For everyone with the HL2 Retail Collectors Edition

Boogymanx

Reaction score
You do NOT get DoD: S
2. Collector's Edition:
-- Half-Life 2
-- Counter-Strike: Source
-- Half-Life 1: Source
-- Half-Life 2 DeathMatch (download via internet only)
-- Half-Life 2 T-shirt
-- Prima book sampler (not the full "Prima Strategy Guide" or the "Raising the Bar" book).
Click here
Stupid Collector's Edition.. even though I got it cheaper than my brother got HL2

If you had checked when ya bought it you wouldn't be moaning now, would ya?

Devvo said:
Parent's don't have a CC, plus my brother paid €5 extra, so I could annoy him with that. And I don't really like WW2 games, or armyish things, I really don't like CS: S

so what are you complaining about? you didnt get a game you didnt want

Because it'd be nice to pretend you actually care about DoD

if you bought the bronze edition, do you actually have to buy a whole new silver or gold to play dod:s? they will lose a lot of money if thats the case.

poseyjmac said:
if you bought the bronze edition, do you actually have to buy a whole new silver or gold to play dod:s? they will lose a lot of money if thats the case.
No I think it's upgradable. So you just pay the difference. Probably plus a bit more for changing.

I have gold and I can't wait for DOD:S.

Originally Posted by Devvo
My parents bought it for me for Christmas. They didnt even know it ran on Steam. So i get screwed. Sometimes it isnt our choice.

If i can get DoD:S as a retail CD ill be fine, but i will not order it through steam and just get a download.

Kebean PFC said:
If i can get DoD:S as a retail CD ill be fine, but i will not order it through steam and just get a download.

I don't understand that mindset. It's much safer than CD (CDs break) you can always reinstall without going through tons of CDs, you can instantly play (I know, it's wierd, but it doesn't even download it)...

There's so many advantages it's hard not to seem stubborn and stupid saying you refuse to order it through steam.

I think it's ultimate proof of the materialism in this world, people feel more satisfied possessing something rather than enjoying it. It's a bummer it has to be so.

TheSomeone said:
I don't understand that mindset. It's much safer than CD (CDs break) you can always reinstall without going through tons of CDs, you can instantly play (I know, it's wierd, but it doesn't even download it)...

There's so many advantages it's hard not to seem stubborn and stupid saying you refuse to order it through steam.

I think it's ultimate proof of the materialism in this world, people feel more satisfied possessing something rather than enjoying it. It's a bummer it has to be so.

Hey I like my retail editon rather than buy it through steam. Who has the time to download like a 3gb file? Plus maybe he doesn't have a credit card. I don't and I don't like buying things off the net either. I would rather buy it from a store where I can hand them the money and they can do there thing face to face. I know valve isn't going to rip me off but what if one of there servers to buy the game fails or whatever? If you bought the game from the store and there debit didn"t work you can just say "Ok I'll pick it up when your machine is fixed" Your money isn't locked away without your contol.

There is no download time, as I've said already, and even if there was, DOD:Source won't be 3 gb. You pay, it says "processing order" for 5 seconds, then you can immediatly play. Don't ask me how it works because I don't know (I think it downloads while you play).

There has been no problem with anyone buying games through steam, and I don't see how it could happen to you alone. They have enough servers so that even if half of them crash (which would be wierd) you could still purchase your game. And if all the servers DO fail, it won't accept your order and you can wait until they are repared just like it would happen in a store.

Ya you do have to download it. You must have preloaded the files before it was unlocked cause they way of you speak I'm pretty sure is impossible. The way it works is you already download the files but there encrypted so you can't play until the game is officially released.

man, that kind of pisses me off.

I got the CE, paid good money for it, and no dod:s

If its not under 20$, no way will i buy it. And I love DOD. Would just assume drop 35$ and get BF2

I'm wondering, why isn't DoDS going to be free like DoD?

on Steam it says

'Thank you!
You have already purchased Half-Life 2 on Steam. At present, only one HL2 offer may be purchased per Steam account'

So can i get it through Steam????? I've only got CS:S free with the package i bought in the shops [UK]

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
man, that kind of pisses me off.

I got the CE, paid good money for it, and no dod:s

If its not under 20$, no way will i buy it. And I love DOD. Would just assume drop 35$ and get BF2

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? I'm sorry, but this mentality beggars belief... you didn't pay for a package with DoD:S included, thus you don't get it.

my question remains open - htf do i get Dod:s after buying the basic package?

Read the news at the front page, it's purchaseable as a stand-alone package for 19.95.

I've read everything and I'm still completely lost... What is the point people are trying to make here?

That you have to pay $19.99 for DoD:S with a credit card.. and you can't just buy it for cash in a store?

OR

You have to pay full $50-$60 for DoD:S with a CC if you bought the retail version of Half Life 2? Not one link explained this...

I like many others bought HL2 in the store for $50. I didn't even have any clue about Steam at the time. So now I have to pay full price for DoD Source? I have a CC so that's not the problem, but I sure as hell aint paying double everyone else because I bought a completely different game (HL2) in the store instead of downloading it online. In fact I'll just boycott Valve if that's the case because this is just getting ridiculous and Steam sucks imo. I'll just stick with Battlefield 2 instead of giving my money to Gabe.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, so hopefully the following will clear any questions that people still may have.
I bought CE retail and have just finished pre-loading, compare my pre-load screen to PickledGeko's:

Mine has a a 'Pre-order now' button on it plus it tells me I need to pre-order to play. Also the following came up after I finished my pre-load:

If you bought any retail copy of HL2 or the bronze version you will not get DoD:S free, you will have to pay $17.96USD for it (if you buy it before the 26th) and pay for it with a credit or debt card, you won't have to buy any part of HL2 again to play it.

How to get DoD:S?

There are two ways to buy DoD:S. One way is buying it over Valves own platform Steam, the other one is buying it in a store.

1. Buying over Steam: Buying over steam is currently only possible with a credit card. Several credit cards are supported right now, like Visa or MasterCard. You also have to add the normal sales tax for your country to the price.

Using a creditcard with steam is secure and fast. No information about your credit card will be stored. Hundreds of customers brought their games over steam without any problems. You will also get an electronic printable receipt. Other payment methods than credit cards are promised by Valve.

- DoD:S standalone: You simply buy only DoD:S. You pay the price, your steam account will extended and you can download DoD:S and play it, once it is released. The price has been announced as $20.

- DoD:S in a package: DoD:S is included in the Steam silver and gold package. Both packages give you access to DoD:S, HL2, CS:S and all old HL1 based titles. The price for the silver package is $59,95, for gold $84.95. Both offers are already available. More Information

1. Buying in a Store:
Buying in the store means, you will get a cd/dvd with an installer, maybe an instruction manual and real box. Tax is included in the price. The prices and the release dates are not official. All offers are ready for pre-ordering.

- CS:S Multiplayerpackage: With this package, you will get CS:S, HL2DM and DoD:S. The final price isnt announced yet. Some onlinestores, like EBGames.com or Amazon.com has it listed for $39.95. A final release date isnt announced yet as well, both stores saying mid-september.

CS:S [email protected]
CS:S [email protected]

- HL2: Platinum Edition: The second retail package with DoD:S included is the Halflife2 Platinum Edition. This package is similar to Steam silver, but it includes also the upcoming HL2-addon Aftermath. Listed price currently is $59.99 and can be pre-ordered. Release date according to the online store is November, 1st.

HL2 Platinium [email protected]
HL2 Platinum [email protected]

TheSomeone said:

I got the retail just because it just feels better to have the game on disc (DVD in my case).
And I really do think it's kind of cheap that Valve punishes us with the retail version like this... not sure if I'll ever get DoD now :|

what will be price in UK for standalone cd/dvd DoD:S ?

edited

well i had to pre buy DoD source because I got the retail hl2 (standard)..this sucks

Guys, you cant buy dod:s standalone in cd/dvd format..unfortunatly... just buy it from steam NOW for $20...£12 round about for uk people. I dont see the problem, you want it...you buy it over net and pre load it, youll be able to play as soon as its released then. Dont complain if you didnt buy silver or gold, they paid for dod:s when they bought their packages.

Quite easy to understand when u think about it....enjoy dod...i know i will

Yellonet said:
I got the retail just because it just feels better to have the game on disc (DVD in my case).
And I really do think it's kind of cheap that Valve punishes us with the retail version like this... not sure if I'll ever get DoD now :|

Oh Noes!

How the **** is Valve 'punishing' you? You saw what came with the bundle you were purchasing, just as those who bought collectors eds did, and you bought it. It's your ****ing call, and saying that Valve is punishing you highlights your immature attitude towards this; it's not Valve's responsibility to give away stuff that costs money to people who didn't purchase it.

JPack said:

I didnt think dod:s could be bought on cd/dvd, my bad if thats true.
If that price is correct, isnt that a bit rediculas 30 quid!!!!! when u can buy it off steam for just over a tenner??

sinkoman said:
I'm wondering, why isn't DoDS going to be free like DoD?

DoD was a mod when it was first released. Mods are free. When VALVe took on DoD as their own, activision released a retail version that cost money, just like this one.

figge said:
1. Buying over Steam: Buying over steam is currently only possible with a credit card. Several credit cards are supported right now, like Visa or MasterCard. You also have to add the normal sales tax for your country to the price.

Not true, all debit/ATM cards will work too.

Zeus said:
well i had to pre buy DoD source because I got the retail hl2 (standard)..this sucks

Too bad you lacked any common sense last November then eh?

JPack said:

They won't sell dod:s for £29.99, that's about $50, the price of a new game.

Yellonet said:

VALVe isn't punishing you, evidently you were illiterate when VALVe announced the packages and what they contained last year. If you knew you were going to want DoD:S, maybe you should've spent the extra $10 then like most of us.

To be fair though, it said on the side of the boxes what came with what, and in the steam package info, I can't stand people moaning about being robbed of a game that they haven't even paid for!
If you pay for a box of chocolates, then find out the ones you like aren't in it, are they supposed to give you those extra for free? No. Go buy it like the rest of the world has to.

what if you are not able to use credit cards?
i mean sure i'll buy anything i want now if i were to have a credit card

but i bought hl2 retail because i wanted a hard copy and i had only cash(plus what if i had 56k?). i mean if they retailed silver or gold i'd buy it definetly...but they didn't.

213 said:
what if you are not able to use credit cards?
i mean sure i'll buy anything i want now if i were to have a credit card

but i bought hl2 retail because i wanted a hard copy and i had only cash(plus what if i had 56k?). i mean if they retailed silver or gold i'd buy it definetly...but they didn't.

Then that's what THIS retail version is for, you still payed less than what the Silver or Gold users payed online, so stop acting like you got ripped off.

And where is there still 56k? I thought that was only for Africa by now.

If your bank doesn't do debit cards or visa-electrons, I think its time you moved bank...

it's not that...my area and pretty much my life is very simple aside from a computer.

i have very little control over what i buy. in fact it's been months since i bought anything. my parents just won't do it. won't apply for anything either. no cards....just cash.

also i'm well aware that the other versions are more expensive...but what i'm getting at is that they are going to retail dod:s along with css for $40. silver and gold guys get dod:s for 10 dollars. guys who have cred cards can buy dod:s for 20 dollars on line.

why couldn't they just retail dod:s with nothing else. just dod:s for 20 or maybe 30(if they want a profit) in retail? do they have a vendetta against hl2 retail buyers since we bought from viviendi and not steam?

i'm sorry, i have no on-line purhcasing powers, and i only have cash. let me have just one moment of joy with dod:s before i go to college next year.

Back