Favorite Metal Songs???

DiscoBiscuit

Reaction score
I want to know some of the songs that get you really pumped. i'm also trying to get into some new bands so im open to all suggestions.

I like:

Otep
Cradle of Filth
Lamb of God
Pantera
Nightwish
Metallica
Celtic Frost
Dimmu Borgir
and so many more, but let me know what makes you tick...:bounce:

i really like 70s era sabbath, but a lot of people dont consider them a metal band.

****, i feel a long post coming on.

right at this second i'm listening to knut's challenger album, which i suppose is apt considering my name (-change) but whatever, it's been one of my favourite records of the last year and it's how many years old as it is. churningly frenzied sludge hardcore from sweden, long overdue for a new release right now but their back cat. will do, and oh how it does. a whirlwind of utter aggression, this is the reason why people get sweaty and hurt at gigs. this band, no one else. even if you aren't at a knut gig, you'll come away thinking whoever it is you just saw was knut when you left brusied with your brain dripping from your ears. stunning album, has a lovely littler acoustic interlude in the middle over various snippets of comm and radio chatter documenting the challenger shuttle explosion. nice.

as of recent i've been really getting into some horrible dirty grimey and filithy black metal, notably by the spasming and howling, bowels loosening and bladder emptying, vomiting helplessly... album by gnaw their tongues, a one man noise project from the netherlands. it's ****ing horrible, to put it nicely, except in the best possible way. depressingly bleak, ear scathingly noisey and as raw and grainey as you'd expect such a racket to come from considering the album title. ****ing dirt.

on a related subject, though steering pretty far away from anything so lawlessly horrid, i recently aquired cobalt's gin but haven't really gotten around to giving it the time it deserves. saving that for the 8 hour journey back to uni in falmouth on saturday. sounds promising so far! also have plaguebearer by wraiths which is more ambient noise then it is black metal, but again i need to give it some proper attention. s'good also.

mastodon delivered a poor album this year, but so called similars baroness have proved themselves worthy to me this last week as i got my hands on the blue record which is full'a riffs and beardy shouting which the 'don seemed to have abandoned in favour of some sort of in-ter-lect-you-al shit about czars and rockets or something. **** 'em, this is a great album, and i really didn't like this band to begin with in the first place. i must of favoured mastodon and how the tables have turned on that one.

****, i may as well just go and copy my post from the albums of the year thread as this post will eventually turn it something of the sort but no, i'm going through my recently played library instead and finding the recent gems. oh yeah, straight off of catching two ridiculously loud sets of SUNNO))) at ATP, i gave SOMA's khanate a good ear or ten when i got back, particually things viral though i also have capture & release to put time into but again, car journey to falmouth. how ****ing slow can a band get, i mean really? SUNNO))) were just a bit silly with all that - in the best way possible - but shit, khanate take the biscuit. it's screeching, howling and gasping over a few chords and it's probably the best thing i could of sat down and did **** all with when i was nursing a ****er of a hangover. reform already and let me witness you live.

oh, and i mentioned these in the now playing thread but the austerity programs black madonna is a beast of an album. i've come back to them this week because a few months ago i first listened to them on the way to my first term at uni and subsequently, the first two or three weeks so they've got a special place in my heart for good memories and times. two guys and a drum machine, a hardcore punk influence and some ****-off loud bass tone to go with it. i'm going to use the word racket again, but the good kind. i've probably used that before up there too but sod it, it is. and it's great. ONE TWO THREE FOUR!

Sabbath kick ass, and any fan of metal who says they are not or were not a metal band is a nooblet....they were some of the forefathers of the metal front and are responsible for a lot of the music we have today. so rock on and stay true to yourself friend.:bounce:

hmm, haven't heard of some of those bands you mentioned, but if youare getting into dirty raw nasty metal check out a song called "Psychopathologist" by Carcass, it's ****ing dirty and makes me feel unclean everytime i listen to it.

also, "Black Goddess Rises" by Cradle of Filth, from their demo in 1993 Total ****ing Darkness....it's really good.

carcass are alright, i caught a bit of them last year at damnation festival but i'm not overly fond of them so i went back to the rock sound stage to catch... i think it was cathedral, i forget though. there's not much grind i can really tolerate, cept for pig destroyer maybe. i'll give them props for being liverpudlians, though.

Cathedral..., i've heard of them, heard they were good but have not checked them out for myself. and yeah, carcass isnt all that great...a couple of good songs.

Carcass are a death metal/goregrind band (rather than black metal). Cathedral are a doom/stoner band who you might like if you like Sabbath, but they're not my cup of tea at all.

I may as well link to the short overview I wrote for another thread, since a dire year for extreme metal has done little to change any of the contents:
http://halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3025096#post3025096

It looks like a wall of text but there are a fair load of youtube links in there, which used to break up the text a bit better before embedding was disabled.

Not present in that list are Absu, whose recent live output I've been listening to a lot lately (having already spun all their studio albums innumerable times over the years). Here seen performing a black/thrash epic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZcBd7oCxk

Drudkh's When the Flame Turns to Ashes is also one of my favourite songs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OyZntijR9Y)

Used to like Lamb of God, but their music is purely mechanical and workmanlike- no real melody or feel to it. Utilitarian is the best way I can describe their music IMO. It feels like a machine wrote their music.

I like Avenged Sevenfold, but they're not really metal (although I hear that their next album is going to be much heavier than the last one). You gotta have Maiden and Sabbath, Pantera and Metallica, some of the newer stuff like All That Remains, and some of the heavier stuff like Dimmu Borgir. Dethklok is awesome too. I've also been listening to some of the old Norwegian stuff like Windir.

I'm planning on starting many new threads having to do with music, mostly metal, but i am looking forward to doing some trance threads, maybe some low-mood electronica, and folk. There's going to be a lot more though, i promise.

I personally like Breaking Benjamin and Cold, although they are more likely to be Nu-Metal bands. Ride the Lightning from Metallica kicks a**, too.

I actually like Breaking Benjamin, but im more occupied admiring Ben Burnley(their singer) than listening to their music, although i do love Until the End, Had Enough and Breath

I'm planning on starting many new threads having to do with music, mostly metal, but i am looking forward to doing some trance threads, maybe some low-mood electronica, and folk. There's going to be a lot more though, i promise.

Thank you for your diligence; we'd be lost without you! :rolleyes:

Sarcasm in a music sub-forum! Who would've thought?!

Cathedral..., i've heard of them, heard they were good but have not checked them out for myself. and yeah, carcass isnt all that great...a couple of good songs.

i'm not a big fan, it was just the best alternative at the time. i wouldn't know what to recommend of them, though i distinctly recall running into two brummie crust/grind punks after the fest who were big fans and i probably said i'd look more into them, but i haven't.

ohwowjn.jpg

Cool story OP.

So am I meant to list bands or songs?

Bands are easier to list:
SLIPKNOT...
HIM, The Misfits, System of a Down, Breaking Benjamin, Parkway Drive, Metallica, A Perfect Circle, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, In Love & War, Twisted Sister, Behemoth, Meshuggah, Iron Maiden, Atreyu, Disturbed, Lamb of God, Rammstein, Six Feet Under + A ****load more. Oh shit I meant to write 'Truckload more', Doy!

Hmm a lot of what GordonFreeman502 posted, plus Mastodon, Dethklok, Dream Theatre, Judas Priest and Liquid Tension Experiment (okay, thats more progressive rock).

I ****ing love Cradle of Filth....any particular album?
I like Meshuggah, Mastadon, Mortal Love, Nightwish, Echoes of Eternity, Lacuna Coil, Rob Zombie, Carcass, Korpliklaani, Gorgoroth, King Diamond, Celtic Frost, Virgin Blackl, Goatwhore, Pig Destroyer, and too many others to name, but these are some of my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJyrI2oKjwM

one of my favorite songs right here

Baroness have proved themselves worthy to me this last week as i got my hands on the blue record which is full'a riffs and beardy shouting which the 'don seemed to have abandoned in favour of some sort of in-ter-lect-you-al shit about czars and rockets or something. **** 'em, this is a great album, and i really didn't like this band to begin with in the first place. i must of favoured mastodon and how the tables have turned on that one.

I came in here to post this album. It's ****ing awesome and I reckon the Red album may be even better.

see i thought the red album was pretty rubbish.

i think weezer should be the only band allowed to name their albums colours too.

I don't see how you can like the Blue Album and be blown away by it and think the Red Album is rubbish. There isn't really a massive difference between the two. There's just a slight progression from one to the other and thats it. Not that that's bad or anything. Maybe try skimming through the Red Album again?

just didn't like it brah

john baizley is a great artist though

ambient black metal:
xasthur
wolves in the throne room
leviathan.
funeral metal:
thergothon.
drone metal:
sunn o)))
nortt
OM
burial chamber trio
doom metal/stoner doom:
burning witch
electric wizard(the 'dopethrone' album is one of the most heaviest, slowest, bluesey albums ive ever heard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDO3sq9kHmY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUZNz-3OO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Mhc4aWfx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmJs9K8FnwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqMZ9QwlKGs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIR1KfKXH6s

!!! how could i forget the best drone band around!!! people this is KHANATE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKIl4KKcJ6w

The one that goes like this-

DUNN DUNA DUNA DUNA -DUN DUN- DUNA DUNA DUNA -NUN NUN NUN- DUNA DUNA DUNAAAA

YOU'VE GOT TO DUNNA DUNNNA FIGHT THE BEAASTT DUNNA DUNNAAA FIGHTIN THE DEVIL I AM THE DEVIL FROM HELL BLACK AS NIGHTTTT DUNNA DUNNA DUNNNAAA
RIDINNN A MOTOR CYCLEEEEEE

Friend of mine just saw Isis and Meshuggah.

Sorry, ex-friend. :frown:

Back