Firefox 3.5 Final Released!

joule

Tank
Reaction score
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 Final is now officially available for download. Other than being the fastest Firefox ever, new features include a Private Browsing Mode to hide browser activity, a JavaScript engine known as TraceMonkey, new location services, Open Video, and HTML5 support.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5/releasenotes/

So who's got it and who's loving it so far?

Now, that's a fast, robust, standard compliant and efficient browser. I really love Firefox.

Note: the new Javascript engine is awesome. You can use SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark to test it. Internet Explorer is beaten down very badly.

holy shit, that was fast. the site loaded about 3 times as fast and this page was lickedy split

much faster than the previous version, but chrome is still a bit faster... gonna stick with chrome for now ;)

Just installed.
Oh dear God this is wonderful.

I'm gunna stick with Firefox because 3 years and running and it still easy to navigate for me. why switch if you don't need to right??

I don't notice any difference. But then again, I didn't notice anything like that before.

Oh well, I'm up to date at least, lol.

I'm gunna stick with Firefox because 3 years and running and it still easy to navigate for me. why switch if you don't need to right??

Because you gain cool points for not going for the normal mainstream app.

I don't notice any difference. But then again, I didn't notice anything like that before.

The big difference is in Javascript-heavy applications. Cloud computing, highly dynamic sites, Google Maps, Ajax technology, and so on. Web 2.0, so to speak. Yes, Chrome is still a bit faster but I think that Firefox is more mature and robust.

no, because all my bookmarks are here, my passwords are saved, you know....the added benefit of normalcy. i've tried safari and chrome and i just didn't like their differences. firefox is as easy as pie

You mean Internet Explorer? :) From a technological point of view, IE is the worst of all current browsers. It's good at rendering normal, static web pages, but when it comes to dynamic apps, Explorer is crap. As a software/web developer I can say this for sure. It's giving me serious headaches when doing the work for which I am paid for. Everything runs fine and fast in Chrome/Safari/Opera/Firefox but *not* in Explorer. Damn it.

But maybe you were not talking about IE. Sorry, I just hate that crap.

Just updated, considerable speed improvement felt. I know some people prefer Chrome but I'm not a fan of the minimalist lay out. Sure its more simple but I like FF the way it is <3

This download will cause some of your extensions to stop working:

Adblock Plus
ColorZilla
DownloadHelper 4.2
Google Toolbar
MeasureIt

I guess I'll wait :p

This download will cause some of your extensions to stop working:

Adblock Plus
ColorZilla
DownloadHelper 4.2
Google Toolbar
MeasureIt

I guess I'll wait :p

All those, aside from DownloadHelper, still work bro.

Damn, didn't realize I had such an old version. I pressed the update version and it said something like 3.011, so I just downloaded the 3.5 installer. This should be a huge improvement for me.

Firefox 3.5 JavaScript rendering speed:

pub

A massive improvement.

I'm reading now a review of Firefox 3.5 here.

Speaking about the Private Browsing feature, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want private browsing at all times. Why would I want someone spying on me. I'm not sure, I haven't got to that part of the review yet.

This is something I haven't seen before. You can even play the video inside.

Wow, this is the most awesome thing I've ever downloaded:bounce:

But what did they do with the icon? New icons suck!(especially this one)

Damn, didn't realize I had such an old version. I pressed the update version and it said something like 3.011, so I just downloaded the 3.5 installer. This should be a huge improvement for me.

There was nothing between 3.011 and 3.5, you didn't miss much. They tend to make these big jumps often.
it's looking pretty sweet!, The new icon in the corner is clean, and I've already customized my toolbar a little, adding a button for History and Downloads. I like it!

Huh, I have 4 Firefox icons on my desktop now, it was only 1 before I installed 3.5 :S

zmhaix.png

Speaking about the Private Browsing feature, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want private browsing at all times. Why would I want someone spying on me. I'm not sure, I haven't got to that part of the review yet.
Private Browsing refers to privacy for the computer you are on in that it prevents your session from being saved to things like the history where, unless you clear the entire history, anyone on your computer can see what sites you've been to.

You are just as exposed on the net with it on or off.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Private+Browsing

Huh, I have 4 Firefox icons on my desktop now, it was only 1 before I installed 3.5 :S
Wow, that's certainly a bug.

I didn't select to 'put an icon on the desktop', and it worked correctly for me. No icon.

Private Browsing refers to privacy for the computer you are on in that it prevents your session from being saved to things like the history where, unless you clear the entire history, anyone on your computer can see what sites you've been to.

You are just as exposed on the net with it on or off.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Private+Browsing
Ah! Ok, thanks.

I still hate the bright color of firefox, but a theme will clear that up. at least every site I've ever visited doesn't show up in the address bar, that was why I never used FF3. All the sites I visit are bookmarked, I don't need every page in my address bar too.

EDIT: Are NONE of the darker themes compatible? Jesus christ this default theme is kind of annoying and......BRIGHT AS ****

Are NONE of the darker themes compatible? Jesus christ this default theme is kind of annoying and......BRIGHT AS ****
Well, it came out yesterday, so probably not yet.

I just have mine set to use my Windows Theme.
Joule said:
Speaking of which, have you taken a look into the new personas feature? They're just so totally cool!

www.getpersonas.com
Yea this is sweet. Thanks, I hadn't tried it before.

Even though the available choices are excellent, I'm definitely going to have to make my own persona. :)

Is there a way to preview before finally submitting my persona?

I still hate the bright color of firefox, but a theme will clear that up. at least every site I've ever visited doesn't show up in the address bar, that was why I never used FF3. All the sites I visit are bookmarked, I don't need every page in my address bar too.

EDIT: Are NONE of the darker themes compatible? Jesus christ this default theme is kind of annoying and......BRIGHT AS ****

I'll seriously never understand how people can not like the Awesome Bar. It's possibly the single biggest browser improvement since.. well, the first browser with a GUI.

For example, I sometimes wanna use one of the amazing smilies of Something Awful, so I just hit Alt+D to select the bar, type "smilies" and the first hit is the SA page with all the smilies. I can't think of a non-annoying way to do it without the Awesome Bar. Bookmarks? Hah, never use them. Much faster to just type where I want to go, rather than use the mouse.

Or if I want to find a forum thread and only remember certain keywords that were in the page title, I'll just enter it and find it in 5 seconds. Like this awesome thread.

And for privacy you can use the new privacy browsing feature and in the past you could simply install Distrust which worked in the same way.

middle mouse click doesnt work, and all-in-one gestures doesnt work either. sadface

it doesnt work when i use it to scroll through a page, but it does work to create new tabs and stuff.

no one else?

Back