EXACTLY the same as HL2?

Samon said:
You've hardly seen the Source engine attempt it.
How can you say it's bad? Kleiner is an eccentric guy, it's not bad on purpose, it's just how he speaks.
It's obvious that Kleiner is a very intelligent guy, but as he said, not a very good public speaker (he actually did a damn good job delivering that mologue, but it was a bit cheesy).

I didn't find it cheesy at all, I thought it was great. It was oh so Kleiner.

And Lemon, you honestly didn't have to.

Goat W Dork.
Ark Tow Dog.
Row toad, k, G?
K, got a word.

Samon said:
You've hardly seen the Source engine attempt it.
Here's hoping that Valve are specifically upgrading the engine to handle better vegetation...

Samon said:
:LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, but that's the most hilarious thing I've heard all day.

And no, I completely disagree. Episode 1 is probably the best shooter I've ever played.

FTW.

And as usual, Black Op is rawk. :p

well the reasons for it being similar are pretty obvious: it's a continuation of the storyline that takes place in the same area, in the same engine, with the same characthers. I think you're going to get a little bit of dejavu from that to be honest.

But there was enough different in ep1 to make it seem like a new game for me. The HDR, the companionship throughout the game, the new entites and physics puzzles, and more ways to see the same area.

episode 2 should divert pretty heavily from vanilla hl2,since it takes place in a different area...and episode three shoudl be even more different, because the story line would have progressed even further.

"OMG why doesn't City 17 look different a few hours after I last left it?"

The dialogue in HL2: Ep1 is on par with A-grade movies.

So, in reply to the first post: :LOL:

the dialogue definitely didnt suck but the rest of the game did.

There is enough different for me. The entire underground sequence was new, new Antlion trick, dog, continuation of storyline, dog...

BTW, two new monsters, FYI. Just because you only fought one of them once doesn't mean its not new. The stalkers were introduced, and I'm sure we'll see more of them soon... There were loads in the Citadel, who's to say some of them didn't get out too. The zombine were annoying, but a new challenge to fight.

I'm actually curious now if the critical NPCs were immortal in HL2... Granted they never actually fought anything dangerous, but still. I was completly relying on Alyx saving my ass while waiting for the elevator, and then she got raped and died :(.

I will have about 7-11 hours of entertainment, depending on if I play it again on hard or not. Once on normal, again with God + commentary, then again perhaps on hard to challenge myself.

kupoartist said:
Good for you.

kupoartist said:
No you didn't
Yes I absolutely did.

kupoartist said:
No it didn't.
Yes it did, it sucked massive testicles. It was about as good as metal gear solid's script. But then again, you're probably the type of person who thought that X-Men 3 had fantastic script writing.

What the hell is with Alyx saying things like "Oh Gordon, you're such a terror!" Is that supposed to make us feel cool, or to make us feel like we just won her heart or something infinitely dumb like that?

Look, Valve is an amazing company that produces only the highest quality games - and that is why I am so mad about this! I expected them to make it feel... I dunno. I'm going to play throught it again and see how I feel, but now with the news that this trilogy is going to be Half Life 3... I'm wondering if I'll even get the next two episodes.

Glo-Boy said:
Yes I absolutely did.
In the absence of proof I can only believe that you have a massive E-Penis complex, or that your mathematics simply suck. I especially don't trust the time-keeping skills of anyone who replies specifically to a comment made five whole days ago, in a thread that died four days ago.
Glo-Boy said:
But then again, you're probably the type of person who thought that X-Men 3 had fantastic script writing.
That's probably the single most arbitrary accusation i've ever had made against me. I'd say that this "type of person" style remark is more applicable to you. Common consensus seems to be that the script for X-Men 3 sucked, yes? (I sure as hell wouldn't know. Never seen an X-Men movie in my life. Funny that you single out the third one almost suggesting that you're in reverenece of the first two mind you...) To say that it didn't is to say something to simply go against the flow. And what are you doing in this thread? Saying something to simply go against the flow.

:D :D Congratulations, you're an individual! :D :D

Kleiner over the highjacked City 17 public announcement system said:
Ahem...is this on? Yes? Very well, I...I am not much of a public speaker, but I'll...I'll do my best.

Fellow citizens...residents of City 17 and environs...by which I mean sentient residents, of course, human and otherwise, although I believe there is little need to explain recent developments to our vortigaunt allies...

At any rate...First, as a matter of great urgency, if you find yourself still within the confines of City 17, you are well advised to leave the city at once by the fastest means available to you. We have restored service to much of the commuter transport system in order to carry citizens out of the city as quickly as possible. We have also established camps and triage areas in the surrounding environs. I repeat, you must evacuate the city at once! While there was certainly a great benefit in destroying the Citadel's teleport core, we have detected one rather unfortunate side effect. It would appear an inevitability that very soon now, the Citadel will be consumed in a destructive event whose magnitude I cannot currently estimate with any certainty, except to say that it will almost certainly irradiate an area of many miles' radius. Therefore, I repeat, evacuate City 17 at once if not sooner! I cannot state this without enough undue emphasis!

On a lighter note, if you are already in one of our designated safe zones, I feel obliged to point out that a more fortunate side-effect of the reactor's destruction is the complete removal of the Combine's reproductive suppression field. Previously, certain protein chains important to the process of embryonic development were selectively prevented from forming. This is no longer the case. For those so inclined, now would be an excellent time for procreation. Which is to say, in layman's terms, you should give serious consideration to doing your part for the revival of the species. We must make the most of the time we have, as it is by no means certain how much time we have secured ourselves before the Combine attempt to restore their dominion, as they certainly shall.

Since this is in fact the first opportunity we have had to speak openly of the baleful influence of the Combine, there is much ground to cover—and in fact I hope to institute a series of useful bulletins in the days ahead. However, for now, we will have to content ourselves with some relatively meager exposition.

The destabilization of the City 17 reactor has had repercussions that were not entirely unexpected, although we hardly dared speak this hope ahead of time. The destructive pulse forced a damper on the entire network of linked Citadel reactors. Thus, for the time being, I believe that all Combine portals have failed completely, as well as all communication systems based on that technology. In short, the Combine are completely cut off. Combine forces currently stationed on Earth are now isolated units. Stranded. However, this is most likely a temporary state of affairs. As we once learned to our dismay, even the relatively tiny fracture at Black Mesa gave our enemies an opening which they were able to force ever wider, as they poured through in greater and greater numbers. In addition to the completely xenotheric species, there are many modified post-human allies still remaining on Earth who will be doing their utmost to re-establish lines of communication and supply with the larger forces.

Even so, there is greater reason for hope now than at any time in the past decade. We have made, in secret, several technological advances which we will do our best to deploy in advance of the Combine's return. We continue to diligently assemble and train a new generation of scientists and technicians. For what the Combine fear the most is not any tangible human weapon, but our will, our intellect, our ability to respond selectively and rationally to every terror they turn against us. We place our firmest hope in the human spirit, even knowing how easily it may be shattered. We have all seen friends and family crushed by the Combine. Some of our neighbors have allowed themselves to be co-opted, and purged of their humanity, by the military machine. And those who resisted have met a most terrible fate. till, I cannot overstate how important it is that we retain our humanity. Only this will allow us to hold together as we must for their inevitable return...and what is certain to be unimaginable retaliation.

And...oh yes, if you missed any part of this message, it will loop repeatedly until there is no point in looping it any longer. I apologize for any inadvertent errors or omissions. As you can imagine, we have had scarcely time to record, let alone rehearse-What's that, Eli? Oh, right.

This has been Dr. Isaac Kleiner, formerly of Black Mesa, now simply a citizen, like all of you, of Earth. Let me just add to all those who can hear me now, as we struggle out of the shadow of our malefactors, welcome back to the light.

Now...where did I put that calculator...?

Glo-Boy said:
...the dialogue sucked.

:rolling:
Let's not get silly here. The dialogue is fantastic.

A True Canadian said:
:rolling:
Let's not get silly here. The dialogue is fantastic.
He won't have heard that on account of having completed the game in two and a half hours, probably shortly before sending an insulting note to Patrick Moore demanding that he be awarded the Gamemaster golden joystick.

I just don't understand people, who suggest that EP1 is worse than HL2 itself.

Personally, i didn't expect no new weapons, enemies or something other added. I was just dying to see where the storyline goes. Alyx AI was absolutely amazing, I just enjoyed fighting zombies and other combine/zombine creatues with her alongside. Features like zombines carrying grenades with them, covering antlion pits using cars really added much excitement to the game. I adore playing half-life 2 - but same plot is just not interesting, I didn't care much of plot in EP1, the main thing that it's different and that it goes somewhere. It surpassed all my expectations. The game is really quite short, because as I said, I enjoy any fighting scenes, so i would have settled for more of them. Anyway, it was really worth my $20.

The idea, that I'll be waiting so long for EP2 drives me nuts also, but look at the bright side - I don't know how I would be spending $20 for each episode once a month ;)

$20? It cost me £20! And while it was indeed a very good short game, I'm not quite sure it was worth that much. I was expecting something longer than that, and I was at least hoping for some new weapons, etc. I was disappointed that I didn't get to have proper fights with the Stalkers, after that trailer where they all kicked and snarled at you.

Alyx AI was absolutely amazing

Seconded - It was so cool when she kicked the headcrabs off of the zombines!

Glo-Boy said:
Good for you.

Yes I absolutely did.

Yes it did, it sucked massive testicles. It was about as good as metal gear solid's script. But then again, you're probably the type of person who thought that X-Men 3 had fantastic script writing.

What the hell is with Alyx saying things like "Oh Gordon, you're such a terror!" Is that supposed to make us feel cool, or to make us feel like we just won her heart or something infinitely dumb like that?

Look, Valve is an amazing company that produces only the highest quality games - and that is why I am so mad about this! I expected them to make it feel... I dunno. I'm going to play throught it again and see how I feel, but now with the news that this trilogy is going to be Half Life 3... I'm wondering if I'll even get the next two episodes.

Well, the dialog is up to interpretation. When Alyx commented about Gordon's victory over the Gunship she was expressing admiration. I think some people have gone into EP1 with a sort of prejudice against it, and don't appreciate the quality put into it. But again, misinterpreting the meaning behind the dialog, emotional or otherwise, could definitely have a drastic effect on how well one thinks the dialog flows.

Oh, and the individual that said EP1 ended the same as HL2 is quite lacking in intelligence.

Hunter_8472 said:
$20? It cost me £20! And while it was indeed a very good short game, I'm not quite sure it was worth that much. I was expecting something longer than that, and I was at least hoping for some new weapons, etc. I was disappointed that I didn't get to have proper fights with the Stalkers, after that trailer where they all kicked and snarled at you.
I was slightly disappointed by the stalkers, but then, I bought it on Steam, like any sensible person in rip-offland should. So I don't feel I payed more than it was worth

Samon said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you think it's too short, you are a moron.

It was too short! I just wanted to keep playing straight through to episodes 2 and 3 to find out what happens. :(

I hate having to wait. ;)

kupoartist said:
In the absence of proof I can only believe that you have a massive E-Penis complex, or that your mathematics simply suck. I especially don't trust the time-keeping skills of anyone who replies specifically to a comment made five whole days ago, in a thread that died four days ago.

That's probably the single most arbitrary accusation i've ever had made against me. I'd say that this "type of person" style remark is more applicable to you. Common consensus seems to be that the script for X-Men 3 sucked, yes? (I sure as hell wouldn't know. Never seen an X-Men movie in my life. Funny that you single out the third one almost suggesting that you're in reverenece of the first two mind you...) To say that it didn't is to say something to simply go against the flow. And what are you doing in this thread? Saying something to simply go against the flow.

:D :D Congratulations, you're an individual! :D :D

Okay, at least I was being funny when I made assumptions about you.
a.) No e-penis complex.
b.) No mathematical difficulties.
c.) Time keeping skills? I was too busy at school working on my final projects and exams to check this thread. Seeing as I got everything done on time, I would say that's probably a testament to my excellent time keeping skills wouldn't you?
d.) I don't know about that public's opinion on X-Men 3 and I don't care. I double major in film and visual effects. I studied interactive design and game development for bit at this institution as well, so I feel that I know what I am talking about when it comes to movies and games.
e.) The "type of person" jokes are great because even if they're untrue, it's still funny. So in that spirit, I bet you're the type of person who thinks he's just like Brian from Family Guy.
f.) To keep it fair, I will say I am still quite impressed over valve's control of their engine. While that seems like an understatement because, well, 'duh', they made it... it really feels limitless in terms of what they could potentially render. Like in the beginning when you and alyx get into the broken car and dog throws you into the citadel, that was an excellent addition to the game among many others.

Glo-Boy said:
Okay, at least I was being funny when I made assumptions about you.
I wouldn't expect you to find personal insults funny, the same way as I find your reductive comments about me in bad humour. I only give as good as I get.
Glo-Boy said:
Time keeping skills? I was too busy at school working on my final projects and exams to check this thread. Seeing as I got everything done on time, I would say that's probably a testament to my excellent time keeping skills wouldn't you?
You have my congratulations. You still don't understand when a thread has clearly run its course though.
Glo-Boy said:
I studied interactive design and game development for bit at this institution as well, so I feel that I know what I am talking about when it comes to movies and games.
It shows. It really does. Well, the fact that you think you know what you're taliking about at least.
Glo-Boy said:
I bet you're the type of person who thinks he's just like Brian from Family Guy.
Try again until you come up with a cultural reference that I may actually get.

Back