First Greenlit Games Revealed Including Black Mesa, Cry of Fear & NMRIH

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The community have voted and the first 10 games which will be accepted by Valve onto Steam have been chosen. After going through the Greenlight process, once chosen a game is fittingly described as 'Greenlit'. The first 10 are:
A victory for a couple mods which have been Greenlit to make it onto the Steam platform officially. The fi rst set of titles to launch via Greenlight will be released independently in the months ahead (as they are varying stages of completion), but we know in the case of some of the titles they are already available. Black Mesa will be available in around 2 days time, which could mean finding a decent mirror to download it won't be such a problem anymore!

steam_greenlight.png

Man, Cry of Fear was one of the worst mods I've ever played.

For a HL1 mod it wasn't half bad. Did you only play the co-op? That was a pretty bad experience.

Man, Cry of Fear was one of the worst mods I've ever played.

This. The story in it made no sense. So you're this guy who's trying to escape monsters by trying to find his mom's house. I don't understand how hiding in your mom's house is any safer. Plus just about all of the reviews I've read praise CoF just for it's graphics.

Happy to see Black Mesa, McPixel, Project Zomboid, and Routine make the list. Look forward to seeing some of the first releases.

For a HL1 mod it wasn't half bad. Did you only play the co-op? That was a pretty bad experience.
The UI was so unintuitive that it hurt. The monsters, while looking good and having some original designs, brought nothing good to the gameplay. It was either run straight at you and melee, or look at you and shoot projectiles. Copy paste new models for different monsters.

Visually the game was okay, and having coop is always commendable, but the gameplay was not thought out or implemented well at all.

Did you only play the co-op? That was a pretty bad experience.

It brings back nothing but bad memories. I hated killing everything with sticks and dying every 30 second

Yay for Project Zomboid.

Also wtf why is this page a search result for "girl mythbusters"?

Because we're full of science and sexiness.

Black Mesa will be available in around 2 days time, which could mean finding a decent mirror to download it won't be such a problem anymore!

Not if they'd made a torrent, like Adam Foster did for Minerva. :)

Though I agree, it's definitely not a problem anymore.

I'm guessing you've just gotten the internet and were used to graphics like Call of Duty and Battlefield.
You seriously suck,regards Ainsley Harriot.

Are you 10?

H&G sounds good, its more like MW (modern warfare) or something like that but then in WW2

This. The story in it made no sense. So you're this guy who's trying to escape monsters by trying to find his mom's house. I don't understand how hiding in your mom's house is any safer. Plus just about all of the reviews I've read praise CoF just for it's graphics.
Technically, the story followed a drug addict wounded in a car accident. It represented how he struggled with self-hurt, anger towards himself, and towards his family. The random 'Nightmare' scenes were him panicking about how his life will turn out, and how many times he's planned suicide. You have to look a bit deeper, and pay a bit more attention than in most mods. It's a bit like 'Dear Esther', or 'Korsakovia'.

but Dear Esther is good at storytelling

but Dear Esther is good at storytelling
But this one required a deeper understanding. You had to infer quite a lot with CoF, unlike in Dear Esther. Think of it as a poet's rendition: they don't ever say 'it's cold'. They describe everything without ever coming out and saying the temperature. CoF never came out and said 'he's suicidal', but they left dozens of little hints everywhere.

I don't think so. Cry of Fear has well crafted atmosphere, but it's very much inspired by Silent Hill, while lacking its artistry and emotional involvement. Dear Esther's metaphors are more elaborate, tackle more themes, and its narrative progresses better.

Back