Euphoria physics engine

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Complementing euphoria will be Pixelux Entertainment's Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) technology, which brings a level of realism to next-gen games never seen before by making completely interactive environments that react as they would in real life. From crumbling walls to shattering glass and even swaying organic plant life, in-game objects have material properties that behave realistically all in real time.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Euphoria-physics-engine-GC-2006-demo

This is somewhat old actually. Its still awesome though.

That is awesome. I bet it's a huge strain though. And I'm perfectly happy with regular physics for the time being.

Ooooh, is this tech demo downloadable?
Looks like it'd be fun to toy with for a few minutes.

Thats pretty cool..lmao at near the end of the video that guy using the scratcher hand to scratch his face >_> Lazy bastard.

The materials react to taking damage but when it actually breaks (like the Ice and Glass) it doesn't react on the floor very well. Seems rather chunky, low polygon too.

Not that impressed.

Wow, awesome... I love how RJD2 screams, lol.

That seemed pretty crappy to be honest. When the guy said something about everything moving slowly he was right, it looks like time is slowed down a bit in the tech demo. I just want Crysis physics.

looks awesome to me. those physics look amazing. also this is very new to me.
thx for the video dude

~that indy game is looking pretty good at the moment.
I assume it's the same one with the tram fight.

Awesome physics demo :)

Yea the rancor was moving slow, and was probably just CPU strain. Like he said, it will be optimized later.

These physics > Crysis...

Crysis physics are just glorified of what we have now with break points. Like when you see the truck drive into the building, it's sort of crap. None of the materials bend or break and all they do is break from each other while remaining fairly flat.

Some of the stuff looked good some looked like shit.

Some of the stuff looked good some looked like shit.

It's just WIP software and still has bugs in it...

It really looks like it could be great in-game though :)

In fact, this reminds me of way back before HL2 was released, and everyone thought that HL2 did this sort of thing with dynamically breaking objects, but we still had the break points.

"If you really think about what you're seeing, it is *snip* not very exciting, right?"

Haha, nice cut there :p

I didn't watch the video but I can't help but thinking about how terrible the idea of a dedicated physics card has already failed, sorry to derail

Stuff in the star wars univers is kinda fragile, don'tcha think?

THe glass braking aint very realistic at all for how they put it out to be.

I still say most of this isn't very impressive. Am I crazy or didn't HL2 have some precise-point break system a while back, when all those videos surfaced. I kind of specifically remember in the tech demo video the demonstrator shooting a wooden piece of furniture at its legs and it breaking properly.

I'm also holding out for pixel-perfect water physics. =D

Those were some incredible physics. Those unimpressed by this are too jaded by real life. Stop expecting everything to be perfect right away. >:|

There is going to be a problem though. Like Que said, they're going to have to make boundary materials invincible, for instance windows around a building that you're not meant to be able to escape from. this totally defeats the point of having a system like this.

Being able to dent metal is pretty damn cool.

yes but it forces game developers to come up with better ways to implement boundries.

i look forward to seeing this sort of dynamic tech in action.

At any rate i think the only reason dedicated physics cards failed is because of the combination of, not enough games have come out that actually require one, and that its more cost effective just to have dual processors

These physics > Crysis...

Crysis physics are just glorified of what we have now with break points. Like when you see the truck drive into the building, it's sort of crap. None of the materials bend or break and all they do is break from each other while remaining fairly flat.

Eh? Crysis physics are procedurally generated just like Euphoria. They are both done exactley the same way except Euphoria has a broader range of material behaviours.

If you watch the latest Crysis trailer you'll see the concrete roof of a gas stations crumble and break as a truck explodes.

I still say most of this isn't very impressive. Am I crazy or didn't HL2 have some precise-point break system a while back, when all those videos surfaced. I kind of specifically remember in the tech demo video the demonstrator shooting a wooden piece of furniture at its legs and it breaking properly.

I'm also holding out for pixel-perfect water physics. =D

the way the table breaks has fixed break points though;the same with all of the other objects. euphorias breaks depending on where you hit.

Eh? Crysis physics are procedurally generated just like Euphoria. They are both done exactley the same way except Euphoria has a broader range of material behaviours.

If you watch the latest Crysis trailer you'll see the concrete roof of a gas stations crumble and break as a truck explodes.
You sure? I could not find any article about this on google. I'm pretty sure they just went insane with breakpoints. I'm almost positive that the tree's have breakpoints.

It looks like it can be good, but I REALLY don't find it necessary for me...I'm content with break points.

You sure? I could not find any article about this on google. I'm pretty sure they just went insane with breakpoints. I'm almost positive that the tree's have breakpoints.

It was in the G80 presentation video of Crysis, CEO Cevat Yurli says the destructable trees are generated procedurally.

the way the table breaks has fixed break points though;the same with all of the other objects. euphorias breaks depending on where you hit.

No, that's what I'm saying. I specifically remember objects being broken procedurally, not with fixed break points. I remember being hyped over lots of nice looking features in early versions of Source that don't exist in the present, but I'd need to rewatch all of the videos to pinpoint things.

The guy doing the interview is a freaking idiot. He keeps talking about sound and reflections and its a physics demo.

"Does it work from the side? Does it work from the back?"

"Um, no, we haven't IMPLEMENTED THAT YET DIPSHIT. What do you think?"

Is there another upload somewhere? I wanted to show someone this, but the google video link got taken down.

Back