easter eggs

porus

Reaction score
after beating HL2 the first time, i went back from the beginning and am looking for easter eggs. I have found three so far in the first three chapters. I hope these will amuse some of you.
1. on the bulletin board in Kleiner's lab there is a note that reads: "find more watermelon for Lamarr" (Lamarr is Kleiner's pet headcrab)
d1_trainstation_050002.jpg

2. on that same bulletin board is a drawing of "uncle Kleiner" which is signed by Alyx--obviously this was drawn when she was much younger.
d1_trainstation_050003.jpg

3. and the best one yet: on the dam in water hazard is a small grate with the letters "SPQR" printed on them. For those of you who do not understand the significance of these letters, allow me to explain. SPQR is an allusion to the Romans. During the empire, the Romans printed SPQR on just about everything. In latin, it stands for senatus populusque romanus. In english, that literally means "for the senate and people of Roma." It was intended to promote unity in the empire between the plebs and the politicians. And why is this an easter egg? Because City 17 is located somewhere in Russia, which the Romans never conquered, and it is printed on a rather modern device that the Romans never possesed.
d1_canals_130009.jpg

i will update this page as i find some more, and feel free to post your own easter eggs that you found--but remember to include a screenshot.

BTW: this is my first post on these boards.....hi.

The third easter egg you listed is quite clever.

BWT, welcome to the forums!

yeah, the first two are more like things that are interesting but you might miss if you arent looking for them, the third one is the only real easter egg.

Very nice find, man! Talk about an entrance to the forums! I can tell you're going to be a helpful member of this community, not like some of the people who've joined....
Those were interesting. I had noticed the first two, but the third one, even if I found it, wouldn't have rung a bell with me. That's why I love Valve - They put so much time into adding little tidbits like that to actually give a background to the characters.

well done mate, i woulda know spqr but i didnt find it lol

Number 3 is a dandy. Thanks for the background, and the find! I'm a huge fan of Easter Eggs. Let's find more!

I was told that there was a picture of Mel Gibson on one of the bulletin boards. Im looking for it right now.

and i allways thought spqr means "sono porci questi romani "(all pigs those romans).

you can see this all over in modern rome; each manhole for example is signed with s.p.q.r....

and im not sure about city 17 located somewhere in the former ussr;
from the architecture and the surroundings probably more in south europe, near the mediterrean.

im pretty sure it is in Russia. first of all, there is russian writing on most of the posters and such, as well as the train to "Nova Prospekt." Once again, let me explain myself--Nova Prospekt was a particularly infamous gulag located in siberia. A gulag was a type of labor/concentration camp for criminals in Russia--and once you got sent to a gulag, you never came back.

edit: of course just because there is a train to Nova Prospekt doesnt mean you are in Russia--granted. Nevertheless, that acronym is printed on a modern covering--and even if City 17 is in Italy or nearby, the Romans would not have printed SPQR on a device they did not have. Therefore it remains an easter egg, despite the exact location of City 17.

oh and on a side note (may include spoiler):

who thinks G-Man is not human? I do. I mean, listen to the way he talks, and look at his eyes. And what about the way he appears and disapears in the beginning and end of the game, not to mention the way he manipulates time. He must be some sort of alien.

Not really easter eggs, but some cool things I noticed.

HEV machine from HL1:
hev.jpg

A clock in the train station. Notice there are no hands.
clock.jpg

And hello.

porus said:
im pretty sure it is in Russia. first of all, there is russian writing on most of the posters and such, as well as the train to "Nova Prospekt." Once again, let me explain myself--Nova Prospekt was a particularly infamous gulag located in siberia. A gulag was a type of labor/concentration camp for criminals in Russia--and once you got sent to a gulag, you never came back.

"Criminals"? More like political opponants to Stalin. Most of the people sent there were military and political figures that Stalin, fealing threatened, put away through rigged trials.

And yes, I would guess you're in Russia.

Quelaar

One of the female rebels says "Sometimes, I dream about Cheese". I'm not sure if its random, or if it only happens at one point, but she was the one on the other side of the fence on the level where you first find the Hopper mines.

nice find grhmplmtr! you too [Dragoon]! keep posting your easter eggs!

SPQR Senatus Populusque Romanus (Latin: the Senate and the People of Rome)
SPQR Small Profit, Quick Return
SPQR Syndicat de la Presse Quotidienne Régionale (France)

Used acronym finder so could also mean. ^ I didn't know all the history about the roman thing so good job on the history channel . Here's a sort of an easter egg......Explains a little about the combine...

Attachments

• d1_canals_100000.jpg
    d1_canals_100000.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,180
er guys #3 is just some random texture that was slotted into the game. It doesnt mean anything. If what the first poster said is correct, then thats way way way too obscure for an 'easter egg'. If anything its just an inconsistency.

A note on that clock: Normally, clocks use "IIII" for 4, not the usual "IV". This is probably nothing more than a lack of knowledge on the subject, but it is kind of interesting.

[Dragoon] said:
A note on that clock: Normally, clocks use "IIII" for 4, not the usual "IV". This is probably nothing more than a lack of knowledge on the subject, but it is kind of interesting.

No, the correct use of roman numerals is "IV" for four ;)

Quelaar

If you keep asking cheese loving guys they come up with the phrase "When this is all over, I'm gonna MATE!" I laughed so hard... :p

[Dragoon] said:
I know that, but most clocks still use "IIII".

What do you mean still? I've never seen IIII used anywhere, even on a clock... Course if you've got a pic I would stand corrected, but until then...

That kleiner drawing was beautiful in a sentimental sort of way.

;(

DreamThrall said:
What do you mean still? I've never seen IIII used anywhere, even on a clock... Course if you've got a pic I would stand corrected, but until then...

Upon further investigation, I've found that it varies from clock to clock (IIII being more common, though) - so it's not all that unusual for that clock to use IV.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/roman.htm

DreamThrall said:
Is Kleiner his last name or first name? I don't think I ever called any of my uncles by their last name....

Its probably his last name.

DreamThrall said:
I wouldnt even trust a pic, nowadays, unless im holding it in my hand, i dont believe anything over the net...

boy*N.F.i* said:
I wouldnt even trust a pic, nowadays, unless im holding it in my hand, i dont believe anything over the net...
To be honest, I'm really not that worried about it...

porus said:
3. and the best one yet: on the dam in water hazard is a small grate with the letters "SPQR" printed on them. For those of you who do not understand the significance of these letters, allow me to explain. SPQR is an allusion to the Romans. During the empire, the Romans printed SPQR on just about everything. In latin, it stands for senatus populusque romanus. In english, that literally means "for the senate and people of Roma." It was intended to promote unity in the empire between the plebs and the politicians. And why is this an easter egg? Because City 17 is located somewhere in Russia, which the Romans never conquered, and it is printed on a rather modern device that the Romans never possesed.
d1_canals_130009.jpg

i will update this page as i find some more, and feel free to post your own easter eggs that you found--but remember to include a screenshot.

BTW: this is my first post on these boards.....hi.

WOW crap you're right, it looks like Russia, as now you have reminded me cuz i was born there, the buildings look Russian, but the other stuff doesnt look like it would be in a Russian suburb town.

porus said:
yeah, the first two are more like things that are interesting but you might miss if you arent looking for them, the third one is the only real easter egg.
Thank you! Not only for providing some very interesting easter eggs (baby Alyx's picture made me go all gooey - daaawww) but also for proving that a person can be intelligent and have a low postcount - too many people round here seem to believe the two are mutually exclusive.

Dr. Kleiner's full name is Issac Kleiner. Something kind of funny is when Eli says to Dr. Kleiner "Nice work, Izzy." after Alyx is transported to Black Mesa East.

Many buildings in City 17 are very similar to so called "new developments" in Soviet cities. Check out the pictures.

BTW there was a quite mysterious city named Arzamas-16 in Russia. It used to be so secret that it was not placed on any map of USSR. And there was The Research Institute of Experimental Physics:) Google the rest if you are intrigued...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 942
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 867
Haha, I was just looking through the cache files for the resistance girl talking about Cheese and I came across something one of the the resistance says when you die.

"Doctor Freeman, can you hear me? Do not go into the light!". It made me laugh quite a bit.

EDIT: And "Somebody take his crowbar."
"He's done this before, he'll be okay"
"Dibs on the suit".

And
"When this is alll over I'm going to... nah, who am I kidding?". Funny when you've heard the mate one.

I'm going to stop posting these and just laugh at them to myself.

Feath said:
Haha, I was just looking through the cache files for the resistance girl talking about Cheese and I came across something one of the the resistance says when you die.

"Somebody take his crowbar."
"Dibs on the suit".
Those two are very funny :)
How do you find those? I've got the retail version, not Steam...

el Chi said:
Those two are very funny :)
How do you find those? I've got the retail version, not Steam...

I'm looking in the Steam Cache thingies.

[Dragoon] said:
One of the female rebels says "Sometimes, I dream about Cheese". I'm not sure if its random, or if it only happens at one point, but she was the one on the other side of the fence on the level where you first find the Hopper mines.

The rebels say that in the leak too. When I first heard it, I was like "What?!? Man Valve needs to work on better voice acting." Lol. Turns out that the voice acting was second to none. ;)

About the cheese thing. It makes sense. There aren't many cows in a city and from what I understand, outside the city is uninhabitable. Therefore, no cheese.

I think I'd miss cheddar cheese if the Combine invaded.

Back