Fatties on airplanes controversy

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Big%20jpg-thumb-200x266-54211.jpg

This is sent to me with the absolute assurance that it's a genuine picture taken by a flight attendant at American Airlines. The F/A took it to show her manager what was happening on the aircraft (757???) and why she was unhappy about it. Seems the guy paid for only one seat and the gate staff let him board.

You can see the F/A's point of view - how the heck is s(he) supposed to deal with it. Sympathise with the guy or not, he's a major safety hazard in an evacuation, a gross inconvenience for the cabin crew, and I would suggest a totally unacceptable travelling companion for the guy next to him.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/2009/11/passenger-creates-big-debate-a.html

lol that photo is hilarious. the guy in the middle better hope the plane doesnt do a sudden hard bank to the right

also lol at two empty seats behind the fat guy

response to the article:

As a fat passenger myself who travels overseas and around the world on a monthly basis, I have to ask you.

Do you have ANY glimmer of thought to how this large person is actually feeling right now?

Do you know what it's like to step on to a plane and have EVERY SINGLE PERSON on that plane look at with a look on their face that says, "GOD! I hope that person isn't sitting next to me!"?

Do you know what it's like to go through that your whole life?

Do you think he really wants to inconvenience anybody else?

Who's fault is it that he is inconveniencing the passenger next to him if you don't assume ugly things, like gluttony, as being the cause of his condition? Could that fault be the airlines fault?

Do you know of anyone who could afford to buy two tickets - especially on international flights?

Do you know how uncomfortable it is to sit in two seats at the same time with the arm rest jammed into your back or your side? They don't fold all the way into the back of the chair.

Do you know of an large people who have to buy two tickets to get on a bus or pay double for a cab because of their size?

I sit next to people who stink, next to drunks and loud obnoxious people all the time who make me really uncomfortable. Should they have to pay for an extra seat?

Maybe we should put mothers with screaming babies in the toilets with the doors closed for the flight.

Should people in wheelchairs have to pay extra for the services given to them? We don't know how they became handicapped. You don't know how an obese person became the way he/she is. It is rarely gluttony. There are many metabolic emotional and addictive issues. Obesity is a disease. It is currently the most common and debilitating disease in the US and we treat it's victims like pariahs.

Weight discrimination is the most common form of open discrimination in the world today. Everyone seems to think it shocking to slam a door on a person in a wheelchair, yet think it's funny and a license to be rude when a fat person falls and hurts himself when his chair collapses from under him.

I have nerve damage in my thighs from the silly remote control boxes for the TV jamming into my legs. Quite often my seat falls back on take off because my thighs push against the seat rest button on the inside of the arm. I have to sit skewed and at a screwed up angle for hours. Quite often it takes my back a month to recuperate on overseas trips. I can't eat or drink anything on the flight because my tray table won't fold down. I'm so afraid of making anyone around me mad, that I sit with my seat back up the entire flight. Because my fat displaces me forward, if the person in front of me puts their chair back, I'm basically smelling their hair the entire trip.

Airlines should provide one or two bench seats rows to cater to passengers of ALL sizes.

One ticket should apply to any passenger, no matter that passengers age, handicap, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual preference or size. That is what's fair - and yes - you have to put up with it. Airlines have to deal with it. It's called TOLERANCE. We seem to have forgotten it in today's self centered society.

I'm tall, if I want to be totally comfortable on a flight I'd have to pay extra for business or first class. Also if my bag is 1 pound overweight I get charged extra. it's his lifestyle choices that led to his condition. I'm not all that sympathetic to his plight

I've always wondered, how do you get that fat? It seems to me an impossible feat.

I should be awarded a nobel prize for this, for i have invented a solution:

STOP

EATING

Fat people belong in the storage containers.

edit: ps im joking you crybabies

"You don't know how an obese person became the way he/she is. It is rarely gluttony."

Who we kidding here?

I don't know how a person can get so large that they can sit in a chair and have a larger profile than it.

"You don't know how an obese person became the way he/she is. It is rarely gluttony."

Who we kidding here?

Oh it's not just gluttony, it's usually a combination of gluttony and an unwillingness to exercise or do anything productive for their body.
No sympathy.

Horrible depression is one issue for some.

Ever since I started traveling with work (California last month, Denver this Saturday), I have enjoyed being 5'8 and 150 lbs. I have long legs, so that's uncomfortable enough as it is.

that's usually a symptom of obesity. I meant pre-existing mental disease like hoarding/compulsive disorders

Obviously I wasn't talking about symptom depression.

People of this size have a disability and should be treated with the same respect and level of airline accommodation - but it works both ways, and they have to accept that their needs are not catered for by standard seating.

In before Gabe 'jokes'.

People of this size have a disability and should be treated with the same respect and level of airline accommodation - but it works both ways, and they have to accept that their needs are not catered for by standard seating.

In before Gabe 'jokes'.

so they should be the first on and off the plane? because that's the level of extra accomodation people in wheelchairs get. perhaps we should cater to all sizes not just fatties. so anyone over 6'1" should get "extra accomodation" because unless it's business or first class it's cramped for anyone over 6'1". what about pregnant women? what about people with really bad BO? what about people with elphatitis of the testicals? HUH? ;)

and what should the cutoff mark for Obese seating be?

"hmm you have 3 chins, a gunt and you've never actually seen your penis? you're in Fattie Class. meals are served at 1pm 1:30pm, 2pm, 2:30 pm ..."

You are a bitter, hate filled man.

It's called TOLERANCE.

It's all well and good to talk about tolerance until your fat ass becomes an obstacle for other people in the real world.

Not hating on the overweight or anything. I understand that it's easier to lose weight for some more than others. But if you're going to remain large, then please accept that there are times when your weight makes life a little more difficult for the people around you. None of this "IT'S MY GOD DAMN RIGHT TO BE FAT AND WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT BUB" libertarian champion of the obese bullshit.

so they should be the first on and off the plane? because that's the level of extra accomodation people in wheelchairs get.
Why not?
so anyone over 6'1" should get "extra accomodation" because unless it's business or first class it's cramped for anyone over 6'1".
It's not an issue of giving preferential treatment to people who're not comfortable, it's an issue of ease of access for people at some kind of physical disadvantage, who in some cases, also cause logistical problems for Airline staff. I doubt even the exceptionally tall would cause or experience those kinds of problems, unless they have some kind of weird circulation voodoo going on.
and what should the cutoff mark for Obese seating be?
What, so we're not allowed to post anything without showing the maths now?

There are instances where obesity is driven by genetic conditions or diseases the person has suffered from in their life time. Poly-cystic ovaries for example, causes weight gain in women but this is completely unavoidable.

Then you have the fat ****ers who just eat too much, and wedge themselves in front of a television all day and night, shovelling food in like they haven't seen it before.

So now we have the self inflicted selfish bastards and the unavoidable innocent sufferers. It's difficult to draw the line between the two without making the person fill out a large medical questionnaire before booking their seat (which isn't going to happen). So do you err on the side of caution and give all obese passengers extra facilities, or give them all nothing?

In my opinion, I don't blame the airlines. They run a business and a larger person is a safety risk and add extra weight to the plane (impact on fuel). Taking up two seats or installing bench seats means that the plane's capacity reduces by a handful of seats. Airlines have no obligation like a health service or government agency to cater for everyone. They provide the majority of travellers with what they need, but it's not within their interest financially to make extra support for small % of the population.

From that perspective, I think it would even be reasonable for airlines to ban obese passengers in case of an emergency. But right now obese passengers are made aware that if they want to fly they must buy a second seat, to keep the aisle clear. Obese passengers must be more than aware of why airlines need to do that and it's been this way for a while now...yet you still hear the 'oh my lord, the injustices...I've never heard of such a thing!'

Making the best of a bad situation, is how I see it. Obese people in a contained tin is a square peg round hole situation. It's never going to fit...

Unless we put them in the baggage hold.

that might pose a problem. how about last to board and first to exit?

Big%20jpg-thumb-200x266-54211.jpg

also should they widen the aisles to accomodate the morbidly obese? what about the airplanes doors? what about the washroom? should they have a fattie sized meal in comparison to everyone else? if the answer is yes, then it already exists: it's called first class. in other words the consumer should pay for it

It's not an issue of giving preferential treatment to people who're not comfortable,

all of his complaints boiled down to "I'm not comfortable so i should get two seats instead of one"

it's an issue of ease of access for people at some kind of physical disadvantage, who in some cases, also cause logistical problems for Airline staff. I doubt even the exceptionally tall would cause or experience those kinds of problems, unless they have some kind of weird circulation voodoo going on.

8 hours with your knees tightly jammed at an angle because there's not enough leg room for anyone who's not short

and the obese are not at a disadvantage. that implies that their condition is no fault of their own when it most certainly is at least in some part

What, so we're not allowed to post anything without showing the maths now?

...pardon?

I meant how do we distinguish what constitutes "too fat to sit in normal seating"

I'm going to be rich....I'm going to invent a plane JUST FOR FATTIES. I'll be rich, becuase 'lol uhmerikuh'.

No, I'm not being sarcastic \=

I'm going to be rich....I'm going to invent a plane JUST FOR FATTIES. I'll be rich, becuase 'lol uhmerikuh'.

No, I'm not being sarcastic \=

I will be the pilot

I will start practiquing

.......welcome to the flying whale passengers,right now the doritos are broguht aboard,we will take off in just some minutes......

^
Perfect! I will also provide any faculty on the plane with gas masks, because we know how they are.

I would punch every fat person who cries victim if I didn't think they'd eat my fist, either using their mouth or using their folds.

Just ban fat ****s from flying. They present clear safety hazzards.

Every it of soft discrimination that forces fatto's to go on a diet and exercise some is good.

I would punch every fat person who cries victim if I didn't think they'd eat my fist, either using their mouth or using their folds.

Every it of soft discrimination that forces fatto's to go on a diet and exercise some is good.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

LOL- If we have to pay extra because our luggage is too heavy, obese people should have to pay extra because they are too heavy.

\

While they do prevent safety hazards, they should still have the right to travel as they please.

They are human beings.

Weight isn't a factor. Girth is a factor. Some people who are overweight or even obese may not be at that level where they just spill out of a chair. But man, if that photo of that guy is real, he certainly is spilling out of the chair. And I've seen some women who have HUGE asses like the width of two men.

I have had it with these mother ****ing fatties...

You want to know how I got these rolls? My father was a fattie and a fiend and one night he goes off fatter than usual. Mommy gets the doritos to defend herself. He doesn’t like that, not one bit. So, me watching he takes the doritos to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me and he says “WHY SO SERIOUS SON?”. He comes at me with the doritos “why so serious son?” Sticks the chips in my mouth "lets put a smile on that face and….. why so serious."

There are instances where obesity is driven by genetic conditions or diseases the person has suffered from in their life time. Poly-cystic ovaries for example, causes weight gain in women but this is completely unavoidable.

Then you have the fat ****ers who just eat too much, and wedge themselves in front of a television all day and night, shovelling food in like they haven't seen it before.

So now we have the self inflicted selfish bastards and the unavoidable innocent sufferers. It's difficult to draw the line between the two without making the person fill out a large medical questionnaire before booking their seat (which isn't going to happen). So do you err on the side of caution and give all obese passengers extra facilities, or give them all nothing?
Give them all nothing. Those who really just physically can't control their weight are a tiny, tiny minority.

They should enact a secret measure where fatties are given seats next to air marshals, so that they could serve as bullet sponges in case a gun battle breaks out.

or at the very least facing other passangers as a sort of human airbag in case of crash

Obesity isn't a disease... but sure as hell is a cause of shit tons of them.

it's a virus!!!

Obesity [is] causing problems in children that were unthinkable 20 years ago. That is why the American Medical Association (AMA) is working to halt the spread of obesity.

make sure to wash your hands boys and girls to prevent Fattyism

I'd rather sit next to a fat guy on a plane then pesky little kids who's parents have no interest or control over them.

Back