First person Animation

Stormy

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I have just finished my first first person animation, its nothing specil just a shooting animation, i have renderded it into a .avi. I was wonding if anyone knows any hosting sites that i might be able to bung it on here?

Ok i think i have uploaded um now.

http://media.putfile.com/Animation45 - First person
http://media.putfile.com/Animation287 - From the side

These are my first animations on max really, not very complex i know but hopfly its only a beginning.

Thanks for the link and yea i agree it is starting to get a little dry, i stoped using max for a wile but now i found a few decent VTM's im gunna try and get back into it again. Wanting to learn some animation, character modeling and also joined Black Mesa: Source. So look out for some work from me in the future ;)

Haha, yea i been a member for ages! Look at the post count! GERRRR!

looks pretty good, but it looks like the arm is too small... it looks a little bit funny towards the bottom the the screen.

Its not so much a time machine as it is a dodge ball cannon! BAM BAM BAM!

I guess ill have a try and lifting the arm up a little, the arms i believe are the defult cs arms, im missing the texture though and its also not my rig.

How do i render an animation? I have just found the "make prewiew" thing..
Nice one btw

go to render ... check render range of frames or something to that effect nd then go to save file and save it as a avi.

first off you want to select the range as mindless said, then click on file and make sure its on .avi or .mov and give it a file name and then render. I made a lovly screen shot to ilistrate my point. Have fun.

Attachments

• anihelp.JPG
    anihelp.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 188
what codec did u use when it asked u to select one?
edit:stormy ur animation is way too long too loop well ....the firing animations in hl are lik 7 frames long .

Woohay! Just finished my first reload animation, took me a wile because i keped having random problems but overall im really happy with it. C+C encoraged because im really up for making any kind of improvements on my animation!

http://media.putfile.com/reload44 - 3mb file

Nice start Stormy, a few things though for CC:

Hand clips through the mag intake at one point.
There is a jump near the begining (might just be the video)
The bottom of the arm is made visible at the end of the reload
Its a little fast
Little finger for that lever? :)

Nice start though yeah, like the finger movements, pretty neat stuff

very very nice ... i have 2 crits.
1) when hes puttin it back in hes seems to be just throwing it in u need to have him place it in in a more sturdy fashion and not so easily and then make the gun jerk back because of the secondary motion.
2) similar to the magazine u need to make the gun jerkback more and then come back to its original position when the bolt is pulled. . btw did u rig that?

jheaddon said:
Nice start Stormy, a few things though for CC:

Hand clips through the mag intake at one point.
There is a jump near the begining (might just be the video)
The bottom of the arm is made visible at the end of the reload
Its a little fast
Little finger for that lever? :)

Nice start though yeah, like the finger movements, pretty neat stuff

Yea i know there are a cople of bits where it clips but its really tricky trying to make sure it dosnt clip at all, its vertaly impossible to make sure it dosnt clip anywhere during the animation. Hopfly when i get more experienced though ill be able to get rid of most of these little problems, but its going to take time i think.

mindless_moder said:
very very nice ... i have 2 crits.
1) when hes puttin it back in hes seems to be just throwing it in u need to have him place it in in a more sturdy fashion and not so easily and then make the gun jerk back because of the secondary motion.
2) similar to the magazine u need to make the gun jerkback more and then come back to its original position when the bolt is pulled. . btw did u rig that?

1. I defo tryed to get the gun to jerk back as you say but its quite fiddly trying to change the parenet objects all the time, but i learnt alot doing these cople of animations so im hoping next time i would have improved quite abit.
With the clip going in, i really wanted to try and be abit more origanal, i thought i would look pritty cool if he sort of chucked it in with abit of style!

2. Again i did try and make the gun come back with the cocking, when i get around to my next animation im really going to try and get small details like that becoming alot bigger and more imposing so it really sticks out in the animation.

Na its not my rig, but next step is to learn to rig but i also ave to do some modeling and design work as well.

I think the shootinganimation looks good. However, don't let him lose the grip. If you do that you lose your aim and no CT does that. I also feel it takes too many frames to get back into default position. Other than that it looks good.

About the reload: Try to animate a reload sequence where the shooter uses the left hand to grab the clip, insert it and pull the cockinghandle. You have to flip the model of course, but since it's the wrong way in the first place, why not flip it now?
You also have too floating animation at the end when he graps the cockinghandle. Doesn't look very efficient. Make him turn the hand while he raches for the handle. ow it looks like he does two actions seperate where he should do them both at the same time... Minor tweeking and you got it

Mikademius said:
I think the shootinganimation looks good. However, don't let him lose the grip. If you do that you lose your aim and no CT does that. I also feel it takes too many frames to get back into default position. Other than that it looks good.

About the reload: Try to animate a reload sequence where the shooter uses the left hand to grab the clip, insert it and pull the cockinghandle. You have to flip the model of course, but since it's the wrong way in the first place, why not flip it now?
You also have too floating animation at the end when he graps the cockinghandle. Doesn't look very efficient. Make him turn the hand while he raches for the handle. ow it looks like he does two actions seperate where he should do them both at the same time... Minor tweeking and you got it

I really understand what your saying about the hand coming off and using the left hand to reload with, it makes total sence that this is how someone would most likely reload a weapon. But i thought i would try and add somthing a little unortahdox and abit more intresting to the animation by having all the random movment. I think it adds a little more to it and makes it stand out better.

That's good :) Trying to stand out shows that you actually think before you go. However I would still try to fix the floating animation here. As I said, minor tweeking ;)

look pretty good. its about time we saw some animations beeing posted around here.

Hey guys,
I'm kind of a novice at all this stuff, but want to learn. So you guys with all this knowledge are like rock stars to me right now lol. Is there any chance anyone will be releasing any tutorials on this stuff? Stormy if you make a tutorial of how you made that animation come together from the start, I'd be your best friend for life :D.

Oh and can't wait to see the black mesa source mod come together, I know rabid from another forum, keep up the good work guys...

Back