Failed to set video mode, resetting to defaults

W

walker2004

Failed to set video mode, resetting to defaults
Game Will now restart with the new video settings.

I get this Error just after the black screen with white writing about steam etc, i can see a coloured BG for a few millisecconds then this crash to desktop, i tried renaming source models.pcf and it redownloaded (but very fast i admit no way i can get 400 megs in 20 mins)

AMd 3200+ 64bit
1024 corsair ram
6800GT 256meg with latest drivers (tried 2 older ones no help)
Via based ASUS mobo with latest VIA 4-1's
Windows XP SP1
directx9.0c

yeah i get that when i try to change resolution from 1024 to 800x600. Can you play at all? in any rez? i think it might have something to do with Reforce or other such software being installed. :/

you could check ur vid settings, start>run type in dx diag> more help tab and click "Override" set the refresh rate of ur monitor in there.

i run into the same problem and have tried the override option and still didn't seem to work....any other suggestions....

I had this problem, reinstalled dx9.0c, worked for one game.. then same problem. What finally worked was I had to completely uninstall my video drivers, reboot, (make sure windows xp can't access internet), cancel all dialog for video driver install. Then reinstalled drivers from scratch.. all worked fine after that.

Daniel

I had the same problem when I had installed monitor drivers. Uninstalled them and everything worked once again.

Either get a profile editor like saweetnesstrev said (nHancer, YAPE, etc), or manually delete the settings associted with hl2.exe in your registry. Go into your registry under this key:

CODE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{F5857C38-087A-4CD1-98DD-D4DF85D1A681}\0000

The GUID on yours will be different, but generally it's the furthest one down the list. The 0000 is likely the same (first adapter under that id).

Now delete any entries starting with:

CODE
_hl2.exe:

Even though entries will appear in your NVIDIA panel, the values associated with them are gone and you can either forget about it or set defaults or redo your profile.

That's it! HL2/CSS works again!

Or

Download a program name nHancer and delete the halflife2 profile.. IT WORKS!!

smile.gif its the freaking profile thats crashing it!!

Holy shit this topic is over a year old rofl :p

Failed to set video mode....resetting defaults

Ben,

Worked a treat. I removed the registry entries as you said ( anything with _hl2.exe: in it) and the game ran ok.

Thanks mate!

Regards.

Neil.

Either get a profile editor like saweetnesstrev said (nHancer, YAPE, etc), or manually delete the settings associted with hl2.exe in your registry. Go into your registry under this key:

CODE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{F5857C38-087A-4CD1-98DD-D4DF85D1A681}\0000

The GUID on yours will be different, but generally it's the furthest one down the list. The 0000 is likely the same (first adapter under that id).

Now delete any entries starting with:

CODE
_hl2.exe:

Even though entries will appear in your NVIDIA panel, the values associated with them are gone and you can either forget about it or set defaults or redo your profile.

That's it! HL2/CSS works again!

Or

Download a program name nHancer and delete the halflife2 profile.. IT WORKS!!

smile.gif its the freaking profile thats crashing it!!

Holy shit this topic is over a year old rofl :p

i still has the problem . in my registry editor there is no" {F5857C38-087A-4CD1-98DD-D4DF85D1A681}\0000 "

Back