FF beating IE marketshare

Asus

Reaction score
Ah got ya! Firefox (all versions) are not beating the total market share of IE (all versions).

But Firefox 3.5 is in 2nd place when you split up market share by version. If it keeps gaining and IE7 keeps falling then FF 3.5 could be number 1 among all the different browser versions. It is gaining faster than IE8.

And since there is a difference in how IE versions render and behave maybe it is worth looking at market share like this instead of just the browser name. IE vs FF vs Opera etc.

So what is the point of stats like these? It's not like the browser with the most users is the best.

Because obviously Chrome is the best.

Market share shows who you would want to tailor your webpage for since different versions and different browsers render things differently. They can show if a browser is 'better' especially when they are rising in the polls rather than being dominant because they are just there (IE).

I use both FF and chrome but I prefer FF for the usability and it works like I would expect it to. Chrome is quick and light (have on my netbook) but I don't do anything I want secure on the netbook.

This is very useful information if you do any web development.

I can't believe IE6 still has market share. I've gotten more headaches from trying to cater my code to its flaws than if I had spent my time smashing my head on a brick wall.

Chrome sucks more than Firefox.

ALL HAIL INTERNET EXPLORER! WE WILL STAY LOYAL! WE WILL STAND STRONG!

I wish there was a browser that was even in the same league as FF (as far as extensions), but until then, the other options are a joke, as far as I'm concerned.

If they manage to make FF leaner and more secure (like Chrome's sectioned off code areas), science help the other browsers.

Until Firefox and Chrome learns to acknowledge Active X, they will not have the most wired nation in the world.

Korean sites are largely incompatible with those browsers.

Until Firefox and Chrome learns to acknowledge Active X, they will not have the most wired nation in the world.

Won't happen.
ActiveX is the mechanism by which Internet Explorer (IE) loads other applications in the browser. Through ActiveX, IE loads Windows Media Player, Flash, Quicktime, and other applications that can read files embedded in web pages. ActiveX controls are activated when you click an item such as a .WMV file on a web page to download it for display in your Internet Explorer browser window.
In other words, for these reasons listed, it isn't necessary. Plug-ins fill this role in FF (and do a much better job IMO)

the other thing is:
As a Microsoft product, ActiveX was specifically designed to work with Windows systems. ActiveX is not supported by Microsoft on other operating systems such as Mac or Linux.

So does that mean Koreans have to use Windows to use Korean websites?
Because this system is capable of automatically downloading new ActiveX controls without your involvement, it has been exploited by spyware, viruses, and other malicious software. Internet Explorer has improved ActiveX security in a number of ways, and many of the security loopholes have been closed in IE 7. However, it is still relatively easy to download and activate a malicious ActiveX control on your computer.

Breakdown:
An ActiveX control is the equivalent of an NPAPI plugin. However, ActiveX and plugin technology have differences. While the potential effects of malicious content are similar, plugins inherently have better security features. Plugins have less control over the web page in which they are embedded and cannot be used in applications other than a web browser. ActiveX has broader use across a greater number of applications.
Active X allows websites to access all your files, change/remove files, and to control your computer. Why in the world would you need this feature for web sites to function properly? Ridiculous. I allow ActiveX to Microsoft Update only.

Most reputable sites, like Creative Technology, for example, have an alternate auto updater solution for people who aren't using IE/ActiveX.

Not gonna happen. You korean web developers are going to have to change your ways.

I used to use IE8 as my main browser until about a month or two ago when I switched to Chrome. It's an excellent browser, but this past week it's been a huge pain with not working with flash or some other websites for some reason (perhaps because I'm on the dev channel and something broke).

I may switch to FF if Chrome doesn't start behaving better.

Just switch to beta channel. I've been using it with no problems.

Chrome is abandonware. Try it in 2 years, it will have the exact same bugs you complained about.

Let me start this ****ing candle under their ass.

Chrome works great for me. Except for unsupported situations (which are lame and wholly unnecessary) I'm never going back, even to Firefox. And a pox upon you, Asus, lousy bait and switch!!

Won't happen.

In other words, for these reasons listed, it isn't necessary. Plug-ins fill this role in FF (and do a much better job IMO)

the other thing is:

So does that mean Koreans have to use Windows to use Korean websites?

Breakdown:

Active X allows websites to access all your files, change/remove files, and to control your computer. Why in the world would you need this feature for web sites to function properly? Ridiculous. I allow ActiveX to Microsoft Update only.

Most reputable sites, like Creative Technology, for example, have an alternate auto updater solution for people who aren't using IE/ActiveX.

Not gonna happen. You korean web developers are going to have to change your ways.

I used to use IE8 as my main browser until about a month or two ago when I switched to Chrome. It's an excellent browser, but this past week it's been a huge pain with not working with flash or some other websites for some reason (perhaps because I'm on the dev channel and something broke).

I may switch to FF if Chrome doesn't start behaving better.

Do you know why we have Active X? So we can safely transfer money as well as important financial information encrypted from the user side. The software needs Active X to install itself, so that the keyboard encryption, data scrambling or whatever is done to the information we are sending out.

Also, most of the online games we have require a browser so that we can log in, and also have anti-cheat tools enabled - all installed through ActiveX.

We've been doing this a lot more than you guys have been - we are the example to follow, not you.

Do you know why we have Active X? So we can safely transfer money as well as important financial information encrypted from the user side. The software needs Active X to install itself, so that the keyboard encryption, data scrambling or whatever is done to the information we are sending out.

Also, most of the online games we have require a browser so that we can log in, and also have anti-cheat tools enabled - all installed through ActiveX.

We've been doing this a lot more than you guys have been - we are the example to follow, not you.

Our internet works just fine, thank you very much. I think we'll stick with FF/Chrome.

And as great as Chrome is - until it has a version of adblock that works as well as it does on Firefox, I'm not changing.

Our internet works just fine, thank you very much. I think we'll stick with FF/Chrome.

And as great as Chrome is - until it has a version of adblock that works as well as it does on Firefox, I'm not changing.

It works because we allow for it to work. :borg:

This and noscript.
I've tried the ad extension available for chrome. Not like in FF.

I do hope you're joking.

No, I'm not joking. Do you see any way to protect your privacy with Chrome? No, there are no extensions. Super cookies.. it isn't just Google who is tracking us, there are over 90 different behavioral advertising networks that are opt out, and you need a plug-in to do so. No way to block ads, flash, javascript with Chrome either. They build a profile for every user on the internet, so that they can serve advertisements better. They don't want you blocking any of these things. This is how they make their money.

When you send a bug report using Chrome, it's opt out for a screenshot of what you are doing. Talk about invasion of privacy. I was sending a bug report while I had personal information on the screen, and it got me. Every time you send a bug report, it's puts a check mark in the "send a screenshot". Lol.

EDIT: OK, so I'm wrong? They allow extensions now in the beta Chrome? Great. I don't see any that increase privacy though.

Are you joking?

None of that is even needed to do the exact things you are doing. You think I can't connect securely to my bank? Play browser games? What?
Since the integration of Internet Explorer 2.0 with Windows 95 OSR 1 in 1996, and especially after version 4.0's release, the adoption was greatly accelerated: from below 20% in 1996 to about 40% in 1998 and over 80% in 2000.
In versions of Windows before Vista, it is also not possible to run Microsoft's Windows Update or Microsoft Update with any other browser due to the service's implementation of an ActiveX control, which no other browser supports. In Windows Vista, Windows Update is implemented as a Control Panel applet.

With Windows 7, Microsoft added the ability to safely remove Internet Explorer 8 from Windows.[80] Microsoft does not allow the dependencies to be removed through this process, but the Internet Explorer executable (iexplore.exe) is removed without harming any other Windows components.

fffade away.

I give up. It's like trying to convert a christian to atheism. You just simply can't SEE THE TRUTH! :p

You know, VirusType#2 is making assload of sense.
You can all keep on sucking thumps, and be in denial, but believe me you are being watched, and Google is the biggest watcher of all watchers.

After all, That is how, where and why Google makes money.

Good Luck, You'll need it.

Chrome sucks more than Firefox.

ALL HAIL INTERNET EXPLORER! WE WILL STAY LOYAL! WE WILL STAND STRONG!

You know what's fun? Spending 3 hours tweaking and recoding the CSS for a webpage to get it to work in IE and other browsers at the same time because Microsoft decided that standards compliance was chumps.

Back