Farcry 3

So question...are the enviornments destructible? For instance that house on the hill that Unfocused posted, can I blow that shit up? Just asking because it's made by the same people as Crysis.

Buildings are not destructible. Wood houses are flammable though, so you can set them on fire with molotovs.
Some objects like fences, and furniture are destructible, but that's about it.

Also, it's not made by the same guys that made Crysis. The Far Cry series is no longer developed by Crytek, they sold this franchise right after Far Cry 1.

Far Cry 3 is developed by Ubisoft Montreal.

So yeah, I think I'm about 60% through the game.

Wow, I'm such a retard. I read the first sentence, thought to myself "I don't think I'm quite that far in"... then opened the spoiler not even thinking. Well ****. At least I only read the first sentence before realizing I was doing something idiotic.

Any thoughts on the length of the game, including side content? I hope it's longer than ten, overall. I'll be playing it later today, probably.

Crap, this and Dragonborn (which was much larger than expected). With prioritization in mind, it's about to explode.

Any thoughts on the length of the game, including side content? I hope it's longer than ten, overall. I'll be playing it later today, probably.

Longer than ten hours? I've been playing for probably around 20 hours and I'm still on the North Island. I only finished a few missions of the main quest, because every time I travel to a main quest mission, I take care of most of the stuff on the way - radio towers, outposts, assassination and hunter missions etc.

Yeah, I've put in a fair amount of time as well, and I haven't done many of the main quests. There's quite a bit of fun to be had of your own invention as well, beyond just the side missions and collecting shit.

Game is a lot of fun, but way easy so far in my opinion. Been playing on hard, avoiding the shark skill tree, and using the bow whenever I can to keep things tough and survivalistic.

Good to hear, about the length (geez, day-one patches are quickly becoming the norm, popping it in right now). Fun "of your own invention" does increase replayability value, which is just as important than the one-time play-through length, for me, anyway.

Game is a lot of fun, but way easy so far in my opinion. Been playing on hard, avoiding the shark skill tree, and using the bow whenever I can to keep things tough and survivalistic.

I'm playing on normal (as I usually do in my first playthrough of a game, I like to have some wiggle room to 'play' with the enemies rather than having to completely focus on being efficient) and it is pretty easy when I get to choose my approach. A bit less so if I'm (rarely) forced to do something the way the game wants me to.

As for the skill tree - the points are given so gratuitously (if you go for undetected outpost takeovers) that I pretty quickly unlocked what I wanted and then just picked other skills because I had points to spare.

Finished it. Still have outposts to harass and side quests to do though.

All the story's twists later on are predictable, including the "endgame".

However, all in all a great game. The only thing I hate are all the quick time events peppered through the story campaign.

If anybody doesn't like the default sights (like me), there's a mod to make them better.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734149-Better-sights-mod?p=8766218&viewfull=1#post8766218
OS-B-A.jpg

RDS-B-A.jpg
RS-B-A.jpg

Positive points:

-I really liked how guns felt for the most part.
-Towards the end it feels great if you're able to pull off a completely undetected outpost liberation by just knifing.
-As a generally stealthy player, the inclusion of silencers and the bow was nice
-Graphics are good
-The first 8-10 hours were awesome before the formula started getting stale.

Gripes:

-"Press E to interact" - I can't count the number of times I've swapped guns instead of looted somebody or had the option disappear when I tried to open a door. So much time wasted...
-Don't limit us so much with what skills we can get. Before unlocking the 2nd set and 3rd set of skills, I had banked 10+ skill points because I didn't want to spend them on the remaining boring ones I had available to me.
-Once I got all the crafting done, I got bored with the hunting sidequests except for the bow ones.
-Assassination side quests were almost all boring. "Kill this guy with a knife" ad infinitum.
-Open-world games like this need a bunch of fun ways to get around or else I'm going to resort to fast travel. Cars and road vehicles aren't really fun, the hang gliders only help you get down from places, and the other thing later on is nice, but I wish we had that earlier. I found myself wishing for a grappling hook or something to help me scale the more mountainous areas...but then again I'm wishing for a grappling hook pretty much all the time.
-The main character and almost all his friends are pretty douchey and unlikable, if you ask me.
-Ending Spoilers:
The terrible plan to kill Hoyt at the end bothered me a lot. Also, the room full of dead mercs after killing Hoyt was just silly. Apparently in a haze we slaughtered a ton of guys off-screen? Was that before or after they let me knife their employer? If we were going to have to plow through a bunch of mercs before or after killing Hoyt, why not kill him when he finishes his speech at the dock or when he has ONE guard with him by the holding cells? Silly. I also laughed at Sam's plan to conceal a knife in his boot when HE HAS ONE STRAPPED ON HIS CHEST

Overall, I liked the game. I feel it could've been shorter and the side missions could've been a little more varied.

EDIT: wtf, I leave for a while and now my gif avatar is broken and I'm a newbie? :p

While shooting alarms doesn't shut down other alarms in the area, I've had a lot of success shooting one in an outpost, and picking the pirates off one by one, tagging can make things a bit too easy. I've disabled a few of the alarms by hand (which is the way to shut the whole system down), but doing so with a sniper bullet from a far is obviously much easier, and I haven't had other alarms being activated on me after using this method. Of course, shooting animal cage doors off is another strategy I try to mix in the pot when given the opportunity.

Overall, I'm definitely liking the game. It's a breath of fresh air compared to some of the mediocre efforts being released lately. The wildlife and the random pirates that show up keep things from becoming stale, of course I haven't been playing for 10 hours like some here have.

I'm only a few missions into the main quest, hopefully there'll be more psychedelic experiences like in the cave mission.

EDIT: wtf, I leave for a while and now my gif avatar is broken and I'm a newbie? :p
Ok, seriously, I'm with Vegeta now. This is getting god damn ridiculous. Was there a pact or something where everyone who ever stopped coming here agreed to show up again at the end of 2012? Is the the first sign of the Apocalypse?

Ok, seriously, I'm with Vegeta now. This is getting god damn ridiculous. Was there a pact or something where everyone who ever stopped coming here agreed to show up again at the end of 2012? Is the the first sign of the Apocalypse?

There's no pact. We all just feel... THE CALLING

hahahaha I forgot all about hetaria and how jelly I was to not be included

While shooting alarms doesn't shut down other alarms in the area, I've had a lot of success shooting one in an outpost, and picking the pirates off one by one, tagging can make things a bit too easy. I've disabled a few of the alarms by hand (which is the way to shut the whole system down), but doing so with a sniper bullet from a far is obviously much easier, and I haven't had other alarms being activated on me after using this method. Of course, shooting animal cage doors off is another strategy I try to mix in the pot when given the opportunity.

For some reason when I assault outposts and do so while trying to stay undetected, the enemies do not trigger alarms even when people are visibly dying. I think they do that only when they see you. So an outpost takeover basically looks like this - people get sniped, naded, blown up by C4 and mines by an invisible assailant, but every pirate is like 'I got this, no need for backup!'

They feel the juegoes, Krynn. They have come not for us, but to take the juegoes and ascend them to a higher plane.

Take my juegoes. Take them to a higher existence. THEY SHALL BE PLAYED BY THE ANGELS. THE JUEGOES FLOW THROUGH MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

For some reason when I assault outposts and do so while trying to stay undetected, the enemies do not trigger alarms even when people are visibly dying. I think they do that only when they see you. So an outpost takeover basically looks like this - people get sniped, naded, blown up by C4 and mines by an invisible assailant, but every pirate is like 'I got this, no need for backup!'

Well, detection does have something to do with it, except I've shot alarms, was detected afterwards, and nothing was triggered. Maybe outposts in general only have one alarm, or the AI isn't that great (the way I understood it was that shooting only disables that one alarm, disabling by hand shuts down all of them). But yeah, they only attempt to trigger it if you have been detected.

Anyway, the shoot from a far method makes eliminating each outpost undetected very easy. It's not the outposts I'm worried about, the random wildlife encounters are more challenging. After being mauled several times, I've been carrying a shotgun with me just in case.

After being mauled several times, I've been carrying a shotgun with me just in case.

Speaking of shotguns, the SPAS 12 shotgun you get later in the game is a beast. It's semi automatic, has a long effective range and it can kill anything 1-2 hits (about 3-4 hits for a heavy).

Speaking of shotguns, the SPAS 12 shotgun you get later in the game is a beast. It's semi automatic, has a long effective range and it can kill anything 1-2 hits (about 3-4 hits for a heavy).

I can't remember which shotgun I have, but the one I have now is decent. Aside from that, it's a little annoying that the first sniper rifle you're given for free is the one where you can't customize it at all, I want a silenced sniper rifle ffs! I've been slacking off on those radio towers, but almost have enough money for the one for $1800.

Contrary to what I thought earlier, there's actually quite a bit waste your money on besides weapons, body armor, maps, etc.

Have to finish homework before I can jump back in, grr!

I'm not sure if it's all linked to specific towers, like unlocking x specific tower unlocks y gun, but about 3 times now I've "unlocked" a gun in the shop, making it available for free, due to climbing a tower...the very gun I ***king bought like 20 minutes ago.

There's only two things so far that irritates me about the game is the looting.

Hold X to loot.

Mkay.

I'm swimming around this shark's body trying to get it to interact, nada. Attacked by ninja shark from behind. Or croc. Those things are ***king terrifying. That or I come close to drowning. Or drop my weapon and pickup the pirate's. Seriously. Fix the damn looting mechanic. The coding area around the body is too narrow. Or whatever you call it.

And the other, is how in the name of ***k do the pirates suddenly know EXACTLY where I am when I shoot the guy 20 metres from them with a bow?

"Okay line up stealthy one-show-like-a-baos bow, get the angle right, little higher, little higher *release* Oh what a shot!"

"Get him!"

"WHAT THE ***K!? HOW DID THEY SEE ME?! I'm in a massive bush on the top of this mountain, and suddenly you're destroying me with laser AK fire."

Other than that, even on the consoles, it's quite pretty, but I still think Uncharted 3 looks better. PC is king of course, but this game really highlights for me that consoles truly have reached their limit. Good riddance.

Fun game though.

And Vaas is now my favourite bad guy in gaming history.

Random observation, pirates sometimes sound like the Super Mutants from Fallout 3. Especially when laughing maniacally.

Generally, this game was pretty great. There was some annoying "protect this person" gameplay, but other than that it was a pretty interesting experience, although there are quite a few sidequests I still have to finish. I think the ending would have been much more depressing had I chose the other option. The ending was poignant, the voice acting definitely helped with that.

Ran off a cliff and activated my wingsuit. Flew too low and hit a passing car full of privateers. The car flipped off a cliff and the privateers fell screaming to their deaths as I lay dying.

That's Far Cry 3, baby.

So I just beat the story, got all camps, all towers, done all missions, bought everything, crafted everything. I've done everything except the relics and letters.

It's a pretty fun game, I got to say. There wasn't enough stuff on the second island. It's pretty much the same size with half the missions. And Ripper = best gun in game. Decimates everything. The second island has too many of those heavy guys so my beloved bow had to be put away in place of a nade launcher and .50 cal sniper :)

My favorite carry over from Far Cry 2 is when an enemy drives his own jeep into the water, and drowns.
Killing the driver or shooting the tires and watching the car sometimes flip violently into a tree and everyone inside fly out or get crushed is amazing to watch.

Finished it now and have to say, game goes downhill on the second island,
after killing Vaas.
Shame as well as up till then it was easily a GoTY contender for me.

It's great. They flipped into the ocean once. Also if you guys aren't playing the game on Survivor you are NOT playing the game right. You die so f*cking easily that when you finally get the wingsuit, jump off a cliff overlooking an outpost, bombard everyone wit hmolotovs and glide into a sniper and kill him from above and take out everyone else fast enough that none of them can hit an alarm or know you are there after a lot of planning, you feel amazing. Personal runner up for GOTY right here, if not GOTY.

I love getting the relic/letter maps, I find areas of the island/near it I never new existed, such as underwater temples/caves, Japanese bunkers, etc.

Hell, I didn't even think of using the wingsuit to molotov-bomb outposts. Great idea!

Back