Forum etiquette

Adabiviak

Space Core
Reaction score
What is the preferred method for contributing to an 'old' topic in a new way? Replying to an existing thread gets people static for, well, replying to an old thread. Posting a new thread about the same topic gets complaints about not using the search function, although quoting the original thread in your topic post seems to help.

What is the preferred method for contributing to an 'old' topic in a new way? Replying to an existing thread gets people static for, well, replying to an old thread. Posting a new thread about the same topic gets complaints about not using the search function, although quoting the original thread in your topic post seems to help.

Quoting from the old thread and putting a link to it in the start of your new one would be cool IMO.

I was thinking about this - having recently spent a lot of time reading over the old points I found a few that I'd like to comment on, but didn't want to be labelled as a Necromancer... ;)

Search before making a topic. If you still have something to ask or contribute after reading older related threads, or if you have a very specific and worthwhile response to a post in the old thread, you can bump it. Necroposting is fine so long as you're not bumping threads from like 2004 and as long as there is a justifiable reason to necropost (like a thread the other day from 2006, the guy who bumped it did so because he figured out what the Combine code being discussed in the thread meant).

It's fine to make a new one too. It's something of a catch 22 since people will bitch at you either way, but from a moderation standpoint as long as you aren't making it for a stupid reason and there isn't a thread from like last month about it you're probably good*. I'd say most of the time you'd be better off making a new thread, if the old one is more than a year old, and simply linking that thread / quoting what it is from it you want to respond to.

* I can't speak for Pi or Samon though, so still make sure your asshole is taped shut

It's fine to make a new one too. It's something of a catch 22 since people will bitch at you either way, but from a moderation standpoint as long as you aren't making it for a stupid reason and there isn't a thread from like last month about it you're probably good*.
I think people generally think along those lines, but there is some variation with the kinds of topics being posted....

- Posting a 'hey look guys, this is cool!' thread to a piece of news or website isn't for the faint of heart: I guess my advice is to double check it's actually new... If it isn't, don't bother at all, even if it's years old. ("Oh Hay Guise, All you Base are belong to us lols"). That said, it's not like it's impossible to start up a conversation about something you've only recently come across that people consider 'older than <humourous old thing here>'. The general rule is probably that you should never assume that any piece of information you have is new to anyone on the face of the earth, because unless you're chiselling it out of the surface of Europa yourself, it isn't. So adapt your writing style to suit (Not sure exactly, but saying something along the lines of 'I can't believe I've only just found this' before someone says it for you is probably a good start).

- 'Favourite X' or other opinion gathering topics should never been resurrected once dead, but a new thread on the same topic shouldn't be made for at least half a year. A year is probably better. And whilst you're checking whether it's been done before, look at the discussion that happened in the last two pages so you can figure out if it's going to be worth the extinguisher refills.

- When it comes to Half-Life itself, older members aren't especially tolerant of new anything on old topics and debates on a franchise which has hardly been rushing towards revelations. Really, we should all just stay away, and the old debates among new members should be encouraged... But all too many times, there's that unwanted thread resurrection that invites you back to say something sarcastic. I think the rule for Half-Life discussion is simply this: ALWAYS create a new thread if it hasn't been discussed in the last 3 months. Even if the stars align and you've genuinely come up with something people didn't figure out five years ago, the import of that thing is simply not going to be great enough to impress everyone in the thread who will involuntarily sucked back into a discussion they stopped caring about so many moons ago. All this is best done whilst acknowledging that you're not some soothsayer of Half-Life lore. Don't wade into the forums and tell everyone you know it all - this goes equally for us older members too though.

I personally like how the community here handles old topics in most cases. I've known forums where curmudgeonly veterans will shout at any re-discussion when the original thread is on page 17 and several years old (noting that 'several years old' and 'page 17' give an accurate insight into how glacial discussion becomes as a result of a few wannabe-moderating overlords).

There are the odd exceptions. Myself, Ennui, pom and Danimal were pretty damn impressed at this fine example of post-mortem communications

ALWAYS create a new thread if it hasn't been discussed in the last 3 months. Even if the stars align and you've genuinely come up with something people didn't figure out five years ago
I disagree. If you come up with something and there's already a thread for it, I think it should be posted in the old thread.

I disagree. If you come up with something and there's already a thread for it, I think it should be posted in the old thread.

I suppose therein lies the problem - you will 'never' please everybody - as there'll always be someone who doesn't like the way others do something.

kupocake's post sounds best to me. I'm new here, but well aware that 95%+ of other members here have already seen / found out / discussed to death all the things that I've found 'as new'... ;)

Oh, and...

"Oh Hay Guise, All you Base are belong to us lols"

:E

There are the odd exceptions. Myself, Ennui, pom and Danimal were pretty damn impressed at this fine example of post-mortem communications
Brilliant! I've been sat here for the last three years, constantly refreshing this thread, waiting for someone to explain all the above.

God bless you, Mr Ninja. I can finally move on with my life.
Err...

Thank God he didn't pick on my sarcas--

Uh.

Carry on.

I say someone creative draws up some HL2.net Achievements. I'd love to get some ;)

Ok so my sarcasm detector was broken, but I was impressed.

Back