First Third Party Steam Machine Unveiled

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
The first official third party Steam Machine has been revealed and no it's not the Piston. This box is from iBuyPower and doesn't seem to have an official name yet but there are two different prototypes, one codenamed Gordon and the other Freeman. The specs are vague but the device will have an AMD CPU and a discrete GPU.

untitled-png.24573

The price has not yet been set, but the device will be "competitive against the PS4 and Xbox One" while promising that it will be able to play "all games" at 60 frames per second and 1080p. The machine will come packaged with Valve's controller sometime next year. For more information and photographs of the box head over to the announcement at Tom's Hardware.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 13,248
I read somewhere else that it will cost 500€ and will have a AMD R9 270 or something like that. And that it will be smaller than Xbox One but bigger than Playstation 4

Total BS. They can't make that promise.

it depends on what they mean with "all games". all games to date: yes. The article doesnt say if it will all games on ultra on 60fps on 1920x1080. you can always get 60+ frames if you lower the settings. except the game doesnt support more than 30frames. (Halo 1, latest Need for Speed)

I really hope this green light can be disabled. Who wants to play with an annoying useless big green light above the TV?

I cannot help but think that Source2, Half-Life3 and the "Steambox" are
all eventually going to come together. It makes the most sense from a marketing
standpoint. There is simply not much interest in the steambox at the moment. If
they come into the console market without something special it will fail. Now
if it comes into the market with Half-Life 3... thats a different story.

Look at the amount of views a half-life news topic gets compared to any steambox.
Steam box may get around 2,000, while some half-life topics get a quarter of a
million views on here! I don't see why valve would not use the popularity of
half-life to help increase initial sales of the steambox.

Look at the amount of views a half-life news topic gets compared to any steambox.
Steam box may get around 2,000, while some half-life topics get a quarter of a
million views on here! I don't see why valve would not use the popularity of
half-life to help increase initial sales of the steambox.

I would say that Half-Life topics are more relevant to the ValveTime.net community, but that the ValveTime.net community isn't representative of the entire world.

Also if the success of the Steam Machines were to ride solely on the existence of a single shooter sequel, then they better start digging it's grave today.

now if only someone would make a steam machine laptop....

That would completely defeat the purpose... these machines are meant to be in the living room using your TV as the monitor. You'll be able to install SteamOS on a laptop and play with a controller while you are on a plane or something if you want, though.

That would completely defeat the purpose... these machines are meant to be in the living room using your TV as the monitor. You'll be able to install SteamOS on a laptop and play with a controller while you are on a plane or something if you want, though.

but I'm not interested in steam OS or the controller(though both look nice) the reason i want a steam machine laptop is it's nearly impossible to find a good, affordable gaming laptop with moderate specs. most of the stuff companies sell just comes with intel graphics which is terrible

but I'm not interested in steam OS or the controller(though both look nice) the reason i want a steam machine laptop is it's nearly impossible to find a good, affordable gaming laptop with moderate specs. most of the stuff companies sell just comes with intel graphics which is terrible

If you are not interested in the OS or the controller, then you don't need a steam machine. There is no such thing as a "affordable gaming laptop with moderate specs". They are expensive and age quickly. If you had the OS on the laptop, you could stream from your main PC as long as you are on a strong WiFi signal.

If you are not interested in the OS or the controller, then you don't need a steam machine. There is no such thing as a "affordable gaming laptop with moderate specs". They are expensive and age quickly. If you had the OS on the laptop, you could stream from your main PC as long as you are on a strong WiFi signal.

which is exactly why i want them to create one.....because nobody offers any right now. and laptops don't age any faster than desktops

which is exactly why i want them to create one.....because nobody offers any right now. and laptops don't age any faster than desktops

No, but they have a shorter lifespan. Desktops are endlessly upgradeable

Does anyone think valve will build a openworld game.

To long have I been using consoles and I'm sick of them. I just need a steam machine or pc a f**king wifi connection and any game with source 2 engine. Loads of awesome mods all the epic shooters pc offers and just games in general.

I know im not a pc gamer just yet but I feel iv read enough articles to realise there better than consoles, this is why steam machine is perfect for me. For some reason I'm starting to hate microsoft and ea the greedy f**kers. I wish they'd stop being pricks or preferably die, I mean the businesses not the people. God I hate them.

Back