from gears of war: grey with neon detailing. THats the sort of style I picture the dys weapons having.

i play it once every new version is released, i'd like to see this mod take off.

dystopia has had a pretty dedicated community going on for a while, and I seriously don't think you should count it out. They've just recently opened up the V1 beta to supporters, so not that many people have been playing it recently.

However the immpressions of V1 have been pretty amazing. The fact is that this mod is a very complete package, and yet it still has a lot of growth. Like commercial games, V1 is passed to point of getting all of the features in, and will be (because that's what the supporters are doing) playtested to perfection. No other HL multiplayer mod can really say that.

Fun mod to get in a play alittle. Ill check out version 1.

I'll play. I hope it's better than the original.

The original... One of those games I want to like, but there's so much stuff that makes me not.

The game is mad fun. I just dropped off and played some other games for a while, and kind of forgot about good ol' Dystopia. I bet alot of new people stray away because of the fact they are too lazy to read the manual. Oh well, when V1 comes out, I'm sure it will spark with alot of people again. I started playing it again recently...goes to show me that I lost all my skills from lack of playing!

And is that new weapons I see from the screenshots?

Dystopia is great but their 'demo' release of the mod didn't have enough content to keep it going. Oh and the maps were crazy difficult to understand unless you've played on them 20 times.

But it still stands as my favourite mod. I'm downloading version 1 the moment it's released.

Dystopia is great but their 'demo' release of the mod didn't have enough content to keep it going. Oh and the maps were crazy difficult to understand unless you've played on them 20 times.

But it still stands as my favourite mod. I'm downloading version 1 the moment it's released.

I know that feeling...I'm still going into levels thinking.."OK..where is the objective again?!"

We've tried to address that issue using a few things, the objective markers (on the hud and radar) are now more distinguished, plus we've got a overhead map so you can see how to get to them, and we've also added sub-objectives (in meatspace and cyberspace) to help you help your team.

gimme gimme

Dystopia was the one multi player mod I did play a lot of. (Infact it might have been the only MP mod I ever played regularly)

Sure, like me, a lot of people stopped playing it after a while, but you have to remember it was the "demo" version and not that much content was released for it. So after playing the same maps over and over again, it makes sense that a fair few people dropped out.

I can't wait for the new content and will be right back in there when I get my dirty mitts on it.
There really aren't that many released mods out there that can boast the same amount of quality custom content as Dystopia. (Empires and Eternal Silence are two other mods I can think of, that could)
Also the style of Dystopia in all it's cyberpunk glory, is also something that attracts me to this game and makes it fairly unique.

I hope that this release attracts a few more people to this game as it sure is deserved of more attention.

[edit]Interview: Mother****ing lazer snakes on a mother ****ing lazer plane! :cheese:

I have to say, actually, that I really like Dystopia. I used to play it all the time. Still would, if I had time. D:

Loved the demo when it first came out. But I got bored with the one map and quit for a while and when I came back to play some of the new maps each one seemed like a linear, twisting line of choke points. You would spawn, run to the point where the teams were deadlocked, and maybe kill a couple guys before you were cut down by the solid wall of weapon spam. It would go on like that the whole time. I hope V1 is better.

Loved the demo when it first came out. But I got bored with the one map and quit for a while and when I came back to play some of the new maps each one seemed like a linear, twisting line of choke points. You would spawn, run to the point where the teams were deadlocked, and maybe kill a couple guys before you were cut down by the solid wall of weapon spam. It would go on like that the whole time. I hope V1 is better.
This pretty much explains how I feel about the mod. Moar pathways :O

Back