Familiarize myself with the HL engine?

A

Arrow

I plan on being active in the HL2 modding community :)
However, i have not even begun to check out modding for the original game.

Will there be any advantage in learning the ins and outs of modding HL?

think about it.....oif course there will, lol, skills such as mapping, coding and modelling are engine transferrable!

If you want to program, learn C++, if you want to map, learn a little bit of C++ and the current Valve Hammer Editor(do NOT use the beta, it's very buggy and it even destroyed some peoples maps close to their release), to learn modelling, download Milkshape and learn the basics. You can upgrade to 3dsm, maya, or that softimage one(the name slipped my mind) if you want but it's not nessesary unless you plan on taking any modeling courses at your school or somewhere, as Milkshape will get a converter and compiler as usual.

well the actual program that they are going to be using for modelling in hl2 is softimage xsi as stated in other threads but if you want to go get familiarised with a program that your gonna have to use conversion kits for then go ahead but i would suggest going for softimage xsi its a very easy to use program and its very very very powerful =) mwuaha

or you might want to suggest gettign modding expericance elsewhere before modding for HL2. I personally love the Elder Scrolls Construction SEt for morrowind.

A good way to learn about AI and scripting would be in Operation Flashpoint, they have the easiest editor around. But remember to pace yourself and follow tutorials to the letter to learn the programs well.

Yep, learn Hammer now if you are interested in mapping. A fellow e-mailed me who wanted to join the team as a mapper because he is anticipating mapping for HL2. The mapping experience he has is with BF1942 which is very different from mapping for HL. I told him to learn Hammer, because judging from the screenshots, it is basically the same program as before.

Originally posted by Argyll
Yep, learn Hammer now if you are interested in mapping. A fellow e-mailed me who wanted to join the team as a mapper because he is anticipating mapping for HL2. The mapping experience he has is with BF1942 which is very different from mapping for HL. I told him to learn Hammer, because judging from the screenshots, it is basically the same program as before.

But a lot of functions will be added,
because the engine needs a lot of information from the map,
what materials objects have,
you have to setup their flexibility and more.

It will be mapping from the highest level.

more like Java than VB... although they all have their similarities. (*cough*VB sucks*cough*)

if you want to map, learn a little bit of C++ and the current Valve Hammer Editor(do NOT use the beta, it's very buggy and it even destroyed some peoples maps close to their release)

You need ZERO c++ experience to be able to map. And by all means use the beta, just because certain people are too stupid to fix their problems, doesn't mean the beta should be avoided.

mapping doesnt require coding if you juat anna get the basics made...
If you want to make a game, uoi need to be able to code, or have a coder on the team.

And yes, i made some mean rpgs on my Ti-83.

MY 9Am3 50n Th3 C4LCUl4toR WeRE S0m3 dmaN @w5oM3!

thnak you leetspeak translator... ;)
http://www.geocities.com/mnstr_2000/translate.html

yeh, just muck around wit programs the ppl on here suggest, mayb get a manual if u wanna learn C++, u can definatly teech urself hammer, i did, errr and i dont kno about softimage xsi and 3Dsm !

(btw nice translator 'winder :D)

Back